Why Im thinking of getting iPhone and wait until WP is more developed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

cashcar1979

Oct 18, 2012
Visit site
:grin: You just couldn't resist, could you? Accusing other people who have different than yours personal preferences of "being a lemming"? Such a friendly community you guys going on here :smile:

its a fairly accurate comment for a majority of iPhone users..most I know have no clue about other phone types.

WasteSomeTime

Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
:grin: You just couldn't resist, could you? Accusing other people who have different than yours personal preferences of "being a lemming"? Such a friendly community you guys going on here :smile:

This is a very friendly community, you just dont see it yet. Give it time and let it sink in.
Sent from my SGH-i677 using Board Express

Alex Kj

Nov 22, 2012
Visit site
its a fairly accurate comment for a majority of iPhone users..most I know have no clue about other phone types.

If they are perfectly happy with their current devices - why should they bother wasting their time to try to get to know about the other devices? 😜 My parents are perfectly satisfied with the iPhones and the way they function for their needs and they don't even know what type of OS my Lumia 920 runs or what it can do... I see nothing wrong with that and certainly see no reason to call them "lemmings" or "iSheeple" or trying to force them to switch to same type of mobile OS. Same goes for all my friends who use the iOS-based devices - they don't care to know anything about my Lumia 920 and WP, and I don't care that they don't care, as long as they are perfectly happy with their devices 😏

rdubmu

May 25, 2011
Visit site
Next time do some research before paying $450 for anything. Simple. Next whiner step up.
next time maybe you shouldn't post. @ the OP, there is nothing wrong with wanting an iPhone. With having an iPad maybe that might fit your needs better with the integration with imessage, icloud..ect plus many apps you won't have to buy again. Good luck!
Sent from my RM-820_nam_att_100 using Board Express

sravanv

Oct 31, 2012
Visit site
next time maybe you shouldn't post. @ the OP, there is nothing wrong with wanting an iPhone. With having an iPad maybe that might fit your needs better with the integration with imessage, icloud..ect plus many apps you won't have to buy again. Good luck!

Agreed. Let's not convey fanboyism. He has an issue with WP8, let's discuss it. He wasn't trying to troll or flame.

I still think most of the notification center is taken care of by the lock screen :).

One thing I found annoying with a notification center with my Android (and current iPad) is that it gets WAAAAY too cluttered. I don't even use it because of the ridiculous amount of unneeded information on there. Once I see that I have a few texts on the menu (Android), I just pop open my messaging app. Once I click the home button on my iPad and see a message, I just pop open messaging, calendar, whatever...

RJ G

Jan 9, 2013
Visit site
I think the OP has a very valid point, its nice to friendly discuss stuff like this and see different opinions. I myself have been an iphone user for a couple of years now but i cant lie that sometimes i want something different, tried android for half a year but it simply wasnt for me, made me value stuff that i was probably used to on ios but didnt really gave it proper credit.

Now, since a couple of months ago im starting to notice WP8, i like the way it looks, i believe it has a lot of potential and i definitely see myself trying it and giving it a chance in a near future, but that depends on many things for now.

I have a family member working for nokia for a while now, he is very loyal to whatever that brand makes or uses, of course he loves WP8 and is always bashing or degrading anything else. He is constantly trying to make me switch to wp8 saying ios ''is trash'', that he dosent undersand why i use it all the time, i simply reply that it does what i need, it has the right apps and the best support on them. At first he would point out that i wasnt informed of what other os could do for me. Funny thing is that i believe that in the end he always wanted to use an iphone , that came true last october when he asked to buy my 4s from me arguing that one of his favorite games was better on ios. He used it for a while but in my opinion was too proud to accept ios was fine and would be good for him, he would complain in front of me about issues related with third party blaming the iphone when it clearly had everything to do with the app itself (facebook app for instance sucks on most devices) and whenever i pointed out notable and useful apps that he would benefit from he would always find an excuse to say he didnt want it, (even if they were FREE). Anyway, he is simply just too proud and stubborn, ended up selling the iphone to a coworker of his and is waiting for an upcoming nokia device.

i like the iphone but that dosent make me an ''ishep'' or whatever, i use it because it offers most options on useful things i need during the day. I really hope wp8 catches up and will sure love the day i could decide between both OS based on just looks, specs, or 'prettiness' of the icons.

Last edited:

Alex Kj

Nov 22, 2012
Visit site
One thing I found annoying with a notification center with my Android (and current iPad) is that it gets WAAAAY too cluttered. I don't even use it because of the ridiculous amount of unneeded information on there. Once I see that I have a few texts on the menu (Android), I just pop open my messaging app. Once I click the home button on my iPad and see a message, I just pop open messaging, calendar, whatever...
Not sure about Android, but iOS's current notification center is highly customizable - you can display notification in different "styles" and limit the amount of total notifications, as well as prevent some apps from displaying any notifications... So it's not very cluttered if you configure it the way you want to ;-)

Slai

Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
Id love to have an iPhone for half a year to try it out, but what holds me back for the most part is the UI, actually.
The phone clearly does most main things I use my 920/sgs3 for, but it has no real advantage for the price of an iPhone for me.
Maybe when Ios gets overhauled and iphone6 comes out it will have something attractive.
Until then I personally dont see a valid excuse.

RJ G

Jan 9, 2013
Visit site
Id love to have an iPhone for half a year to try it out, but what holds me back for the most part is the UI, actually.
The phone clearly does most main things I use my 920/sgs3 for, but it has no real advantage for the price of an iPhone for me.
Maybe when Ios gets overhauled and iphone6 comes out it will have something attractive.
Until then I personally dont see a valid excuse.

And that is perfectly fine, youre the type of user i wouldnt recommend the iphone to, its good to hear youre happy with your 920 and your sgs3, theyre great devices. I on the other hand feel that i dont see a real advantage changing to a wp8 devices for not because i dont like it but because i believe it lacks essential features I NEED, as for sgs3, android simply isnt for me and im not to interested in the quality and feel of the current phones that carry android. Also, yes i paid a bit more for my iphone 5 but its good to know that whenever i dont want it for any reason i can get atleast 70 percent of what i originally paid :)

Slai

Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
Yes, resell value is very nice with iphones :) .
I do hope WP grows during 2013 and that more people get to know the OS, as Im sure ignorance is a big part in the everyday consumers choice of phone.

Hiro2

Dec 8, 2012
Visit site
Yes, resell value is very nice with iphones :) .
I do hope WP grows during 2013 and that more people get to know the OS, as Im sure ignorance is a big part in the everyday consumers choice of phone.
Yeah exactly, thats why I'm thinking of iPhone5 instead of iPhone4s is because it will retain more value if I have to sell it in the end of the year.

Hiro2

Dec 8, 2012
Visit site
Next time do some research before paying $450 for anything. Simple. Next whiner step up.
Really dude? As I said, I used Lumia800 for a year before I got Lumia920, I was well aware of the short comings and that WP8 does things differently. I was fine being an early adopter because I believe WP8 will be great and generally has more design in mind (im graphic designer). As mentioned, I bought my L920 when it came out, 3rd of December it was in my hands, it officially comes out in March in my country.
I wanted to see if I can live without missing features and weather rest of the features will make it worth while. I recently releised that it doesnt at least for me. I say now that I will eventually end up with WP, when its more developed and better polised.

crystal_planet

Jul 6, 2012
Visit site
Not sure about Android, but iOS's current notification center is highly customizable - you can display notification in different "styles" and limit the amount of total notifications, as well as prevent some apps from displaying any notifications... So it's not very cluttered if you configure it the way you want to ;-)

I wonder why you aren't on iMore. You don't have a Windows Phone and you seem to take pride showing its shortcomings - it's odd.

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site

Agreed. WP is a good OS but the reality is it lacks some features found on other platforms. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise, its a simple fact. Get what works for you and gives you an enjoyable experience, after all its only a phone and what matters most is what utility you get out of whichever device you choose.

scubus

Jan 6, 2013
Visit site
Hello,

I been using Lumia 800 for a year, then I bought Lumia 920 as soon as it came out. While using WP8, I found that some something that bother me and perhaps fruistrating.

Prior to Lumia 800, I had Iphone 3Gs, I also own an Ipad2 and use it everyday, so you imagine I have quite a library of apps.

There are some of the features which I kind of miss from iOS and also why Im thinking of buying iphone, until major WP update at least.

Windows Phone 8
Software shot comings vs iOS

1.Background applications
In WP, background multitasking only allows 8 tasks to be opened. These tasks then close automatically close if user opens a new app. There is no way to close task manually. If user opens a new app with saved task on background, OS opens apps not to the moment where user left it off, but rather new instance.

2.Notifications
There is no notification centre, so if you didn?t hear or see the notification, you then have to check individual app or look at the tiles. Now, some apps support icon on the lock screen, but for example, Whatsapp doesn?t, so in order for me to check for messages, I have to go through lock screen and look at the tile.
Battery
Have to pull down or touch top of the screen to see the battery level, what?s up with that?

3.Compass
Nokia maps are great, downloadable maps is a unique feature. The only problems I have with Maps on WP8 is that there is no native compass feature. Even though phone does have a compass, default maps still can?t display in what direction I?m facing.

4.Other small missing features
Keyboard shortcuts. In iOS, I can set by typing certain letters, it pastes a shortcut text. Example: I can set it so when I need to type in my email, I press @@ and my full email comes up as a suggestion and after pressing space bar it pastes in.
No multi touch support in software navigation.

Hardware Lumia 920

1.For me personally, phone seems too wide to use with one hand, even though I can manage, it doesn?t sits comfortably when I try to use it one handed.

I wanted to share this to hear your thoughts about my dilema.

1. If I understand this correctly, you can manually close background apps. Hold the back arrow button and the open apps will appear (similar to Safari windows on iOS) and close them by selecting the app and backing out. I would like a better way to actually close them than hitting the back arrow repeatedly.

2. Agreed, it needs a better notification center. You can place 1 app on the lock screen, if you could place multiple apps there it might work. I also have said elsewhere that I do not like the way WP8 displays the status icons.

3. I haven't noticed this, but if you need a compass, there's an app for that. This would be what Apple calls a "third party opportunity."

4. Can't argue this point. It is a limitation of a new OS. Apple has the advantage here; iOS was much the same when first released and has matured over time.

As for the physical attrributes of the phone, absolutely. I have a tough time manipulating the device with one hand - the iPhone is king here. That said, if you want the larger screen that is going to be the trade off.

A lot of people will say "it is just different." True. But different is only a good thing if different is better. I admit, I moved to the Nokia out of boredom as much as anything. It turns out it actually has a few features that are an improvement on the iOS (in my opinion of ocurse ;) )

1. Nokia drive is a far better application even in Beta than Apple's offereing if you are using your phone for driving. It beats Google's offereing too.

2. The live tiles are an improvement over iOS's static rows of icons. I am not sure if it is a revolutionary leap, but I find it better.

3. The integration of social media like Facebook and Twitter is far suprior to the iOS way.

Overall, I find WP to be a viable, although less mature, alternative to iOS. Depending on what you need it for, it may work as well, better, or not as well as your current choice.

In broad terms, I find WP8 to be in between iOS and Android in practice. It has the tight control on app and specs that iOS has but is open enough to work on multiple devices like Android.

Pickup an Android device and there is going to be a learning curve, Pick up any Apple device and the OS works the same, but it has to come from Apple. Pick up any current WP8 device and the OS funtions the same, but you have options on whose device to purchase, Nokia, HTC etc.

Slai

Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
1. If I understand this correctly, you can manually close background apps. Hold the back arrow button and the open apps will appear (similar to Safari windows on iOS) and close them by selecting the app and backing out. I would like a better way to actually close them than hitting the back arrow repeatedly.

But theres no point.

Hiro2

Dec 8, 2012
Visit site

Yes, it is a work around, but, my major issue is that apps will close automatically if there to many apps open. I think limit is 9 tasks so if you open 10th, 1st one will be close automatically.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb