Come Sail Away

editguy

Jun 12, 2015
Visit site
When I replied to your post I found the link there and was able to copy and past the link and watch it. Sailfish reminds me of Symbian (makes sense). I used Symbian for a long time before coming to Windows phone. If I was forced to go to another OS, I believe I would feel very comfortable with Sailfish. I'm looking forward to giving it a try.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
So the Xperia X came today and is updating to Nougat. Unfortunately I don't even have time to play with it since I worked 12 hours today and back for 12 tomorrow. Gotta get up at 3:30 am.

I will say the pictures on the internet don't do it justice. That Lime Gold is BEAUTIFUL. What a fantastic looking phone.

meattray

Surface Pro 4 Champion
Feb 15, 2017
Visit site
So the Xperia X came today and is updating to Nougat. Unfortunately I don't even have time to play with it since I worked 12 hours today and back for 12 tomorrow. Gotta get up at 3:30 am.

I will say the pictures on the internet don't do it justice. That Lime Gold is BEAUTIFUL. What a fantastic looking phone.

So what made you pick the Xperia X?

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
So what made you pick the Xperia X?

As shown in the video linked in the OP of the thread, and talked about in subsequent posts, the Xperia X is the first porting target for the collaboration between Jolla and Sony Open Devices Program to put Sailfish OS on the Xperia lineup.

I wanna be a sailor.

tenor.gif

editguy

Jun 12, 2015
Visit site
As shown in the video linked in the OP of the thread, and talked about in subsequent posts, the Xperia X is the first porting target for the collaboration between Jolla and Sony Open Devices Program to put Sailfish OS on the Xperia lineup.

I wanna be a sailor.

Hey, they told you not to run out and buy it yet. :smile:
It would be kinda cool if they were able to make it dual boot. Either way, though, I think I'm in. Heck, I didn't even hate Symbian. I would prefer something like this over Android or iOS. I also expect that they would do a better job with the camera than Alcatel has with the Idol. Where did you purchase your Xperia?

I had another thought. If Sony has an open devices program, why didn't MS hook up with them? Perhaps that's a rhetorical question.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
@editguy I know, I know... I jumped the gun, but I'm terribly excited about the idea of running officially sanctioned Sailfish. I've been looking for this a long time. I demoed Sailfish on my Nexus 4 in the 1.x version and fell in love with it. In 2014 I was in Italy and I almost bought a Jolla Phone to bring home, except it would not have played nice with US carrier networks.

It also says in the answers that dual SIM won't be supported, but since the Dual SIM is an adaptive tray (2 SIMs or 1 SIM + micro SD) I hope that just means that the second SIM won't work. That would not bother me and near as I can tell there is only one international model.

I'm betting heavily that the international model will get Sailfish long before the North American one (if that even gets it at all, Jolla has made a pretty wide path around the US and shows no interest in coming here directly).

Word is that Sony is working with Jolla to get the camera dialed in. It may not be as feature rich as the Android version, but I do believe it will be a solid shooter as Sony prides itself on camera and they don't want a poor representation here.

Here's the one I got: https://smile.amazon.com/XPERIA-F51...gb lime gold&qid=1492474805&s=wireless&sr=1-1 It was marked as Only 1 Left and I got it for $338... LOL then it went to Only 1 Left at $339. :winktongue: Still the best price I found on the 64GB international in my color choice of Lime Gold.

IDK why Microsoft hasn't proliferated some W10M ROMS. A certain class of user loves flashing and will try most anything. That is a better fast track to getting 3rd party OEMs on board most likely...

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Here's the one I got: https://smile.amazon.com/XPERIA-F512...ireless&sr=1-1 It was marked as Only 1 Left and I got it for $338... LOL then it went to Only 1 Left at $339. Still the best price I found on the 64GB international in my color choice of Lime Gold.

FWIW, the item shipped fast from the US. Ordered it on a Friday and got it on the following Monday. It was originally slated for the Chinese Market from what I've seen on the bx and on the phone.

Now that I look closer it is actually a different seller in the link I posted. I just checked the link from my order history and somehow the seller switched from NGP Store USA to universal goods even if I follow the link from my order history. Same 99% positive ratings for the seller which is what made me pull the trigger...

editguy

Jun 12, 2015
Visit site
@editguy I know, I know... I jumped the gun, but I'm terribly excited about the idea of running officially sanctioned Sailfish. I've been looking for this a long time. I demoed Sailfish on my Nexus 4 in the 1.x version and fell in love with it. In 2014 I was in Italy and I almost bought a Jolla Phone to bring home, except it would not have played nice with US carrier networks.

It also says in the answers that dual SIM won't be supported, but since the Dual SIM is an adaptive tray (2 SIMs or 1 SIM + micro SD) I hope that just means that the second SIM won't work. That would not bother me and near as I can tell there is only one international model.

I'm betting heavily that the international model will get Sailfish long before the North American one (if that even gets it at all, Jolla has made a pretty wide path around the US and shows no interest in coming here directly).

Word is that Sony is working with Jolla to get the camera dialed in. It may not be as feature rich as the Android version, but I do believe it will be a solid shooter as Sony prides itself on camera and they don't want a poor representation here.

Here's the one I got: https://smile.amazon.com/XPERIA-F51...gb lime gold&qid=1492474805&s=wireless&sr=1-1 It was marked as Only 1 Left and I got it for $338... LOL then it went to Only 1 Left at $339. :winktongue: Still the best price I found on the 64GB international in my color choice of Lime Gold.

IDK why Microsoft hasn't proliferated some W10M ROMS. A certain class of user loves flashing and will try most anything. That is a better fast track to getting 3rd party OEMs on board most likely...

Thanks for all of the info. Since it's expected to be released at the end of June, I think I'll wait a bit on the purchase. Since the Jolla people are former Nokia I would expect a decent camera experience and, as you say, Sony takes pride in it. That's what's frustrating about the Idol 4S camera being inconsistent. It's a good sensor.
I'm really looking forward to this and the Xperia X looks like a nice phone. What do you think of it so far?

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
...That's what's frustrating about the Idol 4S camera being inconsistent. It's a good sensor.
I'm really looking forward to this and the Xperia X looks like a nice phone. What do you think of it so far?

Idol 4S has a Sony sensor LOL. But they let the SoC control it. There appears to be zero camera firmware on the thing.

The Xperia X is a nice phone. Great feel and balance. The hardware is pretty groovy. I'm still evaluating it, but the SD 650 seems very capable to me. Display is nice. Weather hasn't really cooperated for me to check sunlight readability. The screen is very punchy and vibrant when you use "Vivid mode" for the display.

It's a very attractive phone to me, although I don't like the camera placement, I prefer it in the middle and a couple centimeters down. I need to get out and take some more serious pictures with the 23MP shooter. And, hey, it has a camera button!!!

Idol 4S was my first fingerprint reader experience and it proved to be kind of a PITA. The fingerprint reader on the X is in the power button so it is a no brainer, tap the power and hold your finger on the button another fraction of a second and bam, unlocked. That is a pleasure to use. Hope that support for it makes it into Sailfish.

editguy

Jun 12, 2015
Visit site
Sounds like a nice phone. It definitely looks nice. And it's definitely great to see a manufacturer include a camera button! I'll be following this.

Drael646464

Apr 2, 2017
Visit site

They tried with the xiaomi mi 4. It was still buggy by the time they finished with it. Sailfish is open sourced and community driven. Little more open to tinkering. I think your basically stuck with re-writing all the drivers. Which if you were writing for someone elses model, wouldn't pay off that well. It would work much better with specific partnerships, but if the model were big enough, I think it'd be viable.

editguy

Jun 12, 2015
Visit site
Idol 4S has a Sony sensor LOL. But they let the SoC control it. There appears to be zero camera firmware on the thing.

The Xperia X is a nice phone. Great feel and balance. The hardware is pretty groovy. I'm still evaluating it, but the SD 650 seems very capable to me. Display is nice. Weather hasn't really cooperated for me to check sunlight readability. The screen is very punchy and vibrant when you use "Vivid mode" for the display.

It's a very attractive phone to me, although I don't like the camera placement, I prefer it in the middle and a couple centimeters down. I need to get out and take some more serious pictures with the 23MP shooter. And, hey, it has a camera button!!!

Idol 4S was my first fingerprint reader experience and it proved to be kind of a PITA. The fingerprint reader on the X is in the power button so it is a no brainer, tap the power and hold your finger on the button another fraction of a second and bam, unlocked. That is a pleasure to use. Hope that support for it makes it into Sailfish.

So, have you had time to play with the phone more under it's current Android configuration? If so, what are your impressions? How is the camera?

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
So, have you had time to play with the phone more under it's current Android configuration? If so, what are your impressions? How is the camera?

I've been driving it daily. Android is still Android, but the Sony skin is light and most nice touches. DTtW which I have turned off because the fingerprint reader is on and it is fast. DTtS which I do use.

I like the hardware a lot. The SD 650 seems very competent. The screen is nice and has some color tweaks.

I've not spent a lot of time with the camera yet, but that seems competent as well...

nate0

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
Thanks for the OP for reminding folks in other forums about this. I read up on Sailfish off an on only recently. I will start to read more into it this coming week. What is their current list of HW supported meaning how many devices so far? Or is it mostly focusing with Sony right now?

To answer another question I saw earlier in the threads about what they might have to offer to the game that Android does not already do...From first glance it seems their OS is Microsoft-like in that it is scalable through IoT, Enterprise, handhelds, tablets, etc type devices. If that is true, then I would say they are future proofing themselves too...So that is one good thing I noticed.

nate0

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
Also, I bet the OS has older roots and might be older than 10 years if you count where it is derived from. Reading more here it is based from a Linux distro created under Nokia. We all know how long Nokia has been around. Linux is not that old but has been around longer than 2011.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
powerupgo