Hotmail account on Android?

petgutt

Jan 4, 2016
Visit site
I am sorry to say, but i am thinking about switching to Android.
Is it possible to use my hotmail-account as login to an android-phone and google play store?

What is the best "Windows"-phone with android?

Thanks for the feedback.

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Moved to Phone Wars.

Anyways...

1. You will want a Google account to sign into the phone and take full advantage of the Android ecosystem.

2. You can absolutely use your Hotmail/Outlook.com email, contacts and calendar with Android. There are a lot of solutions to that end, whether by downloading the official Outlook app, using Gmail, BlackBerry Hub, the default email app depending on the device, etc.

3. There is no definitive "best" phone. They will all run the same core Android platform. I know WC endorsed the OnePlus 3T which is an excellent device but I favor Google's Pixel devices and BlackBerry's devices but you may not agree. Samsung's Galaxy devices are solid for general use, all I say is that you will probably not want to get an Android phone from the bargain bin.

Devices I would start with is the BlackBerry DTEK60 or KEYone, Google Pixel or Pixel XL, Samsung's Galaxy S7, OnePlus 3T, LG G6... If you need to go downmarket, there are also options in the midrange as well like the Moto Z Play. But you'll probably want to start by figuring out your service provider, how big a phone you want, and what else you value.

shmsnh

Sep 27, 2013
Visit site
I just want to add that you can create a Google account using your current hotmail/outlook email. You will have access to all Google services (except Google Mail), but you can open a @gmail.com email later if you need it.

petgutt

Jan 4, 2016
Visit site
xandros9, thank you very much for your feedback, appriciate it.

shmsnh, i am not sure what you mean. When you start an android-phone, you will be asked to type in your google-id (gmail) and then it will give you access to google-email, google play etc etc.
Can i log in with my hotmail-account instead and allso get access to google play and other features in the phone, except the gmail?

Hope to hear from you and have a nice day.

nasznjoka

Aug 17, 2014
Visit site
xandros9, thank you very much for your feedback, appriciate it.

shmsnh, i am not sure what you mean. When you start an android-phone, you will be asked to type in your google-id (gmail) and then it will give you access to google-email, google play etc etc.
Can i log in with my hotmail-account instead and allso get access to google play and other features in the phone, except the gmail?

Hope to hear from you and have a nice day.
@xandro9 made it clear that you cannot have your non Google email as the primary email.. Every Android phone requires a Gmail email to be useful.. Later you can add any email you want

shmsnh

Sep 27, 2013
Visit site

I'll elaborate.

A Google account and a Google Mail account are not the same thing. All Google Mail accounts (gmail) are Google accounts but not all Google Accounts are Google Mail accounts. To use Google's services (such as Play Store), you will need a Google account. You can create a Google Account using your current hotmail/outlook email ID. If you use your current email ID, you will not have a Google Mail address by default.

I hope this clears things up.

petgutt

Jan 4, 2016
Visit site
Yes, and i have now done this and can confirm that SHMSNH are correct. I use my hotmail-account as a Google-account and it works great!
Thank you! :)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon