If Nokia creates Android smartphones, which one would you choose?

Vincentius Dalton

May 28, 2014
Visit site
If Nokia creates fully-fledged Android smartphones (unlike X's forked Android) in 2016, would you choose Nokia's Android or Microsoft Lumia's Windows 10 smartphone?

Dusan Randj

Jul 10, 2014
Visit site
That Nokia isn't the real Nokia, it most probably will be Chinese phone with just Nokia name. Old one is now become MsFt. But I'll have to think about switching back to Android or even iOS as W10 is losing what made me switch to WP.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
A hardware manufacturer shouldn't be the only deciding factor when choosing a phone. I don't get this cult of Nokia thing.

If you want a Nokia phone more than a WP I'm a bit confused why you're on WP in the first place.

To answer your question. Any time I buy a phone from this point forward, regardless of the OS, it will always have to conform to factors that are important to me.

Battery life is #1 for me. After that comes design (I have to like it), screen and any additional features (waterproof, dust proof, etc).

Other than that it's irrelevant. On Android you can change the launcher, on WP you get what you get.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
That Nokia isn't the real Nokia, it most probably will be Chinese phone with just Nokia name. Old one is now become MsFt. But I'll have to think about switching back to Android or even iOS as W10 is losing what made me switch to WP.

Nokia phones were made in China and engineered in Finland. It will probably be the same thing again. I don't see the difference other than it being a 'Nokia' plant. Trust me when I say the Nokia plant wasn't much different than any other Chinese plants.

Dusan Randj

Jul 10, 2014
Visit site
Nokia phones were made in China and engineered in Finland. It will probably be the same thing again. I don't see the difference other than it being a 'Nokia' plant. Trust me when I say the Nokia plant wasn't much different than any other Chinese plants.

Think twice. Yes, plant is plant, but Engineering, developing, researching, designing and other teams are now in MSFT. You'll now have different Nokia with different ideas, people, teams, etc. It's much more complex then just a name.

KhawarNadeem

Jul 6, 2014
Visit site
A hardware manufacturer shouldn't be the only deciding factor when choosing a phone. I don't get this cult of Nokia thing.

I somehow get the cult following. But people need to realize that the Nokia they knew is Microsoft now. All the talent in the form of engineers and designers went along with the acquisition. So if they were Nokia loyalists, they should now be MS loyalists, since they're making pretty much the same quality hardware, just under a different name.

LumiaWorld

May 31, 2013
Visit site
I think Nokia is going the Chinese way... You know, high quality products with low price tags.

If they are going to continue doing this with their upcoming phones, I think they will have a chance to be on top again.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
Think twice. Yes, plant is plant, but Engineering, developing, researching, designing and other teams are now in MSFT. You'll now have different Nokia with different ideas, people, teams, etc. It's much more complex then just a name.

A lot of Nokia talent left Nokia when they got bought by MSFT and others have been laid off. What's important with quality and design is the mindset of the people behind it. Nokia is a Finnish company with a Finnish mindset. Good design and quality is part of Finnish life. I know from personal experience having lived in Finland. You could say it's a Scandinavian mindset but Finland isn't technically part of Scandinavia.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
I somehow get the cult following. But people need to realize that the Nokia they knew is Microsoft now. All the talent in the form of engineers and designers went along with the acquisition. So if they were Nokia loyalists, they should now be MS loyalists, since they're making pretty much the same quality hardware, just under a different name.

Agree but not all the engineers and designers stayed with Nokia when they got bought and others have probably been laid off now.

tangledW

Banned
Aug 11, 2014
Visit site
I didn't buy any the 5 Windows Phones I own because of an OEM loyalty.

My first purchase came down to the Lumia 822 & HTC 8x, I went with the 822 because of its size and not much more.

After that initial purchase, I stuck with Nokia phones because they were the only OEM showing serious support for the platform. If Samsung/Verizon had shown support for the Ativ SE, I would probably still be on Verizon (instead of AT&T) and still using the Ativ SE as my daily phone.

I go with the phones I like and need, I almost bought the HTC M8 bit the camera drove me away.

KhawarNadeem

Jul 6, 2014
Visit site
Agree but not all the engineers and designers stayed with Nokia when they got bought and others have probably been laid off now.

This sad truth. Though I doubt MS would have laid off the top designers or engineers or those who were most experienced. They laid off a lot of factory workers and such, though.

Evronian

Mar 24, 2014
Visit site

As far as I know Nokia still owns Nokia Research.. So they still have some engineers and designers, maybe they'll get to design phones now that the mobile division is Microsoft's. Then the production can be outsourced like Apple does with Foxconn.

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
If we're lucky then Nokia will create both Android and WPs. I still wouldn't buy them though. The engineers and designers work at Microsoft now. This new Nokia device will likely be comprised of off the shelf parts tossed into a handset with little design. But that's not my biggest concern. My biggest concern is that, pre-Elop, Nokia's management was running that company into the ground. They had no idea how to advance against Apple and Google. Now those guys are back in charge. Why should I think those guys will do any better?

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
If we're lucky then Nokia will create both Android and WPs. I still wouldn't buy them though. The engineers and designers work at Microsoft now. This new Nokia device will likely be comprised of off the shelf parts tossed into a handset with little design. But that's not my biggest concern. My biggest concern is that, pre-Elop, Nokia's management was running that company into the ground. They had no idea how to advance against Apple and Google. Now those guys are back in charge. Why should I think those guys will do any better?

Because Nokia at one point was rather good (prior to Elop) and the simple fact that most smartphones are created by 'off the shelf' parts. Don't go thinking the management in Finland hasn't learned anything. Did you see the N1? I think they'll take a cautious approach. I don't see them being the 'old' Nokia. I'd only expect 2-3 models and if they're smart that's all they should make.

The only design of most phones is the shell and how to fit the parts into it. Yes, that includes the circuit design but not the parts. What Nokia needs to concentrate on is UI for any phone and preferably using their strong points of camera and sound. They had great sound products pre Lumias. Not sure what happened there.

Dusan Randj

Jul 10, 2014
Visit site
As far as I know Nokia still owns Nokia Research.. So they still have some engineers and designers, maybe they'll get to design phones now that the mobile division is Microsoft's. Then the production can be outsourced like Apple does with Foxconn.

Great, if that Research isn't supposed to work on wireless and other stuff Nokia do. It would actually be pretty great if they follow Apple model.

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
Because Nokia at one point was rather good (prior to Elop) and the simple fact that most smartphones are created by 'off the shelf' parts. Don't go thinking the management in Finland hasn't learned anything. Did you see the N1? I think they'll take a cautious approach. I don't see them being the 'old' Nokia. I'd only expect 2-3 models and if they're smart that's all they should make.

The only design of most phones is the shell and how to fit the parts into it. Yes, that includes the circuit design but not the parts. What Nokia needs to concentrate on is UI for any phone and preferably using their strong points of camera and sound. They had great sound products pre Lumias. Not sure what happened there.

Near the end, before they brought in Elop, Nokia was a mess. Once iOS/Android gained traction, Nokia smartphones lost ground fast. Like BlackBerry fast. Then there was the mess of operating systems. Symbian, MeeGo and Maemo were way too many operating systems to juggle. Elop even said that Nokia needed MeeGo out years before it was released and that they focused on the dumb-phone market for far too long. Nokia wasn't ready for the ecosystem war due to a lack of forward thinking. IMO, it will be interesting if Nokia has learned from their mistakes. And yes, I've seen the N1. It seems very "me too," IMO.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bradhism