iOS or Android which to move to.

Daniel Scanlan

Jul 26, 2016
Visit site
I really don't keep up on the phone differences when using Microsoft apps on iOS or Android. I want to know which will work better given what I do with my phone. I am very tied into the Microsoft world (developer for 15 years).
1. I use one drive and I like to keep my pictures synced
2. I have a Office 365 license and I like that it works across devices
3. I use the internet sharing feature frequently when working remotely.
4. I use my phone as my primary camera
5. I want to maintain my contacts and the "syncing feature" windows did so well between different social platforms.
6. Can I move my text messages to the new device.

Price is not much of an issue either. I would prefer a big screen to a small screen also. I previously had android based phones but they always seemed like I was in beta. The updates always seemed to be 9 months behind and they all slowed to a crawl about 1 month after I was eligible for an upgrade. I am not sure if that has changed with android or not.

I am leaning to iOS despite my hatred for apple.

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I really don't keep up on the phone differences when using Microsoft apps on iOS or Android. I want to know which will work better given what I do with my phone. I am very tied into the Microsoft world (developer for 15 years).
5. I want to maintain my contacts and the "syncing feature" windows did so well between different social platforms.

Price is not much of an issue either. I would prefer a big screen to a small screen also. I previously had android based phones but they always seemed like I was in beta. The updates always seemed to be 9 months behind and they all slowed to a crawl about 1 month after I was eligible for an upgrade. I am not sure if that has changed with android or not.

1. Both work. Android is more seamless. (iOS has OneDrive either accessing location data frequently in the background to get at the photos in the background or need you to open the app every once in a while to upload.)

2. Both work.

3. Both also work. Android has a quick toggle if it makes a difference.

4. You're looking at a fancier phone then. You can't go wrong with a newer iPhone. The Nexus 6P and Galaxy S7 are also forces to be reckoned with. Same with the Sony Xperia phones but I'd consider them for their smaller form-factor in the Compact models.

5. Both will work, assuming you sync your contacts with Outlook.com or other equally accessible service.

6. I believe neither will work.

At this point, Windows 10 Mobile has become the beta.

Android is okay, but it really varies across the board depending on what you get. I strongly recommend a Nexus phone or whatever Google is releasing next. I believe it's Pixel? Be careful with carrier-branded Android phones as carrier's can and often delay or cancel software updates entirely. (an issue W10M just solved) It has a bad-rap for security, but pick your device well and exercise common sense and you will be okay for now.

iPhone's are best for long-term software support and security fixes as well as the easiest one to recommend as it largely ticks all the boxes most people need. (Apple has the best track record in terms of time supported as well as speed-of-deployment) Although if you don't mind custom ROMs, you probably can beat Apple depending on the model.

FXi2

Sep 1, 2012
Visit site
I think you should go try out the IPhone 7 plus and see if the handling suits you. If you have something working you could also see how the Surface phone issue pans out. With security in Android you count more on luck and good behavior to keep you safe, not something I've seen work out well in a lot of cases.

Daniel Scanlan

Jul 26, 2016
Visit site
I think I am leaning to the iPhone. It's like picking a new sports team to cheer for because your home team folded. Giant ****** or Flaming turd sandwich.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
I think I am leaning to the iPhone. It's like picking a new sports team to cheer for because your home team folded. Giant ****** or Flaming turd sandwich.

If you do it, please let us know what you think. The cool thing is that iOS and Android both work well with Microsoft services, but I'll give an slight edge to iOS. Cortana is closed on iOS, so can't do much. It's better on Android though.

jlzimmerman

Jan 3, 2013
Visit site
It's good to see this thread. I'm almost ready to try something else just because of MS decision to give up wearables, the fact that my 950XL has had little issues since day one, and W10M continue to lose apps I reply upon, (Amazing Weather HD, Runtastic Pro, etc...). I would be going with something like a Note 5 or a iPhone 6 Plus.

I know that MS apps are fair to great on both Android and iOS, but which tends to be the better choice?

I am more interested in the features and stability of the following:
Groove - I listed to my library daily.
Bing - Love the bing search and the rewards even more.
OneDrive - Use it daily.
Outlook - Use it daily.
MS Office apps (OneNote, Word, Excel mostly) - Use it daily.
MSN apps - Weather and Sports.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
It's good to see this thread. I'm almost ready to try something else just because of MS decision to give up wearables, the fact that my 950XL has had little issues since day one, and W10M continue to lose apps I reply upon, (Amazing Weather HD, Runtastic Pro, etc...). I would be going with something like a Note 5 or a iPhone 6 Plus.

I know that MS apps are fair to great on both Android and iOS, but which tends to be the better choice?

OneDrive - Use it daily.
Outlook - Use it daily.
When it comes down to which is better, I give a personal nudge to ios because it manages connecting calendars and contacts better.

I don't know for all of the apps you listed but I'll share the experience I have with both OneDrive and Outlook on each one.

OneDrive:
-iOS: Camera upload is delayed unless you open the app and you are connected to Wi-Fi. You have to open OneDrive in order to directly access what is there.
-Android: It works just like W10M but better. Camera upload is instant and in a good amount of apps, you can directly choose from OneDrive.

Outlook:
-iOS: It works excellent! You can use your ms accounts and have contact and calendar sync like a charm and also instantly as well. Your outlook calendar syncs well with the Apple calendar. The only downfall is if you want to send a new email using an address from text (I.e. Someone texts you their email address), it opens the mail app instead of outlook.
-Android: It's a nice app. You can set it as default. Contact sync takes more work but it it's usually possible. Unfortunately, it only syncs contacts. It doesn't sync calendars at all.

Sent from mTalk

monzki

Dec 7, 2013
Visit site

I moved from Lumia 930, 830 then to iphone5 and now to xperia X

1. OneDrive sync works pretty well with Android. I can't remember syncing any images with iOS. Plus Google photos has unlimited cloud storage for pictures.
2. I think that would work with all mobile OSes
4. iphone camera quality are always exaggerated. I believe it's either S7 or XZ are better.
5. You can still use your usual W10M apps in android. For instance I use Outlook app in android. And it's a lot better than in iOS (performance wise).
6. Probably you can export and import with either.

Of all major android manufacturers, Sony has longer support with its phone. For example it still supports Xperia z3+ and is updated to Nougat Android 7.

If you still want freedom the same way you enjoy it with W10M (and more) and don't want your user experience dictated by the phone go with Android. Of all 3, iOS has the most inconsistent user experience of all 3. You're going to miss the back button a lot. The only caveat with Android, of course you know it already, is that there's a lot of initial setup. But once you get over that it's all good. Nougat to me is a refined Marshmallow.

nate0

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site

OneDrive - Use it daily.
Outlook - Use it daily.

Microsoft needs to be more friendly to other wearables. If your 950 XL supported/paired the newest Apple watch or a couple of different Android OS watches, would you use them with your windows phone?

PerfectReign

Aug 25, 2016
Visit site
I decided to go the Iphone route. Most of my Microsoft sales and tech team have Iphone devices. Amazingly there are more Microsoft apps on Iphone than on Win phones.
50d514e2c473a9cd297752276ae6b6cb.jpg

The only issues so far are the inability to copy files from PC to filesystem on the Iphone and having to use Itunes to copy rongtones.

Nice having apps like Outlook and Office work well.

Sedp23

May 6, 2015
Visit site
Android.

Functions more like Windows without the ios restrictions. Can download through the web browser and better file management

Sent from Idol 4s

nate0

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
Android if you want to customize your phone to look more like Windows. iOS if you want more the security W10M offers.

Arcturus Gonzalez

Sep 10, 2014
Visit site
I chose android and my first phone was a Motorola G3 and the phone was a piece of crap and now I have changed for an Oneplus T3 and I'm very happy with it. Recommended!!!!

Last edited by a moderator:

nickx91

Jul 6, 2017
Visit site
Android gives you more flexibility in working with your data, iOS doesn't give you that. Like accessing to files, downloading of PDFs, etc. I had hard time doing that. The things you have mentioned, iOS would do it more conveniently than Android.

Wbutchart1

Feb 20, 2015
Visit site
Android, with Android you can download arrow launcher and have really good office 365 integration. Works really well. IPhone is an inflexible brick, allows you to open apps but nothing further.

mark233

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
The way I think ........ I personally don't want my android phones to look and act like a windows phone. I just let android be android (for better or worse) --- to me making it 'look' like a windows phone is ...oh what's the word.....making the android phone bastardized in a sense. That's just *my* opinion.
I know some want to make the android look and 'feel' like windows. That's cool. I do personally prefer the windows mobile system aesthetically. However since using android (and iOS) I can appreciate their systems on their own merit....BUT --- I do have Cortana installed on my android phones---but it's a bit limited in a sense (not as integrated as the google assistant) lol.
Don't know if this post belongs here :shocked:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss