Android/iOS users, what's keeping you from switching to Windows Phone?

Visa Declined

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site
I really don't want to turn this into a "who collects more data on you" thread. Many here believe it's only evil when Google does it, because well.. they hate Google.

Regardless, that's all I have to say on the matter.

Pch79

Jun 4, 2014
Visit site
I'm switching from android. The apps were a concern but I've found everything I need on the Windows app store albeit under a different name. Android still lags in areas it shouldn't which there are no excuses for and I hate Google and their forced integration of Google plus etc. It's a big no no for me. I'm using wp on my work device and loving it so ill be getting the 930 for personal use if it ever gets released 😊

Jun 9, 2014
Visit site
I'm switching from android. The apps were a concern but I've found everything I need on the Windows app store albeit under a different name. Android still lags in areas it shouldn't which there are no excuses for and I hate Google and their forced integration of Google plus etc. It's a big no no for me. I'm using wp on my work device and loving it so ill be getting the 930 for personal use if it ever gets released 😊

You can use Android without Google Plus you know that right? I haven't used Google Plus EVER. Google Plus can die in a fire. But Google Plus can be avoided entirely.

Posted via Windows Phone Central App

Pch79

Jun 4, 2014
Visit site
Yes I know what you mean. when you log into YouTube they auto create a plus account for you and you don't get a choice and then they go saying that google plus is growing in leaps and bounds...look at all these people joining up etc etc. when infact they didn't get a choice. Those tactics pushed me over the edge. I'll try find a web link.

Here you go first one.

Also I can't make comments on Android apps without having a plus account.

http://www.zdnet.com/thanks-for-nothing-jerkface-7000030306/

Michael Fowler

Feb 23, 2014
Visit site
Oh please, this type of argument always leads to more trouble than it is worth. Google won't be on Microsoft's devices until they gain more market share and that's a fact. Windows Phone is no more secure than any other smartphone. Windows Phone just happens to have so little market share no person making malware bothers making malware for the platform. Instead they go for the big fish namely Android.

And let's stop this "Google invades all the privacy" when Google Services are all opt in services that require input from the user them self to even work effectively. They are even more transparent than Microsoft then selves but, you don't want to hear any of that.

Posted via Windows Phone Central App

Michael Fowler

Feb 23, 2014
Visit site
This is bunk. Google, aka android, is open source. Anyone that knows how to write code can rewrite android in anyway they want. Look at all the roms and forked versions of android. Of course google is changing that to guess why. Oh that's right security reasons.

keriboomboom

May 14, 2014
Visit site
Im a windows phone user for about a year now and i could say i enjoy it much especially the 8.1 update. But you know what, apps in windows phone are still lacking and not really competitive with android and ios. An example of apps are facebook, viber, skype, instagram, and other common apps. These apps works great on android and ios but not in wp. Apps on wp is not well polished.

Power Surge

Banned
Jun 10, 2014
Visit site
Is it games and apps that aren't available? Is it the OS itself? The 8.1 dev preview brought a lot of cool features to Windows Phone. I don't own one yet, but I think it's only a matter of time before I try one out. I really just need to see a few of my favorite games show up on the platform, and then my transition would be easier. I could always use it as a second device I suppose, in case I can't function without my Google services(I probably can't).

Tell me what you think!

I would love to play Shadow Gun: Dead zone on my 1520.

Power Surge

Banned
Jun 10, 2014
Visit site
I'm apple user.

2. the tiles user interface. I don't like it and think it looks gaudy. (others may like it though and thats fine with me)
There are so many screen enhancers with 8.1. You can make a tile with your own words, like video, audio, or games.

You can add invisible /transparent tiles to create space, reducing clutter

Or use a ffolder app

BK1112

Nov 6, 2013
Visit site
Mainly apps - some of the Swedish apps missing, e.g. banks, newspapers and the training apps e.g. Withings, mobile.de etc.
Secondly - the size/weight of the Lumia phones. They are just to big and heavy.

Despite that, I have placed a preorder on a 930, just to test it together with my 5S.. one of them will end up on ebay.

Soulstream

Apr 9, 2014
Visit site
1. Local apps are missing entirely. I always see "Available in App Store and Google Play", but very few (if any) mention about WP8
2. I bought apps. I have about 200$ worth of apps bought and frankly I would lose all that money if I moved.
3. While Microsoft has a lot of good services, Google's are better (for now).

So in 2 word my reason is "ecosystem lock". I don't have problems recommending WP8 to anyone and I used one of my friend's WP8 phone. It's a very good phone with a very good OS, but it came a little late.

ohgood

Aug 20, 2011
Visit site
Is it games and apps that aren't available? Is it the OS itself? The 8.1 dev preview brought a lot of cool features to Windows Phone. I don't own one yet, but I think it's only a matter of time before I try one out. I really just need to see a few of my favorite games show up on the platform, and then my transition would be easier. I could always use it as a second device I suppose, in case I can't function without my Google services(I probably can't).

Tell me what you think!

Lack of offline navigation,
live tracking,
Routing
and most importantly sharing of all my files with who I want, when I want.

Other things missing:
Full phone backup to sdcard
Hacking community

Annoyances:
Browser
Tiles (the idea was neat 4 years ago, now it's old)

Surprised how little annoys me about the os really.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss