Welcome to the Windows Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree74Likes

Global Posts
    604 Global Posts
    Who gives an s! Get the phone you want, and if someone bugs you about it, tell them to shut their c-sucker. If you are emotionally damaged by what a person says about a communication device, take the phone, and lodge it in your throat till you drop dead.
    ~Sal
    Katsyone likes this.

Global Posts
    146 Global Posts
    Pin your favorite album to the start screen. Synced or not, like streaming from xbox music.
    Quote Originally Posted by Abdul Rahman Noor View Post
    Thank you for that.
    I really don't get it why some people need to be reassured of their phone's superiority to feel good about their purchase.
    These comments are really bad, in my opinion. We don't need to be reassured of our choices. However, the way you get others to buy into the platform is through showing it off. There is NOTHING wrong with wanting to show others the quality of Windows Phone and the Lumia 920. I'm not saying everyone needs to have a PPI pissing contest, but having some fun with your phone's features like this is pretty cool.

As to suggestions for this, I'll offer these two:

1. Nokia Music. You get free, unlimited streaming of music on your Windows Phone, with the option to download up to 4 playlists for offline use, absolutely free. Ask your cousin how he combats that.

2. Nokia Maps. I just had this discussion with my brother-in-law last night. He has a Galaxy S III, and I have a Lumia 920. He said that the LARGEST Google Maps download he can do is 88 MB. My Nokia Maps download of Illinois ALONE is 134.3 MB. We went to St. Louis for his bachelor party in December, and I downloaded both the Illinois and Missouri maps (total size of 251.3 MB) for use that night, which he couldn't have pulled off. To add, I can download the ENITRE COUNTRY (over 2.5 GB) to my phone, if I want, and this is something that is available for most countries around the world.

go to your favorite website n pin it to the tiles
    No, "GS3 is the greatest phone ever" would be a subjective opinion.
    That will be just being an *** and ignorant one. :P
    Patient Windows Phone User since October 2010 till cores and apps do us apart.

Read the rules before you post. If you post, we will assume you've read this already.
    Jaripi likes this.

Global Posts
    273 Global Posts
    It can cut the grass & wash my dishes
    Blu3V3nom07 likes this.
    Banned

Global Posts
    2,576 Global Posts
    Get the xperia Z or ZL in a month and make fun of his s3 AND your old phone. It's a win-win! :D

Quote Originally Posted by Blu3V3nom07 View Post
    Pin your favorite album to the start screen. Synced or not, like streaming from xbox music.
    Thanks, I did not do it before (maybe because I am usually using Nokia Music) ... well, I just made the artist pic tiles for my favour singers ....
    Last edited by Jaripi; 02-17-2013 at 02:37 AM.

Global Posts
    575 Global Posts
    Windows Phone lock screen apps are in no comparison to the plethora of lock screen customizations and lock screen widgets on Android.

Just saying.
    Developer

use ur lumia under sun,
    use it with gloves
    photobeamer definately

Global Posts
    1,063 Global Posts
    Someone asked the question about wireless charging on the S3. The answer is yes, a wireless charging solution exists for the S3 as well as the iPhone. It's certainly not a unique feature to Nokia phones.
    Layar for Android is an alternative to Nokia city lens. As is Aupeo Radio as an alternative to Nokia mix radio.
    To be honest, the S3 does have some weight to it and doesn't feel cheap at all, unlike the original Galaxy S.
    The most important thing though when comparing two phones is the GUI. And I'm afraid the 920 wins hands down in this department. Multiple home screens splattered with icons and widgets is very old and tired now but one vertically scrolling start screen with re-sizable live tiles is brilliant. Everyone of my friends and family members who have seen my 920 have all agreed how good looking and slick the GUI is on WP8.
    KoukiFC3S likes this.

I've seen alot of S3's out there. I have the 920, and must say that I'm impressed with the S3. If MS doesn't wow me with the next update on probably going to seriously consider the S4 when it comes out.

Quote Originally Posted by WorzelGummage View Post
    Someone asked the question about wireless charging on the S3. The answer is yes, a wireless charging solution exists for the S3 as well as the iPhone. It's certainly not a unique feature to Nokia phones.
    Layar for Android is an alternative to Nokia city lens. As is Aupeo Radio as an alternative to Nokia mix radio.
    To be honest, the S3 does have some weight to it and doesn't feel cheap at all, unlike the original Galaxy S.
    The most important thing though when comparing two phones is the GUI. And I'm afraid the 920 wins hands down in this department. Multiple home screens splattered with icons and widgets is very old and tired now but one vertically scrolling start screen with re-sizable live tiles is brilliant. Everyone of my friends and family members who have seen my 920 have all agreed how good looking and slick the GUI is on WP8.
    No doubt, the UI is brilliant on WP. But it seems many features are still lacking. For one, I can't even attach more than one document in a mail and that speaks so much about WP. If they don't get this right in the next update, our company will flip the switch on WP, our current company phones.
    andraeseus likes this.

Global Posts
    1,063 Global Posts
    I'm quite disappointed with the lack of browser options for WP. There isn't even a version of Opera. But I do like the way social networking is integrated into the OS. Miles better than the S3

Quote Originally Posted by WorzelGummage View Post
    I'm quite disappointed with the lack of browser options for WP. There isn't even a version of Opera. But I do like the way social networking is integrated into the OS. Miles better than the S3
    Enough for me, UC browser and Nokia Xpress (webkit browser) ... 3 is more than enough for me, but of course, more choices is always better ... Firefox would be nice, even I do not really miss it ... :)

Quote Originally Posted by Jaripi View Post
    Enough for me, UC browser and Nokia Xpress (webkit browser) ... 3 is more than enough for me, but of course, more choices is always better ... Firefox would be nice, even I do not really miss it ... :)
    You forgot about SurfCube 3D browser :)

UC browser is great though.. My default since it has its own forward and back buttons
    Quote Originally Posted by jonchai View Post
    No doubt, the UI is brilliant on WP. But it seems many features are still lacking. For one, I can't even attach more than one document in a mail and that speaks so much about WP. If they don't get this right in the next update, our company will flip the switch on WP, our current company phones.
    Why doesn't your company encourage the use of Skydrive so that all the documents are saved and backed up and more than a million document links can be shared via an email making the emails less bulkier than ever and in any case cloud copy is always present that is accessible to more than one person if needed?

Read the rules before you post. If you post, we will assume you've read this already.

Global Posts
    157 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Keith Wallace View Post
    These comments are really bad, in my opinion. We don't need to be reassured of our choices. However, the way you get others to buy into the platform is through showing it off. There is NOTHING wrong with wanting to show others the quality of Windows Phone and the Lumia 920. I'm not saying everyone needs to have a PPI pissing contest, but having some fun with your phone's features like this is pretty cool.
    Yeah, I know.
    Can't say I didn't see this coming saying what I said about WP limitations on a WP site.

In spite of these, I use a Lumia device because it fits *MY* needs better than an Android/iPhone.

But as someone who doesn't work for either Google or Microsoft, I don't really need anyone to "buy into the platform" or convince them that this is superior to the X Phone.
    That and because I'm not a teenager who has to have the coolest phone on the block.
    Yeah, I know.
    Can't say I didn't see this coming saying what I said about WP limitations on a WP site.

In spite of these, I use a Lumia device because it fits *MY* needs better than an Android/iPhone.

But as someone who doesn't work for either Google or Microsoft, I don't really need anyone to "buy into the platform" or convince them that this is superior to the X Phone.
    That and because I'm not a teenager who has to have the coolest phone on the block.
    And the poorly-veiled insults further the idea that you really just need to stop. You're still missing the point entirely and adding nothing to this discussion.

No one (well, no one sensible) is looking for gratification. We're not looking for "cool points." or bragging rights. You know what happens when people buy into the platform? Marketplace improvement. More hardware innovation and choices. The things that Android has as its strengths come to Windows Phone when we show others the benefits to the platform. I don't lie about the problems with Windows Phone. I don't even speak of it optimistically in some cases. However, I think its potential is MUCH greater than that of the competition.

But the real thing I feel like I should again say is you need to just shut up with these comments that because I want to draw users to the platform, I'm "a teenager who has to have the coolest phone on the block."

In case you haven't had the obvious smack you on the face yet, there's a reason Windows Phone lacks a lot of apps. That would be the profitability of the platform, to a great extent. If the 3% or so of us who own these devices just buy them and shut our mouths, growth will be VERY slow. If we take our devices and show their capabilities and advantages to friends and family, then we can grow the platform. Only then will you see things like Instagram, Temple Run, Flipboard, and a deeper selection of Xbox LIVE-enabled mobile games. It will lead to greater commitment to the platform by Microsoft, and we might start seeing title released under the Halo, Gears of War, Fable, Forza, PGR, and Banjo-Kazooie names, and more. We'll see increased unity between WP, Windows 8/RT, and Xbox consoles. We'll see that discounted, multi-platform payment system 17-Bit wanted to bring out for Skulls of the Shogun. We could see the desired improvements to Xbox Music, as more people join that service when they experience Windows Phone. We could see Google's head pulled from its ****, leading to first-party Google apps and that rumored Microsoft-made YouTube app. We could see a high-quality Spotify app. I could spend 2 hours typing out the possibilities.

One last time, you're better off just leaving this discussion if you're going to bring this attitude to it. All you're doing is throwing insults at Windows Phone users because they want to grow the platform and see it become a better mobile experience, both in terms of apps/games and developer/OEM/Microsoft commitment. Go ahead and keep the sour attitude, false assumptions, and ridiculous comments, though. I'm sure they do wonders.
    Thanked by:
    bashbaliga likes this.

And the poorly-veiled insults further the idea that you really just need to stop. You're still missing the point entirely and adding nothing to this discussion.

No one (well, no one sensible) is looking for gratification. We're not looking for "cool points." or bragging rights.
    I'm sorry but people like the OP don't get into these pissing matches about phones to further push the platform but rather it is simply just for the bragging rights. Just like how car guys like to brag pointlessly about horsepower, tech guys like to brag about processing power, FLOPS, etc.

Say you have a 920 and were to get into one of these comparisons with a guy who ones a lesser Android phone. After you convince him that your phone is better do you think he's going to run out and buy a 920, or think you need to be put in your place and get the next best Android phone?

If you enjoy these types of comparisons then go ahead, but I don't care what others are using and I don't care if others know what I'm using.
    Quote Originally Posted by squire777 View Post
    I'm sorry but people like the OP don't get into these pissing matches about phones to further push the platform but rather it is simply just for the bragging rights. Just like how car guys like to brag pointlessly about horsepower, tech guys like to brag about processing power, FLOPS, etc.

Say you have a 920 and were to get into one of these comparisons with a guy who ones a lesser Android phone. After you convince him that your phone is better do you think he's going to run out and buy a 920, or think you need to be put in your place and get the next best Android phone?

If you enjoy these types of comparisons then go ahead, but I don't care what others are using and I don't care if others know what I'm using.
    Way to go without even knowing the dude!
    Btw, by letting others know, you are indulging into word to word marketing. Then people moan about market shares. I think if something is good enough, show off.

Yeah, I know.

HHopefully you wont be someone in future moaning about why we don't have xyz apps because we have low marketshares.

Global Posts
    157 Global Posts

No one (well, no one sensible) is looking for gratification. We're not looking for "cool points." or bragging rights. You know what happens when people buy into the platform? Marketplace improvement. More hardware innovation and choices. The things that Android has as its strengths come to Windows Phone when we show others the benefits to the platform. I don't lie about the problems with Windows Phone. I don't even speak of it optimistically in some cases. However, I think its potential is MUCH greater than that of the competition.

But the real thing I feel like I should again say is you need to just shut up with these comments that because I want to draw users to the platform, I'm "a teenager who has to have the coolest phone on the block."

In case you haven't had the obvious smack you on the face yet, there's a reason Windows Phone lacks a lot of apps. That would be the profitability of the platform, to a great extent. If the 3% or so of us who own these devices just buy them and shut our mouths, growth will be VERY slow. If we take our devices and show their capabilities and advantages to friends and family, then we can grow the platform. Only then will you see things like Instagram, Temple Run, Flipboard, and a deeper selection of Xbox LIVE-enabled mobile games. It will lead to greater commitment to the platform by Microsoft, and we might start seeing title released under the Halo, Gears of War, Fable, Forza, PGR, and Banjo-Kazooie names, and more. We'll see increased unity between WP, Windows 8/RT, and Xbox consoles. We'll see that discounted, multi-platform payment system 17-Bit wanted to bring out for Skulls of the Shogun. We could see the desired improvements to Xbox Music, as more people join that service when they experience Windows Phone. We could see Google's head pulled from its ****, leading to first-party Google apps and that rumored Microsoft-made YouTube app. We could see a high-quality Spotify app. I could spend 2 hours typing out the possibilities.

One last time, you're better off just leaving this discussion if you're going to bring this attitude to it. All you're doing is throwing insults at Windows Phone users because they want to grow the platform and see it become a better mobile experience, both in terms of apps/games and developer/OEM/Microsoft commitment. Go ahead and keep the sour attitude, false assumptions, and ridiculous comments, though. I'm sure they do wonders.
    Whatever man.
    I don't know why you got so worked up (and took things personally) just because I said no phone or platform was the best. (Honestly - that's about all I said; I didn't "throw insults" or keep false assumptions about anything, geez!)

You obviously see a very personal responsibility in the growth and future of WP so I leave you to your duties.

Quote Originally Posted by rockstarzzz View Post
    Way to go without even knowing the dude!
    from the first post:

Quote Originally Posted by bashbaliga View Post
    i constantly get into friendly fights with my cousin and so far I'm the one with a stick in my ***.
    Sounds like a good old pissing contest for bragging rights to me

Global Posts
    157 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rockstarzzz View Post
    HHopefully you wont be someone in future moaning about why we don't have xyz apps because we have low marketshares.
    And what if I did?
    No really - do I lose my right to complain about a limitation just because I didn't market the platform? So a fan who spends all his free time campaigning for WP has the most right in these matters?
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast