Why the iPhone 6 Camera Beats the 1020

Status
Not open for further replies.

RaRa85

Nov 2, 2011
Visit site
wait wait denim is coming soon , that make Lumia camera 📷 so faster ,, so after denim update do your comparison ,, Microsoft is little slow at past time n but now it showing it's amazing faster OS development ,,, so compare with a awesome OS ,,, and 8mp picture size = near 2mb ,,, and 41mp picture size he he it's your answer bro

I don't think Lumia 1020 owners will get treated to the speed boost unfortunately. I think that is reserved for the later Icon/930 and 1520 models. The 1020 will probably just get "enhances and improvements". The 1020 didn't even get support for living images that came with cyan so don't expect much from the denim update.

salmanahmad

Banned
May 12, 2014
Visit site
LED flash (iPhone 6) is not better than Xenon flash (Lumia 1020), sorry - only Xenon flash can caputere any movements well ....

The iPhone has a true tone flash, captures colours way more accurately.

if anything to be believed is that the verge is an apple site, extremely biased, even say phonearena. They never included lumia's in their shootouts.
The photos on iceland, did you see the noise on those pics ?
I bet even the 1520 would have done a better job.
1020 has drawbacks, 1020 is based on the 2 yr old processor. But the image quality and the camera algorithms are light years ahead.
Everyone knows 1020 is slow in start up, also the post processing time depending how you shoot. Thats it the DRAWBACKS end right their.

Still how can one straight say iphone 6 beats 1020,
iphone works better for you, 1020 works better for me Simple Logic, you cannot come to a conclusion using just shot times and speed.
I also have some shots which i have taken very quickly just watching something, its just takes max 3 secs, I dont think the subject will vanish in that span.

I viewed the Iceland photo shoot and I don't see much noise to speak of. The detail, the colors, and the focusing was superb though. The Verge may be biased in some ways, but they didn't mess with the photos and they we're great.

Also Phonearena isn't biased, they've done a comparison of the 1520 to the iPhone 6's camera, and guess what? iPhone won in most aspects.

http://www.phonearena.com/reviews/C...-LG-G3-Lumia-1520-Xperia-Z2-HTC-One-M8_id3805

Last edited by a moderator:

amrut_m

Mar 3, 2013
Visit site
The iPhone has a true tone flash, captures colours way more accurately.

That way Nokia should have named 1020's flashed " Faster than FLASH (Flash the character) " flash as xenon freezes the moment.
@salan are'nt you done praising iphone yet ? is apple paying you ? most of your previous posts were like your iphone GaGa.

Jaripi

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
I viewed the Iceland photo shoot and I don't see much noise to speak of. The detail, the colors, and the focusing was superb though. The Verge may be biased in some ways, but they didn't mess with the photos and they we're great.

Also Phonearena isn't biased, they've done a comparison of the 1520 to the iPhone 6's camera, and guess what? iPhone won in most aspects.

Camera comparison: iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus vs iPhone 5s, Galaxy S5, LG G3, Lumia 1520, Xperia Z2, HTC One (M8)

Can you compare low light photos of Anandtech review - can you tell me which one better: Lumia 1020 or iPhone 6 ?

AnandTech | Gallery - Low Light Photo Location 1 - 18 Photos

By the way, iPhone 6 / 6 Plus photos has some strange details if you look them carefully - just find out yourself ....

Last edited:

ragingklu

Jan 21, 2013
Visit site

Camera comparison: iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus vs iPhone 5s, Galaxy S5, LG G3, Lumia 1520, Xperia Z2, HTC One (M8)

I agree with you here to a point, but it's still hard to take them seriously when they dock the 1520 for a feature that works simply because they didn't know about it (Directional Stereo). Overall, it's a relatively decent comparison of the default behaviors of a wide range of devices, which is good, but any hack can half-*** something. They shouldn't be baffled by stuff like that.

amrut_m

Mar 3, 2013
Visit site

I guess you did not check out the images. Straight saw the Points, Awesome iSheep Fan

How on earth is iPhone better than 1520 in these images ???? :evil:
100-crop.jpg
100-crop.jpg
100-crop.jpg

give me 1 reason I shoud give 10/10 for an iPhone here?
People are trolling their that they shoud rename the site as iPhone Arena :grincry:

Jaripi

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
By the way, if you look that Anandtech review - they are comparing focus and shot latencies by MILLISECONDS (ms) - it makes it look great as a comparison, but honestly, we are not living by milliseconds in a real life ...

iliramove

Sep 17, 2013
Visit site
The OP has a point. Quick on-to-shoot time matters in most cases. However, when I'm taking pictures with my 1020, it's all about patience and getting the shot. Spontaneous shot? I'll go to my 1520 or 930.

For me, in the end, it boils down to using the right tool for the job.

Jaripi

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
It is easy to change a default camera app in WP - I am usually using Nokia Camera app, because of all great features, but if I need some quick photos, I will use Camera (MS) app as a default camera app (much faster and has burst too) ... or you can use just 5 MP capture mode of Nokia Camera, which allow much faster shot to shot too (like suggested By Kunal Jain586) ....

Last edited:

realwarder

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
iPhone auto HDR (i.e. semi-fake) gives better balanced daylight shots. Hopefully Denim will match that.

iPhone nighttime shots are way more noisy than the Lumias. Probably tuned for users who want a non-blurry (faster) shot with higher ISO. I'd expect the phone to use the accelerometer as part of choosing the ISO - if the phone is moving you can speed up the shot... heck, that almost sounds patentable.

Usability wise the iPhone is now ahead of the curve with a fast UI and great panorama mode. Again, hopefully Denim and the new camera app update will add some speed and maybe simplify some functions.

In the 80X series CPUs there are dedicated DSPs for image processing, so hopefully Microsoft are working on getting the most of those...

There is no doubt we need Denim quickly to catch up a little, if not in pure image quality, in the whole perceived usability areas.

Qtweeder

Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
"Prior to this I had owned an iPhone 4, it had a revolutionary mobile sensor for it's time"

for words like revolutionary, i would be more tempted to say that about the nokia n8 (same year as iphone 4)

broughshane

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
Yo ho ho and a bottle of rum !! my meat and veg is bigger than yours. don't get too drunk and fall asleep on your iPhone. Wouldn't want you bending it now.

BatteryLife

Dec 12, 2013
Visit site
Hahaha... So much about trying not to be biased and get comments about being an iSheep, seriously.

Sometimes, we must learn to give credit to people who have done things well, and not blindly praise whatever you like. You say that Lumia 1020 is light years ahead. Not sure that you're sober but those tech existed in other cameras way before that. The only difference is that its in a smaller package.

Though this is WPCentral, I hope to see people not being too biased about their decision making.

P.S sooner or later somebody is going to bring in the price of both devices into the thread. (shrugs)

meowmixmeow

Sep 6, 2014
Visit site
The 6 may possibly be better in processing its images, but I highly doubt it would beat the Lumia 1020's raw images. Seriously, it's a bigger sensor. Dynamic range is pretty good, you can recover tons of detail from high lights and from the shadows. I think these two cameras suit two different types of shooters. I feel like we're comparing a medium format camera (lumia 1020) vs a crop sensor body (iphone 6). Sure, the 6 is faster, quicker for shots, quicker for people who like street photography, but the 1020 excels in the latter, such as stills like landscapes and detailed pictures. The quality of the 1020 is most closest to a dslr, and is more comfortable to shoot with. As a photographer myself, the camera button feels much more at home on the 1020, while the typical mobile phone camera button is lack luster on the iphone 6. I found the 1020 suits me better than the iphone 6 because I'm more of the decisive moment type of person, who can decide when it is the proper time the release the shutter, rather than taking a picture, and then chimping on the screen to see if it's a keeper or not, and shooting again. I do chimp for landscapes though...i have issues...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moocher720