Microsoft should put Android on Lumias

akroy

Dec 2, 2012
Visit site
cant even find a decent user review of the moly x1, I do have a 640 and am not impressed with the performance of the processor, the 950 0r 950xl would be adequate other than I would need a ziplock for them. I'm in cellphone purgatory right now windows is the way to go for me I loved my 920- "rain damage" so I'm stuck with android until I see some decent hardware . I'm don't need a lot of apps I need decent hardware that doesn't ruined if I forget my rain gear on my way to the cabin.

FredW3

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
I would love to see the hardware and OS separate, like PCs. The same PC runs Windows or Linux (and a few oddball OSs). Why can't they build the operating systems so that they use drivers for the hardware? Any phone could run any OS, as long as it met the specs. It would make the OS harder to code, but the flexibility would be worth it.

Ten Four

Nov 20, 2013
Visit site
I would love to see the hardware and OS separate, like PCs.
The phone business is dominated by Apple that sells 50% or so of the phones in the USA and makes something like 85% of the profits. They have both high volume and high profits. They have no incentive to open up their ecosystem to rival operating systems. Android is sort of what you are wishing for in that there are many flavors available.

kaktus1389

Feb 7, 2016
Visit site
Microsoft is owning Lumia and the whole point of it owning Lumia is to put their main product on it which is Windows and is in my opinion the best mobile OS, the app gap is there but that is not fault of the OS itself.
It is true that android phones and especially iPhones are advertised better than Lumia phones are, but that does not make them better.
Also as it was already stated before in this thread - don't like Windows mobile? Well good for you that there already are other android and iOS phones.

Guytronic

Ambassador Team Leader
Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
I do love people who start threads with useless ideas..

This thread was probably engineered by a oneshot user to gauge kneejerk reactions from the community.
A grain of salt could easily be added and a little humor in replies from those with a sense of humor could be fun.

In other words this would make a great meme thread as long as it stayed in bounds.

CammKelly

Mar 16, 2016
Visit site
So Android on Lumia. Microsoft's a software company, releasing phones running Android would make no sense as it would dilute the platform whose whole strategy is to showcase Microsoft software.

However, there could be one strategy that *might* make sense, and that would be the ability to dual boot \ reflash into an Microsoft curated version of Android, with that distribution also being made available to OEM's on the proviso that tools are available to switch your phone to a Windows version. OEM's benefit from having a large company handling Android updates, Microsoft benefits by getting its software in front of the masses. Even then, I'm not 100% sold on that strategy.

vsmh96

Jul 12, 2014
Visit site
Microsoft should start selling Lumias with Android on them. Lumia phones would then make it to the list of top selling phones.

Unlikely. I don't think you understand that Lumias work fine even on lower end hardware, whereas Android on the other hand is killing stuff even on higher end phones. This means that Lumia running Android will be slow.

Secondly, putting Android on a phone doesn't make it sell like hot cakes. Look at HTC struggling, not to mention the many generic brands out there.

Schnuffi

Oct 18, 2013
Visit site
The phone business is dominated by Apple that sells 50% or so of the phones in the USA and makes something like 85% of the profits. They have both high volume and high profits. They have no incentive to open up their ecosystem to rival operating systems. Android is sort of what you are wishing for in that there are many flavors available.

So in effect is what your saying is Apple charge way to much for their phones

Ten Four

Nov 20, 2013
Visit site
So in effect is what your saying is Apple charge way to much for their phones
"Way too much" is debatable since they seem to have no problem selling them for what they ask! Until the market says otherwise Apple will charge whatever the market will bear, and continue to reap record profits.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site

Yes.

Integrate/merge Android into W10M and W10.

Short-circuit the whole app gap thing.

Microsoft's plans to convert Android apps to Windows 10 Mobile revealed in info leak | Windows Central

Microsoft's Project Astoria has leaked letting Windows 10 Mobile sideload Android APKs directly | Windows Central

Microsoft's Project Astoria and Android app emulation not happening anytime soon | Windows Central

Pushback – Developers were very unhappy about Astoria
Technical – There are reports that the Android subsystem caused Windows 10 Mobile to slow down over time
Legal — It is not clear what, if any, legal ramifications there in such an approach

Microsoft officially cancels 'Project Astoria' plans for porting Android apps to Windows 10 Mobile | Windows Central

So... Uh... It's been tried and it isn't going to work out...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss