Which device should I buy: 928 vs 822 vs Q10?

Status
Not open for further replies.

flyingsolid

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
Ah, the Windows Phone tile does not resemble BBDM at all. When your phone is plugged in it allows you to sync music and photos to your phone, then from your phone to your PC (if you go in and select each individual photo/music album). Unless I have missed it there is no all-in-one back up that moves your whole device into an archive onto your PC. It also has a link to the Windows Phone market.

That being said, BlackBerry Desktop Manager is no longer being used. BlackBerry Link is what you have to use with the BB10 phones. It does have back up and restore capabilities, but it doesn't give you granular control over the things you want to back up like BBDM did. It is almost an all or nothing deal. You can choose between Application Data, Media, and Settings or a combination of the three. Which isn't too bad, but I do wish I could drill into Application Data and choose what I want to save.

I'd say if all else is equal except the removable battery and microsd slot between the 928 and 822, then the 822 is probably the way to go.

CHIP72, BlackBerry 10 has taken care of the need for reboots and battery pulls. My Z10 had rebooting issues initially, but that has been fixed in an update (that Verizon has NOT gotten around to releasing - thank goodness for OS leaks).
My Q10 has been rock solid. I have done all kinds of unspeakable things to it since I got it and I have yet had the need to reboot it. The screen is small, yes, but it isn't that bad and it gets the job done. Of course this is coming from a guy who preferred his Bold 9930 to his Galaxy Nexus and the screen size difference wasn't an issue.

For someone with a BBOS device, battery pulls don't happen as often as they are made out to be and I think one of the reasons I have yet to switch to even a Q10 for that matter. In the event I do reboot I am back within 2.5 minutes. Cumbersome but acceptable considering the uptime. And as far as finding an alternative for BBDM in either BB10 or WP, I guess I'll just have to live with it.

I guess the biggest question is how I will react to notifications. Other than that it seems the 822 is a strong contender for me.

snowmutt

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
Okay- just so you know, I am an AT&T user still on WP7, so I am giving advice strictly as a WP fan who loves the OS. Also, I am a HUGE fan of BB10. I just think it is an amazing OS.

-Do not worry about synching emails, calanders, or whatever with WP8. That is a strength of the OS.

-The main reason people are steering you to the 928 is long term satisfaction. The screen is better, the camera has been a complete winner, and for the price it will hold up well for two + years. The 822 has the 2 year ago screen resolution, a okay camera, and may not be as nice in 18 months depending on usage. However, if you cruise the 822 forums, users love it. It has sold surprisingly well on big red, and the removable battery, expandable memory, and interchangeable outer shells make for a functional and fun device. I would not stop you from buying the 822 if it appeals to you. Just know the 928 is premium.

-The Q10 is what it is: The traditional BB experience hardware wise on the new software experience. Yes, the keyboard and cursor experience are better. Yes, BB10 is a great OS experience. I am a fan. But, ask anyone who lived through pre-cut and paste WP7. There is a price for early adoption. Growing pains abound. Truly, the multimedia experience on that screen would be sub-par, defeating the improvements BB10 offers. I am not saying bad things. I am seriously considering BB10 for a future device. It just depends on what is important to you. You seem to be leaning WP.

Let us know what you decide!!

EauRouge

Feb 9, 2013
Visit site
Ask this question on WP central, the answer is a WP device.

Ask this question on crackberry, the answer is a Q10.

My advice, try both. Go to the stores, play around with them. Watch youtube videos about the OS's. Decide what is most important to you. Then buy one that fits your life the best! :)

flyingsolid

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
Ask this question on WP central, the answer is a WP device.

Ask this question on crackberry, the answer is a Q10.

My advice, try both. Go to the stores, play around with them. Watch youtube videos about the OS's. Decide what is most important to you. Then buy one that fits your life the best! :)
In an ideal world... I would have the Q10's keyboard and LED, Lumia's PureView camera and wireless charging, a colorful mix of the BB10 Hub (mainly for organizing notifications) running underneath Live Tiles, BBOS settings control, and SkyDrive and desktop Outlook sync with full local back ups.

At this point, I am in a mental debate on whether the Hub (software side) is more desirable than the hardware gains on a Lumia.

Last edited:

flyingsolid

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
Okay- just so you know, I am an AT&T user still on WP7, so I am giving advice strictly as a WP fan who loves the OS. Also, I am a HUGE fan of BB10. I just think it is an amazing OS.

[...]

-The main reason people are steering you to the 928 is long term satisfaction. The screen is better, the camera has been a complete winner, and for the price it will hold up well for two + years. The 822 has the 2 year ago screen resolution, a okay camera, and may not be as nice in 18 months depending on usage. However, if you cruise the 822 forums, users love it. It has sold surprisingly well on big red, and the removable battery, expandable memory, and interchangeable outer shells make for a functional and fun device. I would not stop you from buying the 822 if it appeals to you. Just know the 928 is premium.

[...]

Let us know what you decide!!

I am not so much worried about syncing as I am where that information will appear. Seems like most of it works itself out in the cloud.

Your explanation for the 928 is particularly good and I think that distinction between a premium device and a quality device (read fancy versus durable) is what I needed to know.

As far as the device comparison goes, I have held the 822 and Q10 in my hands but not played with them so I know both, or all three, are excellent devices. Being a productivity or timely and web surfing based user I would say screen size doesn't matter and growing pains won't bother me as long as the basics are there. [EDIT: Things like BB10 not having Speed Dial or WP8 not having Paste to Dialer will definitely irritate me.] Leaning to Windows Phone, I do so because of the unity I would have between all of my devices.

Oh and I just found out about this [http://forums.windowscentral.com/windows-phone-8/232113-possible-features-coming-wp.html].

Last edited:

montsa007

Ambassador
Apr 10, 2013
Visit site
Its like comparing apples and mangoes, Q10 is a BB OS
822 n 928 are WP8, 822 is older and looks pale (to me)

As of now, the future of BB is uncertain.

montsa007

Ambassador
Apr 10, 2013
Visit site
I am not so much worried about syncing as I am where that information will appear. Seems like most of it works itself out in the cloud.

Your explanation for the 928 is particularly good and I think that distinction between a premium device and a quality device (read fancy versus durable) is what I needed to know.

As far as the device comparison goes, I have held the 822 and Q10 in my hands but not played with them so I know both, or all three, are excellent devices. Being a productivity or timely and web surfing based user I would say screen size doesn't matter and growing pains won't bother me as long as the basics are there. [EDIT: Things like BB10 not having Speed Dial or WP8 not having Paste to Dialer will definitely irritate me.] Leaning to Windows Phone, I do so because of the unity I would have between all of my devices.

Oh and I just found out about this [http://forums.windowscentral.com/windows-phone-8/232113-possible-features-coming-wp.html].

Read the first line of the first post bro.
500 posts

flyingsolid

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
Read the first line of the first post bro.
500 posts

Ya, I did see that after as I navigated to the link first but I guess the point still stands. I guess I should ask this then, does Windows Phone have any real aspect missing that would make one stop and think?

flyingsolid

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
928. There is no guarantee that BB will be around for another update.

Whether or not BB will be around, the updates they are pushing out for BB10 do look promising. Actionable notifications got my attention along with the Hub being opened up at some point in the future. If there was something equivalent in Windows Phone I think this device war would be settle right there and I would go pick up a 928 "tomorrow" (read near future).

FinancialP

Jan 9, 2013
Visit site
This is the perfect thread.

I'm considering a iPhone 5 or a Blackberry.

The blackberry is in the same position as my Lumia when it comes to apps. However the Blackberry offers notifications I so want, and a notification light. Plus it's something different.

I already use a iPhone 4S as my daily phone, so already know all about the iPhone.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss