Lost in a sea of lumia.

FC1032

Jun 14, 2013
Visit site
Hello guys :)

First thread, and dipping my toes into the world of WP8. I've been a user of Android for about 4 years and just want something DIFFERENT. I've noticed that my usage pattern is pretty small/simple and essentially any platform should be ok. I've narrowed it down to 4 phones... here in australia, I can get them outright for about:
* Lumia 925: $550 (+ $35 for wireless charging)
* Lumia 920: $380
* Lumia 720: $280-$300 (+ $30 for charging case)
* 8x: $250 (No wireless charging here :( )

I've actually won a bid for a 925. but the I'm having problems with the seller (way past eta, no reply). So I'm expecting the worse. The problem I have with choosing:
* Lumia 925: costs the most, when realistically, isn't TOO much of an upgrade to the 920: I'm fine with the weight of the 920.
* Lumia 920: Would have preferred an AMOLED screen, just for the glance feature... Nothing really "wrong" with it otherwise.
* Lumia 720: Only considering it for the praised battery life, but when I add on a case, it gets close to the price of a 920... which has all round better specs
* 8x: only considered for the price, its cheaper than the 720, with better specs. BUT: cons seem to outweigh it: lack of nokia apps/features, meh camera, average (bad?) battery life and lack of wireless charging
* Lumia 520 was once considered for its price $150, but it's a bit of a comprise.

The incident on ebay made me rethink if I wanted to spend so much on a phone especially when I'm new to WP8. I don't want to hate myself for not liking the OS AND spending so much on it. Thanks in advance :D

juanitoriv

Windows 10 Champion
Sep 1, 2012
Visit site
The OS is super chill IMHO.. I LOVE my 8X but I am unsure about recommending it due to issues that are coming to light re: updates and such. Makes me sad.

The 720 is the lesser of them all. Obviously.. However, I do believe it supports SD card. With an 8GB device, this is pretty much a must though, as apps need to be installed in the device memory, while music, pics, and such can go on the card. Has a nice pro e point though..

About the 920 v 925, what's the storage rating (16gb or 32gb)? My 8X is 16GB, and while I have personally had no major issues having the "smaller" storage, some people do. 925 camera is a bit better I hear. The signal should be better as well, as the aluminum band acts as antenna also.

It may just come down to price and maybe color? 8)

Either way.... Welcome over to WPC!! There's tons of threads about each device. The greater majority of us folks are very helpful too!!

Flagz

Jan 26, 2012
Visit site
I would go with the 920 since your already set that the 8X is a bad choice. Personally, I love my 8X! 920 for its price point is best all around though imo.

FC1032

Jun 14, 2013
Visit site
It may just come down to price and maybe color? 8)

Either way.... Welcome over to WPC!! There's tons of threads about each device. The greater majority of us folks are very helpful too!!

Yea, from what I've read and seen, getting a Nokia gets the most out of WP8... It's funny though, Wasn't the 8x like the signature windows phone? Kinda bad that MS just seemed to neglect it.

I would go with the 920 since your already set that the 8X is a bad choice. Personally, I love my 8X! 920 for its price point is best all around though imo.

I'm really going off online reviews and stuff right now :( I like the 8x too, I think I'd easily accept it if it had wireless charging.

FC1032,

What country are you in, and what carrier do you have? That also will help with device selection.

I'm in Australia and I use TPG (which uses the Optus network). The plan doesn't have 4G and my plan/contract is new.

I suppose right now... I'll need to see how that ebay auction pans out... If it works out in the end and I MAGICALLY receive the phone tomorrow, then my decision has been made for me (Black 925 with charging case)... If not, I think I reconsider all the points you guys have made.

Thanks!

Last edited:

kbilly70

Nov 5, 2012
Visit site
Welcome! Not sure if you have already ruled out the Samsung Ativ S but last I checked it was about $320.00 US on amazon.

You lose some Nokia apps but it has Amoled and has expandable storage. I have the L920 but am thinking of grabbing the Ativ S as a backup device. For me the larger screen is a plus.

As to the 920, its a great phone. I would have to say its probably the best smartphone I've ever used. Wireless charging seems like such a minor thing but after having it I don't think I could live without it.

uopjo6

Jan 5, 2012
Visit site
I agree with kbilly 920 is the best I've ever used. Since launch till now it's still one of the best IMO with an above-average camera housed in a smooth form.

At the moment don't consider any WP device with 8GB internal storage, even with expandable storage.
The Other Storage problem hasn't been fixed yet, even with GDR2 (reported from some users) and you cannot install apps on SD card. Even if you have all media on SD installing apps will take away the remaining storage you have VERY quickly. I suppose 16GB may be enough. 32GB is safer.

broar94

Apr 10, 2013
Visit site
If you need space, go for a lumia 920 which comes with 16gig . if you need better battery life, go for a lumia 720.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using WPCentral Forums mobile app

krishna6233

Oct 31, 2012
Visit site

First thread, and dipping my toes into the world of WP8. I've been a user of Android for about 4 years and just want something DIFFERENT. I've noticed that my usage pattern is pretty small/simple and essentially any platform should be ok. I've narrowed it down to 4 phones... here in australia, I can get them outright for about:

I've actually won a bid for a 925. but the I'm having problems with the seller (way past eta, no reply). So I'm expecting the worse. The problem I have with choosing:
* Lumia 925: costs the most, when realistically, isn't TOO much of an upgrade to the 920: I'm fine with the weight of the 920.
* Lumia 920: Would have preferred an AMOLED screen, just for the glance feature... Nothing really "wrong" with it otherwise.
* Lumia 720: Only considering it for the praised battery life, but when I add on a case, it gets close to the price of a 920... which has all round better specs
* 8x: only considered for the price, its cheaper than the 720, with better specs. BUT: cons seem to outweigh it: lack of nokia apps/features, meh camera, average (bad?) battery life and lack of wireless charging
* Lumia 520 was once considered for its price $150, but it's a bit of a comprise.

The incident on ebay made me rethink if I wanted to spend so much on a phone especially when I'm new to WP8. I don't want to hate myself for not liking the OS AND spending so much on it. Thanks in advance :D

first buy lumia 520 new or used if available n try the os ...check does it suit ur needs ...
LUMIA 520 to 1020 all are handsome phones ..pure quality ..just the os WP8 is a compromise

juanitoriv

Windows 10 Champion
Sep 1, 2012
Visit site
Krishna may have the best idea if you're unsure about the OS. The 521 has become the best selling smartphone worldwide because its cheap, and its everywhere. True, specs and capabilities are not near up to par with your other choices, but...... The OS is consistent across platforms..

Something to consider.

juan6996

Jul 6, 2012
Visit site
Juan, the other guy with the cool name, there's variants... 16 or 32.. Just like the 925 has a 32 in Europe, but TMo US only has 16. Why I said to look first

hey Juan :)
Well, I've never heard of a 16GB Lumia 920. I know the Lumia 925 and 1020 have storage variants, but I'm pretty sure I've never heard of a 16GB 920. Have you?

juanitoriv

Windows 10 Champion
Sep 1, 2012
Visit site
hey Juan :)
Well, I've never heard of a 16GB Lumia 920. I know the Lumia 925 and 1020 have storage variants, but I'm pretty sure I've never heard of a 16GB 920. Have you?

Would have sworn I had, until you said that. Was a long night!! 😉. Thank you for stopping my inadvertent fib.

I will say with 100% certainty the 8X came, yes I said came, in an 8GB version.

My dude, 920 or 925, choice on you. Make sure.. PLEASE!!!!! Make sure the radio's frequencies are going to match what you need/use on your carrier. That's probably the ultimate decider

juan6996

Jul 6, 2012
Visit site
Would have sworn I had, until you said that. Was a long night!! 😉. Thank you for stopping my inadvertent fib.

I will say with 100% certainty the 8X came, yes I said came, in an 8GB version.

My dude, 920 or 925, choice on you. Make sure.. PLEASE!!!!! Make sure the radio's frequencies are going to match what you need/use on your carrier. That's probably the ultimate decider

yeah, for some reason HTC and att decided that it was okay to have 8GB and 16GB versions of the 8X... With the 8GB costing more than the 32GB Lumia 920... Sigh...

FC1032

Jun 14, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for the further input guys :)

A bit too much for me to quote individually but: I did at one point consider the ATIV , but here in Australia I think the price is the same as the 920. When compared, I think the 920 would be the better pick :) Also I actually want a SMALLER phone now. Or at least one that uses the bezels well. I have a Galaxy Nexus and it's a tad too big.

There is actually another 925 deal today, but since my ebay problem isn't settled, I can't jump on the good price... I'm pretty optimistic that the 925 price in general is dropping though. So I might still be able to find a good deal... later :(

gazmatic

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site

get the 920

trust me, those 32gb, camera and wireless charging trumps everything on the other devices

plus l920 gets all the features in amber

i'm using it right now

highly recommend it

https://skydrive.live.com/pagenotfounderror

FC1032

Jun 14, 2013
Visit site
get the 920

trust me, those 32gb, camera and wireless charging trumps everything on the other devices

plus l920 gets all the features in amber

i'm using it right now

highly recommend it

https://skydrive.live.com/pagenotfounderror

Yea I think this is what I'm probably going to end up getting (unless a super cheap 925 comes along).

Slightly off topic, but when is the next gen lumias expected to be due?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss