If Nokia creates Android smartphones, which one would you choose?

ShinraCorp

Feb 13, 2014
Visit site
Amazon's Fire Phone runs Android apps as well. How did that go over?

Nokia already released an Android tablet. I see them going with a full Google Android phone.

The only difference is, Nokia helped develop the Sailfish OS, so why wouldn't they?

Angry_Mushroom

Jan 18, 2013
Visit site
It appears to run android apps so I am assuming it will have some degree of app store.

Last I checked. It can sideload apps, but the results are inconsistent and prone to freezing. The fact that the hardware is meh at best isn't helping them right now. As I said before. If Nokia could make a compelling piece of hardware with the features I desire at the right price. I'm game.

ShinraCorp

Feb 13, 2014
Visit site
Did they? Last time I checked they only licenced the name to Foxconn who are the real developers of the tablet, Nokia had 0 people working on the tablet.

The unveiling of the N1 came shortly after an announcement on 17 November 2014 by Nokia technologies head Ramzi Haidamus that the company would begin to contract the manufacturing of future Nokia products to third-party companies, to ensure a continued consumer presence for the "valuable" Nokia brand.

But so far Sailfish OS has been winning awards at MWC and been called "The Android Alternative" by many media outlets. So perhaps they do have a chance, even then they can start off small (they did sell their whole hardware division after all.) I think Nokia is trying to be unique instead of being part of the endless sea of android devices in which it was proven that there's no profitability unless you're Samsung, or Google.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
The only difference is, Nokia helped develop the Sailfish OS, so why wouldn't they?

You seem to have missed that fact that they recently released a tablet that runs Lollipop. Do you really think they would turn to another OS with low market share?

Last I checked. It can sideload apps, but the results are inconsistent and prone to freezing. The fact that the hardware is meh at best isn't helping them right now. As I said before. If Nokia could make a compelling piece of hardware with the features I desire at the right price. I'm game.
SIdeloading apps only appeals to enthusiasts. The average Joe or average Jane who doesn't frequent forums such as these wouldn't have a clue about sideloading.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site

Nokia already released an Android tablet. I see them going with a full Google Android phone.
I agree. I have non-techy family members who have Kindle Fire tablets. They just use the Amazon App Store, but they wouldn't have a clue how to install the Google Play Store on their Kindle Fire tablets. Those same people have Android smartphones, but they also don't have a clue how to sideload the Amazon App Store on their Android smartphones. They'd probably look at me like I was speaking a foreign language if I even mentioned sideloading.

fdalbor

Aug 8, 2013
Visit site
I use Kindle Fire tablets and have a 820 and a Moto G lte. There are a ton of other app stores (1MobileMarket, MoboMarket, GetJar, and many others) that you can get Android apps from just by downloading the app for that store. Even a bozo like myself can download Android apps and never get close to Google's Play store. You only need their Play Store if you want a Google App.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
I use Kindle Fire tablets and have a 820 and a Moto G lte. There are a ton of other app stores (1MobileMarket, MoboMarket, GetJar, and many others) that you can get Android apps from just by downloading the app for that store. Even a bozo like myself can download Android apps and never get close to Google's Play store. You only need their Play Store if you want a Google App.
Just the fact that you are a member of this site means you're really an enthusiast, not 'bozo'. The relatives of mine that I'm talking about wouldn't even know how to look for any of those other sites. The particular app store that is native to their devices and preinstalled is all they know and care about. They had no interest in even checking out Mobile Nations, despite my involvement.

DJCBS

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
Did they? Last time I checked they only licenced the name to Foxconn who are the real developers of the tablet, Nokia had 0 people working on the tablet.

Except that's not true. Nokia designed the N1 both hardware and software. The N1 was designed by Axel Meyer and his team. In case you're wondering who Axel Meyer is, he's the current Head of Design at Nokia and he was also responsible for the design of the Nokia N9 (and therefore Lumia 800). Many of the team designers that were in charge of the N9 remained at Nokia, actually they didn't move to Microsoft.

Nokia didn't license the name to Foxconn. They contracted Foxconn to build the tablet for them. Which is exactly what Microsoft does with the Xbox One, and Apple with pretty much all their products. Now, Foxconn can only produce those things under a license. Obviously otherwise it would be industrial theft.
But Nokia had a group on the Nokia Technologies division (Nokia's new "D&S" division if you will) led by Sebastian Nystr?m developing the N1, starting on the 26th of April (the day after the deal with MS closed).

The key difference between "old" Nokia and "new" Nokia that people apparently didn't grasp is that "old" Nokia was a phone maker AND manufacturer. That second part: the manufacturing and distribution, is what Nokia no longer does and what Microsoft bought.
So basically, now and going forward, Nokia will join the likes of Apple, Sony, Motorola etc. They design the phones inside and out and then a third party (Foxconn) builds the phones for them.

But so far Sailfish OS has been winning awards at MWC and been called "The Android Alternative" by many media outlets. So perhaps they do have a chance, even then they can start off small (they did sell their whole hardware division after all.) I think Nokia is trying to be unique instead of being part of the endless sea of android devices in which it was proven that there's no profitability unless you're Samsung, or Google.

If anything, Sailfish will end up turned into Nokia's Android "skin". As a separate OS it has very little future. And Nokia will not make the same mistake twice. Going with an OS with no relevance and little development (WP7) already cost them a lot once. Even if they end up buying Jolla (which I believe is a possibility) they won't be further developing Sailfish as a phone OS to compete with Google.

By the way, the scenario on Android isn't really as Samsung-centred as that. Yes, Samsung is the biggest Android OEM but they are seeing profits decreasing while other Android OEMs that have innovated more then them these last few years have seen growth (like LG for example).

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site

I never said it would be popular, I just said that it runs android apps ;) Do keep in mind the fire phone was a horribly overpriced phone which is a HUGE reason for its epic fail.

ShinraCorp

Feb 13, 2014
Visit site
By the way, the scenario on Android isn't really as Samsung-centred as that. Yes, Samsung is the biggest Android OEM but they are seeing profits decreasing while other Android OEMs that have innovated more then them these last few years have seen growth (like LG for example).

You mean Huawei and Xiaomi? Also please post a source showing that LG is showing growth, no the stocks doesn't count since it's a mysterious and complex set of fake values to determine how much a company is "worth". I can't find it anywhere (then again all articles point to Android as a whole instead of OEMs)

DJCBS

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
You mean Huawei and Xiaomi? Also please post a source showing that LG is showing growth, no the stocks doesn't count since it's a mysterious and complex set of fake values to determine how much a company is "worth". I can't find it anywhere (then again all articles point to Android as a whole instead of OEMs)

Head over to Android Central and search there. They ran an article on it. And I'm pretty sure other tech sites that cover Android like PocketNow and Android Authority ran the story too.

MarkusDindu

Feb 11, 2015
Visit site

2014 was a big year for LG smartphones. It was reported on many sites that their phones were selling well, the G3 was voted one of the best Android phones you could buy. Not that I would.

LumiaWorld

May 31, 2013
Visit site
If Nokia would continue to be like Xiaomi (you know, quality hardware + good specs for a low price like the Nokia N1) on their future devices, they have a chance to be on top again... The Nokia brand is still popular on some countries...

Visa Declined

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site
If Nokia would continue to be like Xiaomi (you know, quality hardware + good specs for a low price like the Nokia N1) on their future devices, they have a chance to be on top again...

The comparison to Xiaomi is fitting. The first batch of Nokia's N1 tablet sold out in 4 minutes = 20,000 units, which is incredible. It's the same thing Xiaomi does when they release their phones. To put this into comparison, Nokia is said to have only sold 30,000 units of their 2520 Windows RT tablet...over the entire sales lifetime of that device. The 30,000 number is estimated from the amount of faulty chargers they had to replace https://www.yahoo.com/tech/nokia-recalls-30-000-chargers-for-lumia-2520-tablet-83010505315.html

If Nokia keeps releasing impressive hardware for small $$ amounts, they'll be onto something big.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
The comparison to Xiaomi is fitting. The first batch of Nokia's N1 tablet sold out in 4 minutes = 20,000 units, which is incredible. It's the same thing Xiaomi does when they release their phones. To put this into comparison, Nokia is said to have only sold 30,000 units of their 2520 Windows RT tablet...over the entire sales lifetime of that device. The 30,000 number is estimated from the amount of faulty chargers they had to replace https://www.yahoo.com/tech/nokia-recalls-30-000-chargers-for-lumia-2520-tablet-83010505315.html

If Nokia keeps releasing impressive hardware for small $$ amounts, they'll be onto something big.

In that case, they sold 30,002 tablets. I had both the Verizon and AT&T models and I never had any issues with the chargers. I had read about it but I was not affected.

Angry_Mushroom

Jan 18, 2013
Visit site

LG's marketshare has grown over the past year, and it appears they're still increasing their presence.
LG sells 15.4 million smartphones in Q1 2015, records revenue of $3.27 billion | Android Central

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rogertewarte