550 vs 640 vs 650?

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
I know, another one of these threads, but I feel torn as a Windows fan right now.

Right now, I have the T-mobile 640, but I also ordered the 550, just haven't opened the box because I feel unsure if I should keep it or not. I can't change the size of the 640, but I do wish it had a green back. I ordered a fake one once, and it didn't work because it was too small. Because of a certain person on Windows Central, I am taking the chance again since some reviews said that the fit was ok. I doubt it will get Windows 10 Mobile officially because T-mo dropped the phone after 2 months.

As for the 550, I ordered one before, but reordered again because of the size and the green Mozo back replacement. Also, because it is unlocked too and that means straight updates from MS. I had no issues using it as a daily driver, but it's low light performance for the camera concerns me a little bit. I could always change my phones back and forth when I have a need to have a phone okay in low light, but that is a little annoying.

Now we have the 650 coming into the mix and I wonder if I should take a chance on it. It seems like it will have the better cameras above the two phones. It will have the same for the back camera, which is fine, but the front improving sounds great. And of course, an unlocked version will be available. I don't know for the status of colorful backs, I guess I will have to wait and see.

Before I end this post, I know a lot of you would say to go on Insider, but personally, I'll rather not. I need to be sure that things will actually work as they should. I don't want to be a preview tester, at least by choice anyway. I accept that Windows 10 mobile is not finished and has holes, but I need official updates. I have tried that route more than once, and almost wrecked my phone. Let's just say that I'm not the ideal person for Insider builds.

I'm not sure what I should do here. By the way, I have tried all of my other options for Lumias with green backs, or I just ruled them out for various reasons. It has come down to this pretty much. It also doesn't make sense to buy an unlocked 640, considering that I already have one.

tl;dr (summary) version:
-I have T-mobile variant of 640, which probably will not get Windows 10 mobile officially
-I desire a green back
-Need official updates only
-Got a 550 to fill point 2 and 3, but not sure if I should keep it
-Low light performance concerns me with it
-The 650 is unlocked, so there's possible potential there

Sedp23

May 6, 2015
Visit site
From my perspective If you want to go the unlocked route in hopes of getting updates I would get the 640 XL.

The 640 has a better processor, better battery and the camera. Can't remember the camera specs on the 550 (think it's 5mp?) but the 650 and 640 both have 8mp

The only advantage the 650 has over the 640 is the front camera being 5mp vs 1mp

Other wise in comparison to the 650 and 550, the 640 has a bigger battery and better processor. In comparison videos the 640 opened apps faster than the 550 which is running the 210 sd processor I think the 650 is using the same or 212 sd processor.

The 640 xl has a even bigger battery and better camera 13mp

Or why not get the alcatel fierce xl it has 2gb of ram my only complaint is the sd 210 on there as well but the video I've seen it doesn't lag at all handles windows 10 very well and is scheduled to come to tmobile this month for $140

Of the phones u listed tho I'd stick with the 640 the 550 is a downgrade and the 650 is a sidegrade/downgrade

Sent from mTalk

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
From my perspective If you want to go the unlocked route in hopes of getting updates I would get the 640 XL.

The 640 has a better processor, better battery and the camera. Can't remember the camera specs on the 550 (think it's 5mp?) but the 650 and 640 both have 8mp

The only advantage the 650 has over the 640 is the front camera being 5mp vs 1mp

Other wise in comparison to the 650 and 550, the 640 has a bigger battery and better processor. In comparison videos the 640 opened apps faster than the 550 which is running the 210 sd processor I think the 650 is using the same or 212 sd processor.

The 640 xl has a even bigger battery and better camera 13mp

Or why not get the alcatel fierce xl it has 2gb of ram my only complaint is the sd 210 on there as well but the video I've seen it doesn't lag at all handles windows 10 very well and is scheduled to come to tmobile this month for $140

Of the phones u listed tho I'd stick with the 640 the 550 is a downgrade and the 650 is a sidegrade/downgrade

Sent from mTalk

Thanks for your fast reply. The Fierce XL is too big, and unfortunately, so is the XL. 5" is my limit personally. You are right about the cameras being a downgrade on the 550. I have tried the 735, and it was great but it was horrible at work so it had to go. 830 is the same story (they share the same bands for the unlocked version), so not worth it.
I would not mind the sidegrade though. In my experience using the 550 as a daily driver, I didn't notice any issues with performance so I might be okay with it. You're right, I might just hang on with the 640, but it seems like there are all of these improved apps for Win 10 Mobile, which makes it hard.

If the green cover fits though, I'll be okay with hanging onto the 640...until another good option appears. I'm guessing based on trends that the 650 will have band 12. Apparently, that band makes a very big difference in my area.

Sedp23

May 6, 2015
Visit site
How's the battery life on the 550? Have you seen the rumors of the upcoming 750 or 850 mid range device that's on the way soon? It's running the 600 series snapdragon and should be a step above all 3 phones

Sent from mTalk

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
How's the battery life on the 550? Have you seen the rumors of the upcoming 750 or 850 mid range device that's on the way soon? It's running the 600 series snapdragon and should be a step above all 3 phones

Sent from mTalk
It matched the 640, or at least it was really close to it. I don't know about the rumors, I'll believe it when windows central reports it, haha.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
I look at the 650 as an upgrade from 550 in the area you seem most concerned about. Camera. It should be the same rear camera as 640.

I also like the design language of 650. See the reply I made here: http://forums.windowscentral.com/lumia-650/406903-lumia-650-downgrade-640-a.html#post3376182

Yeah, you're right. Considering that, I think I'll probably return the 550 and just wait for the 650. It seems like it would be my best bet for an unlocked device. Lets hope it isn't priced crazily. If Mozo can keep making accessories, there might be hope for the colors.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kuyhaa