I hate goodbyes....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nick_1020

Mar 4, 2013
Visit site
I'm expecting my shiny new Sony Z3 to be delivered tomorrow. I'll have 14 days of tinkering and testing to see if I'm happy with it before making a final decision, but as things stand, I'm really looking forward to it.

I love my 1020. Love is word that is tossed around a lot these days but I really do love my 1020. It has, without a shadow of a doubt, the best camera on a smartphone. I've seen what the rest can do and whilst some, in certain situations can produce a pleasing photo on the phone, the 1020 is king of showing those images on big screens. The 1020 has helped to nurture my passion for photography and whilst I appreciate that I'm only an amateur, the phone has helped to encourage me along the way. I don't profess to have any massive talent when it comes to taking a photo, I spot something that may look nice and sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't but the 1020 helps with the ability to reframe from full resolution images with little loss in quality. That said, I've taken hundreds, make that well over one thousand photos that I'm happy with and even more than I've removed from the phone to create some space. Friends and family have often exclaimed joy and amazement at photos taken on the the 1020. The response on Twitter has be astounding and within the last week, I was fortunate enough to have a photo tagged as 'shot of the month' by LumiaUK. That made my day.

So many cherished memories created by the 1020 and for that alone, I'm extremely grateful.

I really like WP too. It's beautifully designed. Aesthetically, it's very appealing.

But....

I've become increasingly frustrated with the lack of certain apps and the absence of urgency from Microsoft regarding it's UK users. I've been waiting for a banking app for about two years and there's loads of other apps and games that are missing on WP. I've spent a lot of time road cycling over the past year and have purchased a Garmin cycle computer that works with iOS and Android to show messages, missed calls, live tracking and route syncing etc but alas, no WP support.

With that in mind, I've decided to invest my efforts into another platform. I don't really like the whole Apple experience so that ruled out an iPhone and just leaves Android. I know I will have to compromise regarding the camera but on the plus side, I'll finally have all the apps and games that I've wanted.

Hopefully, the Z3 will live up to expectation and if it does, it will definitely mean goodbye to WP. It's kinda sad as some of the new WP devices are very impressive spec wise and I will miss the 1020's camera every time I take a photo but needs must.

It's kinda ironic (and sad) that the one thing that I didn't think would bother me (app situation), is the one thing that is driving me away.

I will gladly reconsider WP for future upgrades if the app situation improves.

Edit: I hope this thread doesn't turn into a 'good riddance and shut the door on your way out' kinda thread (cue those comments). I just want to thank everyone here who has helped with issues and questions along the way and will continue to do so for others. This truly is a great community and one that I hope I can be part of again someday.

tapehead

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
Best of luck to you. I switched to the Z2 over the Summer and switched back to an 820 before Fall even started. Hope you find what's best for you.

EBUK

Oct 31, 2014
Visit site
Android has it's good points, and it's bad points. For me, a killer is not being able to install apps on an SD card (without rooting the phone and meddling with system files.) Essential apps and services that crash without rhyme or reason, is another bug bear.

But as you say there are plenty of apps.

If it works for you, use it. A smartphone is a tool that helps you get a job done. We have different jobs to do, so we use different tools. You have found a potentially better tool.

Good luck. Hope the Z3 meets your needs.

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
Don't leave!

... okay fine. You have a good reason.

I'm pondered leaving, but I realized that if I left I'd be going to something that I don't want. I've tried iOS and Android before. Nothing really against them. I just didn't really enjoy the UI as much as I enjoy Windows Phone. The beauty of the UI design of Windows Phone is something that I know I'd miss a lot.

anon(9023697)

Aug 12, 2014
Visit site
I was a lover of Android but now it frustrates me. No SD card support for Kitkat 4.2 makes my Galaxy Grad 2 duos useless. I believe that Lollipop brings this back but considering less than 30% of devices are running 4.4 I don't have high hopes that I will get this update for this device. I hope Sony look after you better than Samsung.

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
Don't leave!

... okay fine. You have a good reason.

I'm pondered leaving, but I realized that if I left I'd be going to something that I don't want. I've tried iOS and Android before. Nothing really against them. I just didn't really enjoy the UI as much as I enjoy Windows Phone. The beauty of the UI design of Windows Phone is something that I know I'd miss a lot.
It is very hard to outright abandon WP.

sinime

Retired Moderator
Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
I left WP7 for IOS because of apps that were missing from the WP store... it was good at first, but over time it got old and I found myself downloading apps that were now available to me, only to never use them or only open them once... Needless to say, after about 7 months with an iPhone, I couldn't wait to get back to WP and traded in the 4s for a lumia 900... I'm not saying you won't like Android, but have an exit plan available in case you don't.

detsaoT

Aug 6, 2014
Visit site
I know exactly what you're feeling - The Lumia 1020 was hands down one of the greatest (if not the) phones I've ever owned. The camera was nothing short of a miracle in such a small device - and mine completely replaced my SLR for 99.999% of my work.

That being said, I also left the platform recently. It's not the app situation that bothered me - Windows Phone has everything I need with the sole exception of my banking app (which I don't use anyway). What did start getting on my nerves were the "little hiccups" in using Windows, especially since 8.1 was released. The new Xbox Music app is *absymal.* Cortana is pleasant enough to talk to, but if she schedules an appointment, it's completely invisible to my Exchange or Gmail calendars (which is where I usually "look"). Typing has gotten imperceptibly worse - Not "bad," but bad enough that it's noticeable. And the phone does get sluggish from time to time (the animations are starting to "stutter"), even though I keep it fairly empty. And while the camera is nothing short of perfection, it is SO SLOW that it's practically useless on anything that's moving. I kept hoping that was something that Nokia (and then Microsoft) would've focused on fixing, and yet it stayed the same.

I will most certainly miss this phone most of all, though I'll probably break down and start carrying it around again just for the camera. But only because it's ten pounds lighter than all of my other camera equipment.

Thanks for the many happy memories, Windows Phone. Maybe we'll meet again someday.

Edit: In my almost four years with WP, I used Lumia 900, Lumia 925, and Lumia 1020. Windows Phone is still 999x better than any other user interface, at least as originally envisioned. Microsoft just needs to rip control of the UI away from whatever committee is currently running things, because they're ruining it for those of us who are fans of "uncluttered."

Last edited:

Arup Roy Chowdhury

Nov 16, 2014
Visit site
I have the Z3 and as a phone its the best out there on market, as a camera, it needs tinkering and can do some fantastic results beating out other android phones but in terms of quality and resolution it loses to my 1020 Lumia. Otherwise its waterproof, sturdily built with classy looks and great performance. Its the only phone currently to have heat pipe technology to dissipate heat. Just make sure to get the magnetic cable charger from ebay to extend life of the flaps.

mohit9206

May 25, 2013
Visit site
I switched to Android a couple months ago yet i still come here time to time to check on new developments in the Windows phone world. Iove Nokia more than Microsoft just to be clear.

Sent from my Moto E using Tapatalk.

tapehead

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
I know exactly what you're feeling - The Lumia 1020 was hands down one of the greatest (if not the) phones I've ever owned. The camera was nothing short of a miracle in such a small device - and mine completely replaced my SLR for 99.999% of my work.

That being said, I also left the platform recently. It's not the app situation that bothered me - Windows Phone has everything I need with the sole exception of my banking app (which I don't use anyway). What did start getting on my nerves were the "little hiccups" in using Windows, especially since 8.1 was released. The new Xbox Music app is *absymal.* Cortana is pleasant enough to talk to, but if she schedules an appointment, it's completely invisible to my Exchange or Gmail calendars (which is where I usually "look"). Typing has gotten imperceptibly worse - Not "bad," but bad enough that it's noticeable. And the phone does get sluggish from time to time (the animations are starting to "stutter"), even though I keep it fairly empty. And while the camera is nothing short of perfection, it is SO SLOW that it's practically useless on anything that's moving. I kept hoping that was something that Nokia (and then Microsoft) would've focused on fixing, and yet it stayed the same.

I will most certainly miss this phone most of all, though I'll probably break down and start carrying it around again just for the camera. But only because it's ten pounds lighter than all of my other camera equipment.

Thanks for the many happy memories, Windows Phone. Maybe we'll meet again someday.

Edit: In my almost four years with WP, I used Lumia 900, Lumia 925, and Lumia 1020. Windows Phone is still 999x better than any other user interface, at least as originally envisioned. Microsoft just needs to rip control of the UI away from whatever committee is currently running things, because they're ruining it for those of us who are fans of "uncluttered."

What it boils down to is that the next version of Windows Phone 8.1 slowed down your last-year's-model. Which is like running ICS on a Gingerbread phone. Perhaps the 1020 successor, if there is one, will suit your needs like WP8/1020 did. :)

iliramove

Sep 17, 2013
Visit site
Good choice getting the Experia Z3. I have been using my Lumia 1020 since launch day in my country and I can't seem to part with it. There were times when I really wanted to switch to Android, but the thought of the camera (which is important to me) and the Windows Phone 8.1 UI always calmed me down and made me stayed.

Now, I'm looking forward to the successor of my Lumia 1020.

MrZippo

Jan 6, 2013
Visit site
I have done the same and moved to a Xperia Z3 and not looked back.
As great as the camera was on the 1020, I grew increasing frustrated with the limitations of the ageing hardware and how slow it was to load up, take a photo and save. Most of my ios/android owning friends would have taken 4-5 pics by the time I had taken 1.
Whatsapp was slow to load up and going back and forth to it would really be sluggish and sometimes I wouldn't get the message until a few hours later.
I kept getting missed calls from Viber even though the phone didn't ring and it also took an age to load.
Over time I felt that apps seemed to take longer to load and this really frustrated me.
I of course miss the quality of pics taken with the 1020 and the wireless charging but other than that as a phone overall the xperia Z3 is much better in everyday use compared to the 1020.

Of course if the rumours are true about the 1020 successor, providing MS can provide high end specs like SD805/810 with the rumoured 50mp camera I would seriously consider coming back due to the strength of the camera.
Until then I am more than happy with the Xperia Z3.

tweedie

Jul 26, 2013
Visit site
I am in the same boat as you. frustrated on lack of apps sometimes (looking at you amex) and pondered on switching onto android platform now and then. Android do have some good apps, but the reason why I switched in the first place is that it was getting slow especially switching between apps. Now that google changed their environment to something call ant(?) it might much better, but then again my nexus tablet with the latest update is crawling even worse now.

good luck and pop in now and then.

MDMcAtee

Mar 30, 2014
Visit site
I left last July for a HTC m8 and have been extremely happy with the Android phone. I haven't even bothered to root it yet, and that is a real change for me. I have most of my apps on my SD card so I'm pretty happy about that. I looked at the z3 when it came out and it's a very nice phone that takes some great photos, and while the quality may not be as great as the 1020 can do, it's pretty close and blazing fast.

Check out the paid version of Power Amp for your music and MX player for your video player, they are by far the best apps for your listening and viewing pleasure.

I do hope Microsoft pulls their heads out of wherever they have them and gets some flagship phones soon out to compete...

Steve Adams

Banned
Nov 29, 2013
Visit site
The "1030" (not sure what it will be called) will be released this year, as well as I think it may be even called the surface phone. If not, I think there will be a kick *** surface phone available sometime this year as well.

Nick_1020

Mar 4, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for all the comments.

The Z3 arrived this morning. It's a really good phone, very stylish and nippy. No hint of any Android performance issues that I hear so much about, but then again, that kind of thing is unlikely to happen right after unboxing.

Played Subway Surfers for a little while and gone was the lagging that I used to experience most times on the 1020. The 1020 used to struggle running the game when notifications were coming through and other tasks were being carried out so that was a noticeable plus.

However, the camera is poor. Have only tested inside so far but the colour reproduction is dreadful. Was shocking to see it that bad. It was also hard to notice if the flash was on...just seemed very weak.

I accepted the compromise with the camera so I kinda expected the image quality to be where it is.

Now for the big but.....the Garmin Connect Mobile app does not fully work with the Z3 as yet. My Garmin Edge connects to the phone via Bluetooth and I can see it in the list of paired devices but as far as the app is concerned the device is unpaired. Tried unpairing and repairing a few times, uninstalling and then reinstalling the app but no joy. I called Garmin support who suggested the things I had already tried and they advised it looks like the Z3 isn't fully compatible with app as yet. They were unable to give me a time frame on when an update would fix things so it looks like my relationship with the Z3 is going to end before a full day has passed.

The Z3 is not on the Garmin list of compatible Android smartphones. The Z2 is listed so I thought it would be ok. They also have a note which says that even if your devices isn't listed, it may still be compatible if it's running Android OS 4.3 or above and has Bluetooth 4.0. The Z3 ticks both of those boxes so I thought it would work.

Really disappointed.

Rick_Air

May 7, 2013
Visit site
The "1030" (not sure what it will be called) will be released this year, as well as I think it may be even called the surface phone. If not, I think there will be a kick *** surface phone available sometime this year as well.

Wow! Where you getting this info? You seem to know stuff that no site does.

Erh, no.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MatthewHilbers