Goodbye, Android.

EBUK

Oct 31, 2014
Visit site
Well, it's been three weeks since I bought my L735, and I've been using it every day since, but referring back to my Moto G 4G now and then.

But last night I made up my mind: the Android must go. I go so fed up with the constant 'Bug Capture' notification that popped up 4 or 5 times a day; the inconsistencies between app interfaces, apps that install numerous different widgets that all do exactly the same things; the constant data harvesting... and my main bone of contention - the terrible camera on the Moto (OK, so the camera isn't an Android issue, except this phone does not support the new Lollipop APIs that allow RAW data to be read from the camera sensor.)

This morning I packaged up the phone and returned it. Hopefully the refund will be swift, and I'll be able to purchase another Windows Phone, or perhaps a Windows tablet.

For the moment, my relationship is over. WP is a better lover. A few quirks, yes, but mainly consistent, and not as paranoid as Android; WP isn't going to track my every move. Long live WP.

Bobvfr

Apr 20, 2014
Visit site
Lucky you I have a works supplied android phone, I really don't like it at all.

Fortunately I always have my 1520 with me as well.

My lad just got a 930, have to say its a really nice phone if you can afford it

chezm

Apr 9, 2013
Visit site
not sure what that bug capture notification is, i've been running Android now with over 200+ apps installed with notifications...no malware or antivirus installed and never once a single attempt for some to try hacking my device. Sure maybe that was the case 2 years ago but things have come a long way.

anyway, whatever works best for you is what you should use. nice to see WP has delivered an experience that better suits your needs, enjoy it!

EBUK

Oct 31, 2014
Visit site
not sure what that bug capture notification is
On the Moto G, it appears that Motorola has installed a service that traps bugs, and sends a report back home. I've tried to 'freeze' it, but can't find the right service. One particular way to trigger the bug report is to press power and volume up.

i've been running Android now with over 200+ apps installed with notifications...no malware or antivirus installed and never once a single attempt for some to try hacking my device. Sure maybe that was the case 2 years ago but things have come a long way.
I've side-loaded plenty of apps, and never become infected with malware. There are some questionable apps, however; those that claim to root your phone and have a Chinese provenance are amongst them. See some of the threads on the XDA forums.

anyway, whatever works best for you is what you should use. nice to see WP has delivered an experience that better suits your needs, enjoy it!
Before I can to WP I was very wary of it. It impressed me, but he words 'Microsoft' and 'Windows' are not ones that instil me with confidence. MS's past monopolistic and anti-competitive actions together with the lack of security in Windows have tarnished the brand. But everyone I questioned who has a Windows Phone heaped praise upon it. So I took a chance. And I'm glad I did.

I am by no means a converted WP evangelist; I fully recognise that different people have different needs when it comes to mobile phones, as do you. If it works for you, use it. I wont try to persuade you otherwise!

As I've said, Android isn't a bad OS. It's just that it became a source of constant irritation to me. WP was a refreshing experience, and it does what I need, and it does it well without so many irritations.

chezm

Apr 9, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for the clarification, appreciate the response and insight. Weird how Moto added that trapper. Also, no need to explain why you dislike/annoyed by Android...its your preference to move to WP :) all cool

Nicholas Maguire

May 28, 2014
Visit site
Glad you're satisfied with WP. I love my Windows Phone, and when I upgrade~ it'll be another Windows Phone. I came from Android about a year ago, and it irritated me a lot. When I discovered Windows Phone, I felt like I had been saved, lol. I enjoy it. :smile:

PS: I never got a virus on Android myself, but I had seen infected Androids. I'd seen someone install a game that caused ad's to pop up on their home screen and they'd have to dismiss them. It also installed other apps.

Steve Adams

Banned
Nov 29, 2013
Visit site
That happened to me a lot of times on android, Then trying to remove it was horrible. Then, pop ups just coming up all the time, without any so called apps installed. Its just a cess pool actually. On Android, there is no control, any buttmuncher can make an app and your done. Pop ups all the time then, etc.

Windows phone passes every app put in the store. Like apple. One good thing about apple.

Soulstream

Apr 9, 2014
Visit site
I sometimes wonder what kind of apps people use. I have very rarely seen (like maybe 1 or 2) Android phones that have the problem with continuous pop-ups. I am not saying it is not true, but I am genuinely curious what kind of app does that.

chezm

Apr 9, 2013
Visit site
I sometimes wonder what kind of apps people use. I have very rarely seen (like maybe 1 or 2) Android phones that have the problem with continuous pop-ups. I am not saying it is not true, but I am genuinely curious what kind of app does that.

The pop up and virus thing was much more predominate during Icecream days...nowadays i have around 250 apps and never experienced any issues for the last 4 months. But when i had my S3 back with 4.0, it was horrible...enough for me to leave and come to WP.

Steve Adams

Banned
Nov 29, 2013
Visit site
only the last 4 months? I have never had a popup with any windows phone, and I have been using since the ativ s was released. A lot longer than 4 months. I had my 1020 for 6, the ativ for 8-10 before that, as well as the 520. Never had an issue with any apps.

fdalbor

Aug 8, 2013
Visit site
I have a 820 and a Moto G lte. While I prefer the Windows phone and system over the Moto G you can disable that app that is causing you problems. That is one of the things I dislike about Android, you cannot remove most of those blotwear apps they install on them. You can disable them so they won't work. But you can't get the memory that they take back. Also Microsofts use of the SD card is much superior to Androids. As a test I downloaded 25 apps and installed them on my 820, then I downloaded the same 25 apps and tried to install them on my Moto G. All but one installed on the 820 while only 13 installed on the Moto G. Google never says anything about how limited their use of the SD card is. I heard that Android L is supposed to be better; but it has not been pushed out for the Moto G yet.

fdalbor

Aug 8, 2013
Visit site
Totally wrong, I got 5.1 (L) on my Motorola lte and it is not only not better, it's much worst. A android phone with only 8gb of memory is almost useless.

ven07

Jan 27, 2014
Visit site

Chezm already answers this, but I just wanted to add.. Mostly a new user would fall prey to these things instead of someone who's been around for a bit. Sometimes we can all have an off day tho

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chuffster