Why the iPhone 6 Camera Beats the 1020

Status
Not open for further replies.

thesachd

Banned
Sep 30, 2014
Visit site
To start off I would just like to say that I hold no ill will against Windows Phone in the time that I have tried it I have realised that it is one of the most polished experiences a mobile platform can offer.

With that said I am the kind of guy that loves photography, I am by no means an expert nor am I the kind of guy that can operate a DSLR properly but I know quite a bit about photography and how cameras work.

I was in the market to get a camera, a P&S to be more exact and I stumbled upon some alternatives: your average smartphone.

Prior to this I had owned an iPhone 4, it had a revolutionary mobile sensor for it's time but it came nowhere near a point and shoot and obviously couldn't best a DSLR.

But the internet was filled with posts about mobile cameras getting better and better and then finally....I came across a phone that was marketed as a "DSLR" alternative.

So I went online searched up some devices, found that the best camera sensors we're on Android, Windows Phone and iOS devices(and maybe some other OSes).

I'm not a tech savvy guy so please bear with me. I got a Nexus 5 and 1020 from Ebay and have been using both these devices for a few months now. I just bought an iPhone 6 last week and it absolutely blows away both of them in the camera department.

And now you might ask...how?

The reason being that while the 1020 had a 41 Megapixel camera it was tooo slow, a key part in photography while my Nexus 5 had jumpy autofocus as well(possible hardware defect) this made it hard for me to capture moving subjects especially at nighttime.

Since the time I've bought an iPhone I have gone to many different places to see how it's camera compares with my other devices.

I'm going to leave out my Nexus 5 because it would blur too many shots on many occassions.

But as far as my 1020 vs iPhone 6 went, the iPhone 6 consistently took better images faster, be it at concerts, taking images of a kid, animals, sports matches and that sort of thing.

In 9/10 situations I would prefer an iPhone for photography over a 1020 which is considered as a "DSLr" alternative.

The reason being my iPhone snaps photos very quickly and has a decent level of detail with it, it also has amazing colors and the flash maintains more natural skin tones than the Xenon on the 1020.

But there are occasions where I prefer my 1020, such as when I need to photograph in landscape and capture a lot of detail, such as when photographing a city from a hill, but how often did I do that? Very rarely.

In more realistic situations my iPhone would just get the job done, while my 1020 would still be processing a shot or may not even have opened the camera yet!

Just as an example, I was in an elevator going up to my apartment yesterday and this kid came in with his adorable Persian cat, I asked the kid if I could take a photograph of it.

The kid was happy that I liked the cat but it was late and he needed to rush home, so I quickly took out both my 1020 and iPhone to take a quick snap. I was left with some a few shots taken with my iPhone of that adorable cat, and by the time my 1020 had opened up the camera and started taking the shot the child had rushed out.

What was I left with?

Around two three 8MP images from which I selected one, damn the autofocus on my iPhone 6 was quick.

But you know what I got with my Lumia 1020? A 38 MP high resolution DSLR quality image of the elevator that the child had already left.

For most of life's moments that I would want to photograph 8MP is enough for the time being, and I also get much better 60 FPS recording with the iPhone and 240 FPS slow-mo.

The 1020 isn't a bad phone and certainly not a bad camera phone, but it definitely isn't the best cameraphone and it is not a DSLR alternative.

Any thoughts from the community here? How many of you have tried an iPhone 6 camera?

I am selling my Nexus 5 and 1020 soon. iPhone Ftw.

Last edited:

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
You're best to get a camera if you want the best shots. That is if you really like photography and know how cameras work. Having said that, I can see you are proud of your new Iphone 6. I ain't mad at cha. Why not simply go and be happy? I have to tell you, if I get an Iphone 6, which I might in the future, I sure as heck won't be back here trying to convince others my phone is better than yours. I'll just go and be happy. After all, its all about me anyway. :)

salmanahmad

Banned
May 12, 2014
Visit site
I agree with a lot of what you've said and it seems that your N5 probably is a defected model.

Mine has a few issues with focus in lowlight, but for the most part it is fast and reliable.

http://imgur.com/a/cpKQZ

But apart from that I do agree with you on a lot of what you've said.

von929Shavone

Mar 26, 2012
Visit site
Can't believe i just wasted moments of my life listening to you complain about the speed of the 1020, LMAO! No side by side comparisons or anything relevant as to why the iPhone is so amazing. Most people are well aware the 1020 has the tendency to be slow, but the end result usually makes up for it. By your logic alone every damn phone on the market beats the 1020 even the Lumia 520 if everything is based on speed alone.

BatteryLife

Dec 12, 2013
Visit site
Apparently, someone doesn't know how to use the exposure time...

Its not the exposure time. Did you even read OP's post?

On-Topic: The speed of Lumia 1020 is really too slow for some. But it all depends on the usage of the camera. Personally, I love shooting pictures of landscapes/buildings or anything really beautiful really. But I never used my camera for shooting photographs of lets say people. So, for me, the camera does not have to quickly take a photo.

However, I would say that Lumia 1020's take on white balance and post processing really ruin photos some times. Of course you could shoot in RAW, but not everybody has the initiative to do that, unless its needed for professional photography. This is not to say iPhone's take on white balance or exposure is perfect, but its so much more consistent. Credit must be given to Apple for creating images that are more pleasing to human eye, though may not accurately save the same picture as the human eye could see.

I personally feel that Nokia (formally) phone division is pretty slow in their progress. They really need to buck up.

amrut_m

Mar 3, 2013
Visit site
iPhone 6 does'nt beat the 1020, but it fulfills what you need. iPhone 6 suits you.

I agree 1020 is slow at startup and shot to shot, but it comes nowhere near 1020's territory.
I can bet you cannot capture these shots with iPhone with atmost no noise.
Physics and Hardware always wins bro.

10665411266_274f1e7e33_z.jpg
13827060385_18513e0b35_z.jpg
14046217665_3e69067943_z.jpg
10956827856_a335221167_z.jpg
14177646380_4c2f6ecc9d_z.jpg
14066443537_728d72d669_z.jpg

the Day I am able to capture these kind of images on iPhone i am sold,
1020 pushes the limit for a camera on a smartphone, gives you that flexibility and the RAW is just a Boon to it.
For and avg person iphone camera mite be good, but for me I will keep the 1020.

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
So basically the ip6 camera seems faster, right? Personally since I dont move at super speed like The Flash or Quicksilver I can take my time to get a shot 99.99% of the time so the superior picture quality of the 1020 is more important to me.

BatteryLife

Dec 12, 2013
Visit site
It's white balance is often much more accurate than Lumia 1020. With such a small sensor, I'm pretty impressed with the photo quality Apple churned out with the iPhones. I'll be excited to see how Apple handles (if any), bigger sensors.

BZR13

Oct 9, 2014
Visit site
Post summary

I want my picture fast, so I don't care if its of a lesser quality.

Great for you, hopefully it is a decision made on something that is important to you, it however does NOT make the iPhone 6 camera "better" than the 1020. It simply validates a personal choice decision of yours.

thesachd

Banned
Sep 30, 2014
Visit site
You're best to get a camera if you want the best shots. That is if you really like photography and know how cameras work. Having said that, I can see you are proud of your new Iphone 6. I ain't mad at cha. Why not simply go and be happy? I have to tell you, if I get an Iphone 6, which I might in the future, I sure as heck won't be back here trying to convince others my phone is better than yours. I'll just go and be happy. After all, its all about me anyway. :)
I don't want people to feel bad about their existing devices, I'm sure there are ways the 1020 is better.

I also don't like cramped viewfinders on P&S, but I am willing to look past that and maybe get a Sony Mark Rx100 soon(if that is what it was called).

But as far as mobile photography goes, or photography in general, speed is a key part. But there are other reasons why I find the iPhone's camera superior.

Can't believe i just wasted moments of my life listening to you complain about the speed of the 1020, LMAO! No side by side comparisons or anything relevant as to why the iPhone is so amazing. Most people are well aware the 1020 has the tendency to be slow, but the end result usually makes up for it. By your logic alone every damn phone on the market beats the 1020 even the Lumia 520 if everything is based on speed alone.

Lol. I've used many Lumias put on display. The 520 or any other Lumia uses the single shot focusing method, apart from the 1520/930. But even when you prefocus an image there is a considerable half a second delay from when your finger presses the shutter and when the image in snapped.

Nothing comes close to the phase detection autofocus on iPhone 6.

I was willing to upload photos but Tapatalk app won't let me. :/

But read the post and tell me if I'm wrong somewhere.

But apart from speed there are other areas where the iPhone excels, that is in color accuracy(IMO), a flash that maintains colors better(no slight yellow tint), filters, etc.

And when you compare the video recording, there is no comparison the iPhone crushes the 1020 with it's 60 FPS 1080p and amazing slow-mo.
Apparently, someone doesn't know how to use the exposure time...
You should know that not everyone is willing to tweak the exposure or shutter speed before taking a shot, but even with all that included the 1020 takes too long to process images. The processing is also hit or miss.

iPhone 6 does'nt beat the 1020, but it fulfills what you need. iPhone 6 suits you.

I agree 1020 is slow at startup and shot to shot, but it comes nowhere near 1020's territory.
I can bet you cannot capture these shots with iPhone with atmost no noise.
Physics and Hardware always wins bro.

View attachment 84057
View attachment 84059
View attachment 84058
View attachment 84060
View attachment 84061
View attachment 84062

the Day I am able to capture these kind of images on iPhone i am sold,
1020 pushes the limit for a camera on a smartphone, gives you that flexibility and the RAW is just a Boon to it.
For and avg person iphone camera mite be good, but for me I will keep the 1020.

Again, there are areas where a 1020 may come out on top. And those are some damn impressive shots. But I'm pretty sure a lot of them we're taken on still subjects.

In the day to day are you more likely to photograph moments that are completely still or extraordinary moments that may dissapear in the blink of an eye?

For example in the first photo you probably cranked up shutter speed to 4s and mounted it on a tripod? But how likely is it that someone does that?

The 1020 can't open as fast, can't focus as fast, can't snap as fast, and the end result of the whole process is very hit or miss.

Maybe for the enthusiasts out there that need a lot of control and have a lot of time they'll be able to take better shots. But for most other people the iPhone 6 will win.

And the iPhone 6 is no slouch in the hardware and physics department. Did you see the Verge's Iceland photoshoot?

And did you see the 60 FPS 1080P, slow-mo and timelapse on iPhone 6?

ragingklu

Jan 21, 2013
Visit site
My wife has the iP6, it takes comparable pics as compared to my 1520. She must be holding it wrong though, because it gets worse signal than her 5S did by a measurable amount. It can be incredibly annoying and she's already considering going back to a 5S.

The 1020 camera is better than both of ours.

salmanahmad

Banned
May 12, 2014
Visit site
So basically the ip6 camera seems faster, right? Personally since I dont move at super speed like The Flash or Quicksilver I can take my time to get a shot 99.99% of the time so the superior picture quality of the 1020 is more important to me.

The 1020's quality isn't always superior. In the tests I've seen the iPhone usually has better colours and the flash is much better. The autofocus too.

Post summary

I want my picture fast, so I don't care if its of a lesser quality.

Great for you, hopefully it is a decision made on something that is important to you, it however does NOT make the iPhone 6 camera "better" than the 1020. It simply validates a personal choice decision of yours.

Quite the contrary, the OP mentions that if you we're supposed to choose between:

? A decently detailed image of a moment that may go any second.

? Or a highly detailed image of a moment that's already gone.

That's what he meant with the elevator example.

RaRa85

Nov 2, 2011
Visit site
Ooh I like this discussion. I've owned the Lumia 1020 which I recently sold to save money for my next device, and I've played with the iPhone 6 as well as read numerous reviews on it. In my time with the iPhone 6 I have found the images to be really pleasing. I'm impressed with the camera speed, accuracy of colors, and sharpness of its images. Apple has the best auto algorithm settings found in any device. I will give them that. But on the overall, the iPhone 6 is nowhere near the quality of the Lumia 1020. But I will point out that as far as processing goes,Nokia has not done the best job with color accuracy in auto mode. To get the best pictures out of the 1020 you really do have to go manual on many occasions. Color issue aside along with slow shot to shot times, the 1020 is untouchable except maybe to the 808 Pureview. But you will get the best images with the 1020 (especially if you shoot in 38mp+5mp mode which gives you superior reframing/crop abilities) that have to be slightly color corrected in post processing. With the iPhone 6 you will get really great pictures quickly and consistently. It really depends on the user and what they're willing to sacrifice when it comes to these two phones:speed with great quality or the absolute best quality. Both camera units are respectable in their own rights.

Jaripi

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
The 1020's quality isn't always superior. In the tests I've seen the iPhone usually has better colours and the flash is much better. The autofocus too.

LED flash (iPhone 6) is not better than Xenon flash (Lumia 1020), sorry - only Xenon flash can caputere any movements well ....

amrut_m

Mar 3, 2013
Visit site
In the day to day are you more likely to photograph moments that are completely still or extraordinary moments that may dissapear in the blink of an eye?

For example in the first photo you probably cranked up shutter speed to 4s and mounted it on a tripod? But how likely is it that someone does that?

The 1020 can't open as fast, can't focus as fast, can't snap as fast, and the end result of the whole process is very hit or miss.

Maybe for the enthusiasts out there that need a lot of control and have a lot of time they'll be able to take better shots. But for most other people the iPhone 6 will win.

And the iPhone 6 is no slouch in the hardware and physics department. Did you see the Verge's Iceland photoshoot?

And did you see the 60 FPS 1080P, slow-mo and timelapse on iPhone 6?

if anything to be believed is that the verge is an apple site, extremely biased, even say phonearena. They never included lumia's in their shootouts.
The photos on iceland, did you see the noise on those pics ?
I bet even the 1520 would have done a better job.
1020 has drawbacks, 1020 is based on the 2 yr old processor. But the image quality and the camera algorithms are light years ahead.
Everyone knows 1020 is slow in start up, also the post processing time depending how you shoot. Thats it the DRAWBACKS end right their.

Still how can one straight say iphone 6 beats 1020,
iphone works better for you, 1020 works better for me Simple Logic, you cannot come to a conclusion using just shot times and speed.
I also have some shots which i have taken very quickly just watching something, its just takes max 3 secs, I dont think the subject will vanish in that span.

primuxprimux

Apr 8, 2014
Visit site
wait wait denim is coming soon , that make Lumia camera 📷 so faster ,, so after denim update do your comparison ,, Microsoft is little slow at past time n but now it showing it's amazing faster OS development ,,, so compare with a awesome OS ,,, and 8mp picture size = near 2mb ,,, and 41mp picture size he he it's your answer bro

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
quicktravo