xandros9's iOS and Android Adventure

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
This is was very interesting to read, thank you for your time doing this. It gives us a perspective on how all 3 platforms have their good and bad sides. Btw i'm always surprised at how the Moto X and Nexus 6 not only "borrowed" Glance Screen from Nokia, but also improved it. Yet Microsoft almost completely neglected it on the x30 series.

Anyway, do you think Android still suffers from loss of performance over time, after months of use and installing/uninstalling apps, etc? Do you have any experience on this?

That remains to be seen personally as I've had this for about a month.

Laura however is a pretty happy camper IIRC.

I have not noticed any issues with performance degradation on Android. However, I've only used Nexus and Moto devices, not any devices with heavy OEM skins/launchers.

P1ng0fDeath

Jul 15, 2014
Visit site
I have not noticed any issues with performance degradation on Android. However, I've only used Nexus and Moto devices, not any devices with heavy OEM skins/launchers.

I see... those have stock Android, right? The Moto X Play is one of the phones i'm interested in, but the Xperia M4 is closer to what i can afford, and it has OEM customizations, that's why i'm a bit afraid.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
I see... those have stock Android, right? The Moto X Play is one of the phones i'm interested in, but the Xperia M4 is closer to what i can afford, and it has OEM customizations, that's why i'm a bit afraid.
Yes, those have stock Android.

I'm not at all familiar with Sony. No Sony devices are available for AT&T. I've never seen a Sony device. I believe T-Mobile used to sell them, but the T-Mobile stores don't have them anymore.

P1ng0fDeath

Jul 15, 2014
Visit site
Yes, those have stock Android.

I'm not at all familiar with Sony. No Sony devices are available for AT&T. I've never seen a Sony device. I believe T-Mobile used to sell them, but the T-Mobile stores don't have them anymore.

yeah, looks like Sony phones are not very popular apart from the Z series. But they do seem to be good Android phones. Guess i'll grab one and try it out myself.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
yeah, looks like Sony phones are not very popular apart from the Z series. But they do seem to be good Android phones. Guess i'll grab one and try it out myself.
Let us know what you think. I hear that the battery life is impressive. It's just really hard to find here, and even the older ones are $$$ (at least to me anyway).

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
It's coming today! I hope it's in great condition. I will be that person to set it up today because the return window for the Nexus is closing in about a week and some for me.

Xandros, you have been super helpful and I have a question. In your adventure, what did you do about your text messages and contacts? Moving to Android, I didn't move my texts because the only way is really complicated, and I'll rather not. Adding my Outlook accounts made it easy for me to have my contacts on my phone. I don't know if there's a way to forward texts from my Android to the iPhone, but still use outlook for my contacts.

Last edited:

P1ng0fDeath

Jul 15, 2014
Visit site
Let us know what you think. I hear that the battery life is impressive. It's just really hard to find here, and even the older ones are $$$ (at least to me anyway).

Will do it if do buy one! They are expensive here too, except a few models. Don't want to get rid of my 930 but damn, MS repair service is getting on my nerves.

Last edited:

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Xandros, you have been super helpful and I have a question. In your adventure, what did you do about your text messages and contacts? Moving to Android, I didn't move my texts because the only way is really complicated, and I'll rather not. Adding my Outlook accounts made it easy for me to have my contacts on my phone. I don't know if there's a way to forward texts from my Android to the iPhone, but still use outlook for my contacts.

Glad I helped. :)

Moving to iOS from Windows Phone, I didn't move text messages over.

Moving from Android to iOS I went though a simple but kinda tedious method to import my texts into my Android.

As for contacts, Outlook.com is my central location for contacts across literally all my devices. I set up an Exchange account to sync Contacts only with the phone and the Outlook app handles email and calendar events.

anon(8532178)

Feb 12, 2014
Visit site
Xandros 9 your insight is appreciated very thorough review of these OSs. I've yet have to try iOS fully. But Android and this Nexus has spoiled me lol. I actually miss Windows Phone/Mobile I want to get a 950 or XL soon.

Posted via the Windows Central App for Nexus 5x

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
I got my iPhone, but they sent me the wrong one (the 5 instead of the 5s). Sigh. I'm starting to think that it might be a sign in hindsight. However, I didn't realize until after I set it up.

After a few hours with it, I can understand why you like Android more. I don't know if I should just give iOS a try with the right model I wanted (it was on iOS 9 though) or just return it and get my money back. I also now understand why so many people have said that Windows Phone/Mobile is right in the middle with customization, when it comes to the mobile OSes. iOS is nice, but the fact that apps that I don't use have to be in my face, is something I don't like. It seems like the only way is to put it in a folder, or else it will forever live (yeah I know this is dramatic, but I can see this as something that can possibly annoy me), on one of my home screens.

With Windows Phone, you get to choose what is on the home screen. Everything else is just in the apps list. Android, or at least with the new Nexus phones, there's an app drawer, so again, I get to choose what's on my home screen. However, I wish there was a way to make it simpler (Android, I mean).

Last edited:

3earnhardt3

Oct 19, 2012
Visit site
Thank you for the wonderful insight, I have played with a Droid Turbo for the past 3 months (which Verizon paid me $50 to take) and have been miserable compared to WP. I just ordered an iPhone 6 plus as my next attempt to move on from WP for a little while, and now I have a decent idea of what to expect. One of the things I hate about Android is the NEED to customize it, so your take on iOS seems closer to my liking. Either way, as soon as MS gets off their lazy butt and certifies a flagship on Verizon I will be right back.

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I can't resist! I'm going to flash the stock Lollipop ROM and see how it is. Too curious!

I'll report back... eventually.

My Alpha gave me a scare this morning. After leaving in my shower caddy, water must've somehow gotten involved and it went on the fritz for an hour. (stuck volume down button apparently, reflashing the recovery - TWRP, helped for some reason. etc.)

Welp, I'll see y'all on the other side. I think the important stuff's been backed up... I hope.

It's booting up now, I had to wipe everything so...

EDIT: My fingerprint scanner is refusing to work and I no longer feel like dealing with it.

I would have to jump through too many hoops to get Xposed working, but I could probably live without it.

It's a shame, the camera seems nicer. I know I'll miss those annoying *boop* sounds too.

I'm going to backup this install and restore my last backup. It was an interesting sideshow, but I think I need to go back. And think.

I forgot to try out the Blackberry stuff, but I'm not sure how well it'll work. The Priv's on 5.1.something and this is on 5.0.2. Not sure what the gap is.

EDIT 3: well my phone's in limbo still, my backup doesn't want to properly restore!

More to come eventually.

EDIT 4: Was being stupid, I was trying to restore data but my phone's storage was full!

I hope nobody needed to contact me. Going back to the stock ROM, I was a bit impulsive on jumping ship I'll admit.

EDIT 5: I'm back on CM13.
Turns out my fingerprint reader was broken the whole time, and the TouchWiz ROM is vulnerable to Stagefright too. I did get to use the suite of Blackberry apps though, which were cool.

EDIT 6: Some things I forgot to mention was that the stock ROM had splitscreen functionality.
It didnt hold a candle to Window 8's implementation but it was something.

Last edited:

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
Wow. I'm glad that you got it worked out, that sounds really scary to me o_o Even though you had that experience, do you regret doing it at all? I mean the jumping ship thing. Are you going to stay with CM13, if you decide to stick with Android?

Also, I got my iphone (that was a hassle in itself, but it's not relevant here) recently, and I have encountered most, if not all of your observations. I ended up getting a 5c (it has wifi calling, which I need badly at work so it works) and it's really cool. I like how your observations kind of gave me a preview of what to expect in a weird way. I am debating if I should turn on or turn off imessage, since having an iphone made me realize just how many of my friends have facetime and the like. I mean, it's not all of my friends but enough of them have it to make me consider it.

jaimeastin

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
I haven't jumped ship completely, but my main phone is a blu life one x. I was swapping sim card,but now added another line for my 640 to be active. Cool thing is that the life one x is dual sim.

Any who,I just wanted a new phone. The 640 proved that you can get a lot for little. The $10 moto e proved to me that android har come a long way... And in many ways, so much "smarter" of an OS than windows. Ok google works waaaay better than Cortana... Traffic alerta, relevant news, weather, speach recognition, etc. Feature benefits are just better on android.

Now, there are many things I miss about windows mobile... But I have all my Microsoft services on android so I was at virtually no loss.

Why did I jump... Well. Ir was not the app gap as I have been happy with windows.. Only social apps I need is telegram ans WhatsApp... Screw snapchat or any of that other fad garbage... If it's not truely universal, it will not be used by me. Any who, my 640 Waa just too buggy. Bluetooth requiring a reboot, etc. Yeah,I am on the fast ring so my fault... Yet... Android continues to move forward and is not the mess it once was.. With windoes, we are going through yet another reboot of the OS. I wanted something fresh,modern, and something that worked.

I was so pissed with my 640, I went to go buy an iPhone 6s... when I picked the phone up, it was just stale. It was the same as the iPhones from the past. I really dislike playing in the apple orchard, even though sometimes it is the best place to be. I new surly I would go apple over Google when the time came... Well, google showed me they are truely most innovative.

I liked the Samsung galaxy active, but Samsung is going more and more apple and I am not playing that game. expandable storage or no deal... Not paying tiered Pricing. Blu made me a believer in the end. Premium at a great /realistic price.

I am waiting for he surface or hp phone. A phone I truely use for work or give yo employees has my attention for my next phone. I all wait for Microsoft to get this stuff right cause I like what they are doing... They just need time.. I need Windows to just work.

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Wow. I'm glad that you got it worked out, that sounds really scary to me o_o Even though you had that experience, do you regret doing it at all? I mean the jumping ship thing. Are you going to stay with CM13, if you decide to stick with Android?

Also, I got my iphone (that was a hassle in itself, but it's not relevant here) recently, and I have encountered most, if not all of your observations. I ended up getting a 5c (it has wifi calling, which I need badly at work so it works) and it's really cool. I like how your observations kind of gave me a preview of what to expect in a weird way. I am debating if I should turn on or turn off imessage, since having an iphone made me realize just how many of my friends have facetime and the like. I mean, it's not all of my friends but enough of them have it to make me consider it.

I don't regret it at all, I didn't have to screw everything up, I did it knowing the risks and all. Other phones don't give me that option! So the freedom is refreshing.

I'm sticking around still - the only things to make me regret anything is the worse camera (probably combination of not being PureView, less than high-end and less than optimal software behind it.) and the existence of the Nexus 5, although I do like Samsung's design and removable battery here.

A reason I stuck with iOS for more than I thought was hoping for a jailbreak, but I don't think that has panned out yet.

anon(6078578)

Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
For those of you with two phones, do you carry them both with you or do you swap the SIM card between them? Or do you simply have two separate phone lines?

I imagine the SIM card swapping isn't too practical if you use both of them regularly, especially as you have to disassemble the phone, not to mention get out of any cases!

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
For those of you with two phones, do you carry them both with you or do you swap the SIM card between them? Or do you simply have two separate phone lines?

I imagine the SIM card swapping isn't too practical if you use both of them regularly, especially as you have to disassemble the phone, not to mention get out of any cases!

Two separate lines, at least from my POV is way too expensive. Unless we're talking one for business and one for personal use.

For me, I don't carry multiple devices anymore, but the one with the SIM is the one that's going to see more usage.

Others are typically relegated to Wi-Fi only but then again they usually pull desk or drawer duty when I'm out.

anon(6078578)

Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
Two separate lines, at least from my POV is way too expensive. Unless we're talking one for business and one for personal use.

For me, I don't carry multiple devices anymore, but the one with the SIM is the one that's going to see more usage.

Others are typically relegated to Wi-Fi only but then again they usually pull desk or drawer duty when I'm out.
I figure most would be doing it that way. That's the way I do it. No point in paying for another line that will hardly be used, not to mention you then have two numbers to deal with.

I currently have an old LG Optimus F3 which I use to give me access to apps I cannot get, or are simply inferior on my Lumia. I will be replacing it with another low end Android at some point in the near future since I cannot sync my Misfit with it, ie have to use my iPad for now. Apparently Bluetooth low energy wasn't standardized on before Android 4.3. Also it has very little internal memory for apps, which so far I've been able to work around as I am not a games player thankfully.

I have to be honest, it's the camera that pulled me to, and keeps me with my Lumia 640, but since even low end Android cameras are becoming much better than they were, it's now less compelling to stay with Windows Phone as my primary, especially if the app situation doesn't improve.

Being a technically orientated person, I really don't find Android that complex, although I will say that there is definitely something kind of 'magical' about Windows Phone OS with it's live tiles and it's general layout that I find appealing. Sure you can mimic that in Android, but it's not quite the same right? I am definitely trying to stay in the Windows Phone camp as long as I can though, even if it ends up being just one foot! :)

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
I figure most would be doing it that way. That's the way I do it. No point in paying for another line that will hardly be used, not to mention you then have two numbers to deal with.

I currently have an old LG Optimus F3 which I use to give me access to apps I cannot get, or are simply inferior on my Lumia. I will be replacing it with another low end Android at some point in the near future since I cannot sync my Misfit with it, ie have to use my iPad for now. Apparently Bluetooth low energy wasn't standardized on before Android 4.3. Also it has very little internal memory for apps, which so far I've been able to work around as I am not a games player thankfully.

I have to be honest, it's the camera that pulled me to, and keeps me with my Lumia 640, but since even low end Android cameras are becoming much better than they were, it's now less compelling to stay with Windows Phone as my primary, especially if the app situation doesn't improve.

Being a technically orientated person, I really don't find Android that complex, although I will say that there is definitely something kind of 'magical' about Windows Phone OS with it's live tiles and it's general layout that I find appealing. Sure you can mimic that in Android, but it's not quite the same right? I am definitely trying to stay in the Windows Phone camp as long as I can though, even if it ends up being just one foot! :)

You have to do what works for you. For me, Android was complex because windows phone and iOS are very straightforward. I prefer for things to be that way.

Yeah I had a 5x that I was trying out. It has now been returned. I have my 640 but like xandros said, it gets desk duty. I use my 435 as a music device on WiFi only. My 5c is my daily driver. Trying it out too but I think I stick with it. I don't know how people carry around two devices on a regular basis, I can't. It's too much for me.
I want WP/WM to win but things need to come together more for me.

anon(6078578)

Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
You have to do what works for you. For me, Android was complex because windows phone and iOS are very straightforward. I prefer for things to be that way.

Yeah I had a 5x that I was trying out. It has now been returned. I have my 640 but like xandros said, it gets desk duty. I use my 435 as a music device on WiFi only. My 5c is my daily driver. Trying it out too but I think I stick with it. I don't know how people carry around two devices on a regular basis, I can't. It's too much for me.
I want WP/WM to win but things need to come together more for me.
I agree about carrying two devices being too much. I only use my LG in certain circumstances with my 640 being the Daily driver. That may change in the future of course.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rorymi6