Need New Phone (Please Help)

RobinPaul

Sep 23, 2012
Visit site
That's why i bought a Microsoft Lumia 650 for 200 euros, my main device is a Samasung Galaxy S6 Edge, but i wanted to see what Microsoft offered so I bought the 650 and will wait for the Surface Phone.

Ma Rio

Sep 28, 2013
Visit site
Come on now... The 950XL is a big upgrade from the 1520.

More LTE-bands, Cat6 support, smaller, lighter, better screen, higher resolution, GG4, much faster SoC, better graphical performance, higher MicroSD support, more RAM, better cameras, more modern Bluetooth stack, updated gps stack, usb-c, iris-scanner (perfect during Winter), barometer, continuum, fast charging.

Literally everything you mentioned there is worth nothing to the average consumer.
More LTE-bands - from what I see (and you can't see much about that), they both support the following bands: 850Mhz, 900Mhz, 1800Mhz, 1900Mhz, 2100Mhz, 2600Mhz, HSDPA, LTE
And if you really need any other band, then IDK, you probably live on mars.
Cat6 - umm, what? Where can you plug in a cat6 cable in your phone? I'm guessing from the dock, but even then, that's not something that's made for widespread use, only some will find use in it.
Smaller, lighter - well yep, and I like my display bigger. 6'' > 5.7''. So, again, for me, not an upgrade.
Better screen - only more pixels, which is a downside if you ask me. Quite a big one. You don't need that many pixels, and it only drains the battery.
GG4 - well, yep, that's good.
Much faster SoC - not really. SD 800 vs 810 is not a big difference. Not to mention SD 800 is already really fast, so you're buying nothing.
Better graphical performance - same as above, I never found my 1520 lacking performance, it's a top end device, what can you do on your phone that requires strong graphics.
Higher MicroSD - I don't think so. I think both devices support any MicroSD card there is. And come on, who's gonna spend a fortune on a 200GB SD card?
More RAM - same as above, I've never found my 1520 lacking memory. Even if you multitask like no other the system manages it well and you won't fill up those 2 GBs.
Better cameras - I think they're using the same camera as on the ICON (930) / 1520. I've heard they've made some improvements, I've never heard anything else other than that. And once again, the 1520's camera is good enough (the only problem is the current app which outputs horrible pictures).
Improved Bluetooth - isn't that a software thing? I could be completely wrong here, so don't hold me on that one, but I don't think it's actually some huge improvement on the chip.
GPS - never heard anything about that, and I feel the same goes for GPS as for Bluetooth.
USB-C - yes it's nice, but no real advantage to it (other than it's reversible). It's even a problem for now, since there's not too many devices that support USB-C.
Iris scanner - goes under the gimicky feature. Fingerprint scanners, iris scanners.. all that stuff, it has almost no real world usage. Maybe in 20 years though.
Barometer - really?
Fast charging - yep, that's a good thing.

And as for Continuum, I can't lie, that's a big thing, but for me personally it's useless. It still isn't what it's supposed to be, and even then it's just going to be an improved 'project your phone'. I've never done something like that in my life to be honest. And I barely see why you would need such a thing. I kinda get what MS is trying to achieve here, but IMO out of the whole 3% Win10M market share, only like 10% - 15% are Continuum enabled devices, and out of those 10% - 15% I think 85% won't even use it. So you're basicly gonna have like 7 people in the world who are going to use it.
That's just my oppinion about it.
For you, it may be a decent upgrade, but for me, it's far far far from it, because most of the 'improvements' are just on paper. Not to mention my 1520 is gorgeous, and the 950XL is.. not really. We'll see about that Surface Phone, though.

Krystianpants

Sep 2, 2014
Visit site
I would wait for the HP elite X3. It's apparently going to be priced at around 599 with no accessories. And the snapdragon 820 on it is worthy of that price. It's expected June or July so not that much of a wait if you want it. I love my 950XL but honestly I would likely prefer the HP elite X3. I'm sure the camera won't be as good on the Elite but most cameras are honestly good enough unless you are really a pro. Most people just want to see pictures, they don't look at the tiny miniscule details that they compare in tests.

EspHack

Jun 11, 2013
Visit site
I don't think w10m is aware of how the sd810 might be faster than sd800, yet, and no the cameras are not the same as 1520-930, they have that "turn night into day" level of low light badassery like the 920-925-928 did, microSD I'm pretty sure any modern phone will accept up to 2tb as the standard says, but you know, this is wp, it might be possible good'old ms made higher capacity sd cards unreadable for some absurd software gibberish

everything else about the 950's is more of the same now with cheap clothing
iris login CAN be a gimmicky or a lovable unique feature like glance and double tap, you know, that thing you will never forgive Microsoft for removing

Jack Neill

Sep 30, 2013
Visit site
I never had a 1520 but I had a 520/635/640/830/920/1020. My personal favorite is the 830. great looking and a great fast camera, SD slot, nano sim, great battery life and Qi charging. I say get a used 830 and run .318 and above until the fabled "Surface Phone" arrives...

newgamertag

Mar 6, 2016
Visit site
If you want a WP take a L640XL. And keep it with the W8.1. Otherways get a decent Android. Win 10 M is not really ready yet.

Wow, way to throw out false info there. Ive had my 640xl since launch and started using w10m since the second 10586 update and it's been working fantastic! Not ready to try Redstone on it yet but threshold works without no bugs, and it's pretty damn fast! I also have a 930 (Redstone) and it's just as fast if not faster. There's tones of videos on youtube. Check info before telling people lies.

isicles

Oct 13, 2013
Visit site
It will be dead -- haven't you been reading the news? ;)

Guess what.....You are right........

Phone booted well. Software loaded well but when i insert sim and try to turn off flight mode, it would just turn it off.

So i can use all the functions on 1520 but not sim card.

Artem Veselovsky

Feb 25, 2013
Visit site
If you want a Windows device get the 950 if you can afford it or 640 if you are looking for a cheap device. Concerning the Elite X3 - looks like to be a good phone but brings pretty much nothing compared to 950/XL. Maybe just the fingerprint sensor and a faster SoC. But the difference between SD820 and SD810/808 is less visible than the difference between SD800 and 810/808. And there's one tradeoff that has be done with X3: it's either dualism and no SD or single sim and SD. Lumia 950/XL are very nice phones despite some users state otherwise and compare these to previous devices like Icon or 1520 as a downgrade. But 950 is a definite upgrade compared to 1520/Icon/930.

If you are looking more to Android, get the Xiaomi Mi4c. It has pretty much the same hardware as the 950 but without SD slot and camera button. And it is super cheap compared to other devices with SD808 SoC. Here in Ukraine the price diff is like Mi4c is 3 times cheaper than the 950 (not the XL one), I guess it is sold around the same price elsewhere. Also Mi4c feels very nice in hand.
However, if you are into mobile photography, then pretty much no phone will bring you the results 950/XL will.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss