IPhone Beating Nokia 10-to-1 Leaves U.S. Effort in Doubt

JerseySal

Aug 7, 2012
Visit site
The problem is the culture. Everything has to be NOW. It's as if people think if Nokia doesn't get to the top immediately, they suck balls. Give it some more time. I have my WP8 already, and I'm happy with it. I don't give two fuc*s if everybody else doesn't have one. It's a good phone IMO, and if it flops, something better will be available by then. It's a mother-fuc*ing phone for Christ's sake! It's not a life/death thing. I'm not going to worry that my WP8 is frowned upon by a bunch of hipster iTards and punk ass Google turds. They all stink. (I could have stated this nicely, but I felt like being overdramitic -_- )

PS.

I love all Mobile Nations peeps.

TK2011

Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
According to AT&T, iphone beat all Androids combined by 5-to-1 also. So what does that mean? C'mon, let's leave those sensational headlines outside of here.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
I love my 920 but I had to give up some things to switch from the iphone, seems silly but stuff like having to get all new accesories to function with the new device, loosing capability to work nicele with my car stereo, and many apps that we used regularly just not on WM8 yet.

About a month after I got the 920 my wife decided she liked the larger display and instead of getting an iphone 5 she replaced her 4 with an HTC 8x. Just like me it took a few days to adapt to the new OS and find stuff on the phone, but the inability to operate through her car stereo the same as well as some critical missing apps that she needs for convenience and work killed it, 3 weeks later she traded it back in for a new 5 and loves it.

That sums up 90% or more of your smart phone users. They aren't technical enough to get over the little stuff and find other ways to do them on the new device or overlook missing things in because they have a superior device. They are willing to spend the same or more money for, what is in many ways, an inferior product because its comfortable and easy to use for them. And lets be honest here, Siri is great, I haven't seen anything else that works as well, and watching my wife seamlessly use it in day to day for scheduling and even verifying her schedule on certain days is pretty neat.

I keep the 920 because I love it, but I hate the fact that the gmail doesn't work as easily and it f-ing kills me that I can't plug my phone into the usb adaptor in my car and charge the phone while using the head unit to control music like I did on the iphone. And everytime we have to deposit a check my wife bust my balls about not having a functioning Chase app to make deposits. But I overlook because I love the device for everything else.

I think this post sums it up for most consumers. WP might have a new, smooth, fast, and exciting UI, but ultimately a user is sacrificing functionality. To some users it may not matter, or workarounds can be found, but the vast majority expects to pull the device out of the box and use it. As a new WP7 user, I was frankly surprised by the lack of maturity, after being released 2+ years ago. A lot of functions, which Android & iPhone users have come to rely on, are not there.

My first smartphone was a WM device back in 2008 or so, then I went to Android, then to iPhone, then to WP7. Currently I'm using an Android again. I wanted to make WP7 work, but I had already had a couple years of Android/iPhone, and I couldn't do it.

TonyDedrick

Dec 8, 2011
Visit site
The problem is the culture. Everything has to be NOW. It's as if people think if Nokia doesn't get to the top immediately, they suck balls. Give it some more time. I have my WP8 already, and I'm happy with it. I don't give two fuc*s if everybody else doesn't have one. It's a good phone IMO, and if it flops, something better will be available by then. It's a mother-fuc*ing phone for Christ's sake! It's not a life/death thing. I'm not going to worry that my WP8 is frowned upon by a bunch of hipster iTards and punk ass Google turds. They all stink. (I could have stated this nicely, but I felt like being overdramitic -_- )

PS.

I love all Mobile Nations peeps.

I think at the end of the day, people just want their money's worth. Now certainly, it isn't that hard to do research on a device and know that it doesn't have the features you are looking for. I think in the WP community, some might be a bit disappointed because there was all this hype (at least on this site) about WP8, W8 and the Surface. It was supposed to be the game changer. And while it has distinguished itself from previous iterations, I don't think its had the affect many hoped. For me personally, I could careless if everyone else has one (though it helps to have the devices in as many hands as possible to get those missing apps). I just want to know that there is some commitment from Microsoft to this platform. I don't work for them, so I can't say what their level of commitment truly is. But from the outside looking in, its a bit disconcerting in some aspects. Still some basic features missing, the music/media situation being half ass and just a lack of transparency on when some of these things will be fixed just doesn't infuse you with a lot of confidence.

As I said before, this platform has my support. But it isn't blind and undying. MS has to meet me (and all WP fans) half way. Unless you are satisfied with how things are now.

D

dmdavid

first of all,NOKIA has never been good in N.A. And second of all,this is a brand new product,and it doesnt have the years and years of hype and free publicity that Iphone had. They cant take over overnight,especially when they still dont have alot of apps that would entice buyers into choosing this platform. This is not news and not a surprise.

Alex Rodriguez Jr.

Feb 16, 2011
Visit site
I'll be honest, I have little pursuading me to read this entire thread. What I will say, though, is that Nokia has been selling flagship Windows Phones for less than a year in the United States, and in that short time, they have changed the view of the OS in the eyes of a lot of people. Enough to switch? That remains to be seen, but I promise you, the G1 was not the most successful phone in history. Actually, if I remember correctly, following the G1, people said Google was doomed... We know how that turned out. Give it time.

TonePhone

Banned
Jan 23, 2013
Visit site
I love my 920 but I had to give up some things to switch from the iphone, seems silly but stuff like having to get all new accesories to function with the new device, loosing capability to work nicele with my car stereo, and many apps that we used regularly just not on WM8 yet.

About a month after I got the 920 my wife decided she liked the larger display and instead of getting an iphone 5 she replaced her 4 with an HTC 8x. Just like me it took a few days to adapt to the new OS and find stuff on the phone, but the inability to operate through her car stereo the same as well as some critical missing apps that she needs for convenience and work killed it, 3 weeks later she traded it back in for a new 5 and loves it.

That sums up 90% or more of your smart phone users. They aren't technical enough to get over the little stuff and find other ways to do them on the new device or overlook missing things in because they have a superior device. They are willing to spend the same or more money for, what is in many ways, an inferior product because its comfortable and easy to use for them. And lets be honest here, Siri is great, I haven't seen anything else that works as well, and watching my wife seamlessly use it in day to day for scheduling and even verifying her schedule on certain days is pretty neat.

I keep the 920 because I love it, but I hate the fact that the gmail doesn't work as easily and it f-ing kills me that I can't plug my phone into the usb adaptor in my car and charge the phone while using the head unit to control music like I did on the iphone. And everytime we have to deposit a check my wife bust my balls about not having a functioning Chase app to make deposits. But I overlook because I love the device for everything else.

This quote 100% sums up the experience with a WP8 device and Microsoft for seem reason seems to ignore it. Well said sir!

cgk

Nov 25, 2011
Visit site
It is pretty clear that the american smartphone market is reaching saturation and that the action will be about switchers rather than people changing from dumb-phones, so it is going to be hard for Nokia. *however* the real problem for Nokia is that in growing markets they are being left behind.

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
At the end of the day Nokia (and lets not forget HTC, how big was the margin for 8x vs the iphone?) can only do as much as the OS allows them to do. And when you put aside the ****** glasses and really take a good look at WP8 you will see that its lacking vs the competition and no matter what tech Nokia crams into a device that will ultimately be the deciding factor when choosing a device so these numbers shouldnt really surprise anyone.

Also consider that Microsoft is worth billions and just reported another record quarter you wonder why WP8 is still missing so many features and seems to still be a side project for Microsoft rather than a main focus for the whole company. Nokia and HTC have brought their A-game to the hardware side, Microsoft and their glacial pace of improvement and empty promises are really the ones to blame for WP underperforming.

Nataku4ca

Jun 7, 2011
Visit site
considering iphone beat wp7x at about 100:1 I think 10:1 is pretty damn good.
thats what i was thinking too, 10:1 is not a bad ratio right now and is actually pretty good

now, if they can cut that down to 5:1 by end of this year then we will have the marketshare we need

Nataku4ca

Jun 7, 2011
Visit site
Surely for the individual consumer, it has to be about now - seems stupid to buy a smartphone on the basis of what it maybe couldbe should do in the future.
i think his point is directed at analysts, don't think he is talking about individual consumers buying the product... the problem worth pointing out is when analysts spin their headline like this it sheds bad light on something that is actually good and it affects people that play in the stock market and present the wrong perspective for consumers that are doing research

sinime

Retired Moderator
Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
And WP8 is actually sitting in a better position than 10:1 when you throw HTC & Samsung into the mix. Not to mention there aren't flagship Nokias on every carrier.. At least not yet.

DontHate707

Jan 3, 2011
Visit site
i officially have one friend i know with a 920, he said he got it because his iphone was ****ing up. so 10-1 sounds about right i mean iphone is just to popular usually android is a hit or miss with most users but at least we have one and not none

bawboh86

Sep 14, 2012
Visit site

My sister had the same issue with switching. She's tried every smartphone OS in NA (thanks to me), but always goes back to iPhone because "she just knows it", every time admitting that the phone she's leaving is superior. EVERY TIME. She's tried every version of Android, WP7 and 8, and WebOS. But she's always back to her iPhone for fear of having to spend time with her phone.

Also, Chase's app allows you to do quick deposits from a Lumia 920. Source: I use this feature myself.

MezJr

Dec 12, 2012
Visit site
It's all about what each person's use-case is. Anyone trying to say people are only into iPhones because they're "comfortable" or "sheep" or whichever other derogatory term is simply untrue on a blanket level. If you already have an iPhone its always easy to just re-up to the latest and greatest. If you're getting a new smartphone an iPhone is frankly the safest bet.

The fact of the matter is the iPhone is an awesome smartphone. Accept that. It has a huge library of apps, in fact in many cases it's the de-facto primary app platform for many developers.

You can't talk people out of an iPhone by saying its a bad gadget because it's not. It is however missing some key features that the Lumia needs to sell to capitalize on.
L920 beats iPhone 5: video quality, low light quality, cost, durability, wireless charging, nfc (challenge here is to make that MEAN SOMETHING on a mass scale, its a nerd feature right now), screen quality, camera button, default maps, navigation.

L920 beats most Android phones in: meaningful customization (you can do almost anything in android, but most people won't get into making their own icons or theme, I'm sure most people don't even change their launcher., os speed/stability, email (holy smokes andriod email is awful), messaging (no group mms in anything but latest JB), built in VVM (in Andriod this requires a carrier specific app or transfer to google voice), build quality or feel vs the majority of Andriod handsets, cost for a flagship phone, os updates.

I'd almost think they need to simply air their smoked by windows phone and meet your match campaigns on tv. Combine that with Nokia specific ads featuring nokia music (pandora but no ads), nokia drive, city lens and so on. Plus the little delights such as the pinned photo app where it cycles through your photos, once you get a good library of photos going you get neat little surprises.

I think in truth WP8 and L920 need to poach andriod harder than iPhone. Right now you got people coming off Froyo and Gingerbread android phone contracts. Frankly in my experience those OS's were terrible. Going from GB or FY to WP8 has to be like stepping out of the 3rd world.

In the interest of full disclosure I'm coming at this as a sort of smartphone nerd/explorer, I've had a iPhone 3g, 4 (even jailbroke this one), a Galaxy Note that I rooted and tossed a few custom roms onto, and now a L920. Also own an iPad and used to own a Nook Color.

Last edited:

madsedan

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for the headsup on the Chase app, it didn't work for a long time, I'll put it back on my phone, they must have gotten it correct this time!

Looking at the long term potential growth of anything you have to reflect on growth up to this point, and growth from WM7 to WM8 is nothing to shake a stick at. The executives at any cell phone company notice that allot more than they notice if Windows Mobile is STILL behind IOS in sales. I truly believe that WM8 is growing at a great pace and will continue to do so for the foreseeable future.

When my kids look at mom's iphone 5 and my 920 they absolutely love mine. Why is that, because its different, thats where the market growth is for Microsoft, IOS is stale. If the Iphone 5 hadn't come out as simply a longer version of the 4 and was a larger display with some tweak to IOS with live tiles I'd probably have one now. But now that I've been rocking the 920 the iphone feels so tiny, I end up getting my reading glasses out, and feel like a giant trying to navigate it.

vlad0

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
I remember both of them.. the astound was a branded Nokia C7, which was a Symbian 9.5 device (still the old UX) and I don't know if it ever got updated to 10.x (belle UX). I remember the 71x as well... I had my unlocked E71 for almost a year before AT&T started selling the E71x.. it was too late.. RIM had that segment covered in the US anyway.

Nokia has a tendency not to advertise their phone properly.. for some strange reason over the years they've always had features in their phones that no one else has (a lot of firsts as well) and they never cared to tell people about it. I think it was all because they controlled/dominated the market for so long, they didn't need any advertising... well now they do, they need an amazing marketing camping.. and it needs to be a very long one.. like 12 months non stop.

I don't know what is the deal with Microsoft.. they seem to be better at it.

As far as the iPhone outselling the Nokias.. not surprising at all. I live in California and I can honestly say that 90%+ of the people I see/meet have an iPhone.. old, young.. whatever.. its apple land out here and I don't see how that is going to change anytime soon

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99