Why all the hate?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TonyDedrick

Dec 8, 2011
Visit site

There is nothing wrong with being loyal to a company or be against a company.
Typed on my Pikachu lumia 1520( aka the best phone) via tapatalk
TThere is when you (not you specifically) come off as a raging lunatic frothing at the mouth on either side. Again, I don't think it's a bad thing to have preferences and dislikes. But that's as far as it should go. Unless Microsoft is paying your bills or Google is eating your puppies. I try to save loyalty for family and friends who earn it and hate for people who deserve it. Not for companies who really have no care in the world about my existence.

vineet_vpns12

Apr 5, 2014
Visit site
Android is ruling the market, so google got the license to put up their chin up, and ignore rest.
Where as windows phone though growing but still struggling, so if google doesn't provides google services to windows user ,they will be unaffected to most of the levels, whereas MS is struggling and of they dont share their app to other platforms, it gonna cost MS a lot.
So time plays its role time to time.
Time is of Google inc.
Let them enjoy, u keep using Windows and windows phone.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
I believe there is less negativity on AndroidCentral toward Microsoft than on WindowsCentral toward Google simply because Microsoft services are available on Android. If Android users want Skype and Office they've got it. However, Windows Phone users can't get Google Maps, Hangouts or any of the Google services beside search. That's the result of Microsoft's and Google's business decisions. Microsoft provided its services to other platforms but Google hasn't provided its services to Windows Phone.

And to add to that, WP is less of a threat to Android than Android is to WP. We know for sure that Android is not going down anytime soon. WP, by contrast, is hanging by a proverbial thread. That being said, Microsoft can and probably will subsidize WP as needed for the time being, but it's certainly not standing on its own financially. Will Microsoft pull the plug? Probably not, but at the same time it's certainly a possibility.

I've said before that the differences in the attitudes on the Mobile Nations forums comes down to this: iPhone users don't even know there are other platforms (exaggerated to emphasize the point), and Android users know they're not the only ones, but they don't care about them. You know, the elephant is not afraid of the mouse. WP & BlackBerry are the underdogs and must "fight" for survival.

BobLobIaw

Feb 22, 2013
Visit site
My biggest objection to the whole tribal thing at the core of this discussion is that it's just an exercise in silly stereotyping. Stereotyping is one of the most frequent fallacies and distractions encountered on website comment forums. In my book, it's fine to confront a "hater" and hold him or her to a standard of defensible commentary in the context of a particular post, but it is folly to try to extrapolate those behaviors to a whole forum of users.

Soulstream

Apr 9, 2014
Visit site
And to add to that, WP is less of a threat to Android than Android is to WP. We know for sure that Android is not going down anytime soon. WP, by contrast, is hanging by a proverbial thread. That being said, Microsoft can and probably will subsidize WP as needed for the time being, but it's certainly not standing on its own financially. Will Microsoft pull the plug? Probably not, but at the same time it's certainly a possibility.

I've said before that the differences in the attitudes on the Mobile Nations forums comes down to this: iPhone users don't even know there are other platforms (exaggerated to emphasize the point), and Android users know they're not the only ones, but they don't care about them. You know, the elephant is not afraid of the mouse. WP & BlackBerry are the underdogs and must "fight" for survival.

I would add that Android users don't really need to care about other platforms because their own platform is so very diverse. You don't like Samsung's flavor of Android? go for HTC. Or sony. Or LG. Different yet the same.

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
I just want to say as someone who was an avid Android user for like 3-4 years(I used Phandroid...I didn't know of AC really until after Windows Phone in 2012 when I discovered Windows Central) something interesting.

Windows Phone users may be the most zealous when it comes to their OS compared to other Mobile Nation sites, but that is sort of natural. We're the underdogs and get treated as lesser class compared to Google. So it is natural.

However, within the Android World, the same type of mentality exists heavily....if not worse. You have the Nexus Crowd, The Galaxy Crowd, HTC, Rooted Users, Non-Rooted Users and even within their own world they fight heavily with each other(And even worse than Lumia vs Htc/Samsung).

So while they may not be as vocal about Anti-Microsoft(Most of them use google services primarily and are less open to others anyway so that argument is invalid)....they have their own division that is just as vocal as ours is with Microsoft vs Google. Android Users are generally far more aggressive when it comes to their android device compared to another android device...

and don't you dare compare it to apple :D

However on the flipside, it's also the same argument for Google fans vs windows Fans.....Reverse it. Chromebooks vs Windows. So again it is not just a Windows Central/Windows Phone thing. I'd argue and say it is less prevalent on Windows central than other sites.

I would add that Android users don't really need to care about other platforms because their own platform is so very diverse. You don't like Samsung's flavor of Android? go for HTC. Or sony. Or LG. Different yet the same.

My biggest objection to the whole tribal thing at the core of this discussion is that it's just an exercise in silly stereotyping. Stereotyping is one of the most frequent fallacies and distractions encountered on website comment forums. In my book, it's fine to confront a "hater" and hold him or her to a standard of defensible commentary in the context of a particular post, but it is folly to try to extrapolate those behaviors to a whole forum of users.

Android is ruling the market, so google got the license to put up their chin up, and ignore rest.
Where as windows phone though growing but still struggling, so if google doesn't provides google services to windows user ,they will be unaffected to most of the levels, whereas MS is struggling and of they dont share their app to other platforms, it gonna cost MS a lot.
So time plays its role time to time.
Time is of Google inc.
Let them enjoy, u keep using Windows and windows phone.

FWIW

Actually Android Central does have a phone wars forum it's in the Android Lounge and imore has their iteration of it in their other os's forum but not called phone wars and there's a current thread going on there about which platform to choose... Micah even posted on it..

MDMcAtee

Mar 30, 2014
Visit site
No one including myself has ever said it's the entire forum Bob that acts this way. Not once. So the core discussion is not stereotyping the entirety of the forum or it's members,but only some here whom as I stated in the beginning do this .

MDMcAtee

Mar 30, 2014
Visit site
I just want to say as someone who was an avid Android user for like 3-4 years(I used Phandroid...I didn't know of AC really until after Windows Phone in 2012 when I discovered Windows Central) something interesting.

Windows Phone users may be the most zealous when it comes to their OS compared to other Mobile Nation sites, but that is sort of natural. We're the underdogs and get treated as lesser class compared to Google. So it is natural.

However, within the Android World, the same type of mentality exists heavily....if not worse. You have the Nexus Crowd, The Galaxy Crowd, HTC, Rooted Users, Non-Rooted Users and even within their own world they fight heavily with each other(And even worse than Lumia vs Htc/Samsung).

So while they may not be as vocal about Anti-Microsoft(Most of them use google services primarily and are less open to others anyway so that argument is invalid)....they have their own division that is just as vocal as ours is with Microsoft vs Google. Android Users are generally far more aggressive when it comes to their android device compared to another android device...

and don't you dare compare it to apple :D

However on the flipside, it's also the same argument for Google fans vs windows Fans.....Reverse it. Chromebooks vs Windows. So again it is not just a Windows Central/Windows Phone thing. I'd argue and say it is less prevalent on Windows central than other sites.
I am sorry but your assessment is flawed IMHO.

Sure there are divisions with the various factions of Android and while there are outspoken people within their respective ranks on the various forums, none that I have seen show the same disdain towards Microsoft as what is shown here towards Google.

Being a "underdog " is not a free pass for some here to constantly put another platform down.

Yes most use Google services, but many including myself use Microsoft services as well so the argument is valid in every way.

Most Android users I know care very deeply about getting the best way of doing things with the least amount of hassle, so for Microsoft to add more services is a bonus and as such are appreciative of this.

As to the general consensus about Apple, while many feel about the same there,things have been changing slowly since more and more people have used them switching to Android. Most who have switched have stated that they dislike the closed stance on everything and are enjoying the ease of customizing their phones. It's usually like that especially if they are going with one of the various highend phones.

Last edited:

BobLobIaw

Feb 22, 2013
Visit site
No one including myself has ever said it's the entire forum Bob that acts this way. Not once. So the core discussion is not stereotyping the entirety of the forum or it's members,but only some here whom as I stated in the beginning do this .

MD, just because you aren't accusing every WP user of the behavior doesn't mean you aren't stereotyping. Also, I wasn't just referring to your post. When people say iPhone users do this, Android users do that, and Windows Phone users do the other thing, that is by definition stereotyping, unless there are defined, proven characteristics that have been demonstrated to differentiate the groups. Anecdotal, perception-biased observations don't cut it. I'm sorry, but I'm not buying into the whole "Windows Phone users are haters" implication running through this thread. If you were to say something like "many people in tech forums hate devices they don't use and it is unfortunate because that exercise interferes with rational discussion" I would give you a thanks and a like. It's the fact that you are singling out WP people that causes the stereotype. I dunno, maybe you have made a similar thread in Android Central asking them "why all the hate" toward other platforms. I doubt it though.

MDMcAtee

Mar 30, 2014
Visit site
MD, just because you aren't accusing every WP user of the behavior doesn't mean you aren't stereotyping. Also, I wasn't just referring to your post. When people say iPhone users do this, Android users do that, and Windows Phone users do the other thing, that is by definition stereotyping, unless there are defined, proven characteristics that have been demonstrated to differentiate the groups. Anecdotal, perception-biased observations don't cut it. I'm sorry, but I'm not buying into the whole "Windows Phone users are haters" implication running through this thread. If you were to say something like "many people in tech forums hate devices they don't use and it is unfortunate because that exercise interferes with rational discussion" I would give you a thanks and a like. It's the fact that you are singling out WP people that causes the stereotype. I dunno, maybe you have made a similar thread in Android Central asking them "why all the hate" toward other platforms. I doubt it though.
Really... So stating some people here do this way too much is stereotyping the entire forum? Look at the post regarding here.. Come on..

I really suggest that you take the appropriate time to go back and read what I said please.

I understand that you feel differently than I do Bob, but please... I never thought anyone would try to make your claims about such a general description for some vocal people.

I have no need to post this on AC since the same thing isn't as prevalent and when it does happen folks there are very quick to say something about it.

I am sorry but it appears that you have a grudge against the other platforms and you appear to condone the doing this here..

BobLobIaw

Feb 22, 2013
Visit site
I have no need to post this on AC since the same thing isn't as prevalent and when it does happen folks there are very quick to say something about it.

I am sorry but it appears that you have a grudge against the other platforms and you appear to condone the doing this here..

I read all the forums and every one has its fair share of people hating on competing platforms. The fact that you are singling out WC and saying it is a worse behavior here compared to Android Central is precisely the bias and stereotyping I am referring to. Why would that be, MC? Are people more relaxed on AC? Do more level-headed people use Android phones? Do WP users have their nuts in a vice? The conclusion you reach smacks of arrogance and condescension toward WP users that post here. It boggles my mind that you can't see that. I have no grudge against anyone or any platform, but I do have strong opinions about forum wars. They are the lowest form of discussion that crops up on Mobile Nations.

MDMcAtee

Mar 30, 2014
Visit site
I read all the forums and every one has its fair share of people hating on competing platforms. The fact that you are singling out WC and saying it is a worse behavior here compared to Android Central is precisely the bias and stereotyping I am referring to. Why would that be, MC? Are people more relaxed on AC? Do more level-headed people use Android phones? Do WP users have their nuts in a vice? The conclusion you reach smacks of arrogance and condescension toward WP users that post here. It boggles my mind that you can't see that. I have no grudge against anyone or any platform, but I do have strong opinions about forum wars. They are the lowest form of discussion that crops up on Mobile Nations.
Sorry Bob.

The fact that I am posting this here is to draw attention to this. If the truth hurts perhaps you should look at your behavior and those here who do this. There is more of this here on this forum than most other forums and one doesn't have to look real hard to find this. This doesn't mean everyone here does this, and if you take offense to me pointing this out.... Well.. I apologize.. But the facts remain evident in this and the question remains as to why.. and how can you be offended by pointing this out? Further if the phone wars forum is to you the lowest form of communication, why are you participating on it?

BobLobIaw

Feb 22, 2013
Visit site
Sorry Bob.

The fact that I am posting this here is to draw attention to this. If the truth hurts perhaps you should look at your behavior and those here who do this. There is more of this here on this forum than most other forums and one doesn't have to look real hard to find this. This doesn't mean everyone here does this, and if you take offense to me pointing this out.... Well.. I apologize.. But the facts remain evident in this and the question remains as to why.. and how can you be offended by pointing this out? Further if the phone wars forum is to you the lowest form of communication, why are you participating on it?

What behavior are you referring to? I never badmouth any competing forum. As a matter of fact, I go out of my way to say that all tech options have their advantages. See, now you are trying to stereotype me. With respect to the "truth" you are just providing an unsubstantiated opinion--there is no truth to your sweeping generalization, just perception bias.

Read my post carefully please. I said I object to "forum wars" not "phone wars." There is a big difference. I don't have any problems discussing the differences between phones. However, BS tribal warfare among Mobile Nations clans is complete bush. I think if you have problems with certain "hate" posters you should engage them directly. Simply coming over from an Android Central perspective and trying to patronize Windows Central posters by starting a general "stop the hate" thread is an instigation tactic. That's all I have to say. I hope the mods close this ridiculously-themed thread.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
Wow. The OP made a very valid point regarding the overly passionate opinions of some of our members and this thread has turned into a phone war within a phone war. I do agree with some of the posters that passions run deeper on WPC than they do on other Mobile Nations sites. I came from webOS Nation and I rarely saw "flaming". In fact, I had never even seen the term before. I think a lot of it comes from frustration due to a perceived failure by Microsoft to get with the program. We live in a society that is centered around instant gratification and we just don't want to wait. That being said, why would anybody who knows MS's modus operandi, purchase any of their products in the hopes of new features being added at a regular pace? You can go a step further and ask why anybody purchases anything with the expectation of any kind of updating. Read what it says on the box. If it doesn't include what you want, leave it be.

MDMcAtee

Mar 30, 2014
Visit site
What behavior are you referring to? I never badmouth any competing forum. As a matter of fact, I go out of my way to say that all tech options have their advantages. See, now you are trying to stereotype me. With respect to the "truth" you are just providing an unsubstantiated opinion--there is no truth to your sweeping generalization, just perception bias.

Read my post carefully please. I said I object to "forum wars" not "phone wars." There is a big difference. I don't have any problems discussing the differences between phones. However, BS tribal warfare among Mobile Nations clans is complete bush. I think if you have problems with certain "hate" posters you should engage them directly. Simply coming over from an Android Central perspective and trying to patronize Windows Central posters by starting a general "stop the hate" thread is an instigation tactic. That's all I have to say. I hope the mods close this ridiculously-themed thread.
Your behavior on this thread is what I am referring to Bob.

You stated that my opinion is unsubstantiated and there is no truth to what I have said , when in fact it is clearly seen by just reviewing the threads on this forum.

You stated that I have perception bias when in fact it is you that has this issue.

You further ask for my thread to be shut down in effort to silence me just because you have issue with my pointing out this type of behavior here.

You asked why I haven't pointed out or took the issue to the individuals who do show anti Google or anti Apple rehteric and I will answer you, because that would be picking on those individuals who do this and I have tried to in the past and have been called on it.

I have used generalizations to keep from getting in trouble, not because I choose to but because I have been instructed to change how I post or face being banned even when someone has taken what I have said completely out of context intentionally.

Why is it Bob that you are afraid to acknowledge that some people here seem to hate the other platforms? If these people have a right to post their feelings, do I have any less right to post mine?

Why is this..?

I will ask again, why all the hate for the other platforms here?

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
^^Frustration Mac. Tech heads seem to think that updates are a given. There is a feeling on these boards that MS is a superior system but gets no respect. Maybe it is, It's not my place to decide for others. I know what works for me and what doesn't, but I won't go around blasting other platforms.
Sent from my ginormous Lumia 1520 via the Tapatalk app

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
There will be changes coming to the Phone Wars forum in a couple weeks. These changes will be implemented once key Staff members are available, as several are away on business at this time.

The reason there is no "hate" in the AndroidCentral Phone Wars forum is because the system is set up differently than it is here. We will be implementing a similar system here at WindowsCentral.

Hate will not be permitted, and it is not permitted now. If you see any posts that break the rules, please report them.

In the meantime, please stay tuned for changes to this forum.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
COME ON WIN ANDROID (ADI)