Came to Windows Phone because of the camera, but agree with this

D M C

Jul 7, 2014
Visit site
Unfortunately ms can strap the Hubble telescope to its phone....apple will sell more no matter what check out there record earnings this last quarter. I really wonder what kind of cameras ms needs on there phones to sell like iPhones and stop laying people off

I have ever given a thought that may be it's not the camera that sell iPhone more than any smartphone.
Something else may be like
Faster Updates
Numbers and quality of apps
Brainwashed Americans
...etc

paulxxwall

Jan 7, 2013
Visit site
I have ever given a thought that may be it's not the camera that sell iPhone more than any smartphone.
Faster Updates
Brainwashed Americans
...etc

Your right and wrong . It is faster updates,more and better app selection but I don't think its brainwashed. Apps don't leave the iTunes store ...on contrary! For WP customers like me hearing bad news like apps pulling support or there apps in general,no interest in developing apps for the platform. All these hopes and dreams have been part of ms for years but of course this one is different right?

matt john2

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
I did a camera comparison between my iPhone 6 and my L1020. Surprisingly the iPhone 6 beats the L1020 in most applications, speed, the auto is astonishing, auto white balance are mostly better in iPhone 6, focus is sometimes faster and more accurate, vibration reduction is also noticeable better on iPhone especially on videos, you wouldn't find much/any distortion in videos compared to the 1020 which almost of the videos I've taken have distortion, iPhone's camera software also offers fun(sometimes gimmicky) features. The only thing 1020 did better over iPhone/other smartphone are image quality, focal length and almost full control of the camera plus the dual microphone.

matt john2

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
Faster Updates
Brainwashed Americans
...etc
Multi OS user here. Additional to your post.
-Aesthetics are better than Lumia phones.
-iPhones look beautiful, iPhone 4s is solid made and still popular.
- Apple copied others idea but made it "better", its pros for users
- some official apps and Apple made apps are far, far superior than in WP or Android
- The OS itself feels well made
- More support( big advantage) than WP
- sound quality are better on iPhone
- and popularity-who doesn't want to show off?

Luisraul924

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
I did a camera comparison between my iPhone 6 and my L1020. Surprisingly the iPhone 6 beats the L1020 in most applications, speed, the auto is astonishing, auto white balance are mostly better in iPhone 6, focus is sometimes faster and more accurate, vibration reduction is also noticeable better on iPhone especially on videos, you wouldn't find much/any distortion in videos compared to the 1020 which almost of the videos I've taken have distortion, iPhone's camera software also offers fun(sometimes gimmicky) features. The only thing 1020 did better over iPhone/other smartphone are image quality, focal length and almost full control of the camera plus the dual microphone.

Probably because the iPhone just works. I don't understand why people bash on the iPhone so much. I used to, but then stopped one day and asked myself why? I've never owned an iPhone I had tried one, but trying and owning are two different things. So two years ago I traded my Lumia 920 for an iPhone 5 and it truly opened my eyes. It's a device that just works period. It may get boring to the tech enthusiasts that like to flash ROMs or the like, but for those looking for a device that just works; the iPhone is where its at.

matt john2

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
Probably because the iPhone just works. I don't understand why people bash on the iPhone so much. I used to, but then stopped one day and asked myself why? I've never owned an iPhone I had tried one, but trying and owning are two different things. So two years ago I traded my Lumia 920 for an iPhone 5 and it truly opened my eyes. It's a device that just works period. It may get boring to the tech enthusiasts that like to flash ROMs or the like, but for those looking for a device that just works; the iPhone is where its at.

True. And IOS is a perfected OS, iPhone is also a work of art, its just the fact that there are some reasons people(myself added) hate them because they are expensive, and there's always better/cheaper alternatives that are bang for the buck.

dicks-webos

Sep 18, 2013
Visit site
I got a 930 because it was cheap and has a 20mp camera and 4K. I also have a Pentax K3 but wanted something light to carry but which still has good quality. With Denim the 930 has been significantly improved. Speed, camera quality and battery duration. All significantly better. I like the separate camera button, that is much better than entering an unlock code, start the camera, etc. Yeah the camera on other phones may be "quicker" but on the 930 I hit the camera button and a second later can shoot a picture.

I've never had a iPhone and have no urge to try. The cost is x3 and the phone still has poor battery duration. The camera is at least on par with the 930 and in many areas below par (4K, etc.).

To the previous poster re. sound quality: do your homework. The 930 can record in Dolby Surround and has 6 or 9 microphones. Videos are a blast compared to iPhone.

Till now I've not regretted getting the 930 - on the contrary.

jason8957

Sep 20, 2012
Visit site
I wonder what you mean by better focal length. Would that not be dependent on what you wanted at the time? Or for a certain type of subject? For instance, you might want a longer focal length for a portrait than you would for a landscape. I have never used an L1020, is there a real adjustment for focal length?

I think that the set effective focal length of the L920, which I have, is about 26mm. This is not ideal for portraits, but good for a big picture with a deep field of focus. I don't know what is set on an iPhone.

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
I've never missed a picture with a Lumia.

1. Nearly 4 year old cousin...never missed pics during Christmas or birthdays

2. Concerts

3. Dates with the bf....when we are out and taking pics of the stuff around us.

4. Brothers sports events.....i never miss a shot.

Lumia is slower than competitors sometimes but having used an iPhone 6 plus and m8...there is nothing I am missing.

ajayden

Feb 26, 2012
Visit site
iPhone camera has only one mode to shoot, whereas Lumia has 2 modes to shoot. Let me tell you why.

Lumia is well equipped to take fast shots (point and shoot) and the more artistic shots.

1) Microsoft Camera - This is the point and shoot camera that included in all Wndows Phones so that we dont miss a moment. The camera loads faster by just pressing the camera hardware button (even from the lockscreen).
wp_ss_20150223_0001.jpg

2) Lumia Camera - A camera that allows you to bring out the photographer inside you. It for those shots that need some artistic ideas and preparation. It is for the photography enthusiasts who would like to capture great day and low light photos.
wp_ss_20150223_0002.jpg

So Lumia phones gives us a fast camera for point and shoot and also a Lumia Camera for those who want to change the ISO, Shutter Speed, Exposure, White Balance to take fantastic photos.

So basically Lumia phones(with speed and features) beat the iPhone even here.

blue1k

Sep 8, 2013
Visit site
iPhone camera has only one mode to shoot, whereas Lumia has 2 modes to shoot. Let me tell you why.

Lumia is well equipped to take fast shots (point and shoot) and the more artistic shots.

1) Microsoft Camera - This is the point and shoot camera that included in all Wndows Phones so that we dont miss a moment. The camera loads faster by just pressing the camera hardware button (even from the lockscreen).
View attachment 98008

2) Lumia Camera - A camera that allows you to bring out the photographer inside you. It for those shots that need some artistic ideas and preparation. It is for the photography enthusiasts who would like to capture great day and low light photos.
View attachment 98009

So Lumia phones gives us a fast camera for point and shoot and also a Lumia Camera for those who want to change the ISO, Shutter Speed, Exposure, White Balance to take fantastic photos.

So basically Lumia phones(with speed and features) beat the iPhone even here.
Wait till you try Lumia Cam 5. Then that fantastic quality gets thrown out for speed, high saturation and contrast, and higher iso. Quality is poor compared to Lumia Cam Classic and iPhone. Especially in HDR rich tone mode. Can't hold a candle to the quality of the IOS camera sadly.

ajayden

Feb 26, 2012
Visit site
What do you think about these photos? The photo was taken on Lumia 1020 with Denim and Lumia Camera 5.

1) Original pic
WP_20150219_12_29_51_Pro.jpg

2) Crop zoom from the original picWP_20150219_12_29_51_Pro__highres (2).jpg

blue1k

Sep 8, 2013
Visit site
What do you think about these photos? The photo was taken on Lumia 1020 with Denim and Lumia Camera 5.

1) Original pic
View attachment 98013

2) Crop zoom from the original picView attachment 98014

Lumia Cam 5 doesn't run on 1020. Only for 930, 1520, 830, and Icon. I have a 1020 too. Quality is crap sadly versus classic app on my 930 and 1020.
And 1020 never got denim. It's same firmware as Cyan but labeled as Denim (see 1020 forums)

ajayden

Feb 26, 2012
Visit site
Lumia Cam 5 doesn't run on 1020. Only for 930, 1520, 830, and Icon. I have a 1020 too. Quality is crap sadly versus classic app on my 930 and 1020.
And 1020 never got denim. It's same firmware as Cyan but labeled as Denim (see 1020 forums)

Oh then its worse for the iPhone cos it still has to beat the Lumia 1020 (without Denim and Lumia Camera 5).

blue1k

Sep 8, 2013
Visit site
Oh then its worse for the iPhone cos it still has to beat the Lumia 1020 (without Denim and Lumia Camera 5).

That it does but as pointed out the speed of focusing and shot to shot because of the old processer is a deal breaker for some. I guess it comes down to what you want: 1020 has unparalleled quality but not great for action photography vs the iPhone or Note4/S5 which can fire off full frame burst shots with ultrafast phase detection autofocus.

But you missed my other point which is that you sadly lose that trademark quality on Cam 5 that everyone loves with Pureview cameras 😞

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Does denim update really affect the image quality? I think its the hardware that matters more than software.

Nokia would often update the camera algorithms and such in firmware updates. The 920 for example saw some changes with Amber etc. (of course they have to stop sometime)

P1ng0fDeath

Jul 15, 2014
Visit site
-Aesthetics are better than Lumia phones
that's subjective. Very.

-iPhones look beautiful, iPhone 4s is solid made and still popular.
they are, and so are almost all Lumias (except the popular part)

- Apple copied others idea but made it "better", its pros for users
agreed

- some official apps and Apple made apps are far, far superior than in WP or Android
than WP, yes, some. Than Android, though, hardly any.

- The OS itself feels well made
so does the others in their way.

- More support( big advantage) than WP
describe "more support". Phone updates or user support?

- sound quality are better on iPhone
it depends on the iPhone and on the Lumia in question

- and popularity-who doesn't want to show off?
i don't. And most Lumias draw a lot of attention on their own btw, especially more striking models like the 925, 830, 1020 and 1520 and the colorful ones

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
killshot4077