Welcome to the Windows Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 110
Like Tree56Likes
  1. ttsoldier's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    2,233 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,906 Global Posts
       #1  
    And I know some of you will say that the US Is not everything but that percentage of consumers does count for a lot.
    As mentioned in the article, it is too early to tell what will happen with regards to WP8 and the US Market. Microsoft / Nokia also needs to up the ante ALOT on the marketing. Customers need to be more aware of Windows Phone.

    "“Customers just don’t know what they can get,” Jeronimo said. “They’re not familiar with the apps, services or what the phone can do. This is something Nokia must change.”"

    IPhone Beating Nokia 10-to-1 Leaves U.S. Effort in Doubt - Bloomberg
  2. Casl4V's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    4 Posts
    #2  
    I have a Lumia 920 and my wife has a 900...the kids each have an iPhone 5 (thank goodness for corporate discounts). In every way shape and form I think the Nokia's are way better. However, the teens absolutely are spellbound by "iDevice X." I don't know how Microsoft and/or Nokia can cause a cultural change in one or two generation of phones/apps nor should they be expected to. Microsoft has the deep pockets for a prolonged fight and with Apple's stock finally starting to undergo the correction it needs, things may not be as bleak as one might think.
  3. TonyDedrick's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    638 Posts
    #3  
    As far as getting recognition out there, maybe take the phone out of the hands of the tech press and do the advertising yourself. Do something radical like half hour infomercials during primetime all about WP on high profile networks. Or do a concert special with todays hottest music acts performing in one segment and then showing off WP and its features in another.

    And I know this is beating a dead horse. But something has to be done about the missing major apps. Whether you personally use them or not, their omission is glaring. I'm sure the WP team is working hard to do something about it. Maybe something radical like creating their own services or buying a vimeo or fhotoroom is Google or Instagram refuse to create official apps.
  4. Bicpug's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    89 Posts
    #4  
    Well the Nokias are very poorly displayed in the UK, could be the same in the USA. Apple usually have their own POS/display section in the phone shops i've been in; the nokias were just dumped on a corner shelf where you need to search them out.
    aximtreo likes this.
  5. tekhna's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    500 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,058 Global Posts
    #5  
    It's worse than 10-1. It's more like 12-1 on AT&T alone, assuming AT&T sold all 700,000 phones, which they didn't, obviously. Instead, it was 700,000 across all of North America, so truthfully it's however many iPhones sold in North America divided by 700,000. Verizon sold 6.2 million, so just adding in Verizon it's 18-1. Adding in Sprint makes it 20-1.

    Sucks because what it means, given that only half of the iPhones sold were iPhone 5s. Means people are opting for cheap iPhone 4/S instead of competing cheaper phones.
  6. JMBasquiat's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    190 Posts
    #6  
    How is this a surprise? Apple has name recognition in the US and Nokia does not (it is slowly working to fix that). iPhones will sell simply because they're iPhones; people want to have an iPhone because their friends have an iPhone, and they've heard "they're the best". People willing to change their phone to something else, or those bored with the iPhone are a relatively small part of the smartphone-buying crowd. That's where Nokia comes in. Hence the 10-1.
    Thanked by:
  7. erzhik's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    403 Posts
    Global Posts
    588 Global Posts
    #7  
    The problem is advertising. For some reason, Nokia and Microsoft absolutely REFUSE to advertise features and functions of WP8 devices in US. I don't know why, but they do. Have you seen iPhone 5 ads with Panorama and noise cancelling mics? Great ads, stupid.. but great for average consumers. Have you seen WP ads? Yeah, the ******ed celebrity endorsements that nobody cares about. How many people actually bought a Lumia or any WP device because of those ads? Microsoft doesn't know how to advertise, it's plain and simple. Nokia should've used OIS to advertise like they did during unveiling. Yeah, we remember those pictures, even the harshest critics were shocked. They should also advertise Cinemagraph and Smartshoot.
    nohra likes this.
  8. spyderzWPC's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    214 Posts
    #8  
    I know it seems like nokia is not doing anything, but I have noticed when I am out at night more and more people actually having nokia devices.
    Thanked by:
    snowmutt and LeLee092 like this.
  9. mlm1950's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    479 Posts
    Global Posts
    487 Global Posts
    #9  
    Are companies not allowed to try to grow sales anymore? If something doesn't sell better than the competition at launch, then that product is doomed?

    And articles like this help in what way?
    Thanked by:
  10. antsin3d's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    128 Posts
    #10  
    Haha, so a newcomer to the market is not selling as well as the most iconic smartphone company that essentially invented the modern smartphone. Right, who'd have thought that would happen!
    Thanked by:
  11. Xellsama's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    117 Posts
    #11  
    Well if you think about it, iPhone's market share among smartphones in the US is about 51%, Windows Phone in general (not just 8, definitely not just Lumia 920) is about 2.6%. Apple has 20 times more market shares. Which means, if this trend is to continue for Apple, they need to be selling iPhones at least at 20 to 1. Now, as someone said above, counting in all carriers Apple is selling at this ratio, but only towards Lumia phones (WP8 only too). While the other companies, such as HTC and Samsung, are not currently making as much sales as Nokia, together they would add a good amount as well, making the ratio less than what it needs to be for Apple.

    Along with the facts that 1) Lumia supplys are catching up; 2) Verizon confirmed to have more Windows Phone 8 coming; 3) Sprint confirmed to have more WP8 coming; 4) Asus, Lenovo among others are also considering making WP8s; mathematically Windows Phone 8 is really catching up, albeit slowly.

    No one expects WP8 to be selling at the same rate as iphones or androids at this time, and it probably won't even get close in the short term, but the fact is that they are selling at a faster rate than their market share indicates, which is, a good thing to know.
  12. realwarder's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    1,146 Posts
    #12  
    Owners are the biggest marketers.

    iPhones got big because people showed a friend and said "here, looks at this". And friends saw something they said WOW to.

    If you're excited about your phones, friends will take a look...

    However the biggest downer no matter how good the hardware/OS is is the 'does it have all the apps' question. To which the answer of course is NO... Microsoft seriously need to push this BIG TIME, paying for apps if required.
    snowmutt and LeLee092 like this.
  13. madsedan's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    62 Posts
    #13  
    I love my 920 but I had to give up some things to switch from the iphone, seems silly but stuff like having to get all new accesories to function with the new device, loosing capability to work nicele with my car stereo, and many apps that we used regularly just not on WM8 yet.

    About a month after I got the 920 my wife decided she liked the larger display and instead of getting an iphone 5 she replaced her 4 with an HTC 8x. Just like me it took a few days to adapt to the new OS and find stuff on the phone, but the inability to operate through her car stereo the same as well as some critical missing apps that she needs for convenience and work killed it, 3 weeks later she traded it back in for a new 5 and loves it.

    That sums up 90% or more of your smart phone users. They aren't technical enough to get over the little stuff and find other ways to do them on the new device or overlook missing things in because they have a superior device. They are willing to spend the same or more money for, what is in many ways, an inferior product because its comfortable and easy to use for them. And lets be honest here, Siri is great, I haven't seen anything else that works as well, and watching my wife seamlessly use it in day to day for scheduling and even verifying her schedule on certain days is pretty neat.

    I keep the 920 because I love it, but I hate the fact that the gmail doesn't work as easily and it f-ing kills me that I can't plug my phone into the usb adaptor in my car and charge the phone while using the head unit to control music like I did on the iphone. And everytime we have to deposit a check my wife bust my balls about not having a functioning Chase app to make deposits. But I overlook because I love the device for everything else.
  14. tekhna's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    500 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,058 Global Posts
    #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by antsin3d View Post
    Haha, so a newcomer to the market is not selling as well as the most iconic smartphone company that essentially invented the modern smartphone. Right, who'd have thought that would happen!
    Rolls eyes. You do know that Nokia and Palm essentially invented the smartphone? And then never bothered innovating or developing their respective products, right? And that Nokia released its first "smartphone" in 1996, right?
    vlad0 and nohra like this.
  15. realwarder's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    1,146 Posts
    #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by madsedan View Post
    I keep the 920 because I love it, but I hate the fact that the gmail doesn't work as easily and it f-ing kills me that I can't plug my phone into the usb adaptor in my car and charge the phone while using the head unit to control music like I did on the iphone. And everytime we have to deposit a check my wife bust my balls about not having a functioning Chase app to make deposits. But I overlook because I love the device for everything else.

    There is a Chase app in the store that claims to do deposits..
  16. Sukanok's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    24 Posts
    #16  
    Nokia making a phone but Apples make a fashion-culture.
  17. ttsoldier's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    2,233 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,906 Global Posts
       #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by tekhna View Post
    Rolls eyes. You do know that Nokia and Palm essentially invented the smartphone? And then never bothered innovating or developing their respective products, right? And that Nokia released its first "smartphone" in 1996, right?
    I'm guessing he means WP8.. not Nokia...

    At least.. I'm hoping that's what he meant... :|
  18. tekhna's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    500 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,058 Global Posts
    #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by ttsoldier View Post
    I'm guessing he means WP8.. not Nokia...

    At least.. I'm hoping that's what he meant... :|
    Hopefully.. I think part of the problem is Nokia never took off in the US, even in the dumbphone era. I've still got my old Nokia 8210 that cockroaches will be using to make calls after the nuclear apocalypse, but I only had a Nokia phone because I lived abroad for a long time. Nokia as a company has no mindshare in the US, unlike Europe where people remember the Nokia of old fondly.
    Laura Knotek and LeLee092 like this.
  19. RyanR47's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    72 Posts
    #19  
    In my university the ratio is more like 1000:1
    Yellow Lumia 1020 (RM-875) Unlocked International
  20. mlm1950's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    479 Posts
    Global Posts
    487 Global Posts
    #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by tekhna View Post
    Rolls eyes. You do know that Nokia and Palm essentially invented the smartphone? And then never bothered innovating or developing their respective products, right? And that Nokia released its first "smartphone" in 1996, right?
    Lots of companies develop products ahead of their time, so what's your point?
  21. Steve Ridges's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    156 Posts
    #21  
    I think Nokia and MS need to follow Samsungs marketing theme with the next best thing is already here kind of idea. Show that iPhone is old and boring while WP is new and fresh. Show how some iPhone owner is searching for his proprietary cable to charge his phone while is friend drops his WP on a wireless charger. Show a couple of people texting at a ski resort with the iPhone user freezing their fingers while the 920 user texts with gloves etc. Make them funny and they will go viral.
  22. paddylaz's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    155 Posts
    Global Posts
    165 Global Posts
    #22  
    Quote Originally Posted by antsin3d View Post
    Haha, so a newcomer to the market is not selling as well as the most iconic smartphone company that essentially invented the modern smartphone. Right, who'd have thought that would happen!
    No, this guy is completely right. Apple DID essentially invent the modern smartphone - at least in terms of one that was of a high enough quality for everyday people (not tech enthusiasts) to leave their 'dumb' phones. They were the ones to first 'crack' the perfect unity of phone, music player and internet device, the first to present it in a way that even the biggest technophobe could use, and the first to use what are now smartphone necessities e.g. corning gorilla glass (which Steve Jobs actually contacted Corning about - it had been mothballed).

    Smartphones have come a long way since then, I loved the 4s but found the 5 a bit stale & boring. However it kinda pisses me off this bizarre psychology that as soon as something becomes too popular (e,g. Apple) it automatically becomes achingly hip to NOT like it.

    They might be on the beginning of a downward slope now, but apple did change the tech world and I think respect should be given where it's due.
  23. dkp23's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    1,412 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,441 Global Posts
    #23  
    Anybody who expected any differently must be out of touch and delusional. iPhone and Android are established brands and OS, the wp8 is a relatively new OS if you count wp7 as well and being that both the iPhone and Android make up 80% of the market (quick guess), to expect wp8 to even come close to the other two platforms this quickly is absurd.

    Whether people think wp8 and nokia phones is way better than iPhone/Android for whatever reason, it doesnt matter. It really comes down to this IMO, until WP8 can do whatever iPhone/Android does and more, expect this type of separation between wp8 and the top platforms to continue. When I say "whatever iPhone/Android does and more" i mean the phone needs to do all the basic things that the other platforms does and also have access to all the popular features.

    For wp7 to come out with no screenshot, that was so bad. Even now with wp8, no call timers,no way to track in the OS your usage, can't videos from the email client, full pdf viewing features, instagram, official facebook OS that doesn't suck, just the basic things that everybody does these days, not on wp8 platform.

    If you can't do what everybody else is doing, you are not going to get the grow fast enough to even come close to iPhones or Androids for that matter. So nobody should be surprised.

    I own a 920 and the wp8 platform has a long way to go.
  24. BlackB_G's Avatar
    Banned

    Posts
    2 Posts
    Global Posts
    705 Global Posts
    #24  
    Here in the UK.. I've only seen the Lumia twice that I can remember.

    Once back in early 2012 with a guy I work with (he owned a Lumia 800) and he returned it for an Iphone 4. The next time was getting off the bus in Islington and that was a 900/920 ( not sure cos they all look the same) with a woman towards the end of last year.

    I have nothing against or for Nokia, Iphone or Android (i'm 100% BlackBerry).. but Nokia really needs to step their game up.

    All I see that are in any numbers that actually make it stick in your head are Iphones, BlackBerries and Android Phones.
  25. Laura Knotek's Avatar

    Posts
    16,920 Posts
    Global Posts
    32,309 Global Posts
    PIN
    Email
    #25  
    Quote Originally Posted by tekhna View Post
    Hopefully.. I think part of the problem is Nokia never took off in the US, even in the dumbphone era. I've still got my old Nokia 8210 that cockroaches will be using to make calls after the nuclear apocalypse, but I only had a Nokia phone because I lived abroad for a long time. Nokia as a company has no mindshare in the US, unlike Europe where people remember the Nokia of old fondly.
    I agree. Who remembers the E71x? I believe that is the last Nokia smartphone AT&T sold prior to the Lumia 900.

    Does anyone remember the Nokia Astound from T-Mobile?
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. i just bought a nokia 920 to go along with my iPhone
    By fantom555 in forum Windows Phone 8
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 11-11-2012, 11:35 PM
  2. Nokia phone to challenge the poorly designed iPhon?!
    By 1jaxstate1 in forum Windows Phone 7
    Replies: 55
    Last Post: 03-25-2012, 05:05 PM
  3. NO iPhone 5. Nokia and MS this is your chance!
    By Drewidian in forum Apple iOS
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 10-05-2011, 02:03 AM
  4. Log in to leave comment
    By 3DPiper in forum WindowsCentral.com - Site News, Feedback, Help
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 11-30-2010, 09:15 AM

Posting Permissions