From Windows phone to Android?

Status
Not open for further replies.

anon(8532178)

Feb 12, 2014
Visit site
Hi everyone today I did something I thought I would never do. I bought my first Android based device. I started it up used my old Gmail account and presto.
NOW TO LET EVERYONE KNOW I'M A MICROSOFT FAN BOY NOT SEVERE BUT AVERAGE. ALSO WP WAS MY VERY FIRST SMART PHONE AND OS THAT BEING A WP7 SAMSUNG FOCUS. When I started using this device it just felt weird like everything was all over the place I miss my start screen my live tiles etc. Has anyone had this experience having WP first?
My list of phones I ever used/owned.
Samsung Focus (WP7)
HTC Surround (WP7.5)
Lumia 920 (WP 8.0)
Lumia 925 (WP 8.0/8.1)
Lumia 520/521 (WP 8.0/8.1)
Lumia 635 (WP 8.1)

Last edited:

matt john2

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
Hi everyone today I did something I thought I would never do. I bought my first Android based device. I started it up used my old Gmail account and presto.
NOW TO LET EVERYONE KNOW I'M A MICROSOFT FAN BOY NOT SEVERE BUT AVERAGE. ALSO WP WAS MY VERY FIRST SMART PHONE AND OS THAT BEING A WP7 SAMSUNG FOCUS. When I started using this device it just felt weird like everything was all over the place I miss my start screen my live tiles etc. Has anyone had this experience having WP first?

Thats the downside of coming from windows phone, android OS is too messy to use but you've got the versatility the windows phone OS doesn't have.

Steve Adams

Banned
Nov 29, 2013
Visit site
yeah, the os layout is a mess. Plus if you don't have a top phone, in about a month or so your phone will be so bogged down it will take seconds to react to your inputs. Also, don't forget the inherent pop ups etc once you download an app that is made by a shady company or person.

Coming from the polished world of WP with less apps, to the free for all android os with many apps is a big adjustment. I had to use an android phone while wating for a replacement screen to arrive for my 1020. It was a horrible experience and confirmed the reason I ditched all my android products for windows products. WP/Win 8, weather it be on my tablet, notebook, or phone, is smooth, fast and works great. Whereas android is just all over the place, the file management for your data is a joke, and security is very lacking on android.

anon(8532178)

Feb 12, 2014
Visit site
But you can enjoy all the apps that is the trade off.
From Windows phone

Yeah haha but I got used to WP small market place if there isn't an official app I had to find a very good third party replacement.

yeah, the os layout is a mess. Plus if you don't have a top phone, in about a month or so your phone will be so bogged down it will take seconds to react to your inputs. Also, don't forget the inherent pop ups etc once you download an app that is made by a shady company or person.

Coming from the polished world of WP with less apps, to the free for all android os with many apps is a big adjustment. I had to use an android phone while wating for a replacement screen to arrive for my 1020. It was a horrible experience and confirmed the reason I ditched all my android products for windows products. WP/Win 8, weather it be on my tablet, notebook, or phone, is smooth, fast and works great. Whereas android is just all over the place, the file management for your data is a joke, and security is very lacking on android.

Yeah I agree the layout is ugh! Also I'm like how can they say WP is hard to figure out and work your way around. Also the security faults got me worried. For the Play Store is like Mall of America to me compared from Wp marketplace. But I agree Wp design is fluid.

Last edited by a moderator:

matt john2

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
Yeah I agree the layout is ugh! Also I'm like how can they say WP is hard to figure out and work your way around. Also the security faults got me worried. For the Play Store is like Mall of America to me compared from Wp marketplace. But I agree Wp design is fluid.

Well Android is pretty good performer actually. I think they improved the security/ encryption thing in their latest OS update as well as the IOS. As for the layout and the UI, you can actually download a launcher which acts like other rival OS( IOS/WP/etc.) or you can root your Android and install the stock android or the cyanogenmod. Things that I don't like about the Android is that it's not battery friendly, too many features/programs running that are sometime unnecessary, WP OS looks more appealing to me and feel more tidy. And yes you are correct even though they update the encryption of the OS it is still an android which is very popular to a lot of people, hackers, devs, etc. Which also makes it less secure OS.

anon(8532178)

Feb 12, 2014
Visit site
Well Android is pretty good performer actually. I think they improved the security/ encryption thing in their latest OS update as well as the IOS. As for the layout and the UI, you can actually download a launcher which acts like other rival OS( IOS/WP/etc.) or you can root your Android and install the stock android or the cyanogenmod. Things that I don't like about the Android is that it's not battery friendly, too many features/programs running that are sometime unnecessary, WP OS looks more appealing to me and feel more tidy. And yes you are correct even though they update the encryption of the OS it is still an android which is very popular to a lot of people, hackers, devs, etc. Which also makes it less secure OS.

Yeah battery life is terrible depending I guess on what handset you have. Also the background running is annoying me right now.

Steve Adams

Banned
Nov 29, 2013
Visit site
Since unplugging at 6am this morning I still have 50% percent battery left at 6pm. This is on my 1020. Much better than any android phone I have owned.

gapost

Dec 1, 2004
Visit site
I don't know all the phones you all are using, but I'm using the LG G2 and the there is no comparison between it and the battery life on my Icon. The LG is so much better. It's also better that the WP M8, which is better than the Icon.

Nicholas Maguire

May 28, 2014
Visit site
I came from Android to Windows Phone a year ago. I tried Android again about a month ago, Windows Phone feels much more elegant to me. I'm with Windows Phone for the long run. It's my heart and soul <3 Windows Phone

anon(8532178)

Feb 12, 2014
Visit site
I came from Android to Windows Phone a year ago. I tried Android again about a month ago, Windows Phone feels much more elegant to me. I'm with Windows Phone for the long run. It's my heart and soul <3 Windows Phone

Amen to that
I'm gonna use this Android device for a month and see how it goes. Reason I got it was because my Lumia 925 froze a couple days ago so I bought it for backup and going to use it as a daily driver.
Also I'm waiting for Windows "phone" 10 next year for their first device.

RobinPaul

Sep 23, 2012
Visit site
I also was a Windows Phone user and still love the OS. Last month I switched to Android (due to lack of app that didn't update). I bought a Samsung Galaxy S4 and in like 30 min going thru the phone I knew where what where was. Learning a new is not difficult (well for me). Also my battery last 1,5 days with doing the normal usage, messaging, fb, twitter, wpcentral, androidcentral & browsing.

I have all the Microsoft Apps that I had / used on my Lumia 920 / HTC 8X, so I'm not worried I will lose anything from Windows Phone.

anon(8532178)

Feb 12, 2014
Visit site
I also was a Windows Phone user and still love the OS. Last month I switched to Android (due to lack of app that didn't update). I bought a Samsung Galaxy S4 and in like 30 min going thru the phone I knew where what where was. Learning a new is not difficult (well for me). Also my battery last 1,5 days with doing the normal usage, messaging, fb, twitter, wpcentral, androidcentral & browsing.

I have all the Microsoft Apps that I had / used on my Lumia 920 / HTC 8X, so I'm not worried I will lose anything from Windows Phone.

I'm doing that right now installing Microsoft Apps on my phone. I'm getting use it but I don't it'll grow on me. They're are some things I missed from WP but unfortunately not much really. But I'm still WP fan.

Nicholas Maguire

May 28, 2014
Visit site

I know my way around Android a lot. I usually don't have to take time to get to know an OS, it just comes natural to me. Apps do not matter to me, I know they do to some of you, but to me, the OS itself is what matters. iOS was too plain and boring, Android was too plain (not as much as iOS) and too buggy, but Windows Phone... I absolutely adore it. Sometimes after unlocking my screen I just sit there and stare awestruck at the beautiful live tile filled start screen. Apps to me aren't a big deal, just a bonus, like how Halo Spartan Assault is a bonus to WP. Like I said though, I do understand that some of you really do care about the apps, I just don't use apps other than games, Facebook, and the default stuff like music, calculator, and the other basic stuff.

RobinPaul

Sep 23, 2012
Visit site
I'm doing that right now installing Microsoft Apps on my phone. I'm getting use it but I don't it'll grow on me. They're are some things I missed from WP but unfortunately not much really. But I'm still WP fan.

I find the Microsoft App way more polished on Android than on Windows Phone (but that my opinion). Also I thought Android will not grow on me, but everyday that I use it, I feel more and more happier that I have Android. Also if you know how to maintain your Android Phone smooth than believe you will also have no hick-ups like some people complain that the phone lags, it all depends what you put on there and how you handle your apps. For example I disabled all the Samsung Apps, put them in a separate folder, so I know I won't use them and they won't run in the background. Also what helps clean your ram every 2-3 days.

RobinPaul

Sep 23, 2012
Visit site
I know my way around Android a lot. I usually don't have to take time to get to know an OS, it just comes natural to me. Apps do not matter to me, I know they do to some of you, but to me, the OS itself is what matters. iOS was too plain and boring, Android was too plain (not as much as iOS) and too buggy, but Windows Phone... I absolutely adore it. Sometimes after unlocking my screen I just sit there and stare awestruck at the beautiful live tile filled start screen. Apps to me aren't a big deal, just a bonus, like how Halo Spartan Assault is a bonus to WP. Like I said though, I do understand that some of you really do care about the apps, I just don't use apps other than games, Facebook, and the default stuff like music, calculator, and the other basic stuff.

For me apps are not that important either, but having the official apps not getting updated really gets on my nerves. For Example look at Instagram BETA, it has been in BETA since beginning with the basic stuff and when is it ever coming out of the BETA state, yet on iOS and Android the keep updating it, same goes for Facebook BETA (also, when is it coming out of the BETA state and also why have 2 Facebook Apps, they should just work on one and keep updating that one), the can't implement the basic stuff like: share something on someone elses wall, till today you can share stuff only on your own wall. I'm a heavy Facebook user due to cause I manage my works Facebook Page and my page for my sportclub, so you there also it lacks the ability for that that you can do on iOS and Android with the app: Pages Manager.

Skype is another example, it get more stuff on iOS than the other platforms.

It's not to bash the OS, but the Developers of WP should really listen to their customers and update the App on par like iOS and Android. I know there are 3rd party apps, but you get the point of what I mean. (I hope hihi).

Games are the same thing, they lack update or the updates comes 2 days / a month later (specially the ones from Gameloft). I played Halo Spartan Assualt on my phone, than got it for my WIn 8.1 pc and never bother looking at the the games on my phone cause I had them on my pc / xbox 360.

The Music player on my Galaxy works flawlessly and also the Google Play Music is smooth, no splash screen. ( On Windows Phone I still prefer Zune Music Player from WP7.5 rather than the one from WP 8.1. They really messed that one up. Also the messed up the Games Hub, no live tile and sometimes takes a while before it refreshes. On WP 7.5 everything ran smooth for those apps.

Well that is my experience with WP, so that why I now gave Android a shot and I'm really content with it. Getting Lollipop this December from Samsung so the OS updates are pretty on time after announcement.

This is also my personal opnion, you might not agree on something, but that's natural.

Robin

Aresjr21

Mar 14, 2014
Visit site
For me apps are not that important either, but having the official apps not getting updated really gets on my nerves. For Example look at Instagram BETA, it has been in BETA since beginning with the basic stuff and when is it ever coming out of the BETA state, yet on iOS and Android the keep updating it, same goes for Facebook BETA (also, when is it coming out of the BETA state and also why have 2 Facebook Apps, they should just work on one and keep updating that one)

Your point about Facebook Beta, there is a non-beta version of the app and you seem to be aware of it so I don't understand the reason why the beta version will come out of beta.

As for why having beta apps, I personally like them when they supplement a full app. This is mainly because you can see new things developers might want to implement or features that may be brought to the app. Like you said about Xbox music, I think if they would have kept the previous app and release the current one as a beta version it would have benefited and xbox music wouldn't be such a dead horse to bring up.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site

I did the same thing you just did. I picked up my first Android phone. However I had a Nexus 7 for a few months beforehand. I'm still setting up the phone to way I like it. It's no different then setting up the Start screen.

To answer some of questions as to why I did it. I owned a L920 which was basically a lemon. I felt I gave MS the time to release a decent flagship phone in the 5" area, they didn't. So I had little choice as the battery life on my L920 was dismal and I couldn't take it any more. I've kept it to see what W10 is like, so I haven't really left WP.

I now own a Sony Xperia Z3. My battery life is amazing. I get basically three days out of my phone with my regular use. I'm very happy with my choice. The style of the Z3 is very nice. Phone is light. Took some time to get used to not feeling the lead weight of the L920. :p

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mducros