Phones4U Exchange... What to do...

Daniel Ratcliffe

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
Okay, so I've been to Phones4U to get my Nokia Lumia 920 replaced (dust issue yet again)... And they offered a replacement. One problem, they've discontinued the 920. They did however offer me a choice of 4 (originally 3) phones. The 8X, Xperia Z, S3, and the One. But I don't know what to do as my Lumia is a fantastic phone aside from the dust issue and would love another one. Any ideas?

stmav

Retired Moderator
Sep 18, 2012
Visit site
Contact Nokia directly or Elop. His e-mail address is around here somewhere and some people have had success after mailing with him.

martinmc78

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Wow wouldn't expect them to discontinue the 920 already its only just over 6 months old. Cant even see it on there website anymore. Only thing I can suggest if you want to stick with the 920 is take it up with nokia or go direct to your carrier for a replacement. I know O2 are still doing the whole nokia family.

Daniel Ratcliffe

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
Wow wouldn't expect them to discontinue the 920 already its only just over 6 months old. Cant even see it on there website anymore. Only thing I can suggest if you want to stick with the 920 is take it up with nokia or go direct to your carrier for a replacement. I know O2 are still doing the whole nokia family.

I bought it outright so EE aren't an option. Although the latest problem I heard was putting an EE SIM into the phone (not Orange or TMo) would hyper brick the device once connected. Basically, no amount of reflashing etc would fix it. That combined with the widespread dust issue probably got P4U to decide to can it.

martinmc78

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
hmm bit of a bummer - but if you've bought the phone outright (assuming you used credit card) and had numerous problems you should be able to get the money refunded from EE, phones4U or your credit card company. Would then suggest going and getting the phone from another retailer like O2 who have them in stock. Check out the terms on your credit card as they usually offer more than the usual 14 day replacement for faulty goods maybe you can bypass EE and phones4U returns policy and use your cards policy

daniel_sherlock

Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
Yeah, my wife had an issue with her 820 phones 4 u discontinued already, if you get the contact an certain department in hq they have a few Nokias at hq after some visits and calls to hq the located an 820 in the where house just need to get the store manager to contact hq.

Daniel Ratcliffe

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
hmm bit of a bummer - but if you've bought the phone outright (assuming you used credit card) and had numerous problems you should be able to get the money refunded from EE, phones4U or your credit card company. Would then suggest going and getting the phone from another retailer like O2 who have them in stock. Check out the terms on your credit card as they usually offer more than the usual 14 day replacement for faulty goods maybe you can bypass EE and phones4U returns policy and use your cards policy

I used my VISA debit card... don't own a credit card. How does that change matters?

martinmc78

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
I used my VISA debit card... don't own a credit card. How does that change matters?

It shouldn't - have a check I know if you've purchased something via your card you get more protection should things go wrong than the original seller will give you. It could well be enough to get you your money back at least so you can go and buy another 920 from somewhere else.

Daniel Ratcliffe

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
It shouldn't - have a check I know if you've purchased something via your card you get more protection should things go wrong than the original seller will give you. It could well be enough to get you your money back at least so you can go and buy another 920 from somewhere else.

If I do that, then I can just get a Nokia EOS I guess, stick it out with the TITAN for a while longer.

martinmc78

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Yes. Although its worth checking whether the cover is for the original device or if the cover starts again for each replacement device received. If you go direct to visa and contact them they will probably be more help.

Daniel Ratcliffe

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
Yes. Although its worth checking whether the cover is for the original device or if the cover starts again for each replacement device received. If you go direct to visa and contact them they will probably be more help.

Regardless of whether it's for the original or if it starts again for each replacement, I don't care. I'm gonna be getting insurance with my bank once my insurance with Phones4U expires.

Slai

Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
The obvious choice here is taking the One. Resell for much money. Buy new 920. Or just keep it, it's really good.

Kellzea

Oct 3, 2012
Visit site
Just take it to a Nokia care centre or report the handset as faulty to Nokia. They will repair or replace it. Phones 4u have stopped selling it in a hissy fit over exclusivity. They had a bad batch and got loads of returns.

But Nokia owe you a duty of care and will sort you out direct.

Daniel Ratcliffe

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
Just take it to a Nokia care centre or report the handset as faulty to Nokia. They will repair or replace it. Phones 4u have stopped selling it in a hissy fit over exclusivity. They had a bad batch and got loads of returns.

But Nokia owe you a duty of care and will sort you out direct.

Nokia have tried (and failed) more than once to repair it. So I'm just going to ask for a replacement, or perhaps take the One and sell it. Or maybe keep the One. Thing is, this lass I like has a perfect 920.

Daniel Ratcliffe

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
So, get this. I was sat in the Nokia Care Store on the phone to Nokia, and they said "Oh but it hasn't been seen by a Nokia trained technician". My response made my mate **** himself laughing. My response was "Oh so you're telling me the repair guys at the official Nokia care store aren't Nokia trained technicians?" - The repair guy's jaw just dropped. Nokia however are only offering a repair, despite them knowing about the Phones4U offer. Trying to chase a refund from Phones4U but if I don't get that... then I'm probably going to have my hand forced to Android.

Daniel Ratcliffe

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
So my phone came back, cleaned out every spec of dust, added the sheath to protect the front facing camera (yay!), and it's been returned to me in good condition. But here's where the funny bit starts. I decided to take some photos of the packaging with my HTC as the packaging was overkill.

Here's all the packaging I had to go through to get to it.
5842_10200795735111574_1240128570_n.jpg

A giant even compared to my HTC Flyer tablet:
5606_10200795723551285_798042622_n.jpg

And compared to the smartphone that was returned...
1001306_10200795941076723_895866731_n.jpg

EDIT: short lived. Two days after getting it back the issue returns.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ailanamargarett