Google Search on Android

peacefulberry

Feb 4, 2013
Visit site
It is because, it is basically Google Now. Which needs this info just like our Cortana.

I was just going to say this...its the universal search for your phone. You can actually choose what it searches in the phone's settings. Even blackberry had this. It was so helpful in countless of scenarios, because you can type in a word and it will find what you're looking for anywhere on the phone (emails, messages, files, etc. I actually wished wp8 had this.

Malay Agarwal

Feb 3, 2014
Visit site
I was just going to say this...its the universal search for your phone. You can actually choose what it searches in the phone's settings. Even blackberry had this. It was so helpful in countless of scenarios, because you can type in a word and it will find what you're looking for anywhere on the phone (emails, messages, files, etc. I actually wished wp8 had this.
Cortana can do that too.

Slayix312

May 31, 2014
Visit site
This is why I try to avoid Google ;)

Wait how are you surprised that the thing that shows you your calendar, lets you initiate and make voice calls, lets you search your contacts, lets you dictate a message to send, etc...; needs those permissions?

All those looks pretty standard for what the app does (which is AWESOME) btw.

If you don't like those permissions than get Xprivacy via Xposed. You can limit any permission you want or feed it false data. Something that isn't possible on WP.

I guarantee you that Cortana does the same thing (it has to, to be any good) but it may just not tell you all the permissions it needs.

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Wait how are you surprised that the thing that shows you your calendar, lets you initiate and make voice calls, lets you search your contacts, lets you dictate a message to send, etc...; needs those permissions?

All those looks pretty standard for what the app does (which is AWESOME) btw.

If you don't like those permissions than get Xprivacy via Xposed. You can limit any permission you want or feed it false data. Something that isn't possible on WP.

I guarantee you that Cortana does the same thing (it has to, to be any good) but it may just not tell you all the permissions it needs.

OP probably assumed it was just a search app a la the one we have over here on WP.

Silviu Bogusevschi

Oct 27, 2013
Visit site
Yes, I am paranoic about 'giff permissions to Google'.
Yes, I know Cortana does something similar. Although it does not search through the gallery or wifi networks.
Yes, I don't like the fact that the app, which was designed to google, requires to access everything (literally).

Edit 1: Cortana can work if you disable some permissions, can you use Google Search if you disable permissions? I really don't know, but I think the answer is negative.

Slayix312

May 31, 2014
Visit site
Yes, I am paranoic about 'giff permissions to Google'.
Yes, I know Cortana does something similar. Although it does not search through the gallery or wifi networks.
Yes, I don't like the fact that the app, which was designed to google, requires to access everything (literally).

Edit 1: Cortana can work if you disable some permissions, can you use Google Search if you disable permissions? I really don't know, but I think the answer is negative.

If Cortana can open your photos then I guarantee you it can search through your gallery. I haven't used Cortana yet however so I don't know. The Wifi network permission most likely gets info from your wifi only when you have it turned on in location tracking. So that shouldn't matter either.

You CAN disable some permissions and have it still work on Android with Xprivacy or you can feed ALL of the permissions false data via Xprivacy on Android.

Either way none of those permissions are alarming given what it does; and you can modify them in the way I described if they do bug you.

Malay Agarwal

Feb 3, 2014
Visit site

If Cortana can open your photos then I guarantee you it can search through your gallery. I haven't used Cortana yet however so I don't know. The Wifi network permission most likely gets info from your wifi only when you have it turned on in location tracking. So that shouldn't matter either.

You CAN disable some permissions and have it still work on Android with Xprivacy or you can feed ALL of the permissions false data via Xprivacy on Android.

Either way none of those permissions are alarming given what it does; and you can modify them in the way I described if they do bug you.

Basically Cortana cant open a specific photo, but only the "photos" app
If I tell her "open photos" she will open the APP only.
If I tell her "open my photo with my father" she is going to perform a bing search and won't open the photo of my me with my father.

chezm

Apr 9, 2013
Visit site
annnnnd with less than three clicks of a finger nail, it's uninstalled.

if you're using a smart phone, your government already has access to ALL YOUR DATA anyway.

which is a whole lot more invasive.

We do want the Law Enforcement capturing sexual predators and other horrible, unlawful acts. Our HW manufacture and provider for internet applications needs access to peoples information for?..MS, Apple and everyone else this is targeted at, not just Google.

ohgood

Aug 20, 2011
Visit site
We do want the Law Enforcement capturing sexual predators and other horrible, unlawful acts. Our HW manufacture and provider for internet applications needs access to peoples information for?..MS, Apple and everyone else this is targeted at, not just Google.

there's a law enforcement agent sitting at your ISP, so it's OK to snoop through everything you do online?

nothing to hide, nothing to fear?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vascro