640: Budget Phone Durability Champion

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
Re: 640 beats the iPhone

As someone who actually did freelance, contract quality control for a couple of steel manufacturing plants, you don't have to get those details out for my benefit. I could probably teach classes. Lord, I've had too many specialties in my life. It was fun to use the mass spectrometer on my lunch one time. ;)

The derail express seems to have arrived. I'll stop.

Only a small derail. :)

Interesting. I'm an electrical engineer. I have experience in steel, coal, mining, process, oil and gas and reverse osmosis salt water plants. I probably wouldn't be able to teach a class but I know enough to be dangerous as one of managers used to say. :p

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site

Ha. The 640 is $30. There's no reason to pay $850 for an iPhone,

Now if only I could get the 640 for $30 in Europe... that's not used and not shipped over from the US...

As for getting an iPhone over a 640, there's various reasons why people buy a phone. From personal preference to certain apps, friends, etc.

There are lot more expensive phones than an iPhone...

Steve Adams

Banned
Nov 29, 2013
Visit site

iPhones are notoriously fragile. Sometime try to take notice of how many iPhones you see around that are not in an Otterbox AND do not have a cracked screen. There aren't many...

I always notice this. Any iPhone that's not in a armour case is pretty well shattered. Or bent. My son has had 3 iphones and I have replaced them all because of shattered screens. You fart on them the wrong way and they will bend or break.

DracCusS

Apr 6, 2016
Visit site

I was running as fast as I could to catch a bus (i didnt catch up to it though... huehue) and my Lumia 535 with a case on fell out of my pocket. It hit the ground hard, bounced to a nearby wall, and then again back to me. I just picked it up and it didn't have a scratch on it. Dat **** is durable!

Timbre70

Jul 10, 2014
Visit site

Resistance to shatter is dependent on materials used and whether there's separate backing plate or fully unified body.

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site

Now if only I could get the 640 for $30 in Europe... that's not used and not shipped over from the US...

As for getting an iPhone over a 640, there's various reasons why people buy a phone. From personal preference to certain apps, friends, etc.

There are lot more expensive phones than an iPhone...

I think when I see adults buying a product because their friends have it,it is a bit strange. I expect that from teens. Not adults.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site

I think when I see adults buying a product because their friends have it,it is a bit strange. I expect that from teens. Not adults.

It makes sense to want what your friends have, with apps like Snapchat, or Facetime in the case of Apple, being a case in point. There is also the sense of familiarity. If I (as a non-techie) have a popular phone and do not know how to do something, I can ask my (also non-techie) friends and there's a good chance one of them will be able to help me. If I have a device nobody else has, I have no help.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site

You don't know everyone's life. It can depend on a lot of things. For example, one of my friends just got an iPhone recently. Of the friends in our friend group, a good amount of us have iPhones. I'm pretty sure she didn't get it because of us. She had an iPad all of this time, and additionally, everyone in her family has an iPhone. Even so, word of mouth is so powerful and we can't forget that.

Edit: tgp said a point I totally forgot to add. Adding on to that, FaceTime requires no log in, it just works as long as you are using the Apple product. No additional logins to remember. I showed my mom how to use skype but she probably doesn't even remember her login. WhatsApp though, she doesn't have anything to remember, it just works.

bleached

Dec 13, 2013
Visit site

I am quite sure they said in the video that the 640 isn't quite as durable the iPhone. The only place it beats it is in price.

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site

You don't know everyone's life. It can depend on a lot of things. For example, one of my friends just got an iPhone recently. Of the friends in our friend group, a good amount of us have iPhones. I'm pretty sure she didn't get it because of us. She had an iPad all of this time, and additionally, everyone in her family has an iPhone. Even so, word of mouth is so powerful and we can't forget that.

Edit: tgp said a point I totally forgot to add. Adding on to that, FaceTime requires no log in, it just works as long as you are using the Apple product. No additional logins to remember. I showed my mom how to use skype but she probably doesn't even remember her login. WhatsApp though, she doesn't have anything to remember, it just works.

Why would she need to remember her skype id? I gave my grandmother (at age 68) a Lumia 640 and literally all she had to do was sign-in with her email address(just like an apple id) and open skype to which it automatically logs in like it does on any other windows device. So she doesn't have to remember any login.

I am just glad in my circle of friends and coworkers our group isn't tied to an os, nor trendy apps. I don't use WhatsApp even though we have an app for windows phone...I got my friends on telegram. I don't use snapchat so there are other ways for me to stay up to date on whatever stupid bs they are talking about or for a random loser guy to snap me something inappropriate.

No, I don't know everyone's life but when I see adults following trends or whining over snapchat(and you're like over the age of 30), yeah I kinda have to just lol at that. But to each their own. Word of mouth is powerful....so is not following behind what your friends are doing. I know many people who got something based off their friends only to hate it later.

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site

It makes sense to want what your friends have, with apps like Snapchat, or Facetime in the case of Apple, being a case in point. There is also the sense of familiarity. If I (as a non-techie) have a popular phone and do not know how to do something, I can ask my (also non-techie) friends and there's a good chance one of them will be able to help me. If I have a device nobody else has, I have no help.

I love my friends but for my money I buy what I want to use how I want. I don't want what they have. Now it is completely different if you see somethin cool your friend is using. It's precisely how I got my group on team surface. I was the first one rocking the RT and then I got the pro and now we all except one (the runt of the group who uses a mac lmao) use surface. They didn't get it because of me, I merely showed them what it was and they made that choice themselves.

In this day and age, smartphones are relatively simple to figure out. And what you don't know can be found via a quick google search or bing search.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site

Why would she need to remember her skype id? I gave my grandmother (at age 68) a Lumia 640 and literally all she had to do was sign-in with her email address(just like an apple id) and open skype to which it automatically logs in like it does on any other windows device. So she doesn't have to remember any login.

I am just glad in my circle of friends and coworkers our group isn't tied to an os, nor trendy apps. I don't use WhatsApp even though we have an app for windows phone...I got my friends on telegram. I don't use snapchat so there are other ways for me to stay up to date on whatever stupid bs they are talking about or for a random loser guy to snap me something inappropriate.

No, I don't know everyone's life but when I see adults following trends or whining over snapchat(and you're like over the age of 30), yeah I kinda have to just lol at that. But to each their own. Word of mouth is powerful....so is not following behind what your friends are doing. I know many people who got something based off their friends only to hate it later.

I understand what you are saying here and I generally agree. It's silly to get a phone just because your friends/social circle has it. Thankfully our friend group uses GroupMe which is multi-platform and also works with texts too.
My mom uses Android, so it's slightly different there. I think you are underestimating the uses of Snapchat. What you said is a good amount of the uses for it, but there are other cool ways that people use it, like celebs and such. Not all of them use it the same way of course, but how some of them use it is pretty cool.

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site

I also don't follow or idolize celebs so snapchat is irrelevant to me. Kinda sad that is how the world is....people are followers :p

I do wish someone would come up and challenge the monopoly that is snapchat. While WhatsApp is incredibly popular, there are some good challengers out there for it.

I understand what you are saying here and I generally agree. It's silly to get a phone just because your friends/social circle has it. Thankfully our friend group uses GroupMe which is multi-platform and also works with texts too.
My mom uses Android, so it's slightly different there. I think you are underestimating the uses of Snapchat. What you said is a good amount of the uses for it, but there are other cool ways that people use it, like celebs and such. Not all of the, use it the same way of course, but how some of them use it is pretty cool.

Ben Wolgus

Apr 29, 2013
Visit site

Seems to me that if I buy a phone for more than $200 I shouldn't need to buy a protector. The more expensive a phone is I would have expected the company to engineer a good phone and not some fragile piece of trash. Starting from my Lumia 920 all of my Lumias have been great in terms of durability no cover no screen protector.

aybarrap1

Feb 19, 2014
Visit site

There is a lot more than just durability. As always the latest and greatest specs will cost. I used to think I needed it but now realize that the middle of the road is perfect ($200 - $350 range cost) as I typically get a new device every 2 years or so. By the time the phone is left behind in dev support, I have moved along.

Mark Richey

Dec 18, 2012
Visit site

Lumia phones are notoriously good. I can't count the number of times I dropped my 920, with it even skittering across a train plaform. The curled corners being the only tell-tale sign of the drops, proving that polycarbonate will often even beat metal phones. And I have never put a screen cover on any of my phones. Next up, my 930. I only dropped it twice, the first time on edge on the hardwood floor in our kitchen. The glue on the case came loose and I panicked. But a single snap put it bak into place, and after a hard year without any protection at all, the phone is pristine. My 950 has been fortunate and not dropped. I have gone back to the orginal case after sporting a Mozo case for a time, and I enjoy the thinness and lightness. as usual, I do not protect the screen and only use a case when I want a kickstand for video. As it is only a couple month old, not many drops, but the flat screen I was spooked about shows no hint of any damage and again, even the "cheap" looking case is pristine, not even showing discoloration (white).

Shubham26

Oct 29, 2015
Visit site

so should u put a case on lumias? will the cases prevent the disassembly and hence do more harm than good? any advice? I have been looking for answers for a while now.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb