Lumia 550 or 830?

GrandGerminator

Mar 13, 2014
Visit site
Hi ! I'll come back in the Windows world with a device, but at the moment I hesitate with witch one to grab. I don't want to put a lot of money, that's why I'm not thinking about the new 950 series, but to 550 or 830... Which one is the best solution?

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
Those two devices are way different, the 550 is like low end (but still solid) and the 830 is midrange. If you care about taking pictures, the 830 would be your best shot. The 550 takes decent enough pictures in daylight but in low light, it can appear very yellow. However, the 550 is a solid device for what it is. It can get things done, and serve a lot of general needs. The processor handles things well for the device. I'm not sure how much you care about physical buttons but the 830 has them, along with a camera button.

In my opinion, the camera is something that makes the biggest difference between the two.

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
In a nutshell I'd call the 830 the "good enough" high-end phone. (its just not as fast, but it hits almost all of the flagship feature points like Qi, OIS in the camera, metal frame...)

And the 550 today's budget model.

Depends on what you want and how much you can spend. At the same price I'd definitely go 830, even if it was used.

fredriks

Jan 7, 2016
Visit site
I chosed 830 and im really happy about it. It works awsome, im in the insider program so right now it runs with the latest version and it works fantastic. I use it in my work as y daily driver whitout any problem. Battery is great, I have over 65% left after a days use with a lot of phone calls and mail syncing. I highly recommend it if you don't want to spend a lot of money on a phone

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
Another vote for the 830. It's a year old but the specs are still better than the 550. Rumor suggests that a new mid-range device will be announced later this month. However, I wouldn't be surprised if the new device retails for $400 or more, as opposed to the sub-$200 prices that the 830 is going for.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I enjoyed playing with the 830 while I had one. The camera is very nice if that is a major factor for you. Surprisingly adept, in fact. http://forums.windowscentral.com/de...mia-camera-shootout-928-vs-1520-vs-830-a.html 830 is a very nice phone at today's prices as opposed to when it debuted.

Let me throw another phone in the mix. How about BLU Win HD LTE? Slated to get 10 official when that breaks. The SD 410 is nice. 1GB RAM, 8GB internal + SD card. 720p IPS display. Nice color options... Add a Band 1 and you have Glance and then some + Sensorcore and a whole lot more.

Microsoft Lumia 550 vs. Nokia Lumia 830 vs. BLU Win HD LTE - GSMArena.com

GrandGerminator

Mar 13, 2014
Visit site
Thanks for your answers guys. I'll search for a used 830 in very good condition then ! Thanks again

GrandGerminator

Mar 13, 2014
Visit site
Hey, thanks for the suggest! If I don't find nice 930 used I'll check for a Blu win HD. The fact it's not a Lumia stopped me. I had HTC Windows Phone 7, and when I see how they are forgotten even under Wi does Phone 8 (no Limia apps, no Mixradio...) that's why

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ailanamargarett