950 or Oneplus 3

Duffman77

Feb 14, 2015
Visit site
Hi guys i need a new phone, I've whittled it down to these 2. I'm currently on android which I don't hate, but find it a bit messy. I use to be on windows phone, I had an L920, which broke so I thought I'd try android. I really liked windows phone and am tempted to come back. But I'm I looking at the past through rose tinted specs, has much changed? For better or worse? I've read bad and good things about the 950, but it's had to sift through the crap of the clear anti windows bias in the tech world, to know what's true or false. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android

Scienceguy Labs

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
Well, it's like this...
If you are dependent on a large number of high-quality apps, get the OnePlus and stay with Android. If you enjoy a small number of mediocre apps and an occasional well done app, come on back to Windows Mobile and get the 950. :D I'm not saying that there aren't some really good developers building really good apps for Windows Mobile. It's just that comparing the two app stores is a non starter.

Things have not gotten better in the time you've spent with Android. Your enjoyment of W10M really just depends on how you use your phone. Can you get by with what the W10M app store offers? Only you really know the answer to that.

Last edited:

kaktus1389

Feb 7, 2016
Visit site
Well I guess this depends on:
  • Importance of app availability to you (if the apps you need are on either of the platform)
  • UI
  • Importance of the design of the device itself (some don't like 950 for it's design)
  • Continuum importance
  • Camera importance
If you have all the apps you need in MS Store, you use/would like to use/would need to use Continuum, like the UI of Windows 10 Mobile and the design of the 950 itself and need that camera I'd go with 950.

Duffman77

Feb 14, 2015
Visit site
Thanks for your help guys. There are 1 or 2 apps that I would miss but probably not any deal breaking ones. I use to really like WP 8 and 8.1, but I've heard Win 10 is flaky at times and is almost beta in some cases. What's your view on this, if you don't mind. I'm tempted to pick up a L640 on eBay for ?50 and try Win 10 before I take the plunge either way. Assuming Win 10 is now available for the 640. Thanks agsin

gmfeld

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
I've been on Windows Phone/Mobile forever, never had an Android or the iPhone so can't comment on those. I recently got a ATT 950 as a warranty replacement for my 830. The 950's been working great, very happy with it. I'm running the most current ATT version of WM10, just got an update last night. I had been on the release preview ring of the Insider program with my 830, but don't feel the need now to take any insider releases.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
Thanks for your help guys. There are 1 or 2 apps that I would miss but probably not any deal breaking ones. I use to really like WP 8 and 8.1, but I've heard Win 10 is flaky at times and is almost beta in some cases. What's your view on this, if you don't mind. I'm tempted to pick up a L640 on eBay for ?50 and try Win 10 before I take the plunge either way. Assuming Win 10 is now available for the 640. Thanks agsin

I do think it is mostly improving with every update. You are free to pick up the 640 to try it out though, but in my own experience, the 950's keyboard is fast. Much faster than it is with the 640 on Windows 10 Mobile.

Tiiger88

Jan 18, 2016
Visit site
WM10 keyboard is a bit of messy and it's non customizable. But the main reason is that in Estonian language, there is ? ? ? ? letters! But all other aspects, i think windows phone is really great OS! So L950 is really OK compared oneplus,

ttsoldier

Retired Ambassador
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
I'd say get the OP3 .

Windows 10 rom is supposed to be coming out for it soon enough. When it does, flash it. If you don't like it. Re-flash android. It's a win win.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
I've moved this thread to the Phone Wars forum, since it is comparison between 2 different devices.

Good luck with whatever decision you make.

Guytronic

Ambassador Team Leader
Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
RAM management is absolutely nuts on the OP3.
I can only image what a WM device could do with the One Plus 3's hardware.

Maybe if Windows phones had the beef other phones are starting to show up with perhaps developers with super complex apps aimed at Windows would come out of the closet.
Windows phone manufacturers need to quit building low spec phones...especially in the mid-range.
Upping the hardware game for Windows Mobile is long overdue.

Come on WP builders quit being tightwads with the hardware!!!

anon(8532178)

Feb 12, 2014
Visit site
Hi guys i need a new phone, I've whittled it down to these 2. I'm currently on android which I don't hate, but find it a bit messy. I use to be on windows phone, I had an L920, which broke so I thought I'd try android. I really liked windows phone and am tempted to come back. But I'm I looking at the past through rose tinted specs, has much changed? For better or worse? I've read bad and good things about the 950, but it's had to sift through the crap of the clear anti windows bias in the tech world, to know what's true or false. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

On the Android front what is your price range? We can go from there. *Former WP user.

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android (LG V10 or Nexus 5x)

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
Personally I would say your experience with the 950 will vary from others as not everyone runs the same combination of apps and everyone's usage varies.

In regards to Android and the oneplus 3 there is a certain exploit flaw with Android and Qualcomm chipsets - rumours have it that the OnePlus 3 is also susceptible to this flaw as well.

The vary nature of Android makes it easier for people to reverse engineer the code to expose flaws.

I'm not saying stay away from Android or that it's bug infested mess, far from it - just being an open platform makes it easier. For instance it was ridiculously easy for users to access the Windows folder on WM 6.x and root a device.

In the end whatever you decide to do - will boil down to the apps you use on a daily basis and your usage habits. Use what works best for you.

Source:

Android bug fear in 900 million phones - BBC News

Ariel Takom

Aug 9, 2015
Visit site
I'd say get the OP3. The only highlight the 950 has over the OP3 is it's camera. Other than that, OP3 is your best bet. Stable OS, stable phone, stable everything.

Unless you really love the challenge, thrills, and bugs, go for the 950 and install the Insider Preview. It is miles ahead to what it was during its launch days (buggy mess, as most reviewers call it).

I myself am lucky enough to win a free Lumia 950 via Windows Central's giveaway recently. I haven't received the phone yet, but from what I've read here everyday, the 950 users generally agree that the phone is now a proper flagship (relative to Windows 10 Mobile, at least. It's still not up to par with Android in terms of features and apps).

Albatross2

Nov 7, 2014
Visit site
The 950 is no longer buggy or beta feeling. It's a solid piece of hardware that runs Win10Mobile(Phone) well. Of course the OnePlus3 is also solid hardware that runs it's OS well. I choose the 950 and live with the platform limitations. Oh, and I really like the camera on my 950!

worldspy99

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site

This!
Actually the 640 will keep you quite happy. I think spending serious dough on 950 is not advisable at this point. You are better off using the 640 and then waiting for some new hardware to pop up in 2017. Good luck.

mlbrowninsc

Mar 22, 2013
Visit site
The 950 is a great phone and I use mine on and off. My 6s is still my daily driver but the 950 has come a long ways with recent updates. I tend to view the windows 10 mobile experience as more of what you would have if you carried a laptop vs a phone. You won't have the apps like android you will be limited in most cases to what you can do on the browser. If you can't get by using the browser as you only option best to stick with android. I can do it for the most part but I hope that the apps will get better as Microsoft gets windows 10 and it uwp in place

Jack Neill

Sep 30, 2013
Visit site
If you had asked me a week ago, I would have said Android, but I just grabbed a 950 and really like it. I was down to a 950 or a G4 as my new DD and I chose a 950. I don't regret it 1 bit.

I also have iPhone 6 I also carry around with me everywhere I go tho, So I may not be the target market...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vascro