Welcome to the Windows Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree33Likes

Global Posts
    396 Global Posts
    I never owned an android or iphone. I came straight from BB.

People are patiently or impatiently waiting for GDR2 and then GDR3, but everyone says the updates are peanuts.

They look like really good updates to me. Doesn't seem like peanuts to me.

However, like i said, I never owned an IPhone or Android so what is WP missing? Obviously the the quantity of apps, but WP has great apps, nokia has great apps and I never not found an app I was looking for. Lucky for me I can give two chits about instagram.

For the exception of APP quantity, I thought that WP was on the same level as IP and Android and in some ways better with Nokia and the camera.

So what is WP missing? What am i missing out on?

I am the kinda of guy who wants a flagship phone. I want any and all benefits. All the perks. I'm not out to support any billion dollar business'. I could care less who's #1, 2, 3 or 4. This is why I left blackberry. It makes no sense to me why anyone would own a blackberry.

I chose WP8 cuz i like Nokia and I like live tiles.

So what am I missing guys? Do I stay or jump ship? Hopefully I get some unbias advice.

I was with a friend who has an IPhone 5 and he received an amber alert out of no where. His phone just starting speaking. I thought that was cool.

Global Posts
    2,742 Global Posts
    From as far as i know, you're missing out on very little, i don't use social networks so Windows Phone is perfect for me. :)

GDR 2 and GDR 3 are quite major to me, as they'll bring a more competitive variety to Windows Phone.
    Proud owner of a Nokia Lumia 1520 in Black! :)

My YouTube channel. http://www.youtube.com/user/MickLMZR
    Noahma likes this.
    Amber alert on iPhone5 ??!!

Quote Originally Posted by jkrc717 View Post

People are patiently or impatiently waiting for GDR2 and then GDR3, but everyone says the updates are peanuts.

However, like i said, I never owned an IPhone or Android so what is WP missing? Obviously the the quantity of apps, but WP has great apps, nokia has great apps and I never not found an app I was looking for. Lucky for me I can give two chits about instagram.

For the exception of APP quantity, I thought that WP was on the same level as IP and Android and in some ways better with Nokia and the camera.

I am the kinda of guy who wants a flagship phone. I want any and all benefits. All the perks. I'm not out to support any billion dollar business'. I could care less who's #1, 2, 3 or 4. This is why I left blackberry. It makes no sense to me why anyone would own a blackberry.

So what am I missing guys? Do I stay or jump ship? Hopefully I get some unbias advice.

I was with a friend who has an IPhone 5 and he received an amber alert out of no where. His phone just starting speaking. I thought that was cool.
    wow we are so similar... I don't care if I'm with number one, I don't care about instagram and I'm fine with the gdr updates...

Oh and I really like nokia :) (L800>L920)
    Only standout issues for me are the lack of orientation lock and independent volume control. They are the things I'd need most.
    Thanked by:
    Duvi 

Quote Originally Posted by LMZR View Post
    From as far as i know, you're missing out on very little, i don't use social networks so Windows Phone is perfect for me. :)

GDR 2 and GDR 3 are quite major to me, as they'll bring a more competitive variety to Windows Phone.
    you don't use social! Then WP is perfect for you! You have no idea how to use ur phone. It was Microsoft's number one design function to put people/ social first on your screen!

Visit Feature Suggestions: Top (32404 ideas) and you will know what are missing from WP... You will know what android have and WP haven't. There are a bunch of necessary features are missing from WP:
    1. There is no File Manager.
    2. Browsers don't download files straight into device, but to SkyDrive.
    3. You can't close apps on task manager as like on iPhone and Android.
    4. Media and Ringer volumes are same. So that there is 50% chance to miss your incoming calls.
    5. SD card is read only. No apps have full support to SD card.
    6. No Notification Center as like iPhone and Android., and even there is no Notification indicator(Blink LED).
    7. Large and major thing is the 'Other Storage' kills all phone storage. It takes about 1.5-2GB of Available 4.8GB., ON Nokia Lumia (520,620,720).
    8. We can't download Torrents on Mobile as like Android and Symbian. There are apps like wpTorrent, but the downloaded torrent file resides in apps' storage, and we can't transfer it to our PC. WTF!!!!!!
    9. Another most frustrating thing is lack of Official Apps like Facebook, GMail, Gtalk, YouTube, Instagram, Google Maps, etc.
    Thanked by:
    vish2801 and teckris like this.

How come a wp8 firmware update pass thru apple iphone 5? Strange isn't it, just what TS explained, i am never after a lot of apps in the market, i just checked what will suit my needs, as we all know that storage is one of the issues MS is still trying to figure out so it is best that you choose what serves you well and keep the garbage out. If you came from a system that offers a mountain of apps that everybody was trying to use, honestly MS will disappoint you bec it is not what you think it is but how you appreciate the small things MS could offer.
    Thanked by:

I think OP meant update alert instead of Amber alert ;)

Quote Originally Posted by Nightwishh View Post
    I think OP meant update alert instead of Amber alert ;)
    He may mean Amber Alert because they have a setting to enable "Government Alerts" and when it goes off it can be annoying. (My mom has a 4s) 😉

I think he meant Amber -alert as a missing kid alert.

Global Posts
    152 Global Posts
    If you are satisfied with your current device I don't see why you should jump ship especially when you dont know what other features you are missing out on.
    aximtreo likes this.

Global Posts
    2,742 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by taymur View Post
    you don't use social! Then WP is perfect for you! You have no idea how to use ur phone. It was Microsoft's number one design function to put people/ social first on your screen!
    I know how to use my phone perfectly, thank you very much.
    Am i supposed to have a Facebook, twitter or instagram account to know how to fully use my phone?
    Proud owner of a Nokia Lumia 1520 in Black! :)

My YouTube channel. http://www.youtube.com/user/MickLMZR
    Residing likes this.

As a Verizon customer, the ONLY reason I'm going insane for the GDR2 update is for Verizon to reactivate Group Messaging. The OP may be on AT&T or something, but I know 100% of Verizon Windows OS customers are frustrated as hell. I get at least 2 group text conversations a day that I literally don't respond to because Verizon sucks.
    Thanked by:

Global Posts
    290 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gedzum View Post
    Only standout issues for me are the lack of orientation lock and independent volume control. They are the things I'd need most.
    Totally agree on both. Volume control, come on MS, that's a no-brainer. Isn't the orientation lock coming in the update later this year?
  16. S6R

I don't care about instgram , I'm happy with Lumia GDR 1 or 100

Global Posts
    1,222 Global Posts
    What am i missing out on?
    What you missing out:
    iPhone: only choice of one tiny phone (yes, it is tiny in today's standard). Saves your brain cell to pick and choose.

Android: you can finally experience what Android stuttering is all about even on a 8-core phone.

BTW, when I was using either Windows Mobile (yes, WM has independent volume control before anyone else) or Android, the independent volume control is the thing I hated most. Followed by Android notifications bar/center.
    trandz likes this.

Can't help but notice why MS update is just a small improvement and different date of release by region and phone model, that is why some phone users feel neglected.

Quote Originally Posted by aquimosa View Post
    Can't help but notice why MS update is just a small improvement and different date of release by region and phone model, that is why some phone users feel neglected.
    If you read threads on this board, there are apparently hardware differences that need to be accounted for in the operating system. Some people have reported that the GDR2 update totally disabled their phone, while others report no problems, and I think it is somewhat hardware related. I'm sorry you feel neglected, boo-hoo, but if there are major issues with the update, wouldn't you prefer to limp along with what you've got and let them get it right?

3vgj8i.jpg
    Azzid and WorzelGummage like this.

Don't forget no USB tethering

Quote Originally Posted by KK SARMA View Post
    Visit Feature Suggestions: Top (32404 ideas) and you will know what are missing from WP... You will know what android have and WP haven't. There are a bunch of necessary features are missing from WP:
    4. Media and Ringer volumes are same. So that there is 50% chance to miss your incoming calls.
    6. No Notification Center as like iPhone and Android., and even there is no Notification indicator(Blink LED).
    7. Large and major thing is the 'Other Storage' kills all phone storage. It takes about 1.5-2GB of Available 4.8GB., ON Nokia Lumia (520,620,720).
    8. We can't download Torrents on Mobile as like Android and Symbian. There are apps like wpTorrent, but the downloaded torrent file resides in apps' storage, and we can't transfer it to our PC. WTF!!!!!!
    9. Another most frustrating thing is lack of Official Apps like Facebook, GMail, Gtalk, YouTube, Instagram, Google Maps, etc.

I'm really happy with my L920, and yes, I know Android, I have an android tablet.

Maybe WP is not for you.

Quote Originally Posted by pcangeldust View Post
    Don't forget no USB tethering
    What is "USB tethering"?

Quote Originally Posted by Doohickie View Post
    What is "USB tethering"?
    USB tethering is similar to internet sharing and allows you to share your mobile internet (from sim) to a computer whether that be a laptop or desktop through a USB connection.

The advantage of this is you can browse using your computer if you don't have an active broadband connection.
    Also you can charge your phone whilst using USB tethering and you do not need a wireless/Wifi connection on your laptop or computer when sharing internet.

The connection is also more stable and secure because you are doing it through USB cable instead of over the air.

I'm projecting a bit, but I think people feel that GDR2 and GDR3 are things that should have taken place a while ago. Support for more devices is key, but how could you not plan for that at the launch of the next generation? So, I think frustration comes from a lack of foresight. The tension potentially increased with Blue getting pushed back to 2014. On the flip side, the positive spin is that MSFT is ramping up to make changes. The problem is that these things already exist on Android and iPhone so WP users get miffed. It is almost like what's taking you so long MSFT? You had to know these things were necessary, so even though it is important existing users are anxious for new features to gain parity and advantages. over the mobile operating systems. IT also seems like Nokia is frustrated, when their VP called MSFT for taking so long. It seems like a mixed bag. Yes, we need GDR2 and GDR3, but the planning and timing versus new basic cellphone features (see previous post from other folks) is a tough spot. At least this is how I see it.

Global Posts
    1,714 Global Posts
    There are a bunch of necessary features are missing from WP
    "Necessary" is subjective. To assume that they're necessary to you means they're necessary to the platform is presumptuous. To wit:

Desirable, but not necessary.

No opinion, don't care either way.

You don't need to; apps are tombstoned and reclaimed as needed. If you must, you can long-tap on the back button, switch to an app, and back button out of it to close it. No task manager needed.

I actually prefer this. I've never missed an incoming call I didn't want to miss.

No comment; I have a 920 which doesn't have an SD card.

Notification centers are overrated, IMHO. I don't need one as the home screen IS the notification center, and that works perfectly for me. On my iPhone, I turned off the notification center.

Might be an issue. I've not had a problem with it, but again, I've got a 920 with plenty of space and it was never an issue on my other WPs (520, 820, 8X).

8. We can't download Torrents on Mobile as like Android and Symbian.
    No comment.

If you're stuck on having official apps, that's on you. For me, the built in Facebook integration is exactly the level of smartphone Facebook I want. Instance works GREAT for Instagram, and I avoid Google like the plague.

So yeah, don't always take what one poster declares necessary as actually necessary for the platform. Too many people here are confused between the two.
    Thanked by:
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast