Do people really like Windows Phone less than BlackBerry?

final_fantasy781

Mar 17, 2014
Visit site
I read an article that stated Windows Phone had the worst user experience, even under BlackBerry. It also stated - and this should be no surprise - that iOS and Android were at the very top rated

I wasn't sure if they used an older phone or OS version, or maybe the user couldn't download their favorite app for testing. Either way, it was quite surprising to read Windows Phone is one of the lowest.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
I've moved this thread to the Phone Wars forum, since it is not a topic that is related to urgent help with a particular device. Please see this link.

I really don't think there is any way to tell which platform is liked or disliked more on a objective basis. Like and dislike will always be subjective.

Guytronic

Ambassador Team Leader
Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
I believe Microsoft Mobile is failing to show it's ever faithful followers a superhighway of growth.
The trickle of any new device or OS improvements has been nothing more than promises.

Remember what Mr. Nadella said when he took over Microsoft?
“Our industry does not respect tradition – it only respects innovation.”

This whole Windows debacle reminds of the old sign over the bar in a tavern I used to frequent:
"Free beer tomorrow!"

Ed YANG

Jan 18, 2014
Visit site
I am a BB user... but that's only during the regular workdays.
WinPhones are my wekend sidekicks.

Several days ago... i made a reply to a thread posted by a WP user who is considering jumping into the BB pool.
Here's my reply on the comparison of 2 OSese to the OP for your reference...
... ... I am partially a WP user. During work days from monday till friday, i will often be carrying 3 BBs along, one sim-less 9860, a Z10 with personal line, and lastly a Z3 with company's sim.

U.I. wise, i would say BB OS10 is slightly better than WP tilings.
Currently with 10.3.1 there will be a activity page when you swipe from idle screensaver. Here you can see what are the apps or functions that are in idle or in process. WP wise, you can only see the activated functions or apps executing in the background by press and hold the back icon. What BB provides here, is a quick access to the executed apps or to kill the process immediately. WP access and closing is an additional step to go.
Organizing and grouping of apps and functions i a tad bit different from both OSes. Yes, both can group common stuffs/apps into a file by press and hold an icon and moving it to another. For WP, this is only possible when you have created a shortcut on the quick access front page. For BB, such categorization can be done straight into the apps/function page by swiping from right to left. However there's another added categorizing trick which i employed on all my OS10 BB. That's by press and hold apps/funtion icon, and keep shifting to the new page which will be automatically created when i come to a new page. Compare to others, i have 4 pages of function access, grouped as according to Call and Connection, Media and Albums, Social Medias, and Miscellaneous tools. This is something which WP don't have, and perhaps not that an issue to minimalists...

General usage pattern, both OSes have their plus and minuses...
When click on the dialer icon, both OS shares the same issue for no ease of access to dial pad. On the BB, it goes straight to the recent calls log, while in WP, you face the rapid dial short cut, slide to the next page for the call log. For BB to access the dial pad, you'll have to click the short cut at the bottom right corner, while you have to look at the bottom of the WP screen for the dial pad access. BB's OS5 and OS7 allows us to customize where the function goes when th dialer icon was clicked. So, both WP and BB is not so... senior friendly especially to those who're not so "smart phone" savvy.

On both OS, after you have keyed a mobile number on the dial pad, you cannot go further like immediate SMS/MMS except dialing or saving of number into contact record. BB OS5 nd OS7 have such straight option to do the texting or media sending function access.
Texting and sending to multiple parties is about the same on both OSes. However, BB have a slighter winning edge for able to access contacts stored in the SIM card. There's no way you can send to a SIM contact thru WP.

It's a totally different experience you get from 2 OS when it comes to phonebook access. On WP, you may have quick access to contact by pressing on the alphabet, and all 26 alphabets displayed as short cuts. In BB, it's swiping and swiping up and down or keying of 1st or 2 or 3 of the characters of the contact for precise locating. However, BB have a slight winning edge over WP. You can choose to display either phone contact, sim contact, or both. In WP, we're stuck with just phone contact. The only way when we can access SIM contact, is by copying contact information from the SIM to phone. Privacy on contact exposure is quite weak if one misplaces his WP phone.

Onto the hardware... WP phones can be equally par with BBs... only if BBs' software are polished as good as WP.
If i'm to put both the LEAD and a perhaps a 830 together, the LEAD will be outshined by the LUMIA. At this price point, there's no need to bring out the Lumia 830 or even 930, just a new 640 will get attentions from gamers and shooters. BB's are not good with gaming, so as photography.
In photography, BB will tend to looses out to WP as well as Android makes which are backed with camera designed software to yield better capturing results. However, no matter is it a Lumia or a BB, in the setup, we cannot choose to tone down the pixel size. When it's 8mpx, it's 8mpx, fixed. To send a picture as an corporate email attachment which is only acceptable with limited file size, you will have to crop the captured image to a smaller size file. This is why i often carry an additional 9860 along, which i can set captured image into smaller file size without the need for post cropping. I can do macro shots on electronic components which i handled as well, OS10 just can't get the micro images clear no matter how i zoomed or shoot under strong light. WP have macro shots functionality in the settings, but the image capture will still be in a large file size. Not really that friendly in corporate mail exchange environment as well...
In gaming, when you do a search in youtube with various BB models, you'll see that some simple games are playable. Graphic intensive ones glows a little with WP makes, but suffers lots of image drops with BB models. I don't know does it have to do with smaller foot print with Win8.1 with 1GB ram. I just wouldn't expect the LEAP to play OverKill FPS as smooth as my weekender Lumia640 does.
Web browsing experience is much better on BB browser, when compared to WP's IE. When we opened alot of tabs with BB browser, a click to the bottom left on the search bar, slides out the shortcuts to the tabs which we opened for instant access. We're often brought to the new tab page with IE of WP, that it's kind of frustrating that we often have to click the tab page to choose the tab we're previously in... duh... I might as well install either Chrome or FireFox into WP for slightly better browsing experience.

Last but not least... Apps Apps Apps~~~
While Microsft apps market is growing with options, BB gets the boost with side loading capability with Android's .apk apps. While side loading of apps is smooth with the current OS10.3.1, there will be a little few that will not be compatible with the hidden Android system in BBOS. ... ...

My weekend sidekicks are the latest 640LTE... one with Orange case another with Black.

LockOnTech

May 3, 2014
Visit site
If this is plausible, I should be seeing more blackberries in consumer's hands. If this is true I wouldn't be using a windows phone, I use to own a couple of blackberries so I am more than likely say that the article is optimistic.

noersetiawan

Jun 27, 2014
Visit site
Yes. Depends on where you live but here, BB10 is the next favorites after the obvious IOS and Android because: 1) BBM, 2) It's a Blackberry, 3) Price, 4) Apps, 5) No one ever heard of WP/Lumia/Microsoft

Guytronic

Ambassador Team Leader
Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
The windows UI in my opinion is very elegant.
It's appeal should be universally accepted among smartphone newbies old to young.

Initially I was very attracted to Windows on a phone.
Microsoft has made some very puzzling moves with it's mobile OS of late.
Following Microsoft Mobile has become a game that is no longer fun or interesting.
I'm really hopeful Microsoft's efforts start to mean something for the faithful in the coming months...

aximtreo

Jul 14, 2008
Visit site
I'm seeing more and more similar topic postings like Guytronic's and others regarding the shotgun approach MS is showing in the WP arena. You won't find a more dedicated WP user than I am. I go way back to early Windows Mobile days through the latest WP 10 release. Each evolution of the Windows OS for phones has achieved about 80% completion and then on to the next version leaving many wondering what in the hell is MS thinking. I'm at that point now.

Next generation of phones are already beginning to leak out when the present generation is still incomplete OS wise. By the time new stuff comes out, we start the learning curve all over again. I recently stated here that the RTM of the Windows 10 OS is only 7 weeks from being released and if it's not better than the latest Insider releases, MS is in deep doo doo.

I don't have the answer but I have a few thoughts.

Stop releasing Insider releases that are not ready for some semblance of prime time. Release 10030 so destroyed my 6 month old Dell 7700 laptop tht I had to do a clean 8.1 reinstall. Will not upgrade to the RTM until I have a warm feeling that it's in a state that won't dictate that do a clean install again for a while.

Stop this carrier specific model crap. If the 940 is next, release it with the LTE bands inside for CDMA, AT&T, T-Mobile, etc. so all carriers have the same radio bands.

Make the hardware capabilities equal from carrier to carrier. That would mean the the carrier with the best WP support would be the carrier one goes with. Not the carrier that has a green button versus a red one and have to make decisions based on stupid carrier builds of the same Model #.

Gotta stop her, really getting pissed the more I write. Politics and computer industry are very similar; little to no common sense in decisions being made.

Whew!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
Totally different OSes for different clientele. The newest BlackBerrys have the square display which makes it easier to read emails, spreadsheets, etc. but not for viewing videos. I could go on but it's pointless. Those who need a work-oriented device will give BlackBerry a 2nd glance. Those who want a media consumption device will probably look toward WP.

As for liking one UI over the other, it really depends what your previous experience has been. For 1st timers, there will be a learning curve regardless, so you can't really say one is more intuitive than the other. I like them all. They all have something to offer and we should concentrate more on strengths than bash any particular weaknesses.

crystal_planet

Jul 6, 2012
Visit site
I believe Microsoft Mobile is failing to show it's ever faithful followers a superhighway of growth.
The trickle of any new device or OS improvements has been nothing more than promises.

Remember what Mr. Nadella said when he took over Microsoft?
“Our industry does not respect tradition – it only respects innovation.”

This whole Windows debacle reminds of the old sign over the bar in a tavern I used to frequent:
"Free beer tomorrow!"

Well said.

Windows Phone doesn't know what it wants to be when it grows up. That and coupled with the fact that Microsoft apps are better on competing platforms than on its own tells me all I need to know about how much they care about their own base.

I just moved over to Android and was furious on how much better the OneDrive app is on Android (among others)

Ed YANG

Jan 18, 2014
Visit site
The current user experience on Windows is still not perfect as the OS lacks the kind of basic features which i had listed out above. There's always pros and cons of such limitation, hence, i won't use Win8.1(@ least at current stage) phones as workdays sidekicks.

grahamf

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
Blackberry 10 is a lot more feature-complete compared to Windows 10. Blackberry had spent many years adding tiny little efficiency improvements to their old BBOS, and when they switched to BB10 they did their very best to bring as many over as they could.

Buuuut: Windows phone has the apps I need while BB10 won't even run the Android version.

That's pretty much all I've come up with so far.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos