Constantly getting owned by an s3, how do i defend myself ?

Keith Wallace

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
I'm sorry but people like the OP don't get into these pissing matches about phones to further push the platform but rather it is simply just for the bragging rights. Just like how car guys like to brag pointlessly about horsepower, tech guys like to brag about processing power, FLOPS, etc.

Say you have a 920 and were to get into one of these comparisons with a guy who ones a lesser Android phone. After you convince him that your phone is better do you think he's going to run out and buy a 920, or think you need to be put in your place and get the next best Android phone?

If you enjoy these types of comparisons then go ahead, but I don't care what others are using and I don't care if others know what I'm using.

I don't necessarily care what others are using. I DO care about two things though:

1. Improving the state of Windows Phone
2. Helping others make informed decisions about smartphones

I believe that Windows Phone is the best mobile platform. I explain how to people. I explain the issues with the app selection as well. Getting in what the OP calls "friendly" tests against each other isn't a big deal. A "pissing contest," is not something friendly, it's a fairly heated exchange over something trivial. Having fun and showing off the strengths of your technology isn't a pissing contest.

I do this a bit with my brother-in-law. I showed him a bit of my camera's superior low-light capabilities with the camera (my 920 against his S III). I tell him how great getting the entire US map on my device for offline use if better than the apparent 88MB chunks he can get. I was just telling him about how moronic it was that Microsoft is letting Skype beta test video messages on iOS and Android, while ignoring Windows Phone, considering Microsoft OWNS Skype. I've told people how stupid it is that Microsoft doesn't leverage its high-quality Xbox titles on Windows Phone.

I'm a realist with this platform, but I also think it has great potential. It can be the Xbox 360 of the mobile platform--a premiere entertainment platform (with the Xbox titles leading the way), while being of high quality in its main purposes (gaming for the Xbox, calls and messages with Windows Phone). I can't believe that I'm the only one who is irritated by the incessant whining from people, though.

I get that there are broken promises with the platform, but it sucks wanting to have decent discussions with others when most turn into crying about one thing or another.

Ridlah

Jan 11, 2013
Visit site
The thing about the android and ios operating systems is that they get throttled up to the point where the phone can't even run the call app quick enough take my old iphone 3G for example. Windows Phone has an overall smooth interface and Microsoft seems to know when to stop updating a phone. The iPhone 3G and some old androids my friends have can't even run facebook and twitter apps and the browsers are slower than ever. With people hub integration your phone will out last smartphones that haven't even come out yet unless the OEM's plan on rethinking proper stability for older devices.

jonchai

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
First, no, it's not about the desktop. Of course anyone can drop files on desktop's SkyDrive. Let's put it this way, I receive 3 documents from someone while I'm on the run, I need to edit them on phone and blast to everyone else. What's the easiest way without a desktop? Naturally, it's email attachments without the need to upload to SkyDrive 3 times, set permissions then share the links. We're used to the convenience on a Windows desktop, so why not on phone? Even Android's earlier versions can do this. And let me put it this way, RT can, why not WP?

No, I'm not about to do any form of OS comparison, but we're given a smartphone for our convenience, not adding more troubles to do simple tasks.

tekhna

Mar 21, 2012
Visit site
Good lord there's a lot of misinformation about Android on here. It's almost as if folks have a vested interest in not understanding it...

Pin your favorite website? Android can do that too.
Lockscreen apps? Native and third-party options.
Better music? On what planet? XBox Music is a hot damn mess, and there's STILL not gapless playback or separate volume tracks. Or maybe you want to listen to Pandora?
Kid's Corner? Wheee, apps out the nose on Android that do the same thing. For example, https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.kytephone.sandbox&hl=en
Drop test? How is this a real thing that anyone cares about? It's like saying, oh buy the A380 instead of the 787, it crashes better.

At least bother to get your facts straight.

dipayanster

Nov 22, 2012
Visit site
last day i met a stranger on train who was using a s3. from what i gathered he not at all happy with his device and his friend's 920 is actually working better than his s3.he said, 920 is overall more snappier with a better camera and no malware/ virus problem (he had to format his device couple of times and had to install avg at last). he also said he got s3 mainly for mxplayer (any format playback), then i said vlc for wp8 is upcoming and then he got kind of demotivated :)

adipabeta

Sep 21, 2012
Visit site
But was seriously let down by the hd screen on the lumia, The avatar movie on the S3 looked amazing, satturated colours on the s3 seems to have done the job very well.

Hate how lumia 900 translate yellow to orange
And translate other colors too
I don't know how about s3
But they both amoled 😊

travisel

Sep 9, 2012
Visit site
I love my ATIV S with black Gel Case which I dropped a few times here and there with no damage!

This is why they make smartphone cases for! Clumsy people like me lol.

The Samsung Galaxy S3 is an awesome smartphone thus this is why it sold more than 50 Million units!

I feel there is a Windows Phone for every one 😎

inside man 55

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
OP, I don't know if use Office on your 920, but I think this is a huge advantage. I have used Google Docs previously a few times and have not been impressed. Granted, the Office on wp8 is not full featured but to open the apps natively can't be understated. Especially less common types.

Also, I love the try feature of the App Store. An app like WPCentral or Amazing Weather can be tried and tested. Some have indefinite trial periods. My Android knowledge is rusty but this may be an advantage.

Nokia Exclusive Apps plus Nokia support.

SkyDrive, Box, Dropbox together gives you a lot of space.

On the games side, I have found I can get many good quality games for free, I am sure the S3 is no slouch there.

Lenses for your camera offer a lot of flexibility. First phone with Optical Image Stabilization.

Malware free, you don't have to worry about viruses. So no need to run antivirus programs like Avast. Android phones are known to slow down after a while.

Outlook integration is super easy. Native Microsoft ActiveSync.

Live tiles, ability to pin almost anything to your start screen.

Oh and last, Background Task management is very easy on wp8 phones. Block, allow, or enable for next time. I have heard Jelly Bean is better with background tasks.

Here is another thing I love. You can delete carrier bloatware without having to root the phone. I found that amazing moving from my Verizon HTC. Plus no skins, no TouchWiz, no Sense, slowing down the phone.

Survive nuclear fallout (I hope none of us ever have to test this feature).

Nokia and Google are both advancing augmented reality via various ways. I like how the augmented reality works on the Lumia though using the Camera. That Joblens app looks awesome.

Rooms is fantastic. You can share photos, text messages, calendars, notes, all in one place.

Plus if they ever get Xbox games synced right the ability to use your phone to control your Xbox.

Last, i think we have some of the best 3rd party developers on any platform.

And the platform has huge potential!

Cheers.

travisel

Sep 9, 2012
Visit site
I also have the ATIV S and NO problem's with sunlight!

I personally feel Samsung makes the best display's in the world!

4.8" 720p

Samsung has a 5" 1080p display coming and maybe used in Galaxy S4/ATIV S2 this year!

If you are going to fight GS3 with a Lumia 920 you should use 920 secret weapon's!

- 4.5" 768p Touch with Gloves on!
- Buttery Smooth WP8 OS
- 2000mAh Battery with Q-Wireless charging!
- Exclusive Apps
- Polycarbonate body
- Nokia invented the cellular phone!

I don't own a 920 but these features are above GS3 and my ATIV S 😎

WorzelGummage

Dec 30, 2012
Visit site
I have both an S3 and a 920 and the 920's display is far superior when it comes to outdoor visibility in direct sunlight. Don't get me wrong, the S3's SAMOLED screen is nice and crisp but it's still not a patch on the 920's screen.

travisel

Sep 9, 2012
Visit site
Are you serious? Both my brother and my Best Friend have S3's and have **** battery life compared to my 920, they still ask my for a charger, but I tell them all I have is a wireless charging plate sorry!

I have Samsung ATIV S
I get about 36 hours on a charge with daily use! Love my 2300mAh battery!

HNNNNNGHHH

Jan 19, 2013
Visit site
Ignore the person heckling you with their Galaxy S3 perhaps? Honestly, all this hate because of a certain phone you have? Geez, talk about fanboyism.

There's really no "Best Phone" out there, especially in the smartphone world. Technology advances exponentially these days and in a few month's time, their S3 will be overshadowed by a more powerful device. Windows Phone is no exception, but the rate of devices running this platform becoming obsolete is even slower. You may think that the S3 is all that with their "Android Beam" and such, but many users aren't even aware of advanced features on their devices. They just think that a phone is good enough if it can access Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, some viral app that came out recently, etc.

Just be happy with the device you have, today.

(BTW, if you have a Lumia 920 and really want to make Galaxy S3 owners even a tad bit jealous, bring a wireless charging plate with you next time and see what happens...)

TheVillagePrince

Jul 2, 2012
Visit site
What's the audio App on the Lumia called? I'm in need of a good sound recording app for loud music at concerts. hate the ones that drop sound drastically and distort them..

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3