Why Android 5.0 isn't as big of a deal as you think

Status
Not open for further replies.

thesachd

Banned
Sep 30, 2014
Visit site
Android 5.0's camera capabilities are hardware dependent. The API is totally useless to those of us with phones from manufacturers who chose not to support it.

You want an example...? Moto X, Moto E, Moto G, Moto G 4G, Moto X 2nd Gen, Moto G 2nd Gen... You get the picture. And this from a company that was owned by Google.

----------

I think it fair to say that some people will be pi55ing in the air in delight when their phones are updated to Android L, and other will be meh.

Me? I'm happy with my Lumia 735. It does what I want without having to meddle with the underlying system.

We'll the Android Lollipop camera capabilities much like it's native screen recording features don't need to be supported by manufacturers for them to work.

Not all Windows Phone manufacturers support manual camera controls in their apps either, like HTC or Samsung. But you always have apps like ProShot to rely on.

Android will soon see some pro camera apps as we'll, there is currently one but it's limited to the Nexus 5 and it's in BETA stages. Works fine most times though, even support 60 FPS video and manual focus during video.

Lots of people are happy with what their Android phone can do as we'll, but more functionality is always appreciated and not really ever mandatory.

BTW Android 5.0 also supports screen recording which is something I realised a while back, extremely useful.

Wam1q

Apr 23, 2014
Visit site
BTW Android 5.0 also supports screen recording which is something I realised a while back, extremely useful.

WP supports screen recording, too. It just needs a PC. And why would someone want to record the screen from the phone? It'll tax the processor a lot and drain the battery. Better have a PC (any of those cheapo Windows tablets will work) do all the heavy work of encoding the video while your phone only does what you want it to be doing/demonstrating.

Wam1q

Apr 23, 2014
Visit site

thesachd

Banned
Sep 30, 2014
Visit site
WP supports screen recording, too. It just needs a PC. And why would someone want to record the screen from the phone? It'll tax the processor a lot and drain the battery. Better have a PC (any of those cheapo Windows tablets will work) do all the heavy work of encoding the video while your phone only does what you want it to be doing/demonstrating.

Yes I know any feature that Android has you will try to discredit as much as possible.

And to the best of my knowledge Windows Phone doesn't support screen recording, it supports screen projection. You need a PC, you need to get the Project my Screen app working (people have tons of issues with it), then you'll need to find a quality screen recorder that possibly doesn't watermark your footage. And then recording audio is a totally different affair. What if you also want to show your face while the recording is being done?

Those are a lot of steps you'll have to do just to get your desired results, but on Android it's as easy as this:

Android 5.0 Lollipop - Screen Recording - No Root: http://youtu.be/1GNRZzf9v7g

Also on Android you can select the bitrate and resolution of the video so that the video runs smoothly, and it's not like you'll always be running the app that it'll drain huge chunks of your battery.

Lastly I also find screen recording extremely useful to send a video of a bug in an app or game, or to maybe help out a friend with an Android device and sending the video through WhatsApp.

Still think screen recording isn't useful on phones? Think again.

thesachd

Banned
Sep 30, 2014
Visit site
If MS wants, they could grant Skype deeper access to the OS and removing restrictions that may allow Modern Skype apps on Windows platforms to get this functionality, too (like the desktop Skype app). Not an impossibly, but not an extremely wanted feature, either.

While this is indeed a possibility, what makes it more unlikely is the fact that Microsoft generally doesn't go the extra mile just to make their app on Windows Phone better.

Their preference is often, not always, but *OFTEN* given to iOS and Android.

Whatever your thoughts on this may be, it may not have been an extremely wanted feature but it was a wanted feature nonetheless.

Wam1q

Apr 23, 2014
Visit site
Yes I know any feature that Android has you will try to discredit as much as possible.
And to the best of my knowledge Windows Phone doesn't support screen recording, it supports screen projection. You need a PC, you need to get the Project my Screen app working (people have tons of issues with it), then you'll need to find a quality screen recorder that possibly doesn't watermark your footage. And then recording audio is a totally different affair. What if you also want to show your face while the recording is being done?
Those are a lot of steps you'll have to do just to get your desired results, but on Android it's as easy as this:
Android 5.0 Lollipop - Screen Recording - No Root: http://youtu.be/1GNRZzf9v7g
Also on Android you can select the bitrate and resolution of the video so that the video runs smoothly, and it's not like you'll always be running the app that it'll drain huge chunks of your battery.
Lastly I also find screen recording extremely useful to send a video of a bug in an app or game, or to maybe help out a friend with an Android device and sending the video through WhatsApp.
Still think screen recording isn't useful on phones? Think again.

I'm NOT discrediting Android. This little open-source program records the WP screen on a PC: http://wmpoweruser.com/new-open-sou...provides-free-windows-phone-screen-recording/

Regarding audio, I think you can just use the audio out jack on the phone and plug it in to a mic jack of a PC (using a male connector on both sides of the cable) and record it from your PC (a simple recording app would do)... Or simply record the audio from the phone itself. Then there are plenty of apps that could add your audio to your silent video. Not hassle-free, but not that very difficult either.

The scenarios you present are pretty rare ones. And once when I had to capture both the audio and the video from my phone, I used my PC and was fine with it.

And BTW for helping someone out, here's what I do: I get that person on Skype, project my screen from my phone to my PC, start screen sharing from the desktop Skype app and then make the WP screen projection window go full screen on my PC. That person could hear me and my phone and see my screen in real-time, along with my face, too. Better than recording and sending separately. All without eating my phone's resources (that's my PC streaming my phone's screen) or using recording equipment.

It's not that useful as you want it to look like. If you're doing that, you're a power user already and for that once-in-a-blue-moon occurrence, you can easily do that with a PC in a much better way.

Last edited:

thesachd

Banned
Sep 30, 2014
Visit site
I'm NOT discrediting Android. This little open-source program records the WP screen on a PC: http://wmpoweruser.com/new-open-sou...provides-free-windows-phone-screen-recording/

Regarding audio, I think you can just use the audio out jack on the phone and plug it in to a mic jack of a PC (using a male connector on both sides of the cable) and record it from your PC (a simple recording app would do)... Or simply record the audio from the phone itself. Then there are plenty of apps that could add your audio to your silent video. Not hassle-free, but not that very difficult either.

The scenarios you present are pretty rare ones. And once when I had to capture both the audio and the video from my phone, I used my PC and was fine with it.

And BTW for helping someone out, here's what I do: I get that person on Skype, project my screen from my phone to my PC, start screen sharing from the desktop Skype app and then make the WP screen projection window go full screen on my PC. That person could hear me and my phone and see my screen in real-time, along with my face, too. Better than recording and sending separately. All without eating my phone's resources (that's my PC streaming my phone's screen) or using recording equipment.

It's not that useful as you want it to look like. If you're doing that, you're a power user already and for that once-in-a-blue-moon occurrence, you can easily do that with a PC in a much better way.

That's a whole lot of work and extremely frustrating, considering you'll need a PC at all times.

Plus aided by the help of a PC, the possibilities are endless. Especially in the case of Android.

It's what the phone can do on it's own that really separates it. And in all honestly if I we're forced to use a mobile OS on my PC, Windows Phone would probably be at the end of my list with Android and iOS on top.

You can essentially tell me all the solutions and workarounds to carry out simple tasks(for Android) on Windows Phone, in the end they'll never be as user friendly and usually much more frustrating.

Wam1q

Apr 23, 2014
Visit site
That's a whole lot of work and extremely frustrating, considering you'll need a PC at all times.

Plus aided by the help of a PC, the possibilities are endless. Especially in the case of Android.

It's what the phone can do on it's own that really separates it. And in all honestly if I we're forced to use a mobile OS on my PC, Windows Phone would probably be at the end of my list with Android and iOS on top.

You can essentially tell me all the solutions and workarounds to carry out simple tasks(for Android) on Windows Phone, in the end they'll never be as user friendly and usually much more frustrating.

That work is not done at all times. Recording the outputs from a phone is advanced work and you most likely have a PC with you when you do that.

iOS is not geared towards productivity at all. Don't get me started on the extreme silly restrictions it has. Regarding Android as a desktop OS, my answer is a no. Hell, even a jailbroken Windows RT tablet is better than a rooted Android or jalibroken iOS device. And since hackers are trying their best to get homebrew/advanced stuff done with WP (and they are getting successful), a jailbroken WP could be used as a desktop OS, too (not as functional as stock Android, though--but still).

I repeat, this is advanced stuff and not an everyday task. For helping somebody out, Skype on a PC is still better. For all other proposes, it is possible to do with a PC if you have to do it. Not a huge advantage to Android, here.

thesachd

Banned
Sep 30, 2014
Visit site
That work is not done at all times. Recording the outputs from a phone is advanced work and you most likely have a PC with you when you do that.

iOS is not geared towards productivity at all. Don't get me started on the extreme silly restrictions it has. Regarding Android as a desktop OS, my answer is a no. Hell, even a jailbroken Windows RT tablet is better than a rooted Android or jalibroken iOS device. And since hackers are trying their best to get homebrew/advanced stuff done with WP (and they are getting successful), a jailbroken WP could be used as a desktop OS, too (not as functional as stock Android, though--but still).

I repeat, this is advanced stuff and not an everyday task. For helping somebody out, Skype on a PC is still better. For all other proposes, it is possible to do with a PC if you have to do it. Not a huge advantage to Android, here.

Okay...listen. Here are two cases where I have found screen recording extremely useful:

- Facebook has a new inline video player on Android which means I can't download the videos onto my Android device directly from there. I screen record funny videos and send them over to friends, especially awesome is the fact is that the audio remains intact.

- If someone wants to know how to change their default keyboard, or some other menial work, I no longer have to tell them to read lengthy articles, I can simply guide them via a small video.

In most cases people wouldn't whip out their PCs to do simple work.

Again you can deny the usefulness of any feature that Android has and then later go crazy when the feature arrives on Windows Phone, like what happened with the notification centre.

Wam1q

Apr 23, 2014
Visit site
Okay...listen. Here are two cases where I have found screen recording extremely useful:

- Facebook has a new inline video player on Android which means I can't download the videos onto my Android device directly from there. I screen record funny videos and send them over to friends, especially awesome is the fact is that the audio remains intact.

- If someone wants to know how to change their default keyboard, or some other menial work, I no longer have to tell them to read lengthy articles, I can simply guide them via a small video.

In most cases people wouldn't whip out their PCs to do simple work.

Again you can deny the usefulness of any feature that Android has and then later go crazy when the feature arrives on Windows Phone, like what happened with the notification centre.

Well, here's my argument:

1. On WP, when playing Facebook videos
61fa9b433c5ae33fb564a7cce30b965f.png
through IE, I get an option to 'open' them or 'save' them:
b8cc18abd50798b749aa95dd325ffb58.png
Tapping on 'open' opens a full-screen streaming video player. Tapping on 'save' will download the .mp4 file to my Videos folder. More convenient than what you say you do on Android...

2. And helping someone out can be also done equally good using a short self-made tutorial along with screenshots. Or if you have a PC, then nothing beats the convenience/ease of Skype.

thesachd

Banned
Sep 30, 2014
Visit site
Well, here's my argument:

1. On WP, when playing Facebook videos http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/14/11/26/61fa9b433c5ae33fb564a7cce30b965f.png through IE, I get an option to 'open' them or 'save' them: http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/14/11/26/b8cc18abd50798b749aa95dd325ffb58.png Tapping on 'open' opens a full-screen streaming video player. Tapping on 'save' will download the .mp4 file to my Videos folder. More convenient than what you say you do on Android...

2. And helping someone out can be also done equally good using a short self-made tutorial along with screenshots. Or if you have a PC, then nothing beats the convenience/ease of Skype.

To that I would say, that in most cases Android's functionality is second to none and your solution in part 1 is something even Android can do:

1417019355360.jpg

I know that you can always use the browser to download a video, but that in itself is a hassle, and quite a big one with all the logging in and searching a specific video.

Sometimes I often see a friend liking a post of some page from a few months back, and searching it in the browser to download is a pain, screen recording makes it much easier.

In part 2, no screenshots aren't as effective and are definitely more time consuming, often much much longer than a simple screen record from a phone will be and no, many people will not whip out their PCs simple help in anything.

Ease of use is something Windows Phone users used to brag about to Android users, the tables sure have turned.

broar94

Apr 10, 2013
Visit site
Android is anyday more effective and has more functionalities than WP(can only dream of). Can you share multiple photos to Whatsapp from Gallery? Cant do :p, you'd have to go the app and open photo picker to do that. As someone said in this thread, there's endless possibilities with Android. :)

thesachd

Banned
Sep 30, 2014
Visit site
Android is anyday more effective and has more functionalities than WP(can only dream of). Can you share multiple photos to Whatsapp from Gallery? Cant do :p, you'd have to go the app and open photo picker to do that. As someone said in this thread, there's endless possibilities with Android. :)

Oh trust me, your example of WhatsApp is just merely a fraction of what Android, and it's better applications can do.

To the best of my knowledge if a video is too big to send, Windows Phone just gives you a warning message and doesn't let you send it.

The Android WhatsApp allows for the video to be cropped before being sent, if it is too large:

1417091780456.jpg

Also you can't send audio with iOS or Windows Phone, like you can with Android:

1417091825000.jpg

broar94

Apr 10, 2013
Visit site
YYes I know bro :) . I had Android before I switched to WP. But Im fine with all the limitations of WP and dont care if it doesnt let me do one thing or the other. It's not like it's the end of the world IMO. But for many people it can get very irritating. I dont recommend WP to anyone except to some old people :)

etad putta

Oct 1, 2013
Visit site
YYes I know bro :) . I had Android before I switched to WP. But Im fine with all the limitations of WP and dont care if it doesnt let me do one thing or the other. It's not like it's the end of the world IMO. But for many people it can get very irritating. I don't recommend WP to anyone except to some old people :)
That's funny, i don't recommend android to my elderly friends or family. It's more of a young, foolish person operating system. For those of us that like to carry the load and get things done obviously Windows and Apple are the way to go.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb