03-19-2017 10:53 AM
72 123
tools
    2017 has lots of things coming but Microsoft always have the least innovative way of implementing stuffs, or at most they have the best and fastest way of canceling innovative ideas and great ideas.. for example the McLaren that had the exploding tiles and force touch screen. What happened?? Microsoft killed such an idea which is making wave in iPhones and now Android calls it long press..
    Before they do any thing else they should fix what they already have. I am an X Canadian soldier living in Germany. I can not have my phone in English and have my location in Germany because then Cortana wont speak my language. ( English ) So I have to set my location to U.S. for Cortana to work. The only thing that I use Cortana for is to have my phone go into night mode because I work crazy shifts and night mode only works with Cortana. Because I have my location set to U.S. for me to buy apps I have to set the phone back to Germany then buy the app then set the phone back to U.S. Because my phone is set to U.S. I have to deal with dates and times that are U.S centric. FB and FB messenger are a complete mess takes for ever to load. I cant even complain seems I can't go to the store on the web or the phone to rate those apps for what ever reason. I use Grover pro as my podcast catcher and just about every time that my phone gets an update ( I am on the normal ring ) It breaks something in Grover pro and I have to reinstall it then down load all my podcasts again. I am on a prepaid plan that goes for 30 days all prepaid plans in Germany are 30 days long. ( not monthly every 30 days) Their is no prevision in the OS for a 30 day plan so every 30 days I have to tell my phone I have this much data for the next 30 days and when I reset my mobile data it does reset my Wi-Fi data. Everyone here is waiting for the surface phone but I will never be able to afford one.
    01-13-2017 04:17 PM
    It is a possibility. I already did the switch from my old Lumia 830 to a Honor 8 with this year as the L830 on WP 8.1 was starting to act up. I see this as a test year to decide on hopping for something that will work for me with W10, Samsung Note 8 or a Nokia 8.
    So far I find the switch mostly an improvement, missing the old WP 8.1 interface with all its goodirs but getting a bunch of working apps that I missed. So for evry down there has been at least a couple of ups and some same-same.
    01-18-2017 02:21 AM
    The windows phone UI is hands-on the best mobile UI I have seen (and I have even every major platform). But what Android loses in user experience, it more than makes up with customisation options and lots of apps.
    Microsoft had a great idea, but didn't know what to do with it. I do believe they haven't abandoned the platform, but they don't seem that interested either and that's where they fell behind. I was a avid wp fan, and I convinced many of my friends to get Lumia phones back when Nokia built them, but now I even I have moved to Android, not because I want to, but because the list of things I can no longer do with ease on windows phone has increased beyond what I can handle daily.
    But I am still looking forward to the surface phone, hope Microsoft gets it right. But for now Android will do.
    01-25-2017 02:44 AM
    The Nokia 6 and 8 are looking good. Can't wait till the end of the month till they are announced
    02-11-2017 06:06 AM
    No, I will not be moving to Nokia Android but for those that try it please let us know your experience.

Sent from my Alcatel Idol 4S
    Last edited by TgeekB; 02-11-2017 at 09:35 AM.
    02-11-2017 08:47 AM
    There's a lot of ex Nokia designers and employees working for the company producing these phones under the Nokia banner so there will definitely be true Nokia soul in them. I'm quite excited about them and can't wait to see what the flagship handsets look like (Nokia 8?). I really hope they have Double Tap to Wake and Glance/Always on Display as well as some other familiar Nokia functions. I jump between iOS, Android and Windows Mobile all the time and now Samsung are going 'edge' only with their Galaxy S series I might skip the s8 and get a Nokia this time around instead. I usually don't last too long on Windows Mobile too long as they usually frustrate the life out of me eventually especially with the app gap but I'm really enjoying my Lumia 950xl right now and thanks to the UWP apps for Facebook etc and a good WhatsApp app I'm really not feeling any frustration at all.
    02-11-2017 09:14 AM
    As beloved Nokia is back,,, am ready to move from Lumia 830 to Nokia 6,, how many of you are thinking the same??
    02-26-2017 06:49 PM
    Not doing it because it's just a brand. And the phone may not suit me depending on various factors beyond the Nokia name. There also are perfectly fine Android phones you passed over because "Nokia"?

Also, BlackBerry has my affection right now but tides change all the time. And also I was more loyal to Windows Phone as a platform than Nokia as the five letters on the phone anyway.

Also, moved to Phone Wars.
    02-26-2017 07:14 PM
    Nah, I'll pass.

I think I like the idea of the phones more than the phones themselves.
    02-26-2017 07:23 PM
    The so called "Nokia" phone is a brand name stuck on a phone not made by Nokia. Not the same.
    02-26-2017 07:56 PM
    I might buy one of those new Nokia 3310's just for fun and nostalgia.

Sent from my Alcatel Idol 4S
    02-26-2017 07:56 PM
    Yeah, I'm just waiting for the Nokia high end device...the Lumia 950 XL and windows 10 mobile did it for me, haven't seen such a bad phone in years
    02-26-2017 08:24 PM
    I am getting a Moto g5
    02-28-2017 07:46 PM
    Yeah, I'm just waiting for the Nokia high end device...the Lumia 950 XL and windows 10 mobile did it for me, haven't seen such a bad phone in years
    Update it to current production software. Ours work great and are great phones.

Support Microsoft Windows mobile phones, if you like them, or be part of the problem.
    02-28-2017 08:04 PM
    In the hypothetical situation that my phone were to die without warning, then yes, I would be going to android, my current choice would be a Sony Xperia Compact, otherwise, I don't want to leave WP (still on a L920 with WP8.1, 4 years now...) I wouldn't mind going to W10M, but the incentive just isn't there. The lack of apps isn't a major problem for me, but it just shows that the platform isn't getting support, and no one really cares about it. When the next big thing comes along, it's highly doubtful that it will come to W10M.

At this stage it's hard to tell what got sold from Nokia, meaning some of their cool tech may be with MS and no longer available, and in addition to that, the Nokia 6 doesn't look all that high end. Wait and see I think.
    02-28-2017 09:09 PM
    Update it to current production software. Ours work great and are great phones.

Support Microsoft Windows mobile phones, if you like them, or be part of the problem.
    I am on the latest production software...and my phone keeps restarting...but I don't want to discuss about it here, have a separate thread for it where a number of other users voiced the same concern...In general, at least for me...windows 10 mobile is a step back in time when compared to wp 8.1..and the 950 XL's design is just plain boring...i have a 920 and to this day, I look at it and go wow...Nokia was in a league of its own
    03-01-2017 06:00 PM
    I am on the latest production software...and my phone keeps restarting...but I don't want to discuss about it here, have a separate thread for it where a number of other users voiced the same concern...In general, at least for me...windows 10 mobile is a step back in time when compared to wp 8.1..and the 950 XL's design is just plain boring...i have a 920 and to this day, I look at it and go wow...Nokia was in a league of its own
    Re: Boring,
    The following are just my thoughts, not facts that I "know" to be true. I'm not even claiming they are "alternate facts".
    I think the design intent, all along for the 950 and 950 XL was to provide the ultimate design solution, one that could satisfy everyone by giving the option of replacing the entire shell, except for the face, with many different options. Some colorful, others elegant. Whatever solution the Owner wanted. My wife and I have beautiful phones with Mozo shells that get comments and compliments all the time. Yes, the base model is plain.

I know it's a hard thing, for most people, to wrap their head around. Most people wrap their phone in an ugly case.

Best Wishes
    03-01-2017 08:25 PM
    Re: Boring,
    The following are just my thoughts, not facts that I "know" to be true. I'm not even claiming they are "alternate facts".
    I think the design intent, all along for the 950 and 950 XL was to provide the ultimate design solution, one that could satisfy everyone by giving the option of replacing the entire shell, except for the face, with many different options. Some colorful, others elegant. Whatever solution the Owner wanted. My wife and I have beautiful phones with Mozo shells that get comments and compliments all the time. Yes, the base model is plain.

I know it's a hard thing, for most people, to wrap their head around. Most people wrap their phone in an ugly case.

Best Wishes
    Yeah, maybe if more people understood more about "design" they would know it's not just about aesthetics and putting cases and backcovers around phones to make it look good.

Atleast for me, it's how the phone is made, the way it feels, it's durability...thats the reason i use my phone naked and will never put a case on it...and my 950XL exudes none of that elegance or durability...and I can't bring myself to pay $30 more for something that's not worth it, especially when I paid $650 for it and it doesn't feel not function the way its supposed to
    Last edited by aimulaidni; 03-02-2017 at 06:32 AM.
    03-01-2017 10:06 PM
    Yeah, maybe if more people understood more about "design" they would know it's not just about aesthetics and putting cases and backcovers around phones to make it look good.

Atleast for me, it's how the phone is made, the way it feels, it's durability...thats the reason i use my phone naked and will never put a case on it...and my 950XL exudes none of that elegance or durability...and I can't bring myself to pay $30 more for something that's not worth it, especially when I paid $650 for it and it doesn't feel not function the way its supposed to
    Re: aimulaidni,
    Respectively, I'm sorry you are having a bad experience, but we are not.

Re: Boring: Just to clarify, I, also, have never put cases or back covers "around" my phones. I use them naked too. That is the beauty of the solution used by the 950 and 950 XL with the MOZO shells. They aren't a case nor only a back cover. They are a replacement "shell" body for the phone. It is 5 sided. It is the same svelte thin phone now with an elegant wood or leather or colorful finish. This is money well spent for a beautiful and satisfying personalizing upgrade. I think this is a genius solution to let everyone choose what they think looks great without adding any thickness to the phone.

Re: Design: Certainly, absolutely, "design" includes many other issues besides aesthetics including but not limited to, cost of production, retail cost, schedule, marketing factors, and durability.

That all said, I agree the 950 and 950XL phones don't seem like they would survive the many many drops to the floor that my previous Nokia phones survived without any damage other than maybe a nick in the side. I have made an extra effort to avoid dropping mine.

Best Wishes
    Last edited by Kevin Rush; 03-06-2017 at 11:43 PM.
    03-02-2017 10:26 AM
    Considering I've spent a solid 80,000 yen on a Sharp flagship... I'll probably hold off until the Sharp actually dies. I've learned my lesson though, no more carrier locked phones. This is an experience even worse than my LG G3 on TMO. So if Nokia sells a device I can use on Japanese networks, I'll be happy to purchase it.
    03-19-2017 07:45 AM
    It's not even the same Nokia company, it's a different company who has licensed the name.
    03-19-2017 09:57 AM
    Made up of mostly ex Nokia staff and designers and their headquarters are literally next door to Nokia's in Finland. Yeah, nothing like the old Nokia......
    03-19-2017 10:53 AM
72 123