What WP features do you think Apple will steal for iOS 7?

Samst22

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
As the title says. This is one thing I'm really worried about: once iOS and Android copy all the awesomeness from WP (which will happen), then the current iPhone and Android users will have no reason to switch over. This could lead to the end of Windows Phone :(.

Features I think will be copied:

Kids' Corner (Definitely)
Some form of Live Tile/Icon implementation
Integrated People/Contacts
Pinning of people/twitter contacts to home
Apps being able to change lockscreen (Maybe)

I doubt Microsoft have any patents that would prevent apple making decent copies of these.

Post what you think they might copy.

martinmc78

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Microsoft have got patents up the a$$ - live tiles have been around for over 2 years now and its not been copied yet, so has pinning contacts to the start screen as those functions were there on WP7. Microsoft are in the top 10 companies for patents awarded in 2012 with over 2100 patents & 9 billion dollars R&D spend according to a recent article. Apple werent even mentioned in the article let alone the top 10 list. Those features are what make WP unique theres not a chance they will let anyone even remotely copy those features without a heavy fee for each device sold

arrowrand

Dec 13, 2012
Visit site
Microsoft have got patents up the a$$ - live tiles have been around for over 2 years now and its not been copied yet, so has pinning contacts to the start screen as those functions were there on WP7. Microsoft are in the top 10 companies for patents awarded in 2012 with over 2100 patents & 9 billion dollars R&D spend according to a recent article. Apple werent even mentioned in the article let alone the top 10 list. Those features are what make WP unique theres not a chance they will let anyone even remotely copy those features without a heavy fee for each device sold
Pinning contacts to the home screen has been in Android all the way back to the Eclair days. That was a feature on my original Droid.

Live Tiles on my Lumia are neat and all, but their similarity to widgets is undeniable. They look different, and function in their own way, but they are a spin on widgets.

martinmc78

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Pinning contacts to the home screen has been in Android all the way back to the Eclair days. That was a feature on my original Droid.

Live Tiles on my Lumia are neat and all, but their similarity to widgets is undeniable. They look different, and function in their own way, but they are a spin on widgets.

Didnt know that about android and pinning contacts so thanks for the correction. And yes there is a similarity between the widgets and live tiles but theres no mistaking the design is completely different. The metro UI really sets WP apart from android and iOS.

ohgood

Aug 20, 2011
Visit site
As the title says. This is one thing I'm really worried about: once iOS and Android copy all the awesomeness from WP (which will happen), then the current iPhone and Android users will have no reason to switch over. This could lead to the end of Windows Phone :(.

I doubt Microsoft have any patents that would prevent apple making decent copies of these.

What has iOS/Android copied so far?

The things you've mentioned were on ios/android first.

stmav

Retired Moderator
Sep 18, 2012
Visit site
I thought for the most part Microsoft and Apple have been playing nice lately. I don't see any problems.

martinmc78

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
I cant see apple stealing anything this time around. Theyve stolen ideas and told the masses they are there own since day 1. Theyve pushed skeumorphism to its limits. Got a feeling they may actually innovate and come out with something new this time around.

Think they have to if they want to get back on top. They are losing too much marketshare to android and now WP while still not that significant is still taking a % off them. With BB10 coming up as well thats another drop in marketshare for the two top dogs.

arrowrand

Dec 13, 2012
Visit site

All but kids corner are features of Android, and have been for a very long time.

Live Tiles and widgets are too similar to ignore. Tiles are a unique spin on the whole idea, but they're just widgets.

Samst22

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
I was mainly talking about iPhone, since I don't really know much about android. Just mentioned Android as well because I knew they didn't have kids' corner.

arrowrand

Dec 13, 2012
Visit site
I was mainly talking about iPhone, since I don't really know much about android. Just mentioned Android as well because I knew they didn't have kids' corner.
Oh, I see. When you mentioned iOS and Android in the same sentence I assumed you just weren't aware that Android has all but one of those features, just not the same implementation.

Fitu Pham

Jan 9, 2013
Visit site
I think People Hub will be the first thing to be copied.
Then Manual Photo upload with full resolution to the cloud.
Try it first before you buy an App in the windows store.
Photo app intergrated Cloud photo albums, facebook photo albums

Surely these great fetures will be copied!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

ohgood

Aug 20, 2011
Visit site
I think People Hub will be the first thing to be copied.
Then Manual Photo upload with full resolution to the cloud.
Try it first before you buy an App in the windows store.
Photo app integrated Cloud photo albums, facebook photo albums

Surely these great features will be copied!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

your foo is strong

JacksonSQD

Dec 24, 2012
Visit site
Even if these features were patented, I'm sure Apple will be able to afford paying the fees, or more likely, cutting a deal for copying them.
And if all this does happen, unfortunately all the credit is going to go to Apple for being "innovative".

crystal_planet

Jul 6, 2012
Visit site
I've always looked at the relationship between iOS and WP as two opposing armies looking at each other across a DMZ and never firing a shot. If one were to come up with a feature that resembled the other too closely, I can imagine the other saying, "Uhh, no." and that would be that.

elibohnert

Jan 12, 2012
Visit site

I had a version of kids corner built into my HTC phone from 2011 so that's not orginal from Microsoft either.
iOS already had FaceBook and Twitter built into it's contacts app.
I could pin that kinda stuff on Android for years.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
infohills