Thinking of leaving Windows Phone for good, any thoughts?

Status
Not open for further replies.

aldofarias82

Jul 13, 2012
Visit site
Don't get me wrong, I love WP and doing it since 7.0,
I started with a 710, then a 720 and my last phone is the great 1020.

I even made my wife, brother, fathers in law switch to Windows Phone.

My one year old 1020 feels sort of outdated so when I start to wonder about its replacement I feel kind of disappointed of the whole picture of WP
I don't think Microsoft is fully committed to make things better and that is frustrating. Nokia did a better job and now its being torn apart.

I think I will go back to iOS, I had a "boring" iPhone and now it seems like a better and more mature choice to make.

I invested lots of time waiting for lots of things in Windows phone and many were good and encouraging but I think I had it.
Does anyone feel the same? Any thoughts?

I don't want to be seen as a deserter but as most of you I love gadgets and WP has always been good but always far behind of the competition. I just want the best I can get

Nicholas Maguire

May 28, 2014
Visit site
If you want to switch, nobody can stop you.
However, I will stay. I feel like something really great is going to happen with the release of Windows 10. The Universal apps are going to move forward and as long as Windows 10 is a success on desktop (which it looks like it will be), I have belief that it'll encourage developers to create Universal apps that will work on phone also. Hopefully, Windows on phone will gain traction.

And about your comment about Microsoft and Nokia, the phones that came out recently are still from Nokia, that hasn't anything to do with Microsoft. We'll start seeing Microsoft's phones soon, hopefully.

aldofarias82

Jul 13, 2012
Visit site
I must say I'm not 100% of leaving, I am just thinking about it seriously for the first time. Yes developers hate us. That's one of my complains or the burdens we must carry

ramyZgHR

Oct 1, 2013
Visit site
I have to admit I have some similar toughts. My first WP was 8x, then 925 and now 930. It seems to me MS is going too slow for catching up competition. I mean, whats the point of having beast like 930 if there is nothing to play on in?!? I don't think just games, but it would be nice to have something to choose from. Other thing... Instead they're trying to push updates as often they can, they should concentrate to bring some major improvements in those updates! I don't know... Bright side for me is that all 3 major OS-es are in some kind of stage where nothing major is happening. MS should use that situation to gain some profit from that situation instead of thinking new names for Bing, Nokia etc... :)
I guess I'll give them a chance till W10 come to phones. After that I'll decide should I stay or should I go. :)

aldofarias82

Jul 13, 2012
Visit site
Absolutely, i think we gained some momentum with 8.1 but things got real slow again. Will there be a Nokia World this year or its also dead?

I hope Windows 10 (its app side) appeals to the people but thats a long shot. My laptop has W 8.1 and i never use any apps, i use it like its my old reliable Win7 as most people do and thats a shame

P_1

Jul 9, 2014
Visit site
Seriously guys I feel the same. After being such a wonderful OS windows phone lacks the ecosystem which is more important to make any OS successful. There are no regular updates for apps nor popular any new apps are coming to WP. Imagine WhatsApp has not received any update since June and there are many other apps whose fate is the same. However I will stick to windows till WP 10 comes out then I will decide for further action. Hopefully things will improve until then.

Keith Brooks

Jun 11, 2014
Visit site
Microsoft is screwing up big time. Now since purchasing Nokia's Mobile division, every device they've released is for the low-end consumer. Where are the new & improved mid to high-end smartphones ?They're even screwing up on the low end. The Lumia 530 is worse than the 520 and 521. It only has 4GB onboard storage and the screen is alot worse looking.From what I've seen in Windows 10 TP is the Start Menu. I've had a Start menu in Windows 8 & 8.1 courtesy of Start8. I so far see no reason to upgrade either of my pc's to Windows 10. It still has Windows 7's Windows Media Player 12. Woo, it runs everything on the desktop. ModernMix does that on my pc's now. Granted 10 is still a beta, but I'm not holding my breath on any real, so called improvement's.

murix

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
The only constant is change.

I'd actually recommend trying a new iPhone. At a minimum you usually have a couple weeks to return a phone giving you a chance to decide and see how you feel. If you don't like it, you can always go back to the 1020. You could even try out android again too. We're talking small disposable devices with planned obsolescence produced by global corporations here.

As for the phone itself, what is lacking for you? Performance? Screen size? Camera? Or is it busy having something shiny and new?

Also, the reason for low cost devices is smart from a business perspective. Personally I wish wet had more high end devices, but the low end is a huge market which we all benefit from. Market share means developer support and most of the world doesn't enjoy the subsidies on high end devices like north America. The 520 is still the best selling windows phone.

murix

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
Also, don't get lost in specs. The 1020 is still the best camera and very fast with windows phone. 1080p isn't that much better. And the camera is still the best on the market. I find only two drawbacks. Camera speed and screen size. My dissapointment is with Nokia exclusives on Verizon with the 930, not with Microsoft. Next year is going to be interesting.

Waylon Payne

Oct 12, 2014
Visit site
Microsoft is screwing up big time. Now since purchasing Nokia's Mobile division, every device they've released is for the low-end consumer. Where are the new & improved mid to high-end smartphones ?They're even screwing up on the low end. The Lumia 530 is worse than the 520 and 521. It only has 4GB onboard storage and the screen is alot worse looking.From what I've seen in Windows 10 TP is the Start Menu. I've had a Start menu in Windows 8 & 8.1 courtesy of Start8. I so far see no reason to upgrade either of my pc's to Windows 10. It still has Windows 7's Windows Media Player 12. Woo, it runs everything on the desktop. ModernMix does that on my pc's now. Granted 10 is still a beta, but I'm not holding my breath on any real, so called improvement's.

I think the proliferation of lower end phones is due to the increased sales in markets where low end devices do well. I'm quite happy with my 930, yeah they could release a new phone with a snapdragon 805 but it wouldn't really make any difference from a usability point of view.

They just need a followup to the 1020 and I'm sure that it will come. I think things have likely stagnated with the whole Nokia takeover, I'm sure that there are a lot of operational logistics involved with the takeover that we are unaware of.

I personally think that they should be pushing forward on windows phone development, in order to gain feature parity with the other mobile OS's (and after that surpass them).

If you look at the iPhone 6, its not revolutionary compared to the 5s (apart from a larger screen), momentum now is gained through software advances.

Visa Declined

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site
I think the proliferation of lower end phones is due to the increased sales in markets where low end devices do well. I'm quite happy with my 930, yeah they could release a new phone with a snapdragon 805 but it wouldn't really make any difference from a usability point of viewI

The Snapdragon 805 has an image signal processor that now supports 55 megapixel cameras. Qualcomm says "it will have the world’s first mobile 1GPixel/s (Giga-pixel per second) ISP helping users take higher resolution photos with advanced post-processing for improved low-light performance. Phones can fiddle with their camera's output more without slowing down shooting."

They've also increased the clock speed of the image signal processor in the 805, which "improves the post processing capabilities and increases actual camera imaging support. Consumers can expect to see improvements in the camera and that’s about a 45 per cent increase in the ISP performance. And that’s a dual ISP so you are able to use those ISP for multiple tasks.”

We all know that the camera speed needs to be improved on our phones, and the Snapdragon 805 is going to be a tremendous help in that regard.

Ed Boland

Retired Ambassador
Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
What's wrong with having both? Or even all three platforms? I've been thinking about getting the new iPhone 6 plus myself, but also keeping my 1520! I was originally an iPhone user all the way up to the 4S, then switched to WP with the 920, the 1020, and now a 1520. Nobody ever made us sign a contract to stay committed to any one platform for our personal phones. So buy what you want!

I love my 1520! But I'll also buy an iPhone 6 plus.. maybe even pick up a Note 4. And by the time Windows 10 comes out, maybe they'll have a new flagship phone from Microsoft that I'll just have to have! Or maybe not...

We're all just consumers and can purchase anything we like. I wouldn't buy a sports car and complain that I can't take it off road in the mud, or be able to move furniture with it. No, I'd buy a 4-wheel drive pick-up truck for that. So what's wrong with having a sports car AND a 4-wheel drive pick-up truck in my driveway?

Poirots Progeny

Dec 22, 2013
Visit site
What's wrong with having both? Or even all three platforms? I've been thinking about getting the new iPhone 6 plus myself, but also keeping my 1520! I was originally an iPhone user all the way up to the 4S, then switched to WP with the 920, the 1020, and now a 1520. Nobody ever made us sign a contract to stay committed to any one platform for our personal phones. So buy what you want!

I love my 1520! But I'll also buy an iPhone 6 plus.. maybe even pick up a Note 4. And by the time Windows 10 comes out, maybe they'll have a new flagship phone from Microsoft that I'll just have to have! Or maybe not...

We're all just consumers and can purchase anything we like. I wouldn't buy a sports car and complain that I can't take it off road in the mud, or be able to move furniture with it. No, I'd buy a 4-wheel drive pick-up truck for that. So what's wrong with having a sports car AND a 4-wheel drive pick-up truck in my driveway?

Wholeheartedly agree with this sentiment.
We're all consumers and should buy what we like and what works for us. This is mobile nations. The notion that you should stick to one manufacturer or something, like a tribal allegiance is so - I don't know what word to use. Childish? Sycophantic?

Anyway.

I've got devices from ALL oems. I currently carry a 1520, galaxy s5 and an iphone 5s - and am on a queue for the blackberry passport. All with individual lines, for different businesses.

If one can afford to indulge in this hobby then why not. All the competing ecosystems offer different things. Some will not meet all ones requirements. Buy what works for you. And make up your own mind. The things you buy do not define you. Well the shouldn't, anyway ;)

gapost

Dec 1, 2004
Visit site
Man, I feel kind of the same way. Had a Windows phone since the HTC Trophy on Verizon and most of the WP's on Verizon, including the Icon and HTC One. Since I handle the business phones for my business, a lot of my business users have had WP's, lol. My wife has one. But... the way things are going, especially with Verizon (stuck with them for business), I'm taking a look at Android. I really don't like Apple, and really don't like Android either, but WP users are pretty much second-class users. I love the OS and all the potential it has, but MS and the carriers are contributing to it's failure. I don't know what the answer is because to get more attention, we need more users, and to get more users, we need more attention. I have a Droid Maxx coming this week and I will try that for a while.

aldofarias82

Jul 13, 2012
Visit site
The only constant is change.

I'd actually recommend trying a new iPhone. At a minimum you usually have a couple weeks to return a phone giving you a chance to decide and see how you feel. If you don't like it, you can always go back to the 1020. You could even try out android again too. We're talking small disposable devices with planned obsolescence produced by global corporations here.

As for the phone itself, what is lacking for you? Performance? Screen size? Camera? Or is it busy having something shiny and new?

Also, the reason for low cost devices is smart from a business perspective. Personally I wish wet had more high end devices, but the low end is a huge market which we all benefit from. Market share means developer support and most of the world doesn't enjoy the subsidies on high end devices like north America. The 520 is still the best selling windows phone.

I have 2 mayor complains about the 1020 and a couple of small ones:

Big ones:
1.- Batery life is the worst I've seen in any smartphone, I disabled lots of things like location services (goodbye Cortana), double tap to wake, apps running in the background, you name it everything. I don't even play any games now. I need my phone all day and that's a chore on the 1020.

2.- THE CAMERA Yes, its still the king in many ways but its just too slow, I've lost so many great moments in between pictures waiting for the 1020 to be ready again.
It makes my phone hot as hell.
It can't focus anything closer than 1 feet, come on!
I also own a DSLR so i understood something: Phones are phones and cameras are cameras. I need my phone camera to be fast and help me get great spontaneous great moments. For everything else i am covered.

Small ones:
1.- RESUMING is really annoying
2.-Lack of cases, add-ons, etc (not 1020s exclusive problem i know, but i drool at all the options available for iPhone owners

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3