Constantly getting owned by an s3, how do i defend myself ?

WorzelGummage

Dec 30, 2012
Visit site
Someone asked the question about wireless charging on the S3. The answer is yes, a wireless charging solution exists for the S3 as well as the iPhone. It's certainly not a unique feature to Nokia phones.
Layar for Android is an alternative to Nokia city lens. As is Aupeo Radio as an alternative to Nokia mix radio.
To be honest, the S3 does have some weight to it and doesn't feel cheap at all, unlike the original Galaxy S.
The most important thing though when comparing two phones is the GUI. And I'm afraid the 920 wins hands down in this department. Multiple home screens splattered with icons and widgets is very old and tired now but one vertically scrolling start screen with re-sizable live tiles is brilliant. Everyone of my friends and family members who have seen my 920 have all agreed how good looking and slick the GUI is on WP8.

DaveGx

Nov 5, 2011
Visit site
I've seen alot of S3's out there. I have the 920, and must say that I'm impressed with the S3. If MS doesn't wow me with the next update on probably going to seriously consider the S4 when it comes out.

jonchai

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
Someone asked the question about wireless charging on the S3. The answer is yes, a wireless charging solution exists for the S3 as well as the iPhone. It's certainly not a unique feature to Nokia phones.
Layar for Android is an alternative to Nokia city lens. As is Aupeo Radio as an alternative to Nokia mix radio.
To be honest, the S3 does have some weight to it and doesn't feel cheap at all, unlike the original Galaxy S.
The most important thing though when comparing two phones is the GUI. And I'm afraid the 920 wins hands down in this department. Multiple home screens splattered with icons and widgets is very old and tired now but one vertically scrolling start screen with re-sizable live tiles is brilliant. Everyone of my friends and family members who have seen my 920 have all agreed how good looking and slick the GUI is on WP8.
No doubt, the UI is brilliant on WP. But it seems many features are still lacking. For one, I can't even attach more than one document in a mail and that speaks so much about WP. If they don't get this right in the next update, our company will flip the switch on WP, our current company phones.

WorzelGummage

Dec 30, 2012
Visit site
I'm quite disappointed with the lack of browser options for WP. There isn't even a version of Opera. But I do like the way social networking is integrated into the OS. Miles better than the S3

Jaripi

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
I'm quite disappointed with the lack of browser options for WP. There isn't even a version of Opera. But I do like the way social networking is integrated into the OS. Miles better than the S3

Enough for me, UC browser and Nokia Xpress (webkit browser) ... 3 is more than enough for me, but of course, more choices is always better ... Firefox would be nice, even I do not really miss it ... :)

Mystictrust

May 26, 2011
Visit site
Enough for me, UC browser and Nokia Xpress (webkit browser) ... 3 is more than enough for me, but of course, more choices is always better ... Firefox would be nice, even I do not really miss it ... :)
You forgot about SurfCube 3D browser :)

UC browser is great though.. My default since it has its own forward and back buttons

rockstarzzz

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
No doubt, the UI is brilliant on WP. But it seems many features are still lacking. For one, I can't even attach more than one document in a mail and that speaks so much about WP. If they don't get this right in the next update, our company will flip the switch on WP, our current company phones.

Why doesn't your company encourage the use of Skydrive so that all the documents are saved and backed up and more than a million document links can be shared via an email making the emails less bulkier than ever and in any case cloud copy is always present that is accessible to more than one person if needed?

Abdul Rahman Noor

Jan 11, 2013
Visit site
These comments are really bad, in my opinion. We don't need to be reassured of our choices. However, the way you get others to buy into the platform is through showing it off. There is NOTHING wrong with wanting to show others the quality of Windows Phone and the Lumia 920. I'm not saying everyone needs to have a PPI pissing contest, but having some fun with your phone's features like this is pretty cool.

Yeah, I know.
Can't say I didn't see this coming saying what I said about WP limitations on a WP site. :eck:

In spite of these, I use a Lumia device because it fits *MY* needs better than an Android/iPhone.

But as someone who doesn't work for either Google or Microsoft, I don't really need anyone to "buy into the platform" or convince them that this is superior to the X Phone.
That and because I'm not a teenager who has to have the coolest phone on the block.

Keith Wallace

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
Yeah, I know.
Can't say I didn't see this coming saying what I said about WP limitations on a WP site. :eck:

In spite of these, I use a Lumia device because it fits *MY* needs better than an Android/iPhone.

But as someone who doesn't work for either Google or Microsoft, I don't really need anyone to "buy into the platform" or convince them that this is superior to the X Phone.
That and because I'm not a teenager who has to have the coolest phone on the block.

And the poorly-veiled insults further the idea that you really just need to stop. You're still missing the point entirely and adding nothing to this discussion.

No one (well, no one sensible) is looking for gratification. We're not looking for "cool points." or bragging rights. You know what happens when people buy into the platform? Marketplace improvement. More hardware innovation and choices. The things that Android has as its strengths come to Windows Phone when we show others the benefits to the platform. I don't lie about the problems with Windows Phone. I don't even speak of it optimistically in some cases. However, I think its potential is MUCH greater than that of the competition.

But the real thing I feel like I should again say is you need to just shut up with these comments that because I want to draw users to the platform, I'm "a teenager who has to have the coolest phone on the block."

In case you haven't had the obvious smack you on the face yet, there's a reason Windows Phone lacks a lot of apps. That would be the profitability of the platform, to a great extent. If the 3% or so of us who own these devices just buy them and shut our mouths, growth will be VERY slow. If we take our devices and show their capabilities and advantages to friends and family, then we can grow the platform. Only then will you see things like Instagram, Temple Run, Flipboard, and a deeper selection of Xbox LIVE-enabled mobile games. It will lead to greater commitment to the platform by Microsoft, and we might start seeing title released under the Halo, Gears of War, Fable, Forza, PGR, and Banjo-Kazooie names, and more. We'll see increased unity between WP, Windows 8/RT, and Xbox consoles. We'll see that discounted, multi-platform payment system 17-Bit wanted to bring out for Skulls of the Shogun. We could see the desired improvements to Xbox Music, as more people join that service when they experience Windows Phone. We could see Google's head pulled from its butt, leading to first-party Google apps and that rumored Microsoft-made YouTube app. We could see a high-quality Spotify app. I could spend 2 hours typing out the possibilities.

One last time, you're better off just leaving this discussion if you're going to bring this attitude to it. All you're doing is throwing insults at Windows Phone users because they want to grow the platform and see it become a better mobile experience, both in terms of apps/games and developer/OEM/Microsoft commitment. Go ahead and keep the sour attitude, false assumptions, and ridiculous comments, though. I'm sure they do wonders.

squire777

Feb 21, 2012
Visit site
And the poorly-veiled insults further the idea that you really just need to stop. You're still missing the point entirely and adding nothing to this discussion.

No one (well, no one sensible) is looking for gratification. We're not looking for "cool points." or bragging rights.

I'm sorry but people like the OP don't get into these pissing matches about phones to further push the platform but rather it is simply just for the bragging rights. Just like how car guys like to brag pointlessly about horsepower, tech guys like to brag about processing power, FLOPS, etc.

Say you have a 920 and were to get into one of these comparisons with a guy who ones a lesser Android phone. After you convince him that your phone is better do you think he's going to run out and buy a 920, or think you need to be put in your place and get the next best Android phone?

If you enjoy these types of comparisons then go ahead, but I don't care what others are using and I don't care if others know what I'm using.

rockstarzzz

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
I'm sorry but people like the OP don't get into these pissing matches about phones to further push the platform but rather it is simply just for the bragging rights. Just like how car guys like to brag pointlessly about horsepower, tech guys like to brag about processing power, FLOPS, etc.

Say you have a 920 and were to get into one of these comparisons with a guy who ones a lesser Android phone. After you convince him that your phone is better do you think he's going to run out and buy a 920, or think you need to be put in your place and get the next best Android phone?

If you enjoy these types of comparisons then go ahead, but I don't care what others are using and I don't care if others know what I'm using.

Way to go without even knowing the dude!
Btw, by letting others know, you are indulging into word to word marketing. Then people moan about market shares. I think if something is good enough, show off.

rockstarzzz

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
Yeah, I know.

HHopefully you wont be someone in future moaning about why we don't have xyz apps because we have low marketshares.

Abdul Rahman Noor

Jan 11, 2013
Visit site

No one (well, no one sensible) is looking for gratification. We're not looking for "cool points." or bragging rights. You know what happens when people buy into the platform? Marketplace improvement. More hardware innovation and choices. The things that Android has as its strengths come to Windows Phone when we show others the benefits to the platform. I don't lie about the problems with Windows Phone. I don't even speak of it optimistically in some cases. However, I think its potential is MUCH greater than that of the competition.

But the real thing I feel like I should again say is you need to just shut up with these comments that because I want to draw users to the platform, I'm "a teenager who has to have the coolest phone on the block."

In case you haven't had the obvious smack you on the face yet, there's a reason Windows Phone lacks a lot of apps. That would be the profitability of the platform, to a great extent. If the 3% or so of us who own these devices just buy them and shut our mouths, growth will be VERY slow. If we take our devices and show their capabilities and advantages to friends and family, then we can grow the platform. Only then will you see things like Instagram, Temple Run, Flipboard, and a deeper selection of Xbox LIVE-enabled mobile games. It will lead to greater commitment to the platform by Microsoft, and we might start seeing title released under the Halo, Gears of War, Fable, Forza, PGR, and Banjo-Kazooie names, and more. We'll see increased unity between WP, Windows 8/RT, and Xbox consoles. We'll see that discounted, multi-platform payment system 17-Bit wanted to bring out for Skulls of the Shogun. We could see the desired improvements to Xbox Music, as more people join that service when they experience Windows Phone. We could see Google's head pulled from its butt, leading to first-party Google apps and that rumored Microsoft-made YouTube app. We could see a high-quality Spotify app. I could spend 2 hours typing out the possibilities.

One last time, you're better off just leaving this discussion if you're going to bring this attitude to it. All you're doing is throwing insults at Windows Phone users because they want to grow the platform and see it become a better mobile experience, both in terms of apps/games and developer/OEM/Microsoft commitment. Go ahead and keep the sour attitude, false assumptions, and ridiculous comments, though. I'm sure they do wonders.

Whatever man.
I don't know why you got so worked up (and took things personally) just because I said no phone or platform was the best. (Honestly - that's about all I said; I didn't "throw insults" or keep false assumptions about anything, geez!)

You obviously see a very personal responsibility in the growth and future of WP so I leave you to your duties. :grin:

Abdul Rahman Noor

Jan 11, 2013
Visit site
HHopefully you wont be someone in future moaning about why we don't have xyz apps because we have low marketshares.

And what if I did?
No really - do I lose my right to complain about a limitation just because I didn't market the platform? So a fan who spends all his free time campaigning for WP has the most right in these matters?

sravanv

Oct 31, 2012
Visit site
from the first post:

Sounds like a good old pissing contest for bragging rights to me

So? With all due respect, what's the big deal? Some of us like to get into "pissing" matches as you like to call it. Others like to stay boring, lame, and unenthusiastic as some others may call it (obviously I don't think it's lame or boring to not try and compare but I'm trying to make a point). People are into smartphones, cars, houses, sports teams, computers, states, countries, continents, etc. It's human nature to show off what you have. Obviously the OP isn't going to run to best buy and purchase himself an S3 since he lost all those battles.

The way I see it, as long as you're not being a prick when doing "battles" or trying to show stuff off, what's the harm? He simply asked a question, let's help him answer it!

Anyways, OP, I'd say using gloves in cold weather is a huge plus. I don't see why MSFT/Nokia doesn't market that enough.

Low light photos is another obvious one too.

jonchai

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
Why doesn't your company encourage the use of Skydrive so that all the documents are saved and backed up and more than a million document links can be shared via an email making the emails less bulkier than ever and in any case cloud copy is always present that is accessible to more than one person if needed?

While it may be a temporary solution, it's actually a very tedious thing to do. It requires every employee to change their habit of doing things which is difficult. Everyone is used to attaching on desktop, suddenly u want people to change to use SkyDrive? People will be pissed. On top of that, if I have 5 documents to send, I'd need to go to SkyDrive and edit my permission 5 times and get the links 5 times. That's a very tedious thing to do.

Keith Wallace

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
While it may be a temporary solution, it's actually a very tedious thing to do. It requires every employee to change their habit of doing things which is difficult. Everyone is used to attaching on desktop, suddenly u want people to change to use SkyDrive? People will be pissed. On top of that, if I have 5 documents to send, I'd need to go to SkyDrive and edit my permission 5 times and get the links 5 times. That's a very tedious thing to do.

No, that's not the case.

First, there is a desktop client for SkyDrive, and it can work in a drag-and-drop fashion. I just did this a few weeks ago while backing up roughly 900 MB of pictures for my dad when he hard drive was failing. If the employees can't handle something that simple, then there's an issue. It takes 10 minutes to set up and learn.

The other part, yes and no.

If you want to individually set permissions for each document and have private SkyDrive accounts, that's true. Depending on your business, you could trust your users and give them a self-created login, and they could share the account. The other option is to use Box, which recently was giving away 25 GB of space (not sure if the offer is still going on). They have a Windows Phone app. Dropbox doesn't, but you can easily create a Dropbox group and use that on a desktop, but they do not have a WP app, so if you're in-need of mobile access, Dropbox is out.

Also, I'd have to check to verify this, but you MIGHT be able to add documents into a folder and send a single link that gives viewing permission (or viewing and editing permission, if you want) to any file in the folder. Again, I cannot guarantee this, but it might be the case.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3