Post Processing

Muessig

Moderator Team Leader
Sep 30, 2012
Visit site
Over here in the 1020 forum I came across this thread: http://forums.windowscentral.com/no...ity-expertise-editing-touching-up-photos.html asking for different community input for editing, touching up photos. I offered in that thread to try to write a bit about the subject in a guide if there was enough interest, but I figured that since this is such a big topic I'd make a thread to see how much interest there is in the community for a resource like this.

Do you guys want to know how to take a picture from your phone to your pc and edit it in software like Photoshop to remove some of the noise, balance the colours and levels and different things like this to get the best from your pictures? How specific do you want the advice to be?

If there is any interest in something like this, post below any thoughts or comments and I can try to come back with something useful for everyone.

Duvi

Jan 1, 2011
Visit site
That would be awesome.

I was watching a video on the differences between Lightroom and Elements... made me want to buy both, actually.

gedzum

Jan 31, 2012
Visit site
That sounds like a good idea. When I had my Lumia 800, I sometimes used Photoshop Elements to adjust levels and to try and make colours more apparent. Since I got the Lumia 920 and with an app like ProShot, I feel like I can get better quality pictures in the first place. However, having a post processing guide would be a great reference for when I do want to use Photoshop.

Muessig

Moderator Team Leader
Sep 30, 2012
Visit site
So far we've specifically mentioned:

Adobe Photoshop
Adobe Lightroom
Noise Removal
Sharpening
Colour/Tone/Hue Adjustments
Cropping

What am I missing, or what needs to be added to the list?

Penny_1

Apr 14, 2013
Visit site
Other basics might be Shadows, Highlights, Exposure, Saturation/Vibrancy. Don't know if it's necessary to explain these though or if we can assume people will be able to play around with these.

What I would recommend is using a couple of real-world, common examples to demonstrate how you should actually evaluate your picture to see what needs to be done. Personally I just play around in Lightroom until I start figuring out what looks good for each picture, but I'd like to know the thought process for more experienced photographers.

Muessig

Moderator Team Leader
Sep 30, 2012
Visit site
That's a good suggestion Penny. Maybe the best approach would be to take specific pictures like a portrait, landscape, night shot and macro and talk through each one considering each of the above points. That way the guide would be as useful as it can be.

ParoleGA

Jul 23, 2013
Visit site
Other basics might be Shadows, Highlights, Exposure, Saturation/Vibrancy. Don't know if it's necessary to explain these though or if we can assume people will be able to play around with these.

What I would recommend is using a couple of real-world, common examples to demonstrate how you should actually evaluate your picture to see what needs to be done. Personally I just play around in Lightroom until I start figuring out what looks good for each picture, but I'd like to know the thought process for more experienced photographers.

What he said. Yes please.

Muessig

Moderator Team Leader
Sep 30, 2012
Visit site
Just to keep you up to date on this, I've not forgotten. I've been researching the various programs you can use and different techniques. I'll start writing the guide soon, but if you have any of the following types of pictures you'd like me to consider using in the guide, drop me a PM:
  • Portrait
  • Macro
  • Daytime Landscape/Subject
  • Night time Landscape/Subject

Muessig

Moderator Team Leader
Sep 30, 2012
Visit site
With the news that new Lumia's will be getting RAW support I've started to extend the guide further. As above, if you have a picture you want to be edited and it fits into the above categories drop me a PM. I'll try to get this guide up around the same time the 1520 comes out.

ejb222

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
I just downloaded the trial version of Adobe Lightroom 5. Works great. I'm going to have to watch some videos and play around some more in order to find it's full potential. Sample:
Lumia 920 "unedited"
2013_08_10_18_27_57_ProShot[1].jpg

Lightroom edit: I wanted to try to make the fly stand out more. Love the fact I can clean up the noise in the sky!
2013_08_10_18_27_57_ProShot.jpg

This one is more subtle...but cleaner and a bit more contrast due to better color...I think. I'm no pro so you tell me :p
from the Lumia 920
2013_10_19_07_27_26_ProShot.jpg

Lightroom Edit.
2013_10_19_07_27_26_ProShot[1].jpg

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nathanboro12