BlackBerry Priv has the design I was looking for on WM10

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
Original nouns mean words that are not in the Wordflow, Swype dictionary.

Word prediction and correction work only with words in the dictionary. However, names cannot be in the dictionary since there are just way too many of them. It is worse if you constantly have to type and work with non-English names. I am sure other foreigners can relate.

Well, with Windows Phone, it remembers frequent entries and if you tend to make spelling mistakes far to frequently it presumes that is how you speak and lays off the auto correct (i found that out as I fumbling along when I got my 920 lol back in 2012).

Regardless having a physical keyboard will not help in this regard as after all the dictionary resides in the O/S not the keyboard :p.

anon(9630986)

Sep 3, 2015
Visit site
I still don't understand the appeal of a physical keyboard.
Maybe back when on-screen keyboards weren't as responsive, but Word Flow / Swype are definitely good.
Physical keyboards add more weight, more physical parts (more susceptible to breaking), a thicker design, and a higher cost.
I don't think that this phone is innovative in the least. What does it do that hasn't been done before?
How do you put a protective case on it?
The keyboard/touch UI is reminiscent of the Windows 8 touch/keyboard experience; and while I found the latter entirely usable, it wasn't a great experience. The keyboard and touchpad in addition to the touchscreen UI make the whole thing just redundant.

That phone isn't heavy at all. Also, you don't need to use the physical keyboard.

Lastly, swype and wordflow are a b*tch to use. Dell should make a venue pro phone again. (With continuum this time around).

anon(9630986)

Sep 3, 2015
Visit site
That device is quite stunning. Its got the professional, business feel to it, something reminds me of Thinkpads. It looks sharped but I love that curved glass that wraps the screen, which reminds me of Lumia flagships a lot (not the new 950 and 950 XL).

Now I wish someone in XDA could port W10M into it or better if Microsoft will partner with Blackberry and officially support W10M to be installed on Priv, just like what they did to Xiaomi. Best if they partner and just release Blackberry Priv with W10M on it, that would be epic.
Now if it even got Continuum would be great, but unfortunately even with W10M it might not. Not sure if there is a specific special hardware to support Continuum or just having latest Snapdragon and other SoC is enough.

It has snapdragon 808 chip. The same used in jade primo and lumia 950. The only problem is it is still using micro usb. I think usb-c is necessary for continuum with a display dock. You might get continuum to work wirelessly though.

anon(9630986)

Sep 3, 2015
Visit site
I blame the iphone for why all phones look the same. Yes thats right, I can't complain about the appearance of the new Lumias because they look the same as every other new phone out there. Yes. I can't really distinguish it from the samsung edge no matter how thin the bezel ends up being.

Kudos to Blackberry for continuing to buck the trend of all these iphone immitators. I hope the [mythical] surface phone has a physical keyboard. (At least one you can slap on and off like the surface book/surface tablets). I also hope someone will come out with a case for the lumia with a physical keyboard.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
LOL, sounds like you need to hit the weights if a slider keyboard makes a phone too heavy for you.
I actually do belong to a gym.

Not only is the extra bulk/weight unneeded for a slider that I don't want, but the price is higher due to the addition of this hardware.

I just dislike the form factor personally. If someone else likes it, that's great. It's just not something I like.

aXross

Jun 20, 2014
Visit site
It has snapdragon 808 chip. The same used in jade primo and lumia 950. The only problem is it is still using micro usb. I think usb-c is necessary for continuum with a display dock. You might get continuum to work wirelessly though.

Yeah, so in terms of performance they should pretty much the same. About the Continuum, we still don't know exactly what is the requirements for that functionality to work or some other prerequisites. USB Type-C maybe but I think it needs at least latest version of regular USB 3.0, I don't know its still bit hard to guess. Wireless is still most likely going to work, assuming Continuum really just needs latest SoC and 3GB of RAM.

aitt

Jan 23, 2013
Visit site
I actually do belong to a gym.

Not only is the extra bulk/weight unneeded for a slider that I don't want, but the price is higher due to the addition of this hardware.

I just dislike the form factor personally. If someone else likes it, that's great. It's just not something I like.

It's not anymore thicker or heavier than the 920.

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android

aitt

Jan 23, 2013
Visit site
It could be quite thick and heavy and this could still be true. :eek:rly:

It's thinner than my Zenfone 2. I don't get people honestly judging the phone and never held it. It's heavier because of the battery I guess along with better build and that's only by 30 grams maybe.

To each their own I guess. The width is smaller than the 950XL. This phone is worth it and even I spoke negative about till I owned one and don't regret it.

Holding this and playing with the 950xl before it was pulled, I think I'm more content with this purchase than what I would have done with the 950XL

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
It's thinner than my Zenfone 2. I don't get people honestly judging the phone and never held it. It's heavier because of the battery I guess along with better build and that's only by 30 grams maybe.

To each their own I guess. The width is smaller than the 950XL. This phone is worth it and even I spoke negative about till I owned one and don't regret it.

Holding this and playing with the 950xl before it was pulled, I think I'm more content with this purchase than what I would have done with the 950XL

I don't know if you took it that I was slamming the Priv, but I wasn't. What I meant is that the 920 is so thick and heavy that a phone could be thinner and lighter than the 920 and still be thick and heavy. :amaze:

I haven't yet seen the Priv in person, but so far I've heard mostly good about it, even from some BlackBerry fans. They have the beloved BB hardware (read: keyboard) with a popular OS and vibrant ecosystem. What's not to like?

aitt

Jan 23, 2013
Visit site
I don't know if you took it that I was slamming the Priv, but I wasn't. What I meant is that the 920 is so thick and heavy that a phone could be thinner and lighter than the 920 and still be thick and heavy. :amaze:

I haven't yet seen the Priv in person, but so far I've heard mostly good about it, even from some BlackBerry fans. They have the beloved BB hardware (read: keyboard) with a popular OS and vibrant ecosystem. What's not to like?

No I understand what you were saying. My point is that the 920 was an awesome and one of the best WP built, despite its thickness and weight.

So a phone shouldn't be judge on just those merits. There's so much going on inside the Priv that really makes a possible competitior. Like seriously.

Last edited:

skstrials

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site
Well, with Windows Phone, it remembers frequent entries and if you tend to make spelling mistakes far to frequently it presumes that is how you speak and lays off the auto correct (i found that out as I fumbling along when I got my 920 lol back in 2012).

Regardless having a physical keyboard will not help in this regard as after all the dictionary resides in the O/S not the keyboard :p.

Actually, the whole benefit of the physical keyboards comes from that it does not have to rely on autocorrect because physical keyboards allow people to be that much more precise with their keystrokes.

So yes, if you are typing words that auto correct cannot correct, then the physical keyboard is king.

Besides, since the auto correct mechanism looks at the whole sentence, if you mess up one word, all your subsequent words would be messed up too.

Dont take my word for it. Try it yourself. Try turning off the auto correct, and let me know how long it takes before you want to turn it on again.

On my BlackBerry Q10, I have the auto correct turned off because I have to type a lot of new names that the auto correct just does not know.

Posted via the Windows Central App for BlackBerry 10

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site

That's true. My Moto X Pure Edition is larger than my Lumia 920, but the Moto X Pure Edition is lighter.

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
Actually, the whole benefit of the physical keyboards comes from that it does not have to rely on autocorrect because physical keyboards allow people to be that much more precise with their keystrokes.

So yes, if you are typing words that auto correct cannot correct, then the physical keyboard is king.

Besides, since the auto correct mechanism looks at the whole sentence, if you mess up one word, all your subsequent words would be messed up too.

Dont take my word for it. Try it yourself. Try turning off the auto correct, and let me know how long it takes before you want to turn it on again.

On my BlackBerry Q10, I have the auto correct turned off because I have to type a lot of new names that the auto correct just does not know.

Posted via the Windows Central App for BlackBerry 10

I don't rely on auto correct anymore and rarely need it, I used to type and edit contracts on my phone :) so yeah I know what you mean.

Nothing beats a physical keyboard; I can type a lot faster with a physical keyboard as opposed to an on screen keyboard - which is not that slow in comparison as you get used to it.

onysi

Sep 18, 2011
Visit site
except that I'm hearing the software is terrible and in need of an upgrade. reviewers on youtube praises the hardware but software side is spretty bad. I really want this with windows phone. I freaking LOVED Dell Venue Pro

onysi

Sep 18, 2011
Visit site
You guys who never toyed with physical keyboard dont know the struggle when writing some paper or essay on the go. It just feels liberating to have the whole screen while typing away for a school paper. I did all of my work on dell venue pro easily. With todays phones, the keyboard takes 50% of the screen cutting away the whole screen and popping in and out keyboard constantly is annoying.

I'm bummed blackberry went android route. theyre gonnan eed all the virus scanners. We've had the pleasure of not dealing with that **** on WP. what privacy ? Shouldve gone with windows 10. Stable, and faster.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
powerupgo