Windows goes galactic

Revealed: Samsung's Surface Pro-like Galaxy Book, running Windows 10

Saving money on data

Mint SIM is the perfect way to get cheap data in the U.S.

We made some changes

Our new forums are here!

Don't count Windows Phone out just yet

Dead? Psh. Here are 5 reasons to stick with Windows 10 Mobile

VPN vs. Proxy

The difference between a proxy and a VPN

Latitude attitude

Dell Latitude 7280 is a business laptop with tons of consumer attitude

4K all the way

You probably don't NEED a 4K webcam, but we love Logitech's BRIO 4K anyway

Long live Windows phone

Contrary to popular belief, Windows phone won't die anytime soon

XP-YESSSSSSS

Dell's already awesome XPS 15 gets even better in 2017

Surface Pwn 5

Surface Pro 5, Project NEON details leaked on LinkedIn?

Redefining the PC

Why Microsoft's Surface phone could be MUCH more than a mere 'phone'

Surface table meets Windows 10

Yes, we did put Windows 10 on the original Surface table ... and it rocks

Cream o' the crop

Before buying a Microsoft laptop, check out our pick for the absolute best

Simple and secure, just the way I like it

We think Windows 10 Cloud is a great idea, here's why

uber micro

Halo Wars 2 has something for everyone. Here's our full review.

Oldie but goldie

We reviewed Microsoft's decade-old Surface table

Creators Update comin' at ya

These are the coolest new features in the next big Xbox One update (video)

Buyer's guide

The Razer Blade 14 is the best laptop Razer has to offer

Windows 10 app gems

10 terrific Windows 10 apps you should be using

Tower of power

Here's what we think of Dell's XPS Tower Special Edition

< >
Welcome to the Windows Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 29
Like Tree6Likes
  1. FinsUpDNC's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    200 Posts
    Global Posts
    204 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
       #1  
    Windows Phone has...

    -tiles that update so I don't have to open an app to see important info
    -one place that shows me all of my social media updates without ever needing to open the app
    -people hub that links all of my contacts many different accounts in the world for one neat place to see them
    -Rooms, which is my favorite. A place where I can privately share pics, docs, one note lists with my wife and another room for co-workers
    -Kids Corner, nice to have a place where I can give people (not just kids) my phone to play a game without giving them access to my life

    i will let others add there own things
  2. ohgood's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    1,016 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,019 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #2  
    Quote Originally Posted by FinsUpDNC View Post
    Windows Phone has...

    -tiles that update so I don't have to open an app to see important info
    -one place that shows me all of my social media updates without ever needing to open the app
    -people hub that links all of my contacts many different accounts in the world for one neat place to see them
    -Rooms, which is my favorite. A place where I can privately share pics, docs, one note lists with my wife and another room for co-workers
    -Kids Corner, nice to have a place where I can give people (not just kids) my phone to play a game without giving them access to my life

    i will let others add there own things
    Are you the 'smoked by windows phone' guy ?
  3. Indistinguishable's Avatar

    Posts
    3,900 Posts
    Global Posts
    3,904 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by ohgood View Post
    Are you the 'smoked by windows phone' guy ?
    That's Ben Rudolph. He's a good guy. Ben Rudolph - Microsoft Evangelist. Husband. Dad. Jiu-jitsu black belt. Krav Maga instructor. | about.me
  4. ceraf's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    118 Posts
    Global Posts
    129 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #4  
    If only there was a way to set the live tile refresh time to less than 30 mins.
    jdhooghe likes this.
  5. ammarmalik2011's Avatar
    Banned

    Posts
    710 Posts
    Global Posts
    727 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by ceraf View Post
    If only there was a way to set the live tile refresh time to less than 30 mins.
    exactly....
  6. TK2011's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    379 Posts
    Global Posts
    380 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by ceraf View Post
    If only there was a way to set the live tile refresh time to less than 30 mins.
    I thought apps can refresh tiles as fast as every 15 minutes. My battery and stock apps do that.
  7. eric12341's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    2,635 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,641 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #7  
    On iOS/Android you also can't:

    -Use sound enhancement apps that work with streaming as well as content stored on the phone
    -Stream music files from the store seamlessly through the main media player
    -integrate songs from the stores in auto generated mixes
    -have a dynamic artist spotlight on lock screen and start screen while listening to music.
    -Switch from mobile view to desktop view in settings.
  8. ohgood's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    1,016 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,019 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by eric12341 View Post
    On iOS/Android you also can't:

    -Use sound enhancement apps that work with streaming as well as content stored on the phone
    -Stream music files from the store seamlessly through the main media player
    -integrate songs from the stores in auto generated mixes
    -have a dynamic artist spotlight on lock screen and start screen while listening to music.
    -Switch from mobile view to desktop view in settings.
    there is a eq, it works well
    streaming works well, 'main' player is whichever app is chosen, so playstore, gmusic, mxplayer, vlc, or whatever will do that
    there is a 'shuffle' button
    lockscreen/startscreen, check
    mobile/desktop is in extended controls (touch extreme L/R side of webpage) , or if one prefers, browser settings.
  9. Daniel Ratcliffe's Avatar
    Retired Moderator

    Posts
    3,046 Posts
    Global Posts
    4,703 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #9  
    http://forums.windowscentral.com/win...l-succeed.html

    Probably best to post it here instead mate.
  10. ohgood's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    1,016 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,019 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by FinsUpDNC View Post
    Windows Phone has...

    -tiles that update so I don't have to open an app to see important info
    -one place that shows me all of my social media updates without ever needing to open the app
    -people hub that links all of my contacts many different accounts in the world for one neat place to see them
    -Rooms, which is my favorite. A place where I can privately share pics, docs, one note lists with my wife and another room for co-workers
    -Kids Corner, nice to have a place where I can give people (not just kids) my phone to play a game without giving them access to my life

    i will let others add there own things
    tiles- ok, called 'widgets' on other platforms
    social media- apps for that, sorry, I personally don't do social media so I can't recommend a good one
    people puller- mmm, no social media, seen a few, didn't like them, yours wins
    rooms, I get the concept, that's neat. I think blackberry is doing it better with home/corporate access. still, kidzone is very specific, and a very good idea for pacifying kids of this era.

    also, evernote and a shared account is doing very well for me and the wife. a new file, picture, document, pdf, anything... is attached and I can view and edit it immediately.

    Good points, I was expecting a really tough comparison, but this is easy so far. Keep em coming.
  11. ammarmalik2011's Avatar
    Banned

    Posts
    710 Posts
    Global Posts
    727 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by FinsUpDNC View Post
    Windows Phone has...

    -tiles that update so I don't have to open an app to see important info
    -one place that shows me all of my social media updates without ever needing to open the app
    -people hub that links all of my contacts many different accounts in the world for one neat place to see them
    -Rooms, which is my favorite. A place where I can privately share pics, docs, one note lists with my wife and another room for co-workers
    -Kids Corner, nice to have a place where I can give people (not just kids) my phone to play a game without giving them access to my life

    i will let others add there own things
    I'm a Lumia 920 owner but those are some really weak points you've put up
    • widgets
    • tweetdeck (you have to open me tile for this, you open tweetdeck on android)
    • again tweetdeck does this
    • so basically a group IM client. there are a gazillion of them on Android
    • you can put privacy on apps like messages on Android
  12. tekhna's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    499 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,059 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by ammarmalik2011 View Post
    I'm a Lumia 920 owner but those are some really weak points you've put up
    • widgets
    • tweetdeck (you have to open me tile for this, you open tweetdeck on android)
    • again tweetdeck does this
    • so basically a group IM client. there are a gazillion of them on Android
    • you can put privacy on apps like messages on Android
    Weak verging on a little sad.
  13. FinsUpDNC's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    200 Posts
    Global Posts
    204 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
       #13  
  14. rockstarzzz's Avatar

    Posts
    4,883 Posts
    Global Posts
    4,888 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #14  
    Group of all the girls I stalk can be pinned to my start screen so as soon as one of them is near me or had a fight with her potato salad, tile flips and tell me who and where to follow!

    Disclaimer: that was a hypothetical scenario and I don't stalk people! ;)
  15. tekhna's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    499 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,059 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by FinsUpDNC View Post
    Wait, so its a Windows virus distributed via Android? That's really interesting, actually.
  16. rockstarzzz's Avatar

    Posts
    4,883 Posts
    Global Posts
    4,888 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by ammarmalik2011 View Post
    I'm a Lumia 920 owner but those are some really weak points you've put up
    • widgets
    • tweetdeck (you have to open me tile for this, you open tweetdeck on android)
    • again tweetdeck does this
    • so basically a group IM client. there are a gazillion of them on Android
    • you can put privacy on apps like messages on Android
    What group IM lets me share notes? And update real time?

    Tweetdeck does LinkedIn too?
  17. tekhna's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    499 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,059 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by rockstarzzz View Post
    What group IM lets me share notes? And update real time?

    Tweetdeck does LinkedIn too?
    You mean OneNotes specifically, or notes generally? Because Skype lets you share files on Android. I'm not sure it does on Windows Phone? I've never actually tried.
  18. rockstarzzz's Avatar

    Posts
    4,883 Posts
    Global Posts
    4,888 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by tekhna View Post
    You mean OneNotes specifically, or notes generally? Because Skype lets you share files on Android. I'm not sure it does on Windows Phone? I've never actually tried.
    I don't mind any notes, as long as you update there in your living room and I can do the same from mine. We don't create more than one copy. We edit the same copy at the same time or different time.
  19. tekhna's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    499 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,059 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by rockstarzzz View Post
    I don't mind any notes, as long as you update there in your living room and I can do the same from mine. We don't create more than one copy. We edit the same copy at the same time or different time.

    Ohh, I see. Well, there's always Google Docs. And Android has OneNote. https://play.google.com/store/apps/d....onenote&hl=en
  20. eric12341's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    2,635 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,641 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by ammarmalik2011 View Post
    I'm a Lumia 920 owner but those are some really weak points you've put up
    • widgets
    • tweetdeck (you have to open me tile for this, you open tweetdeck on android)
    • again tweetdeck does this
    • so basically a group IM client. there are a gazillion of them on Android
    • you can put privacy on apps like messages on Android
    The point is access to all those features without an app
  21. rockstarzzz's Avatar

    Posts
    4,883 Posts
    Global Posts
    4,888 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #21  
    Quote Originally Posted by tekhna View Post
    Ohh, I see. Well, there's always Google Docs. And Android has OneNote. https://play.google.com/store/apps/d....onenote&hl=en
    The point was, I can do this in an IM and not a 3rd party app, but within the baked in IM.
  22. spaulagain's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    1,356 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,361 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #22  
    Quote Originally Posted by rockstarzzz View Post
    What group IM lets me share notes? And update real time?

    Tweetdeck does LinkedIn too?
    And calendar!
  23. ammarmalik2011's Avatar
    Banned

    Posts
    710 Posts
    Global Posts
    727 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #23  
    Quote Originally Posted by eric12341 View Post
    The point is access to all those features without an app
    it's a smartphone. surely you're not telling me installing an app is somehow an inconvenience? Plus tweetdeck has push notification support, which the Me tile does not
  24. rockstarzzz's Avatar

    Posts
    4,883 Posts
    Global Posts
    4,888 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #24  
    Quote Originally Posted by ammarmalik2011 View Post
    it's a smartphone. surely you're not telling me installing an app is somehow an inconvenience? Plus tweetdeck has push notification support, which the Me tile does not
    So you are telling me a smartphone is only smart if it does stuff AFTER installing a bunch of apps?

    Tweeckdeck doesn't do LinkedIn.
  25. ammarmalik2011's Avatar
    Banned

    Posts
    710 Posts
    Global Posts
    727 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #25  
    Quote Originally Posted by rockstarzzz View Post
    So you are telling me a smartphone is only smart if it does stuff AFTER installing a bunch of apps?

    Tweeckdeck doesn't do LinkedIn.
    no I'm telling you that a 'smart'phone is suppose to be more capable. And having real-time push notifications is one part of being capable, which the Me Tile does not offer.

    Secondly at the end of the day you WILL need an app. I can explain to you the number of thing you can do with a dedicated app as opposed to built in integration but that will take several hours of typing.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Smart Glass on iOS and Android in 2013. Your Thoughts?
    By NairobiWP in forum Windows Phone 8
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 10-27-2012, 09:39 AM
  2. Carbon for WP7 (and WebOS) to be discontinued
    By lycosman in forum Windows Phone Apps
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 09-18-2012, 02:19 AM
  3. Why WP is better than iOS and Android.
    By socialcarpet in forum The "Off Topic" Lounge
    Replies: 32
    Last Post: 04-25-2012, 02:59 AM
  4. Poll: Do iOS and Android look alike?
    By Major in forum Other OS's and Devices
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 02-19-2012, 11:07 PM
  5. So Steam is on iOS and Android.. no WP7??
    By sniffs in forum Windows Phone Apps
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 02-05-2012, 09:01 PM

Posting Permissions

";