Should I buy (an) iPhone?

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
Use what works best for you, if you don't have a windows phone already and reside in the US get yourself a 640. So you can give WM10 a spin, as they go pretty darn cheap and will leave you plenty of cash to buy an iphone - which you can always resell later.

However be weary it is quite a lengthy process to update to WM10 on older WP8.x devices.

nwildcat

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
Tell me: Should I buy (an) iPhone now to bridge the wait for Surfy McSurface? Or get a Lumia 950 XL? Since iOS seems to have the best quality Microsoft apps the thought crossed my mind...

Thanks.

Have you already used an iPhone to do much? Because if you can, I'd try to use a friend's for a bit, not a minute, but like an hour. Play around with it and see if you like it. Everyone around me has an iPhone, so claims of how much better the experience is on the iPhone ring false for me. I use them all the time and although it has every app you could ever want, the experience is not my preferred one overall and it's because of the software, not the hardware. I wish IOS would've evolved a lot more than it has. But I'm on Verizon and something's got a give with my aging 928, so I'm moving to Android soon since I've figured out the iPhone would be kinda disappointing at times.

I'd try to figure this out for yourself before buying a phone if you can. It's possible the iPhone is the best phone for you, but giving one of the flagship Android phones a shot might be a better route depending on how long you feel you'll have to wait to get the next Windows Phone. iPhones certainly do hold their value for resale if you're not planning on keeping it. Personally, I'm leaning towards the Galaxy S7 because of the camera and having Glance-like features that I've grown accustomed to having on WP.

Krystianpants

Sep 2, 2014
Visit site
The iphone 7 may support the apple Pencil. The opportunity MS didn't take with the 950/950xl and of course even ios jumps on it quicker.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
The new Jet Black color is very nice. I like color but since that is actually black, that makes it very interesting.

Dinu Noroc

Oct 14, 2014
Visit site
Tell me: Should I buy (an) iPhone now to bridge the wait for Surfy McSurface? Or get a Lumia 950 XL? Since iOS seems to have the best quality Microsoft apps the thought crossed my mind...

Thanks.

I think you know better what fits you.

To be honest, I hate to see people go to other platforms, because, I think, i love to much W10/m.
I actually made a test on my investment in this OS, and used for 2 weeks an iPhone and an Android phone. I actually tried to enjoy it, but i couldn't. My productivity was so bad in that period, that my manager felt the need to call me on an one on one meeting :). Then I knew that i cannot perform well my daily tasks without my Windows phone.

But again. If an iPhone fits your needs, you must go for it.

steve_w_7

Sep 28, 2011
Visit site
I actually made a test on my investment in this OS, and used for 2 weeks an iPhone and an Android phone. I actually tried to enjoy it, but i couldn't. My productivity was so bad in that period, that my manager felt the need to call me on an one on one meeting :). Then I knew that i cannot perform well my daily tasks without my Windows phone.

Two weeks of using BOTH an iPhone and an Android phone is hardly an honest test of your investment. It takes longer than that to get used to an new operating system, let alone two operating systems simultaneously. When I finally ditched my WP for an iPhone, I felt like I was less productive for a period of time as well, but as I got used to it, I actually found that I became more productive than I was on WP - thanks to the better Microsoft apps that are available on iPhone vs. WP.

Ed Boland

Retired Ambassador
Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
This is true. It's crazy how well it generally works. Outlook is great and so are most of the services. OneDrive works well, for the most part. The only con is that you have to open the app to get your camera roll to upload.

I never have sync errors with Outlook ever (but yet, I have them on Android most of the time), kind of missing that.
Nope! OneDrive uploads in the background provided you have it set to. In the OneDrive app's settings there's an option for this, also, in the iPhone settings, background app refresh for OneDrive must be enabled.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
Nope! OneDrive uploads in the background provided you have it set to. In the OneDrive app's settings there's an option for this, also, in the iPhone settings, background app refresh for OneDrive must be enabled.
Cool, I never knew that, thank you!

FXi2

Sep 1, 2012
Visit site
No wireless charging, no USB 3, no fast charging, no back or search button, can't screen cast to Roku or Miracast device, no quick information on the home screen, no camera button, 2x the price by the time you factor all the accessories in, special power adapters needed wherever you charge it, so sure the iPhone sounds great.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
This is not an endorsement for the iPhone or T-Mobile but if you want a 6S or 6S+, they're $100 cheaper now than they were yesterday at Team Magenta.

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
Windows phone does everything I need it to do.

This is the biggest problem asking if I should buy an iPhone on a Windows Phone site. Just because you have a phone that does everything you need, it does not fit everyone.

After being in the Windows Mobile (pre Phone) and all the way to Windows 10 Mobile, I never tried anything else. I moved to Android to play and it's not as bad as everyone says. iPhone movers say the same (personally I hate the look of the iPhone icons, it's so dated).

The Problem with Windows Phone was, I wanted a smartwatch, after trying a Band 1 and 2 (both used for over a year), the lack of a solid smartwatch made me switch over. Also after all said and done, about 4-5 apps that I wished for on Windows are available on Android..

My Pebble time steel works awesome, I can even reply to texts via voice on the watch...something the Band claimed to support but, never worked solid... and the Pebble gets 7-10 battery life, no charging 3-4 times a week...

Windows Phone I loved you but, due to the lack of support from it's creator, it's time to move on.

to the OP, If you WANT an iPhone... go for it, it's your choice and your money.

Dinu Noroc

Oct 14, 2014
Visit site
Two weeks of using BOTH an iPhone and an Android phone is hardly an honest test of your investment. It takes longer than that to get used to an new operating system, let alone two operating systems simultaneously. When I finally ditched my WP for an iPhone, I felt like I was less productive for a period of time as well, but as I got used to it, I actually found that I became more productive than I was on WP - thanks to the better Microsoft apps that are available on iPhone vs. WP.

I am very familiar with both Android and iOS, but i never used them as a main phone. And my productivity mostly comes from synchronization between PC, Surface and the phone. Continuum plays a big part in my work as well. So when I switched to a new OS, i didn't had the same tools.
I don't agree that MS apps are better on iOS, i didn't felt any improvement upon the switch.

But this is my personal opinion.

roystreet

Oct 31, 2012
Visit site
I'm just like you Ed. I have tried multiple Windows phones & iPhones. I finally jumped ship & I'm oh sooo glad. I also 'broke down' :grin: and got an iPad Pro & I'm pretty happy with it. I can't do all things on it as easily as I can on the Surface, but it actually does things pretty good. Battery life is awesome and the stylus (I mean pencil :grincry:) is getting better. Of course, there are some things that take extra power to do & that's why I have the Surface Pro, but I rarely have to open it up. I've grown tired of MS mindset towards the future of Windows. iOS is definitely more geared towards mobile and that is priceless...It beats Windows 10 at it. Yes, it doesn't beat the desktop model though, but I'm finding I don't need that functionality nearly as much as I used to.

Last edited:

person13628

Sep 25, 2016
Visit site
it completely depends on your preferences. make a list of the top 3 things you require of a phone then compare that against an iphone.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss