Android downside?

mikepalma

Apr 16, 2015
Visit site
Now w Cortana and so many MS services on Android is there a major downside to switching to Android? I like live tiles and the fluidity of WP though. But not sure if those outweigh the upsides. They even have a OneNote and OneDrive app for Android wear, which I can unbelievably not use on the Band....

More flagships and apps too. I don't have much experience with Android and appreciate guidance

gpobernardo

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site
Security vulnerability is one concern, and then there's the inflation of the file system which eventually causes the Android phone to slow down - that's the reason why those phones are equipped with so many cores (who needs an octa-core phone? Would anyone be supercomputing some molecular surface?)

Then, since there are a lot of Android users and since it is relatively easier to code for Android, there are a lot of apps in the store. While that may sound enticing, most of the apps are actually clutter-ware. There are some official apps that are not available for Windows Phones, but try searching for a specific app for a specific function and you'll eventually find yourself faced with a lot of poorly-built apps.

But the main issue could be security. Microsoft and Apple have worked on improving the security of their devices hardware (for Microsoft and iPhones) and software level (as in the case for the Nokia Lumias and other non Lumia Windows Phones). Haven't heard much about the security in Android devices.

k72

Jul 23, 2014
Visit site
In my experience, my Windows phone has been easier to use, works much more smoothly (even though I have a low ram phone), and I feel like it's easier and more effective to choose which apps I want to run in the background. The phone just feels more efficient all around. Last night this was really brought to light when I helped a friend set up her Samsung Alpha to save battery and data for an international trip she's going on. I have noticed that Samsung seems to make things even more convoluted, and sure enough... Her phone had no quick setting to turn off mobile data. It seems minor, but she didn't realize that she could turn it off and I had to hunt for where to do so. Then there were the extra apps she's never used. All but one of them couldn't be uninstalled because they came with the phone. Windows phones come with built in apps too, but they're things like storage, office, etc, not gimmicky third party apps. I had to show her how to go deep into the settings to disable these apps. I like having a phone that doesn't take all that work to use effectively.

mikepalma

Apr 16, 2015
Visit site
Thanks, I hope MS strategy doesn't backfire by offering the good stuff Like Cortana to Android and Apple...it will be easier to leave

Guytronic

Ambassador Team Leader
Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
Did u switch? What windows device did u have and what Android did u get?

I have 2 Android phones:
The Xperia Z1s and the Asus ZenFone 2

I also use the Lumia 640.
The 640 replaced my 925 which I still have.

Posted from the ZenFone2 via the WC app for Android

mary beth hale

Mar 13, 2013
Visit site
Phones should assist (with) and enhance our lives. I use an LG G2 for work. My personal use phone is a 930. Both of these phones contribute to my productivity in different ways. It's all about suiting our specific needs. Windows Phone is the undisputed winner for me, but that doesn't negate the value of my Android phone. Here's a suggestion, though...ban the term "LagDroid". So ridiculously inaccurate and tiresome.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
Here's a suggestion, though...ban the term "LagDroid". So ridiculously inaccurate and tiresome.

People equate "lag" with the Androids of old like FroYo and Gingerbread. The problem hasn't gone away entirely but there is no OS that is immune to some form of lag or "resuming". The phenomenon is no different than the perception of Windows PCs being virus-infected bots. This old laptop I'm on is 6 years old and I've never had an anti-virus program on it. AVPs choke performance, that's an absolute. I'd rather practice safe browsing habits and enjoy my machine's design performance. The same could be said with phones. When custom ROMs were all the rage a few years ago you'd have less than optimal Android devices running amok. Matias Duarte stepped in and cleaned up the mess that was Android and now you see a much more stable OS delivered from the factory. Windows has always been about smoothness but I'm afraid that as the system grows, you'll see some of that "special sauce" be sacrificed in favor of pleasing the masses. I like what they've done with 10 for PC but I'm not sold on 10M just yet.

But back to your original suggestion, I agree that LagDroid, iCrap and all the rest should be relegated to the virtual dumpster.

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Is the lag worse than the "resuming" on WP 8.1?

In both cases, depends on the phone.

I found resuming to be better on an 930 and 830 than my 920.
I've had an old Android (on JB) had "triple-tasking" at best and didn't perform well when it did run. (It was old anyway) but I've seen friend's Galaxy S 4's or whatever handle themselves nicely. So as long as its a decent phone...

Although you can say the tradeoff could potentially be battery life as the HTC One M8 for Windows beats out the original Android M8.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
Is the lag worse than the "resuming" on WP 8.1?

It's all subjective. Was the spinning beach ball on OS X worse than than the hourglass on XP? Is Android lag or WP resuming a product of the OS or is it something related to a slow internet connection?

Most smartphones today are pretty useless without an active internet connection and if the data flow is bottlenecked, there WILL be some delay. Ten years ago mobile internet was pitiful and thus you had "disconnected" devices like Palm OS and even WinMo that were not beholden to the web. Calendar entries or contact info was synced to a PC and email was a timed event until BlackBerry convinced us all that push email was as necessary as the air we breathe. I use a Palm T/X on a daily basis and it runs perfectly on a 400 MHz processor. Yes, MEGA HERTZ! Whatever I input can wait until I sync with my PC.

​Unless you're a heart transplant surgeon, it can wait. Like the Prophet Marley sang "Don't let'm fool ya".

AkArora

Sep 24, 2013
Visit site
In both cases, depends on the phone.

I found resuming to be better on an 930 and 830 than my 920.

I am running W10M on my 830 and very surprisingly, the resuming is gone, totally. Not even an app like Skype, which used to show "Resuming" for at least 5 seconds does this anymore, just a blink, and its open. So, "resuming" can be crossed off as a problem when W10M arrives, hopefully.

ArtificiallyYours

Jul 12, 2015
Visit site
Seriously who thinks Forbes has any credibility whatsoever? In fact 'Forbes' sounds like a character in a bland newspaper comic.

What's the point in saying the smartphone market should expand if you think only Apple or Google can survive? Why generalize the market?

I have little qualms with Android Kit Kat but Lollipop absolutely blows (not calling Kit Kat perfect!), in fact I'm sure Android M is priority #1 at this point rather than rolling out Lollipop. I'm going to be getting a 4.4 device soon as I won't upgrade Android much due to Lollipop's optimization issues, I can tell more Kit Kat phones are going to release simply because Lollipop falls back on improving the fluidity of lower end handsets. It's a shame because Kit Kat will now only have the status of buffering out the glut of 2.2 and 2.3 handsets still out there, at least 4.4 won't lose its shine as fast as 2.3 Gingerbread.

adkrish22290

Jun 25, 2014
Visit site
Downsides of Lagdroid:

1. Ugly UI and apps
  2. Too much fragmentation among OEMs
  3. Lagging issues (even in 2 GB RAM devices)
  4. Heavy battery and resource hog
  5. Security problems
  6. Not user-friendly
  7. No regulatory mechanism to ensure that the proper apps are published in the Play store.
  8. Google spies on whatever a Lagdroid user does on his/her phone to satiate their greed and force their fourth-rate apps and products down their throats.

MDMcAtee

Mar 30, 2014
Visit site
Downsides of Lagdroid:

1. Ugly UI and apps
  2. Too much fragmentation among OEMs
  3. Lagging issues (even in 2 GB RAM devices)
  4. Heavy battery and resource hog
  5. Security problems
  6. Not user-friendly
  7. No regulatory mechanism to ensure that the proper apps are published in the Play store.
  8. Google spies on whatever a Lagdroid user does on his/her phone to satiate their greed and force their fourth-rate apps and products down their throats.

1. Not hardly. The UI is fully customizable. Apps come in all flavors, some are ugly, but many aren't, and let's not forget how many more are available besides all the useless ones too.

2. Yup there are a ton of different skinned Android phones for a person to choose from ,funny thing about this though.....they are available everywhere on every carrier unlike most WP.

3. This will depend entirely on the phone and the users habits and setup.

4. Again this will depend entirely on the phone and the users habits and setup.

5. Not as bad as most folks make it out to be and if common sense is used for opening attachments and staying on legitimate sites most folks never have a issue.

6. Definitely not true for many, and those who do aren't taking the time to become familiar with it.Android phones are really quite simple to set up and use and many like Samsung actually have a easy mode built right in for startup if needed.

7. No play store is entirely safe from bad apps being published, but Google has a mechanism in place to rid the phones of them if found.

8. Totally untrue. Google isn't forcing anything down my throat and you should really find out about your privacy in Win 10 and see what others are saying about it.

There is no perfect os, it's all about finding what works best for you and enjoying it.

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rogertewarte