Why Android 5.0 isn't as big of a deal as you think

Status
Not open for further replies.

Elitis

Oct 27, 2013
Visit site
With the coming release of Android 5.0 (Lollipop), I've noticed a lot more threads about Android vs the competition lately. Android 5.0 is, by far, one of the most interesting versions of Android. There's definitely a lot to love about it. But, after reading some of the recent threads, there's a lot that the Fandroids have wrong about it. For instance:

Project Volta: Android will never compare in battery life to iOS and Windows Phone. Period. Project Volta may be the best battery saver ever. Android 5.0 may be the most efficient version of Android ever. Android still won't compare to the competition when it comes to battery life, simply because of how the OS works. WP and iOS minimize the amount of background tasks. Neither OS allows apps to (fully) run in the background. Android does. This has it's own benefit, of course. Apps don't need to resume, seeing as how they were never stopped. But, it drains battery life.

User Profiles/Screen Pinning: User Profiles is a cool feature, but who shares their phone? The most beneficial part of this is the Guest profile, but this is comparable to Window Phone's Kid's Corner/App Corner, as is the entire point of screen pinning.

Security: Android, by far, has always had the worst security when it comes to mobile OS. Windows Phone and iOS have always surpassed it. I have yet to see a virus on iOS or Windows Phone. On Android, there are a lot. So many, in fact, that it is actually recommended to install anti-virus apps. With the upcoming release of Android 5.0, you get out of the box "full" encryption. And yet, security on Android still won't improve much. The encryption does not encrypt any data on an SD card, for one. A lot of apps tend to save data on SD cards, so that's not much help. Second, encryption is only on by default if the phone itself came with Android 5.0. If you upgraded from, say, KitKat (or any older version of Android), encryption is not turned on by default, due to the amount of time it would take to encryption all of the data currently on the phone. How many consumers do you honestly believe will manually turn on encryption? Not many.

Android 5.0 is the only version of Android that has ever interested me. I've always been a Windows Phone user, and will stay one for a while. I can't wait to get my hands on an Android 5.0 flagship next year (Snapdragon 810/ 4GB+ RAM, anyone?). That said, it amazes me how many threads about Android L mention things like the above, when those really aren't anything to get excited about. Even more amazing is how Google and the media have made Android L seem like a Godsend.

Darthbobcat

Mar 26, 2013
Visit site
User Profiles/Screen Pinning: User Profiles is a cool feature, but who shares their phone? The most beneficial part of this is the Guest profile, but this is comparable to Window Phone's Kid's Corner/App Corner, as is the entire point of screen pinning.

I'd expect this to be a feature more intended for Android tablets running Android 5.0. Making it easier to share a family tablet is a cool idea.

TechAbstract

Apr 20, 2012
Visit site
Android still won't compare to the competition when it comes to battery life, simply because of how the OS works. WP and iOS minimize the amount of background tasks. Neither OS allows apps to (fully) run in the background. Android does. This has it's own benefit, of course. Apps don't need to resume, seeing as how they were never stopped. But, it drains battery life.

This is why you have to be careful with what apps you install on Android that always start up automatically in the background.

Darthbobcat

Mar 26, 2013
Visit site
IDK about RT (I'd assume it does), but the Surface Pro can have multiple users.

It sure does. I'm not sure if any Android tablet aside from the Nook HD did, but if I assume that Nook and Windows 8/RT had the idea first...

"Welcome to 2012, Google!"

If I'm wrong and that burn is inaccurate, then so be it.

mpl175

Aug 10, 2014
Visit site
With the coming release of Android 5.0 (Lollipop), I've noticed a lot more threads about Android vs the competition lately. Android 5.0 is, by far, one of the most interesting versions of Android. There's definitely a lot to love about it. But, after reading some of the recent threads, there's a lot that the Fandroids have wrong about it. For instance:

Project Volta: Android will never compare in battery life to iOS and Windows Phone. Period. Project Volta may be the best battery saver ever. Android 5.0 may be the most efficient version of Android ever. Android still won't compare to the competition when it comes to battery life, simply because of how the OS works. WP and iOS minimize the amount of background tasks. Neither OS allows apps to (fully) run in the background. Android does. This has it's own benefit, of course. Apps don't need to resume, seeing as how they were never stopped. But, it drains battery life.

Security: Android, by far, has always had the worst security when it comes to mobile OS. Windows Phone and iOS have always surpassed it. I have yet to see a virus on iOS or Windows Phone. On Android, there are a lot. So many, in fact, that it is actually recommended to install anti-virus apps. With the upcoming release of Android 5.0, you get out of the box "full" encryption. And yet, security on Android still won't improve much. The encryption does not encrypt any data on an SD card, for one. A lot of apps tend to save data on SD cards, so that's not much help. Second, encryption is only on by default if the phone itself came with Android 5.0. If you upgraded from, say, KitKat (or any older version of Android), encryption is not turned on by default, due to the amount of time it would take to encryption all of the data currently on the phone. How many consumers do you honestly believe will manually turn on encryption? Not many.

Android 5.0 is the only version of Android that has ever interested me. I've always been a Windows Phone user, and will stay one for a while. I can't wait to get my hands on an Android 5.0 flagship next year (Snapdragon 810/ 4GB+ RAM, anyone?). That said, it amazes me how many threads about Android L mention things like the above, when those really aren't anything to get excited about. Even more amazing is how Google and the media have made Android L seem like a Godsend.
As both a Wp user and android user I like both os's. I've been using android for two years now and I've NEVER had a virus. I'm not sure where your get in your info but,android does not have virus problems. Just saying. WP is more secure but I'm never worried about android.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
I've been using android for two years now and I've NEVER had a virus.

Just because you haven't doesn't mean nobody has. The most important factor is where you live. If you're in the U.S. or western Europe and use nothing but the google play store, you are very safe. If you live in eastern Europe, Russia or Asia, you're quite the opposite.
In Russia alone, over a million security breaches are registered each year, perpetrated mostly by criminal organizations looking for a quick buck.
This is one of few articles that explains it well:
http://www.forbes.com/sites/gordonk...n-android-this-is-the-easy-way-you-stay-safe/

mpl175

Aug 10, 2014
Visit site
How do you know you never had a virus? Did you run 10 different antivirus apps? :cool:
Yes I'm in the u.s. And I'm aware of all the hackers in different parts of the world. These ppl are obviously very good at hacking and if they want to get your info im sure they can regardless of what os your using. I mean seriously pc's are notorious for being hacked so windows is not immune to being attacked.

Soulstream

Apr 9, 2014
Visit site
I think this is the biggest update to Android from ICS to JB. I think we can all admit that Android was always feature-packed and the king of customization.

If google really wanted a more secure OS they could disable the "install APK's other than Google Play" option, but that is not the philosophy of Android.

I agree that Android L is not a "godsend" because I don't think Android really needed it in term of features EXCEPT for the lock-screen notifications being native now..

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
Yes I'm in the u.s. And I'm aware of all the hackers in different parts of the world. These ppl are obviously very good at hacking and if they want to get your info im sure they can regardless of what os your using. I mean seriously pc's are notorious for being hacked so windows is not immune to being attacked.

At least in terms of security, Windows Phone is Windows in name only. Security researchers everywhere consider WP the most secure consumer OS ever built. MS' experience with security on Windows went a long way to making WP secure.

You are wrong in your assumptions, though I'll obviously grant you that no system is 100% secure. Still, completely ignoring the differences doesn't make sense either.

mpl175

Aug 10, 2014
Visit site
At least in terms of security, Windows Phone is Windows in name only. Security researchers everywhere consider WP the most secure consumer OS ever built. MS' experience with security on Windows went a long way to making WP secure.

You are wrong in your assumptions, though I'll obviously grant you that no system is 100% secure. Still, completely ignoring the differences doesn't make sense either.
I understand WP is more secure than android. I'm just saying that as a user of android I never feel afraid or worried about viruses. I'd also like to say that I do prefer WP to android. You have some valid points but at the same time,I think some ppl tend to make the whole android virus thing more of a problem than it actually is.

VetDuarte

May 4, 2014
Visit site
I have both the 1020 and the S5, and I'm using the Lumia becouse I like the camera and the feel of the OS and the hardware.
This said:
- Android virus are a fiction. If you don't install outside of the store, you won't have them. It's the same with iOS and WP, so what's the problem? Are you going to argue that inside is safe, outside is not? So, move on and don't embarass yourself with this virus nonsense;

- The 1020 has a 2000mAh battery, against a 2800mAh battery inside the S5. Using the Lumia sparingly, carefully closing all background apps once I'm done, it's generally low at sunset. Once it died at night while I was still working, even though I shut down almost everything, including BT and WiFi, dimmed the screen etc. The S5, using everything, everything on, lots of screen on time, never closing anything, by 10 at night will have more than 50% left.
So, I HIGHLY DISAGREE with your take on battery life/consumption. A 800mAh difference shouldn't give this much battery difference, specially when so much care is given to the 1020 and none to the S5.
Enviado via Lumia 1020

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
I understand WP is more secure than android. I'm just saying that as a user of android I never feel afraid or worried about viruses. I'd also like to say that I do prefer WP to android. You have some valid points but at the same time,I think some ppl tend to make the whole android virus thing more of a problem than it actually is.

I get what you are saying, and for people living in India, the U.S. and western Europe (and a few other laces) I agree.

It's just all to easy to forget that the majority of the world's population lives elsewhere, and in many of those places, where people use different apps and are hooked up to different app stores, our own personal experiences mean squat.

chezm

Apr 9, 2013
Visit site
As both a Wp user and android user I like both os's. I've been using android for two years now and I've NEVER had a virus. I'm not sure where your get in your info but,android does not have virus problems. Just saying. WP is more secure but I'm never worried about android.

This. In addition, this post is a lot of opinions and not facts.

"Project Volta: Android will never compare in battery life to iOS and Windows Phone. Period. Project Volta may be the best battery saver ever." - Seriously, WP battery is not proving better than Android so what makes you believe this statement? In addition, iOS (iPhone) is known to be the WORST of the 3...just saying.

"User Profiles/Screen Pinning: User Profiles is a cool feature, but who shares their phone?" - Agreed, just like Kids Corner for WP i find this useless...personally.

"Security: Android, by far, has always had the worst security when it comes to mobile OS. Windows Phone and iOS have always surpassed it. I have yet to see a virus on iOS or Windows Phone. On Android, there are a lot. So many, in fact, that it is actually recommended to install anti-virus apps." - Welcome to 2012, this was the case a long while ago but no longer with KitKat from personal experience. and NO, i dont have anti-virus running on my nexus 5...i have no reason to be concerned enough to, yes i did back with 4.0 and the slew of apps attacking my phone but Android has done a good job cleaning this up. It MAY happen to some, i cant speak on behalf of everyone but my personal experience has been nothing but exceptional.

Is Lollipop the answer to all Androids problems and will overtake WP/iOS? Definitely not. Its a positive step in the right direction for the mobile OS, much like any major update is for iOS/WP. Why cant people except this and appreciate all the OS's for what good they bring to the mobile universe, and hopefully they all learn from eachother and advance adequately. Why is it always a battle? I dont get this ****** thing geez.

colinkiama

Oct 13, 2013
Visit site
Android 5.0 is a big deal. They actually learnt from WP. Consistency. Google are urging their developers to develop to material design. Now all apps will have have similar layout. Like WP. That is literally the only thing android was missing. Now it's a (almost) perfect OS. However there are still concerns with security.

Last edited:

Elitis

Oct 27, 2013
Visit site
This. In addition, this post is a lot of opinions and not facts.

"Project Volta: Android will never compare in battery life to iOS and Windows Phone. Period. Project Volta may be the best battery saver ever." - Seriously, WP battery is not proving better than Android so what makes you believe this statement? In addition, iOS (iPhone) is known to be the WORST of the 3...just saying.

"User Profiles/Screen Pinning: User Profiles is a cool feature, but who shares their phone?" - Agreed, just like Kids Corner for WP i find this useless...personally.

"Security: Android, by far, has always had the worst security when it comes to mobile OS. Windows Phone and iOS have always surpassed it. I have yet to see a virus on iOS or Windows Phone. On Android, there are a lot. So many, in fact, that it is actually recommended to install anti-virus apps." - Welcome to 2012, this was the case a long while ago but no longer with KitKat from personal experience. and NO, i dont have anti-virus running on my nexus 5...i have no reason to be concerned enough to, yes i did back with 4.0 and the slew of apps attacking my phone but Android has done a good job cleaning this up. It MAY happen to some, i cant speak on behalf of everyone but my personal experience has been nothing but exceptional.

Is Lollipop the answer to all Androids problems and will overtake WP/iOS? Definitely not. Its a positive step in the right direction for the mobile OS, much like any major update is for iOS/WP. Why cant people except this and appreciate all the OS's for what good they bring to the mobile universe, and hopefully they all learn from eachother and advance adequately. Why is it always a battle? I dont get this ****** thing geez.

The majority of my post was facts. When I said "Android will never compare to iOS and Windows Phone in terms of battery life...", when I referred to iOS, I meant more in the sense of efficiency. I didn't make that part clear enough. Also, I'm not sure where you are getting your info from, but WP is, in fact, proving better in the battery life department than Android. As for security, viruses and malware were just my examples of how bad security is on Android. Security on Android is generally considered to be the worst out of the big three by far. iOS and WP are incredibly secure OS. But, again, that does come at a cost. We trade freedom for security. I'm not bashing Android here. Android 5.0 has me seriously looking at the Android OS for the first time, actually. With that said, a lot of info on 5.0 is just flat-out wrong and misleading.

thesachd

Banned
Sep 30, 2014
Visit site

Android will never compare in battery life to iOS and Windows Phone? Lol.

Maybe Android's approach on multitasking may not be the most battery friendly, but considering that we Android OEM's are already coming out with near 4000 mAH battery it surpasses the competition(maybe not through software, but definitely through hardware).

User profiles is extremely useful IMO, so is screen pinning. I have often found myself giving my phone to someone to make a call and they eventually "try" to snoop into my SMS or something, user profiles(or screen pinning) will help me(and a hell lot of other users).

Android has never been at the bottom of security charts, nor are anti-viruses recommended on Android. Please get your facts straight.

http://www.crn.com/news/mobility/30...vs-android-vs-blackberry-vs-windows-phone.htm

The fact that Android is more open, people mess with superuser permissions and install applications not from the Play Store is why some users put themselves at risk, Google is not to blame for this.

Also the reason why Windows Phone has yet to get any kind of security threats is primarily because no hackers care enough for this OS, in fact most of the general population don't care either.

And there are other things regarding security in Android Lollipop apart from encryption(which WP to the best of my knowledge doesn't have).

And you forgot to mention: the new ART runtime(upto 4X faster performance), 60 FPS animations, hotword activiation when phone is off(for supported devices), 8 MP burst mode, better lock screen notifications, better notifications and power toggles, trusted face, better graphics in games(they we're already significantly better than WP), low latency audio processing(Android could see professional voice recording apps soon), support for 64 bit hardware, and applications, etc.

It's way more exciting of an update than any WP update I've heard of.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3