Redefining the PC

Why Microsoft's Surface phone could be MUCH more than a mere 'phone'

Surface Pwn 5

Surface Pro 5, Project NEON details leaked on LinkedIn?

XP-YESSSSSSS

Dell's already awesome XPS 15 gets even better in 2017

Surface table meets Windows 10

Yes, we did put Windows 10 on the original Surface table ... and it rocks

Cream o' the crop

Before buying a Microsoft laptop, check out our pick for the absolute best

Simple and secure, just the way I like it

We think Windows 10 Cloud is a great idea, here's why

uber micro

Halo Wars 2 has something for everyone. Here's our full review.

Oldie but goldie

We reviewed Microsoft's decade-old Surface table

Creators Update comin' at ya

These are the coolest new features in the next big Xbox One update (video)

Buyer's guide

The Razer Blade 14 is the best laptop Razer has to offer

Windows 10 app gems

10 terrific Windows 10 apps you should be using

Tower of power

Here's what we think of Dell's XPS Tower Special Edition

Quite a deal

Grab the complete C# coding bootcamp for $41!

Your go-to laptop guide

Introducing our ultimate laptop buyer's guide

Listen here

Attn Android and iPhone users: What you need to know about Windows phone

Old is new?

The original Surface Pro still holds its own in the 2-in-1 world

Xbox Greenlight?

No, internet, Microsoft isn't opening Xbox to all UWP games

Falling in love

HP Envy 34 review: An ultrawide curved all-in-one after my heart

2015 machine in 2017?

Surface 3 still holds its own in 2017

Let Kodi cut your cord

You should be using Kodi for Windows 10

< >
Welcome to the Windows Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Results 1 to 17 of 17
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By arrowrand
  1. Samst22's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    96 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
       #1  
    As the title says. This is one thing I'm really worried about: once iOS and Android copy all the awesomeness from WP (which will happen), then the current iPhone and Android users will have no reason to switch over. This could lead to the end of Windows Phone :(.

    Features I think will be copied:

    Kids' Corner (Definitely)
    Some form of Live Tile/Icon implementation
    Integrated People/Contacts
    Pinning of people/twitter contacts to home
    Apps being able to change lockscreen (Maybe)

    I doubt Microsoft have any patents that would prevent apple making decent copies of these.

    Post what you think they might copy.
  2. martinmc78's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    2,745 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,777 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #2  
    Microsoft have got patents up the a$$ - live tiles have been around for over 2 years now and its not been copied yet, so has pinning contacts to the start screen as those functions were there on WP7. Microsoft are in the top 10 companies for patents awarded in 2012 with over 2100 patents & 9 billion dollars R&D spend according to a recent article. Apple werent even mentioned in the article let alone the top 10 list. Those features are what make WP unique theres not a chance they will let anyone even remotely copy those features without a heavy fee for each device sold
  3. arrowrand's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    142 Posts
    Global Posts
    156 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by martinmc78 View Post
    Microsoft have got patents up the a$$ - live tiles have been around for over 2 years now and its not been copied yet, so has pinning contacts to the start screen as those functions were there on WP7. Microsoft are in the top 10 companies for patents awarded in 2012 with over 2100 patents & 9 billion dollars R&D spend according to a recent article. Apple werent even mentioned in the article let alone the top 10 list. Those features are what make WP unique theres not a chance they will let anyone even remotely copy those features without a heavy fee for each device sold
    Pinning contacts to the home screen has been in Android all the way back to the Eclair days. That was a feature on my original Droid.

    Live Tiles on my Lumia are neat and all, but their similarity to widgets is undeniable. They look different, and function in their own way, but they are a spin on widgets.
  4. martinmc78's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    2,745 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,777 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by arrowrand View Post
    Pinning contacts to the home screen has been in Android all the way back to the Eclair days. That was a feature on my original Droid.

    Live Tiles on my Lumia are neat and all, but their similarity to widgets is undeniable. They look different, and function in their own way, but they are a spin on widgets.
    Didnt know that about android and pinning contacts so thanks for the correction. And yes there is a similarity between the widgets and live tiles but theres no mistaking the design is completely different. The metro UI really sets WP apart from android and iOS.
  5. ohgood's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    1,016 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,019 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by Samst22 View Post
    As the title says. This is one thing I'm really worried about: once iOS and Android copy all the awesomeness from WP (which will happen), then the current iPhone and Android users will have no reason to switch over. This could lead to the end of Windows Phone :(.

    Features I think will be copied:

    Kids' Corner (Definitely)
    Some form of Live Tile/Icon implementation
    Integrated People/Contacts
    Pinning of people/twitter contacts to home
    Apps being able to change lockscreen (Maybe)

    I doubt Microsoft have any patents that would prevent apple making decent copies of these.

    Post what you think they might copy.
    What has iOS/Android copied so far?

    The things you've mentioned were on ios/android first.
  6. stmav's Avatar
    Retired Moderator

    Posts
    3,685 Posts
    Global Posts
    3,767 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #6  
    I thought for the most part Microsoft and Apple have been playing nice lately. I don't see any problems.
  7. martinmc78's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    2,745 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,777 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #7  
    I cant see apple stealing anything this time around. Theyve stolen ideas and told the masses they are there own since day 1. Theyve pushed skeumorphism to its limits. Got a feeling they may actually innovate and come out with something new this time around.

    Think they have to if they want to get back on top. They are losing too much marketshare to android and now WP while still not that significant is still taking a % off them. With BB10 coming up as well thats another drop in marketshare for the two top dogs.
  8. arrowrand's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    142 Posts
    Global Posts
    156 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by Samst22 View Post
    Features I think will be copied:

    Kids' Corner (Definitely)
    Some form of Live Tile/Icon implementation
    Integrated People/Contacts
    Pinning of people/twitter contacts to home
    Apps being able to change lockscreen (Maybe)
    All but kids corner are features of Android, and have been for a very long time.

    Live Tiles and widgets are too similar to ignore. Tiles are a unique spin on the whole idea, but they're just widgets.
    elibohnert likes this.
  9. Samst22's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    96 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
       #9  
    I was mainly talking about iPhone, since I don't really know much about android. Just mentioned Android as well because I knew they didn't have kids' corner.
  10. arrowrand's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    142 Posts
    Global Posts
    156 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by Samst22 View Post
    I was mainly talking about iPhone, since I don't really know much about android. Just mentioned Android as well because I knew they didn't have kids' corner.
    Oh, I see. When you mentioned iOS and Android in the same sentence I assumed you just weren't aware that Android has all but one of those features, just not the same implementation.
  11. mlm1950's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    484 Posts
    Global Posts
    494 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #11  
    This thread is going well.
  12. Fitu Pham's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    69 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #12  
    I think People Hub will be the first thing to be copied.
    Then Manual Photo upload with full resolution to the cloud.
    Try it first before you buy an App in the windows store.
    Photo app intergrated Cloud photo albums, facebook photo albums

    Surely these great fetures will be copied!


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
  13. ohgood's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    1,016 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,019 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by Fitu Pham View Post
    I think People Hub will be the first thing to be copied.
    Then Manual Photo upload with full resolution to the cloud.
    Try it first before you buy an App in the windows store.
    Photo app integrated Cloud photo albums, facebook photo albums

    Surely these great features will be copied!


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    your foo is strong
  14. JacksonSQD's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    50 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #14  
    Even if these features were patented, I'm sure Apple will be able to afford paying the fees, or more likely, cutting a deal for copying them.
    And if all this does happen, unfortunately all the credit is going to go to Apple for being "innovative".
  15. crystal_planet's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    1,018 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,088 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #15  
    I've always looked at the relationship between iOS and WP as two opposing armies looking at each other across a DMZ and never firing a shot. If one were to come up with a feature that resembled the other too closely, I can imagine the other saying, "Uhh, no." and that would be that.
  16. elibohnert's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    13 Posts
    Global Posts
    49 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by Samst22 View Post
    As the title says. This is one thing I'm really worried about: once iOS and Android copy all the awesomeness from WP (which will happen), then the current iPhone and Android users will have no reason to switch over. This could lead to the end of Windows Phone :(.

    Features I think will be copied:

    Kids' Corner (Definitely)
    Some form of Live Tile/Icon implementation
    Integrated People/Contacts
    Pinning of people/twitter contacts to home
    Apps being able to change lockscreen (Maybe)

    I doubt Microsoft have any patents that would prevent apple making decent copies of these.

    Post what you think they might copy.
    I had a version of kids corner built into my HTC phone from 2011 so that's not orginal from Microsoft either.
    iOS already had FaceBook and Twitter built into it's contacts app.
    I could pin that kinda stuff on Android for years.
  17. brianLTE's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    119 Posts
    Global Posts
    136 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #17  
    An xbox music like streaming service.

Similar Threads

  1. What apps do you think are still needed for Wp?
    By hyperova in forum Windows Phone Apps
    Replies: 129
    Last Post: 01-14-2015, 07:31 PM
  2. Replies: 34
    Last Post: 12-30-2012, 08:22 AM
  3. Do you think sprint will ever get a wp8.smartphone?
    By 12Danny123 in forum Windows Phone 8
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 07-03-2012, 05:06 PM
  4. Do you think we will see more carriers carry WP8 phones
    By fraincs in forum Windows Phone 7
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 06-29-2012, 12:38 PM
  5. do you think wp8 will bring any dramatic ui changes?
    By DontHate707 in forum Windows Phone 7
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 02-22-2012, 06:20 AM

Posting Permissions