Come Sail Away

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
These guys are ready to blow up. And about time too. I've been waiting for them to mature.

Sailfish OS and Sony Open Devices Program

Not just that, but look how they've bounced back from almost toppling over the edge. These ex-Nokia meego folks are tough. And if you've ever demoed Sailfish you know it could be the cat's meow. Gesture driven and well thought out. Love the "Live Covers" as well.

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
This reminds me, I need to hurry up with that Sailfish 2 review but I've been swamped!

I'll figure something out.

anon(50597)

Sep 28, 2014
Visit site
These guys are ready to blow up. And about time too. I've been waiting for them to mature.

Sailfish OS and Sony Open Devices Program

Not just that, but look how they've bounced back from almost toppling over the edge. These ex-Nokia meego folks are tough. And if you've ever demoed Sailfish you know it could be the cat's meow. Gesture driven and well thought out. Love the "Live Covers" as well.

https://youtu.be/Ysot1SNi_XA

Interesting.
So it can use Android apps if you chose? If not, what will be available?
No MS apps I presume?
They say secure. Anyone know if this is true?

Sent from mTalk on my SP4

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Interesting.
So it can use Android apps if you chose? If not, what will be available?
No MS apps I presume?
They say secure. Anyone know if this is true?

I want to look into how hard it has been targeted at hack-a-thons, but your run of the mill malware would have likely passed it by due to small user numbers thus far.

I'm encouraged by what I saw in the presentation (linked in the OP).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sailfish_OS

anon(50597)

Sep 28, 2014
Visit site
I don't think I would take on an OS this raw, at least not as a daily driver. If it takes off and proves itself then I welcome it into the fold.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I love that color, I have almost considered pulling the trigger on it more than once lol.

I'm very curious about all of this though.

I'm trying to figure out if I need a North American variant or a world model. They have the same world ready radios and either would be at home here on the GSM/LTE networks.

I have a feeling the NA won't see the official Sailfish ROM as fast as the world model, if it sees it at all. Sailfish has pretty well stayed out of North America thus far.

@Player Piano might have a better opinion on this. Seems he is more up on current news than I am.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
I'm trying to figure out if I need a North American variant or a world model. They have the same world ready radios and either would be at home here on the GSM/LTE networks.

I have a feeling the NA won't see the official Sailfish ROM as fast as the world model, if it sees it at all. Sailfish has pretty well stayed out of North America thus far.

@Player Piano might have a better opinion on this. Seems he is more up on current news than I am.

Hmm, that's a great question. Interestingly enough, as you said, they have similar bands. At least this way, you should be just fine.

I agree with you about the world model probably getting this too.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
If I buy an NA I get a warranty. Not so much for the world variant...

Although the number of times I've used a warranty for a phone is exactly 0.

giphy.gif

Player Piano

Jan 18, 2016
Visit site

The NA variant is the same except that the fingerprint sensor is disabled. Anytime I buy a Sony phone I buy from clove and get a UK version. Plus clove claims to give a 2 year warranty even for international customers.

anon(50597)

Sep 28, 2014
Visit site
I checked out the forums and it seems there are still a lot of issues with performance of the OS. If anyone jumps in please do let us know how it goes.

Ma Rio

Sep 28, 2013
Visit site
Massive support for these guys. I've been following them since they started (under the name Sailfish). They've been quiet lately unfortunately, financial problems 'n' stuff, but they seem to be past that. Can't wait to see what they have to offer, though unfortunately it seems like they don't have much for now except for the looks (stunningly beautiful OS). OEM support is just getting started, and the whole vision is TBH stuck in 2010. I don't know if they're ready for the shift that's about the happen.

anon(50597)

Sep 28, 2014
Visit site
Massive support for these guys. I've been following them since they started (under the name Sailfish). They've been quiet lately unfortunately, financial problems 'n' stuff, but they seem to be past that. Can't wait to see what they have to offer, though unfortunately it seems like they don't have much for now except for the looks (stunningly beautiful OS). OEM support is just getting started, and the whole vision is TBH stuck in 2010. I don't know if they're ready for the shift that's about the happen.

That's what I'm wondering. If they're another Android, aren't they too late? Unless they have something Android doesn't offer. Seems like they're still a long way from there.
Wouldn't mind playing around with one though if it didn't cost too much.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
COME ON WIN ANDROID (ADI)