Android M vs. Windows 10 mobile

pureview_lvr

Jun 18, 2015
Visit site
Best and worst things about both os.
Although both are technical previews.
but still what is your opinion on it.
And which things still you want in windows 10.

LindaFan

Jun 15, 2015
Visit site
Android Mobile Phones in Pakistan are still on top and sales are on peak. As we know that Microsoft 'Bill Gates' has been take over the Nokia and he is trying to make a something new for break the android market but still now i didn't see anything in the market so let's the time decide.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
I've moved this thread to the Phone Wars forum.

Please keep in mind the Community Rules. No name calling, personal attacks or flame baiting will be tolerated.

Friendly reminder folks.........
[INFO]
P.U.P.P.A.H
(Be Polite, Understanding, Patient, Professional, Attentive and Helpful)

• Be polite. We ask that you keep your language clean and polite.
  • Be understanding and patient. You may be a power user or developer, but the person you’re talking to on the other end may be a complete newbie. Be patient, and provide all details possible if you’re posting about a problem (descriptive thread title always helps).
  • Be a pro. Don’t get into arguments over dumb things. If someone responds in a poor or rude fashion, ignore it. If you notice a pattern of rude or poor behavior from a particular member, report them to our moderators. If you don’t have anything nice to say, don’t say anything at all. In a nutshell, ‘think before you post’.
  • Be attentive and helpful. Answer questions in a timely manner when you can, and provide thoughts and suggestions that might lead to the solution of a members’ problem.
[/INFO]

Zachary Boddy

Staff member
Aug 3, 2014
www.windowscentral.com
Android M is basically Google going "Lollipop was so buggy it was essentially an ant hive, so here's Android M." It doesn't bring much in the way of design or features but is mostly about performance and security.
If Microsoft has any intelligence whatsoever, Windows 10 Mobile will not face the same issues as Lollipop.

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
Android M's Best thing: I guess the fact it has a lot of apps

Worst thing: It's Android

Windows 10 best things: I like a lot of the new features

Windows 10 worst thing: It's design looks too android/IOS like.

Angry_Mushroom

Jan 18, 2013
Visit site
They both promise to bring much to the table. Android M is supposed to help battery life along while Windows 10M is supposed to finally bring Windows on par with Android and iOS in terms of features. We'll see if either brings their hype to bear on the general marketplace. I have high expectations for both seeing as how I daily drive a G3 right now. Windows 10 I will watch closely to see if it can get me to switch back.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
This is my assessment of the OS, not any particular device.

Android: Tons of features that none of the current major OSes have. Problem is they're features that were around 7-8 years ago and are only marginally better than they were on WinMo or Symbian.
Android: As a whole, they have a lot of work to do to be as refined as the others. There's no pretty way to say it, Android is very rough around the edges.

Windows: Still playing catch up in terms of apps and features.
Windows: What clean and polished looks like in today's mobile world.

Wbutchart1

Feb 20, 2015
Visit site
From a discussion I was having yesterday, an android user was speaking about Google working on performance so that older devices may get upgraded by manufacturers and not just the brand new ones. Yet, when I told him the specs of my 535 and that it is running windows 10, and showed him it running he was somewhat stunned, android couldn't do that he said. So when it comes to performance I think 10 is winning, althrough I have never used any android phone much less 'm' so I'm working from second hand info.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
From a discussion I was having yesterday, an android user was speaking about Google working on performance so that older devices may get upgraded by manufacturers and not just the brand new ones. Yet, when I told him the specs of my 535 and that it is running windows 10, and showed him it running he was somewhat stunned, android couldn't do that he said. So when it comes to performance I think 10 is winning, althrough I have never used any android phone much less 'm' so I'm working from second hand info.

Some of these performance claims are anecdotal. I've yet to see it in real world use. I've had many devices, both high end and low end, running both WP and Android. I've not seen it.

In fact, I've not seen it even claimed anywhere besides fan sites like this one. Are there any scientific performance tests that show a marked difference between the two?

Wbutchart1

Feb 20, 2015
Visit site
S
Some of these performance claims are anecdotal. I've yet to see it in real world use. I've had many devices, both high end and low end, running both WP and Android. I've not seen it.

In fact, I've not seen it even claimed anywhere besides fan sites like this one. Are there any scientific performance tests that show a marked difference between the two?
I have no clue, as I said I have never even unlocked an android phone let alone got a comment on lag. The guys was speaking with is a professional coder, he said don't look at anything less than snapdragon 400 for android. I have the 200 in the 535 and no issues at this time on win 10.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site

Android lag is real, not imagined. I've never put a stopwatch to it but the hiccups do exist and they usually rear their ugly heads after 1-2 months without a reboot. It's no secret that Android's resource management is inferior compared to other OSes. It's got nothing to do with being a forked Linux OS because webOS is also forked Linux and I never had any issues. For being a real-time OS, BlackBerry OS10 is stable as Gibraltar and we all know how stable WP is. Let's not confuse lag with the "resume" quirk since a WP device is fully functional while in "resuming" mode. When an Android lags, there is a brief moment of total unresponsiveness while the hamsters spool up the wheels. My G3 hit the 2 month mark this 4th of July weekend. How'd I spend my July 5th hangover? Re-flashing the factory KitKat firmware because it was a beautiful white paperweight after updating to Lollipop.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
Android lag is real, not imagined. I've never put a stopwatch to it but the hiccups do exist and they usually rear their ugly heads after 1-2 months without a reboot. It's no secret that Android's resource management is inferior compared to other OSes. It's got nothing to do with being a forked Linux OS because webOS is also forked Linux and I never had any issues. For being a real-time OS, BlackBerry OS10 is stable as Gibraltar and we all know how stable WP is. Let's not confuse lag with the "resume" quirk since a WP device is fully functional while in "resuming" mode. When an Android lags, there is a brief moment of total unresponsiveness while the hamsters spool up the wheels. My G3 hit the 2 month mark this 4th of July weekend. How'd I spend my July 5th hangover? Re-flashing the factory KitKat firmware because it was a beautiful white paperweight after updating to Lollipop.

I do not see where I said that Android doesn't lag. Of course it does. So does every other OS. The discussion here is Android (M) vs. WP (Windows 10 mobile). What I said is that it has not been proven that Android is slower than WP on the same hardware.

We have the perfect device to test performance on: the HTC One M8. I still can hardly believe that we cannot find reviews where someone has taken two M8s, one with WP and one with Android, and performed real world tests.

Anyway, this subject has been discussed ad nauseam. I doubt this discussion is necessary anymore! :angel:

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
What I said is that it has not been proven that Android is slower than WP on the same hardware.

My bad for misunderstanding but how can M and 10 be compared on the same device if neither one exists yet? I get the M8 reference but that would be comparing KitKat and 8.1.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
My bad for misunderstanding but how can M and 10 be compared on the same device if neither one exists yet? I get the M8 reference but that would be comparing KitKat and 8.1.

Yeah you're correct; I did stretch that a bit. But the discussion had somewhat morphed into our current world as we know it.

I can tell you one thing about the 2 specific OS's as they are now though: Android M preview is much more stable than W10M preview! I've been using a Nexus 6 with the official M preview on it for the last month, active on Project Fi. It performs with absolutely no flaws. In fact, I would have had no clue I was using a preview, except the MLB At Bat app didn't work. I guess you could call that a flaw, but it's probably more due to the app not being compatible with M. I've seen that with the At Bat app on previous OS updates.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
Yeah you're correct; I did stretch that a bit. But the discussion had somewhat morphed into our current world as we know it.

I can tell you one thing about the 2 specific OS's as they are now though: Android M preview is much more stable than W10M preview! I've been using a Nexus 6 with the official M preview on it for the last month, active on Project Fi. It performs with absolutely no flaws. In fact, I would have had no clue I was using a preview, except the MLB At Bat app didn't work. I guess you could call that a flaw, but it's probably more due to the app not being compatible with M. I've seen that with the At Bat app on previous OS updates.
I sure hope M is better than Lollipop. 5.0 is to Android what Millennium Edition was to Windows. At least Vista with SP2 was awesome but I digress. Just goes to show you that no one is immune to a garbage release (iOS 8, Symbian Anna).

Sent from my LG G3 via Tapatalk

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
I sure hope M is better than Lollipop. 5.0 is to Android what Millennium Edition was to Windows. At least Vista with SP2 was awesome but I digress. Just goes to show you that no one is immune to a garbage release (iOS 8, Symbian Anna).

Sent from my LG G3 via Tapatalk
I've not had many issues with Lollipop, but 99% of my experience with it has been with Nexus devices (Nexus 5, 6, and both versions of 7). I know there have been lots of complaints though.

Really, I've never had big problems with any OS, that is, until the W10 previews, both desktop and mobile. I have not had good success with either of those. But otherwise, I've been fine with every OS I've used. That includes Windows ME and Vista. I've been known to declare my appreciation for both of those!

Sent from whatever device I happen to be using today using Tapatalk

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3