Why Im thinking of getting iPhone and wait until WP is more developed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hiro2

Dec 8, 2012
Visit site
Hello,

I been using Lumia 800 for a year, then I bought Lumia 920 as soon as it came out. While using WP8, I found that some something that bother me and perhaps fruistrating.

Prior to Lumia 800, I had Iphone 3Gs, I also own an Ipad2 and use it everyday, so you imagine I have quite a library of apps.

There are some of the features which I kind of miss from iOS and also why Im thinking of buying iphone, until major WP update at least.

Windows Phone 8
Software shot comings vs iOS

1.Background applications
In WP, background multitasking only allows 8 tasks to be opened. These tasks then close automatically close if user opens a new app. There is no way to close task manually. If user opens a new app with saved task on background, OS opens apps not to the moment where user left it off, but rather new instance.

2.Notifications
There is no notification centre, so if you didn?t hear or see the notification, you then have to check individual app or look at the tiles. Now, some apps support icon on the lock screen, but for example, Whatsapp doesn?t, so in order for me to check for messages, I have to go through lock screen and look at the tile.
Battery
Have to pull down or touch top of the screen to see the battery level, what?s up with that?

3.Compass
Nokia maps are great, downloadable maps is a unique feature. The only problems I have with Maps on WP8 is that there is no native compass feature. Even though phone does have a compass, default maps still can?t display in what direction I?m facing.

4.Other small missing features
Keyboard shortcuts. In iOS, I can set by typing certain letters, it pastes a shortcut text. Example: I can set it so when I need to type in my email, I press @@ and my full email comes up as a suggestion and after pressing space bar it pastes in.
No multi touch support in software navigation.

Hardware Lumia 920

1.For me personally, phone seems too wide to use with one hand, even though I can manage, it doesn?t sits comfortably when I try to use it one handed.

I wanted to share this to hear your thoughts about my dilema.

Alex Kj

Nov 22, 2012
Visit site
Get whatever YOU feel is "right" for you, dude. What else do you want to hear? Yea, WP8 is deficient in some ways, and yes, same goes for many apps for it (only a brain-dead M$ fanbot would deny those facts 😉), but this is a "growing" platform and (hopefully) the situation will improve over time... If you don't want to wait - nothing is wrong with switching to a more mature and diverse platforms based on iOS or Android 😉

sravanv

Oct 31, 2012
Visit site
See responses in bold:

Hello,

I been using Lumia 800 for a year, then I bought Lumia 920 as soon as it came out. While using WP8, I found that some something that bother me and perhaps fruistrating.

Prior to Lumia 800, I had Iphone 3Gs, I also own an Ipad2 and use it everyday, so you imagine I have quite a library of apps.

There are some of the features which I kind of miss from iOS and also why Im thinking of buying iphone, until major WP update at least.

Windows Phone 8
Software shot comings vs iOS

1.Background applications
In WP, background multitasking only allows 8 tasks to be opened. These tasks then close automatically close if user opens a new app. There is no way to close task manually. If user opens a new app with saved task on background, OS opens apps not to the moment where user left it off, but rather new instance.

I believe there is. Press and hold the back button to navigate through open tasks. Once you have navigated to the task you want to close, tap back until you reach the home screen. It should now be closed.

2.Notifications
There is no notification centre, so if you didn’t hear or see the notification, you then have to check individual app or look at the tiles. Now, some apps support icon on the lock screen, but for example, Whatsapp doesn’t, so in order for me to check for messages, I have to go through lock screen and look at the tile.
Battery
Have to pull down or touch top of the screen to see the battery level, what’s up with that? There are battery apps with lockscreen capability. I think in the future, WP can provide more lockscreen ability to more devices, creating a notification center-like experience. I would be surprised if Whatsapp didn't get its act together very soon on their next release (which should be coming out soon).

3.Compass
Nokia maps are great, downloadable maps is a unique feature. The only problems I have with Maps on WP8 is that there is no native compass feature. Even though phone does have a compass, default maps still can’t display in what direction I’m facing. This is true but honestly...I can't see this being a make or break feature. Also, I would expect Nokia to provide something or other soon.

4.Other small missing features
Keyboard shortcuts. In iOS, I can set by typing certain letters, it pastes a shortcut text. Example: I can set it so when I need to type in my email, I press @@ and my full email comes up as a suggestion and after pressing space bar it pastes in.
No multi touch support in software navigation. This is a pretty cool feature of iOS. Again, I would be surprised if WP8 doesn't come out with something similar.

Hardware Lumia 920

1.For me personally, phone seems too wide to use with one hand, even though I can manage, it doesn’t sits comfortably when I try to use it one handed. HTC 8x? Lumia 820? Not to bash you but why would you get a device if you don't like the way it holds?

I wanted to share this to hear your thoughts about my dilema.

Hopefully you get the understanding that WP8 just does things differently. There are a # of significant things that iOS, at its core, doesn't do that WP8 does, and does very well. The bold parts of that sentence can be interchangeable with pretty much any OS - iOS, Mac OS, Windows 8, WP8, Android, Palm OS, Blackberry, etc. etc.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
First, are you locked into a contract with your 920? If so, why did you sign up for 2 years of a device that didn't suit your needs at purchase time? Misinformed consumers are any company's worst nightmare. Particularly when that consumer has 2 years to moan and b***h about his dissatisfaction to anybody that'll listen. Not saying you're doing it now, but it's brewing.

WasteSomeTime

Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
We don't need a notification center. Maybe you would have known this if you took a glance at your live tiles.
Sent from my SGH-i677 using Board Express

WasteSomeTime

Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
First, are you locked into a contract with your 920? If so, why did you sign up for 2 years of a device that didn't suit your needs at purchase time? Misinformed consumers are any company's worst nightmare. Particularly when that consumer has 2 years to moan and b***h about his dissatisfaction to anybody that'll listen. Not saying you're doing it now, but it's brewing.

How does that hurt the company? I thought they dont care if a person is dissatisfied. Its not like everyone is.

Hiro2

Dec 8, 2012
Visit site

I bought the phone without contract

Alex Kj

Nov 22, 2012
Visit site
We don't need a notification center. Maybe you would have known this if you took a glance at your live tiles.
YOU don't, other people do. Nothing is wrong with providing an option to satisfy the needs of both types of customers.

Hiro2

Dec 8, 2012
Visit site
And to get to the tiles i have to pass lock screen, so i have to enter 4digits and then look at tiles. The problems with lock screen is that not many apps support it, it works great with default implementations such as SMS, missed calls and emails but custom support is very limited.

Hiro2

Dec 8, 2012
Visit site
See responses in bold:

Hopefully you get the understanding that WP8 just does things differently. There are a # of significant things that iOS, at its core, doesn't do that WP8 does, and does very well. The bold parts of that sentence can be interchangeable with pretty much any OS - iOS, Mac OS, Windows 8, WP8, Android, Palm OS, Blackberry, etc. etc.

That's my point, I believe most of issues I have with wp8 will be addressed in the next major release or over time, that's why I want to get an iPhone for now and switch back when time is right. I do admit that getting l920 was my bad, I wanted to see how I feel about it after extensive use, one of the reasons I didn't buy L900 when I has L800 was the size.

Alex Kj

Nov 22, 2012
Visit site
Then make an app for it.
Why should I (or anyone else)? iOS and Android both have a "native" global motification center, without forcing people to rely on third-party apps. MS should do the same... unless, of course, they don't mind their potential customers who want this feature to switch to other platforms instead of WP ;-)

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
How does that hurt the company? I thought they dont care if a person is dissatisfied. Its not like everyone is.

It's not about J.D. Powers reports, it's about the most effective form of marketing: word of mouth. People tend to believe friends and family, not to mention customer reviews. Would you buy a Yugo? Probably not because of all the negative press, right? Now tell me that didn't hurt Zastava.

WasteSomeTime

Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
It's not about J.D. Powers reports, it's about the most effective form of marketing: word of mouth. People tend to believe friends and family, not to mention customer reviews. Would you buy a Yugo? Probably not because of all the negative press, right? Now tell me that didn't hurt Zastava.

True. I had no idea what a yugo was until you just typed it out.

WasteSomeTime

Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
Why should I (or anyone else)? iOS and Android both have a "native" global motification center, without forcing people to rely on third-party apps. MS should do the same... unless, of course, they don't mind their potential customers who want this feature to switch to other platforms instead of WP ;-)

Yeah but people have to do research before jumping in. I jumped in when I got a windows phone.

cashcar1979

Oct 18, 2012
Visit site
WP8 also has many nice features iOS does not...live tiles, the fantastic people hub, kids corner, hardware choice with Nokia, HTC, and Samsung, etc...

Give it time..dont be a lemming..

Flagz

Jan 26, 2012
Visit site
I agree with everything you just said. Reason why I won't switch personally though is all the other Mobile OS seem boring and bland. Why would I goto them when I can stick it out and am only missing 3 apps I would use daily. I have office integration for work, school and lyrics. Kids corner for my media page when I want to get to music quickly. Rooms for me, my Fiance, brother and now my mom to share information to each other! Me and my Fiance also will have/had full Skype integration which is really nice since we work opposite shift and only see each other 30 minutes a day. Xbox integration is great for any avid MLG player (like me) I can add game battles competitors and message them an my team when I will be on (I usually message after work). Also Xbox works great for changing bio without chat pad, and easy to grind small amounts of achievements while playing some scrims or matchmaking (I have alot of Xbox WP7/8 Games. Music pass has become my best friend over 6GB of music downloaded and all my music and other local artist I master is on the cloud. Many more things I can mention. Its all preference but this phone is re-imagined around YOU.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb