Lumia 920 camera performance GDR2 / Amber update

maverick786us

Sep 17, 2012
Visit site
Can someone show me a comparision of daylight pics taken by Lumia 920 afte Amber update with iPhone 5 and 925? How much performance boost do you think there is after this update? I believe you all most of us must be using Nokia Pro Cam shot as the favorite camera application. What is the best setting for taking good daylight snaps?

Dave Myers1

May 29, 2013
Visit site
Auto white balance has definitely been improved in most lighting situations. Either the post processing has improved or focus is more precise because sharpness seems to have been improved. For still photographay, I am very happy with the overall bump in quality. As far as video goes, the jury is still out. Nokia have definitely amped up the gain so videos are much brighter but unfortunately that means more noise. 1080p/24p is very nice in good light but in low light, videos are pretty grainy. If they would just include an exposure setting for video it would help address the issue.

maverick786us

Sep 17, 2012
Visit site
Would never underestimate the camera power of this great device. Lumia 920 would have been a bigger hit if then have would have released Amber with the launch. Can someone show a comparison with IP5 and 925?

anon(7900571)

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
Would never underestimate the camera power of this great device. Lumia 920 would have been a bigger hit if then have would have released Amber with the launch. Can someone show a comparison with IP5 and 925?

For that I would recommend YouTube just search lumia 925 vs iPhone 5 camera. You will get your answer. :)

Sent from my iPad using WPCentral Forums mobile app

maverick786us

Sep 17, 2012
Visit site
For that I would recommend YouTube just search lumia 925 vs iPhone 5 camera. You will get your answer. :)

why 925? Do you mean that after this amber update Lumia 920 performs just like 925? Earlier there were complaints that Lumia 920s daylight image quality was below iPhone 5 because of softness. After amber update I am curious to see how it performs compared to iPhone 5 in daylight. I know in low light photography it will below IP5

anon(7900571)

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site

Can someone show a comparison with IP5 and 925? You said this so I assumed you want to compare these 2.

Raghav Grover

Aug 15, 2013
Visit site
why 925? Do you mean that after this amber update Lumia 920 performs just like 925? Earlier there were complaints that Lumia 920s daylight image quality was below iPhone 5 because of softness. After amber update I am curious to see how it performs compared to iPhone 5 in daylight. I know in low light photography it will below IP5
from few of the posts from a german guy , i see that 920 is quite improved with Amber. Even my 920 with Amber takes pictures now with great detail and sharpness in daylight with all auto settings. In some cases 920 is performing better than 925 and i have used IP5 and i can say day light pictures are too awesome.

Shredcow

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
I don't have a comparison with the iPhone 5 but I think Amber + Pro Cam makes the 920 a much better photography device. There is better image quality in terms of focusing, white balance and clarity (sharpening is a necessary evil IMHO) plus the app allows for easy adjustments on the fly.

For landscape shots, I would usually reduce the exposure a little. Or I'd use HDR with HDR Photo Camera.

Here's a landscape shot I just shot with Amber...

Landscape Test (Amber update) by Shredcow, on Flickr

jrdatrackstar1223

Aug 15, 2011
Visit site
For me, camera quality is worse. I haven't taken any shots outside yet, but indoor photos have a yellow tint applied to them thanks to the post-processing done after taking a picture. This is a GDR2/Amber problem and not just Pro Cam, because the default camera app does this. The photo that is shown right after a picture is taken is amazing, but then when you swipe back and look at the picture from the gallery, there is a real yellow-hueish tint applied to the picture, and really ruined the photography experience for me...

Dave Myers1

May 29, 2013
Visit site
This seems to have been addressed with the latest Nokia Camera app (replaces Pro Camera). I really hope that the RAW option comes to the 92x cameras.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon