Are workarounds a thing outside of Windows Mobile?

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
I realized something recently that I haven't seen discussed much at all.

When using Windows Mobile, it's commonly accepted that there would be workarounds but no one ever talks about the workarounds you deal with if you choose to use iOS or Android, while coming from Windows.

Some questions:
-If you use any of the other two, do you do any workarounds?
-Are they worth it or do you regret using time and/or money to do it?
-If you feel like it, share a workaround with us that you have done and/or do.

Let's talk about them, but can we be civil please?

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I just did one today on Android, since it claims it synced my contacts residing in Outlook and I can clearly see them in Outlook, yet they refuse to appear in my Contacts App...

So I synced from YouMail and lo and behold, there they are in Contacts.

grumble grumble

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
I just did one today on Android, since it claims it synced my contacts residing in Outlook and I can clearly see them in Outlook, yet they refuse to appear in my Contacts App...

So I synced from YouMail and lo and behold, there they are in Contacts.

grumble grumble

Yeah that is one of the most annoying things with Outlook and Android. Good that it worked out but it's silly that no one mentions this.

I paid for an app to make this happen with my contacts and calendar together.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
Contact integration is definitely an area where Windows smokes the competition.

As for workarounds on iOS, there are quite a few necessary for document handling thanks to the abysmal Apple Mail client. If someone sends an email as an attachment there is no way of opening it. There are no apps available to do this and your only option is to use the webmail version of your email provider.

Using a browser to accomplish something that an app should do, that's Windows territory right there folks. How's it feel?

Sent from Alcatel Idol 4S with Windows via mTalk

anon(50597)

Sep 28, 2014
Visit site

As for workarounds on iOS, there are quite a few necessary for document handling thanks to the abysmal Apple Mail client. If someone sends an email as an attachment there is no way of opening it. There are no apps available to do this and your only option is to use the webmail version of your email provider.

Using a browser to accomplish something that an app should do, that's Windows territory right there folks. How's it feel?

Oh, but that's different. 😉

Sent from mTalk on my SP4

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site

LOL @ your last sentence. You have a great point here, I didn't even think of document handling. I can imagine how annoying this is if you get a lot of documents.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
I haven't needed to do any workarounds on Android, but I use Aqua Mail for my email accounts. I use Google Calendar and Contacts.

Document handling is easier with Android, since I'm able to use any file manager app. My file manager of choice is Total Commander.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon