Nokia Lumia 830 vs Apple iPhone 6

bo_woods

Aug 14, 2014
Visit site
Yes it is. otherwise people wouldn't be buying it.

People who are willing to buy the IPhone bearing its cost in mind are not comparing it with the 830.​​ i would at least expect them to compare it to the 930.

It is like saying is the Mercedes S class 3 times better than a BMW 5 series. well...those two products are not even competitors.​

We have to compare the S class with a 7 series, that's when we start to make sense.​

OP even wants feedback comparing the 640 XL with the IPhone 6....... :S​

But the reason why this discussion is relevant is because apple has once again made a device marketed to comptete in the high end spectrum, but has midrange internals making it comparable to the 830

Harrie-S

Retired Ambassador
Sep 26, 2014
Visit site

People who are willing to buy the IPhone bearing its cost in mind are not comparing it with the 830.​​ i would at least expect them to compare it to the 930.

It is like saying is the Mercedes S class 3 times better than a BMW 5 series. well...those two products are not even competitors.​

We have to compare the S class with a 7 series, that's when we start to make sense.​

Indeed comparisons have to be fare.
But it's more then the spec alone. The big big advantage of Apple is the "brand name" they have (earned) compared with Microsoft.
I am sure if the 930 hardware was in the iphone 6 and the Iphone 6 hardware in the 930 . The Iphone (with 930 hardware) would still be sold much more more.
We (or I at least) have to admire the status a Iphone has in the mobile land.

Edit:
And for the longer version see below post.😃

Last edited:

Zachary Boddy

Staff member
Aug 3, 2014
www.windowscentral.com

The only people who are comparing the iPhone 6 to the Lumia 830, here, right now. 99% of people who own an iPhone have never even heard of the Nokia Lumia 830 and if they had given it a chance I guarantee a large portion of them would be more satisfied with the Lumia 830.
The reason Apple has such a large fan base is marketing, and timing. They came in at the right time and spent billions on getting the iPhone out there and rested a fan base who would die for Apple. Samsung did the same thing, and although their fans aren't as sheep-like, they were more successful market-share-wise.
I've used both phones, and I firmly believe the Lumia 830 is the better phone. If the iPhone 6 was priced closer to the Lumia 830, it would be a harder battle. So of course they can be compared, because the Lumia 830 honestly can compete with the iPhone 6 in a lot of ways.
Design wise, it's a matter of opinion. I prefer the warmer, sturdier feeling of the Lumia 830, but I quite like the iPhone 6's curves. I don't like the little camera hump on the iPhone, though. I think the camera housing is way nicer on the Lumia 830.
Camera wise, I think the Lumia 830 edges out just a little. The iPhone 6 is faster giving it some points but I've compared both myself and the Lumia 830 is more detailed and deals with lighting way better. And, of course, the Lumia 830 has OIS, which a phone nearly twice as expensive does not, and never has (excluding the Plus). Features, the iPhone 6 is a little better, but the Lumia 830 has some awesome features like Rich Capture and Lumia Camera can only get better. Also, audio recording is better on the Lumia 830. Oh, and you can't forget the two-stage shutter button. That's INCREDIBLY useful.
Performance is the one area the iPhone wins hands down. Sorry, 830, but your Snapdragon 400 is found in phones Hal YOUR price. It's good enough, but not as good as it should've been. The iPhone's A8 is way ahead here.
Screen wise, the iPhone 6 is just a bit ahead. It has a higher resolution, and slightly better color calibration, but the Lumia 830 still has a great screen that can at least compare to the iPhone 6, and wins some bonus points for being able to fit a 5inch screen into a body nearly the same size as an iPhone 6 (those top and bottom bezels are just huge on iPhones).
Software...I think the Lumia 830 wins hands down. Yes this is my opinion, and I know that iPhones have better support and more features, but I can't stand the restrictive nature of iOS and I hate iTunes. So here, for me, the Lumia 830 wins.
Extra features...Lumia 830 again. It has NFC and Bluetooth, same as the iPhone, but also has microSD card support, wireless charging, and a removable battery. And why none of these are strictly necessary, someone will always find them useful and important.
In the end, the Lumia 830 wins. If the iPhone 6 was in a similar price range, it might be a tie or honestly the iPhone 6 would probably win. But they're not, the iPhone is twice the price. In that aspect, the Lumia 830 kicks its sodding teeth in.

FinancialP

Jan 9, 2013
Visit site
The reason Apple has such a large fan base is marketing, and timing. They came in at the right time and spent billions on getting the iPhone out there and rested a fan base who would die for Apple. Samsung did the same thing, and although their fans aren't as sheep-like, they were more successful market-share-wise.

Im pretty sure if it was only marketing and timing, people would've stopped using it and buying by now. If you're really being honest you'd notice there are alternatives in the market.

I'm more to the conclusion that the iPhone is actually a good product, and people aren't just sheep because people on the internet say so. Maybe, just maybe, people actually like the iPhone?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Harrie-S

Retired Ambassador
Sep 26, 2014
Visit site
Im pretty sure if it was only marketing and timing, people would've stopped using it and buying by now. If you're really being honest you'd notice there are alternatives in the market.

I'm more to the conclusion that the iPhone is actually a good product, and people aren't just sheep because people on the internet say so. Maybe, just maybe, people actually like the iPhone?

Off course a Iphone is a good phone and people like it.
These things are never black or white.
But that does not make it the "best" deal for your money. (Or maybe better it is not the best deal for everybody's money)

And per definition fanboys and girls are partly blind. Actual you have to be partly blind to be to be a fan. 😃

raycpl

Apr 6, 2013
Visit site
Hold this thought: ... People who bought 830s probably have held/used an iPhone. People who bought iPhones probably have not held a 830. I know its a hyperbolic generalisation but unfortunately true ...

FinancialP

Jan 9, 2013
Visit site
Off course a Iphone is a good phone and people like it.
These things are never black or white.
But that does not make it the "best" deal for your money. (Or maybe better it is not the best deal for everybody's money)

And per definition fanboys and girls are partly blind. Actual you have to be partly blind to be to be a fan.

I never mentioned best. I was simply pointing out your use of the word "sheep" and you stating "the only reason" because of "marketing and timing" as if those are the only reasons.

Harrie-S

Retired Ambassador
Sep 26, 2014
Visit site
I never mentioned best. I was simply pointing out your use of the word "sheep" and you stating "the only reason" because of "marketing and timing" as if those are the only reasons.

Actual I did not use the word sheep or stated that marketing and timing was the only reason. (that was another one).

And I used " " for best.

And as I stated a fan is a fan and supports his "club"

FinancialP

Jan 9, 2013
Visit site
Actual I did not use the word sheep or stated that marketing and timing was the only reason. (that was another one).

And I used " " for best.

And as I stated a fan is a fan and supports his "club"

You're right. That's my bad.

Also, I'm no fan of anything. I just purchase whatever fits my needs. So there's that b

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site

You got it. And to carry that through, timing is probably only part of the reason WP has not caught on. I know this is heresy here, but the OS and its ecosystem are still not up to the task of rivaling iOS and Android, at least not until W10 is released. Even that is assuming that W10 is going to be everything it is advertised to be. A good looking and different UI is not as important as the ecosystem, to put it simply.

Zachary Boddy

Staff member
Aug 3, 2014
www.windowscentral.com

Of course there's alternatives and of course people like the iPhone! The marketing is what got people hooked on the iPhone and from there they only bought iPhones.
Take a look at the battle between last years Android flagships, the Samsung Galaxy S5 and the HTC One M8. The One M8 was commonly tagged as the far superior phone (excluding camera) by critics, but commercially the S5 was the better phone. Why? Because of marketing.
Just because the iPhone is one of the best selling phones out there doesn't make it the best. There are alternatives, and some of those alternatives are better. That's one reason why Android has 80% of the market. A large part of it is budget devices, and the other part is because people found they liked Android more than iOS, and the same goes with Windows. My family is a Samsung family (excluding my father who owns an iPhone 6, iPad 2 and Windows laptop), yet my mother agrees that Windows is a great OS and when she had a Lumia 520 she enjoyed it a lot. The only person in this family who's strictly against Windows is my grandmother, who's all Android (she replaced her iPhone 6--which she hated--with a Moto X).
Even my grandfather, who hates Windows 8.1, is really excited about Windows 10.
My point is, just because iPhones are the best sellers doesn't make them the best option. They have the marketing and the fan base so they're nearly unstoppable. But if people actually used Windows Phones I guarantee a large portion would prefer it over iOS. Even if they used "cheaper" hardware like the Lumia 830. I went from iOS to Windows and I'd never go back.

denzilla

Dec 27, 2012
Visit site

No offense, but I believe you're giving people too much credit.

BSobotta

Jan 23, 2013
Visit site
I have both. I am a WP fan, so I choose the 830 when ever I can. The iPhone is nice, but just not for me. I think it really comes down to preference of OS and App needs. That being said. I have never used the iPhone because my 830 was missing a feature.

Krystianpants

Sep 2, 2014
Visit site
My friend has an iphone 6. Here's the unbiased scoop which we both agreed upon.

The camera of the 830 is better.
The larger screen on the 830 and the ips clearback makes the screen look much nicer.
The UI is a matter of preference. You try it out at Microsoft store and Apple store.
The apps are much better on the iphone. This is obviously a huge thing. You can find a lot of apps on the lumia but it may not even be an original. Though things are starting to pick up since the Windows 10 build stuff. Especially in the area of gaming.
Power wise, the Iphone 6 definitely wins. Example is we both play minion Rush. On the Lumia 830 I get skipping. I have to turn off the wifi and it helps but it will still stutter once in a blue moon.
The Lumia 830 looks pretty good with the black plate which comes with every colour. I do however think that the iphone 6 is a better looking phone if you don't add any cases or other stuff to it. I don't have a case on my lumia so it looks nice. It's only fallen a couple of times but survived with no scratches.

My opinion is if you can get the 6+ go with that. 640XL is pretty ugly. But that's just my opinion.
The iphone's are always pricier but they do have a certain fashion statement behind them.

Michael Alan Goff

Jan 15, 2012
Visit site
But the reason why this discussion is relevant is because apple has once again made a device marketed to comptete in the high end spectrum, but has midrange internals making it comparable to the 830

Midrange is now having the second best GPU of 2014, losing only to the one found in the K1? Or how about having the highest single core score of 2014? The A8 beats out the 801, which is the chip in the 930/Icon/1520. The biggest problem I'm finding is the 1GB of RAM. It's okay for the competition to have better hardware sometimes. Microsoft will likely have a winner whenever they decide to actually make a flagship.

michail71

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
Specs and benchmarks don't make the entire product. Apple doesn't go cutting edge but they sure are polished.

If you are hooked on Airplay, facetime, iChat and iPrint there isn't a single thing on the market that comes close, except for previous generation iPhones. All that stuff just works.

However, in Windows 10 for Phones I did see an option to print from Office and it did see my printer -- interesting.

rambo47

Mar 28, 2005
Visit site
This is silly. Apples/Oranges comparisons are flame bait at best. The iPhone is a flagship device in a monstrously successful ecosystem while the Lumia 830 is a mid-range device in an ecosystem still trying to become relevant. WP is a great mobile OS, but comparing it to iOS is insane. We all know what sells phones: APPS. There is little room for further discussion IMHO when you compare the two platforms on this basis.

realwarder

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
Specs and benchmarks don't make the entire product. Apple doesn't go cutting edge but they sure are polished.

If you are hooked on Airplay, facetime, iChat and iPrint there isn't a single thing on the market that comes close, except for previous generation iPhones. All that stuff just works.

However, in Windows 10 for Phones I did see an option to print from Office and it did see my printer -- interesting.

Miracast works fine. I agree that Skype is still quite buggy and needs making robust - Facetime just works whereas Skype mostly works. And as you said, mobile printing to some printers is almost here. Give Windows another year and I think things will look more comparable.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss