I'm losing patience with Windows Phone!

jonahtrav

Apr 2, 2014
Visit site
I have to agree with you ... I can't understand why MS hasn't fixed their Music , video or Skype and other apps...MS can't do anything about other people's app ,but not fixing your own...makes no sense.

Clive Rennie

May 16, 2013
Visit site
I don't think it's fair that this guy speaks his mind and he gets berated by some, I too get frustrated with wph & Microsoft but I wouldn't give up my lumia 1520 for anything. I have an iPad Air and looking at the screen without live tile is frustrating to me it was a gift. As for apps I'm not a game player I have all that I need plus I see updates everyday in the notification menu. When Microsoft gives up on ph then I think we will all be let down. Don't see that happening but hey you never know

Draganta

Oct 15, 2013
Visit site
I'm losing patience with these kinds of topics!

If WP suits your needs, use it. If it doesn't, switch to a OS that does. It can't be simpler. Good luck switching to Android and say hi to Google from us!

jordanzhninja

May 4, 2014
Visit site
I have always loathed this "app" thing.
A mobile phone is for calling and texting people! Why do you need billions of apps to be happy with your phone? Because nobody contacts you?

Rant over, but seriously, I cba with people slagging off an OS because it hasnt got every app made ever.

prasath1234

Oct 28, 2013
Visit site
I have always loathed this "app" thing.
A mobile phone is for calling and texting people! Why do you need billions of apps to be happy with your phone? Because nobody contacts you?

Rant over, but seriously, I cba with people slagging off an OS because it hasnt got every app made ever.

Ya I second you .mobile phone is only for that purpose but smartphone means apppppps.

Sent from my C2305 using WPCentral Forums mobile app

big dooze

Jan 19, 2012
Visit site
man, you are all missing the point...

If MS doesn't fix their apps, get more people excited about WP and more app developers on board....THERE WILL BE NO MORE WINDOWS PHONE!!!!

Im not an App guy, but there are Apps I wish we had. I have NEVER said I don't like the OS....the ecosystem is broken...it needs to be fixed or we will all be looking for a new Smartphone OS to turn to.

chezm

Apr 9, 2013
Visit site
I'm losing patience with these kinds of topics!

If WP suits your needs, use it. If it doesn't, switch to a OS that does. It can't be simpler. Good luck switching to Android and say hi to Google from us!

Its a discussion on phone wars, these topics keep things interesting...if you're not a fan boy.

I like my WP a lot, prefer more than android or IOS...however this platform is missing important features to bring more users onboard.

spasell

Jun 11, 2014
Visit site
Its a discussion on phone wars, these topics keep things interesting...if you're not a fan boy.

I like my WP a lot, prefer more than android or IOS...however this platform is missing important features to bring more users onboard.

Hit it right on the head. The OP was right to talk about it. Why? Because those of you that love the WP will not have access to said WP if the entire platform does not improve and get more market share. It's in the best interest of the community to make suggestions and improvements and rant a little. That type of passion is needed. The hardware is beautiful...in my opinion, better than Apple and Samsung phones (HTC much better now) but due to the limitation of some very basic apps, sadly, no one wants to adopt. Oh well. I use the Samsung Galaxy Note 3 and was thinking about making a change, but there are so many apps I use that I didn't realize I rely on, I could never make the change. Wish I could though...

BTW. I bought a SP3 coming from Apple MacAir and LOVE IT. There is hope to convert some if you offer the better OVERALL experience.

Andrew POstings

Aug 26, 2014
Visit site
I'm a long time android & iOS user now using a 1520 and loving it. All the apps I need I can find (my daughter was looking for candy crush but we found bejeweled and she prefers that- none of this silly waiting before you can go to another level! I'm not suing any fitbit style accessories- but the bing health seems fine with its pedometer for my needs (and also using mydiet fitness pal- which syncs over the cloud with the android and iOS apps). I wasn't too sure about hiking apps but found 'Outdoor Navigation' which is pretty good (and the 1520's large screen that's readable in bright sunlight is brilliant). There are a couple of apps that I can only get on iOS but that's not stopped me using android in the past and now WP more and more! I definitely think it's worth as many people as possible contacting the android or iOS app makers and asking them when they will produce a WP phone app. The more people do that the more the supplier is likely to do something about it- if they think there is a market (I've done that with Citymapper and also Pocketcasts- though there are excellent equivalents on WP. Google+ is the one app which I use which is clunky on WP- but I can live with it (and I have other ways to get to G+ when I need to).

colinkiama

Oct 13, 2013
Visit site
Everything is fine but the xbox apps in my opinion. I don't understand why the most used applications for media on a phone (music, video and games) are terrible. It is very strange.

boxa72

Dec 2, 2012
Visit site
I agree that the lack of a flagship phone in the near future is extremely worrying. I don't understand why Microsoft bothered buying Nokia if they aren't going to invest in flagship models as its those phones that get everyone's attention, not bargain basement ****!!!

DMahoneFO

Aug 26, 2014
Visit site
I've been a long and dedicated WP user, starting from a base of long experience with Microsoft. Every update to the phone OS has been eagerly awaited, imbued with hope that MS will finally come out with a new, improved WP that will take it to the big leagues with iOS and Android. It gets better, but it's barely keeping up, not surging ahead. Microsoft is losing the smartphone war, and I don't see any hope that that will change. Too bad, and I hope I'm wrong, but there are tech winners and losers as the market sorts itself out. WP is slipping into the dustbin of history.

Brandon Tobias

May 6, 2014
Visit site
I agree that the lack of a flagship phone in the near future is extremely worrying. I don't understand why Microsoft bothered buying Nokia if they aren't going to invest in flagship models as its those phones that get everyone's attention, not bargain basement ****!!!

Because they are focused on Windows 9 and Windows Phone 9 ..... So a flagship for that OS will be out soon.
As MS work on WP9 .. The remaining Nokia members would design and build a new device around it and after seeing the HTC one with windows they might just do something good. also remember the finishing touches need to be put on the 830 and 730 to round out Nokia's / MS mobile's line up.

I would also think that MS would change up the product lineup from the next generation device or WP9 devices aka X40 series ... so its a wait game.

Just pray that WP9 and Windows 9 are awesome and brings them on bar with IOS and Android so people will wanna use it more as well as develop for it we need NEW API's and overall enhancements / faster / new animations .... yada yada

ScruffyT

Apr 20, 2014
Visit site
I like to buy my phones because I like the OS, and not because what apps it has...[/I]

Well, I think that's why most of the current WP users are here, especially the higher end phone users. But, I agree that it's ultimately still a problem that we lack so many games for mobile gamers and apps (like banking ones). This will always be a legitimate concern, whether exaggerated or not, for Android and iOS users. At the end of the day this is a marketshare issue that Microsoft really needs to work on, IMO, primarily through better marketing.

I have to agree with you ... I can't understand why MS hasn't fixed their Music , video or Skype and other apps...MS can't do anything about other people's app ,but not fixing your own...makes no sense.

Well, I believe that the incompetence comes from how big and disorganized Microsoft has seemed over the years. I've read a few articles here and there about the different cultures all under one roof. The restructuring that's going on most likely isn't helping either.

Ya I second you .mobile phone is only for that purpose but smartphone means apppppps.

Sent from my C2305 using WPCentral Forums mobile app

Is it though? I always though that was more so apple's message more than anyone else's. i may be wrong though.

Hit it right on the head. The OP was right to talk about it. Why? Because those of you that love the WP will not have access to said WP if the entire platform does not improve and get more market share. It's in the best interest of the community to make suggestions and improvements and rant a little. That type of passion is needed. The hardware is beautiful...in my opinion, better than Apple and Samsung phones (HTC much better now) but due to the limitation of some very basic apps, sadly, no one wants to adopt. Oh well. I use the Samsung Galaxy Note 3 and was thinking about making a change, but there are so many apps I use that I didn't realize I rely on, I could never make the change. Wish I could though...

BTW. I bought a SP3 coming from Apple MacAir and LOVE IT. There is hope to convert some if you offer the better OVERALL experience.

What are the apps? I remember a couple of years ago the verge had a thread dedicated to finding alternatives or 3rd parties to apps from iOS and Android because people kept repeating this line but never said what apps.. If I recall correctly, the conclusion was that most people would most likely be able to switch without much fuss assuming that they weren't gamers. But yeah, all in all, WP lacks the sheer number so we do miss out on some indie/startup hits or get abandoned by first parties. But I just don't think it's as bad as some people make it to be. I especially think that people don't use the apps they say they do as much as they think sometimes.

Like Tobias said, most likely for WP9. It's still a bit stressfull, though, because we may have to wait like 8 months for high end software, and by then the Note 4, nexus 6, and large screen iphones will have been released with a GS6 on it's way early next year. Also, I think nokia is till somewhat important as a brand name in some countries.

Just pray that WP9 and Windows 9 are awesome and brings them on bar with IOS and Android so people will wanna use it more as well as develop for it we need NEW API's and overall enhancements / faster / new animations .... yada yada

TBH, I'm praying that Microsoft and OEMs get their act together when it comes to marketing and displaying.

Brandon Tobias

May 6, 2014
Visit site
Do like me... go back and forth between wp, android and iphone. get sick of one then move on. It never gets old...

nah ima go back to androids and Blackberry 10 this is like the third time this week my phone has crashed ..... or touching the screen just went un responsive .... idk wth is going on with this 920 lol ....

DMahoneFO

Aug 26, 2014
Visit site
I've been a long and dedicated WP user, starting from a base of long experience with Microsoft. Every update to the phone OS has been eagerly awaited, imbued with hope that MS will finally come out with a new, improved WP that will take it to the big leagues with iOS and Android. It gets better, but it's barely keeping up, not surging ahead. Microsoft is losing the smartphone war, and I don't see any hope that that will change. Too bad, and I hope I'm wrong, but there are tech winners and losers as the market sorts itself out. WP is slipping into the dustbin of history.

The latest example of Microsoft falling short with its phone products:
I installed the eagerly awaited 8.1 upgrade, only to find that it broke the contacts search functionality.
I have over 5000 contacts on my phone, so if I can't search them, it's useless.

After a bunch of rooting around for a solution, I finally bit the bullet and RESET the phone back to its factory settings.
I then screwed around with it for another couple of hours restoring it to its proper functionality (with the upgrade). And this fixed the contacts search problem.

Years of such screw-ups by Microsoft have given me lots of experience fixing their problems, but it's getting very old. I'm sure many of you have similar war stories.

How do ordinary users, who lack this level of commitment, patience and tech savvy, ever deal with their Microsoft products?

Another nail in the Microsoft phone's self-made coffin, I'm afraid.

vlad0

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
As it turns out, its not easy to make a properly working OS as quickly as Microsoft needs to do so.. They should've switched to the NT kernel a long time ago, but I guess the hardware wasn't ready to take it.

If you want a somewhat reliable OS with apps/support you are going to have to settle for iOS 7/8 for now and wait until things stabilize. We are yet to go trough another major upgrade once they merge Windows RT with WP... hopefully by this time next year the Windows will be mature enough... being a beta tester sucks.

Ejai Eghwofobe

Oct 8, 2014
Visit site
Why would they listen to their customers? According to 99% of the people on this forum Windows phone is perfect, if you have a complaint or are dissatisfied in any way it is because YOU are too weak to "handle a windows phone". So really why should they improve? I knew right from the beginning you were going to get attacked but it's not because the people here don't have app envy towards iOS and Android....it's because many of them do. I completely agree with you. I bought a Nokia 920( coming from a galaxy s3) and was disappointed by the apps(which all felt like bootlegged bloatware and not REAL apps) and some of the weird things the phone did. Like when you start playing music and then stop every time you push the volume button afterwards the music player shows up. I had to download an app to stop that from happening. Little things like that really irritated me. I also found the camera quality to be over-hyped. The phone looked nice but that "resuming" nonsense and other little quirks really got on my nerves. I ended up returning the 920 a couple of days ago (Could only stomach it for 28 days) and ordering an iPhone 6. Hopefully my experience will be better with Apple. I am not in the habit of waiting for a platform to get better. That's not what I pay my money for and I am pretty sure that's a big reason that Windows Phone is struggling now. Not many people want to pay money for a platform that has "potential" but doesn't deliver.
wow, I must be the only person who thinks there are flaws with the platform! Everyone that has been ganging up on me must not have ANY app resentment toward IOS & Android, AND all of their peripheral devices are 100% supported and the Windows ecosystem lives up to ALL of their wishes. To me, the Microsoft ecosystem is broken. They broke it when they stripped Zune app (functionality) away and forced us to use Xbox Music which it took 2 years to get a video App, a music app that is half-baked and can someone please explain to me....why on gods green earth do podcasts "require" their own app?

The Billion dollar company you speak of had better start listening to its customers, since they have made mistake after mistake in the consumer space since the Xbox 360, de-coupling Zune from the Phone OS, discontinuing Windows Media Center, Windows RT, Windows 8 Modern interface, Xbox One release marketing....do I need to continue? At 2.5% of the market share, I don't foresee Microsoft supporting this OS much longer, I REALLY hope I am wrong because despite what you think , I do enjoy it. I love the fact it doesn't look like an iPhone or Android, but I hate the fact it gets little more attention than blackberry...but ESXCUSE THE HELL OUT OF ME for voicing my opinion on this forum.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taylormcintire